BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Steve Thomas BMW

11-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
scutts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92M 6mt

Ive never driven Boxter - I'm sure it drives awesome, but I personally won't be able to sleep knowing that 911 exists.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutts
Ive never driven Boxter - I'm sure it drives awesome, but I personally won't be able to sleep knowing that 911 exists.
Then you wouldn't be happy with a regular 911...unless you had a turbo...gt3....gt2....gt3 rs....and finally the gt3 rs 4.0

I would be perfectly content with a boxster for a fun weekender. In fact my miata is my go to car to relieve stress over my gt3

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Longboarder
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.75]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
So I know that Porsches often pop up in comparisons to the M3 here, but the Boxster perhaps a little more so vs the Cayman and 911.

So here is my question and issue: I currently have a 12' GTI manual daily driver, which is staying. I want a 2nd, fun performance car. Space is not important, I am looking more for an exciting car to drive. For the M3 - convertible is not a necessity, If I find the right sedan or coupe I am just as happy.

I am in between an M3 with DCT, about 2009 - and at a similar price, a 2009 Boxster S with PDK.

I know the Boxster is the sports car here, but I have always been very excited by the M3 - great engine. I did drive a Boxster recently and was surprised at how fast it actually was, in fact seemed very close to the M3.

Any ideas here? Is the Boxster a no-brainer? I'm not myself yet, since the M3 is still very alluring with that engine.
1) Buy M3

2) Sell GTI

3) use M3 as daily driver (its even larger and more practical than the GTI where as the Boxer is completely impractical)

4) mod M3 with proceeds from sale of GTI

5) enjoy pretty much the best car on earth as stated in the link below.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=40
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
stylinexpat
Captain
Rep
Drives:

If you spend a lot of time doing city driving I would get the Boxster but if you spend more time on the highways I would get the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
Quote:
So I know that Porsches often pop up in comparisons to the M3 here, but the Boxster perhaps a little more so vs the Cayman and 911.

So here is my question and issue: I currently have a 12' GTI manual daily driver, which is staying. I want a 2nd, fun performance car. Space is not important, I am looking more for an exciting car to drive. For the M3 - convertible is not a necessity, If I find the right sedan or coupe I am just as happy.

I am in between an M3 with DCT, about 2009 - and at a similar price, a 2009 Boxster S with PDK.

I know the Boxster is the sports car here, but I have always been very excited by the M3 - great engine. I did drive a Boxster recently and was surprised at how fast it actually was, in fact seemed very close to the M3.

Any ideas here? Is the Boxster a no-brainer? I'm not myself yet, since the M3 is still very alluring with that engine.
1) Buy M3

2) Sell GTI

3) use M3 as daily driver (its even larger and more practical than the GTI where as the Boxer is completely impractical)

Actually, probably the best advice.....

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I wanted to dd an M3, but two big issues for me:

1.) poor mpg, and when driving 3000 miles in a month it adds up
2.) a bit too flashy- I do estimates for clients and the gti is much more low key.

So, dd gti and fun car boxster or m3. Leaning towards porsche.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #29
dfjaws
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 - '07 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
This.
      11-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
dfjaws
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 - '07 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
1) Buy M3

2) Sell GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
This.
      11-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
rondocap
Captain
Rep

Why do people seem to prefer the cayman s vs boxster s?

I've driven both, and roof aside they feel identical. I guess the cayman is better for the track with its roof and looks more like a 911, but that's all I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #32
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap
Why do people seem to prefer the cayman s vs boxster s?

I've driven both, and roof aside they feel identical. I guess the cayman is better for the track with its roof and looks more like a 911, but that's all I can think of.
Most car enthusiasts prefer the coupe version bc it's assumed they are both lighter and quicker. In the case of the Boxster and z4(e85) the convertible is actually lighter, bc the design was originally a convertible design.

I'll have to empathize with you about driving a low profile car for work....I drive a volt.....

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #33
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Hands-down M3 unless you want a little convertible.

Boxster/cayman is, in my not-so-humble opinion, a girl's/entry-level/poor man's porsche (even though they are pretty expensive).

Also pricewise by the time you end up in a cayman S with a couple options it's just a ton of money. And if you get one that's older and cheaper they're plagued with several common known issues.

Finally the boxster/cayman was one of the only cars that I've heard people say has a list of "required" modifications before you can take the car to a track. Sounded completely bogus and silly, but I read this many times on a couple forums and heard from one friend personally. Kept thinking these were just over anal enthusiasts but it seems to be a common issue. Not a deal-breaker for me but just one of the things that turned me off.

Obviously I'm biased though...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #34
rondocap
Captain
Rep

Hey guys- after much searching, I think I'm going to end up with a 09 Boxster S with pdk.

I love the m3, but we already have a bmw x3 35i in the family, so I think the boxster will be the better choice for me.

It's hard to choose, but the Boxster feels slightly more special for me - even though the m3 engine and dct are also stunning.

Hard choice indeed!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap
Hey guys- after much searching, I think I'm going to end up with a 09 Boxster S with pdk.

I love the m3, but we already have a bmw x3 35i in the family, so I think the boxster will be the better choice for me.

It's hard to choose, but the Boxster feels slightly more special for me - even though the m3 engine and dct are also stunning.

Hard choice indeed!
Good for you!!

You won't regret it

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #36
David 12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 BSM

Great choice, make sure it has the sport chrono option. Oh, and according to the post by Craigy, I hope your a girl!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #37
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Hands-down M3 unless you want a little convertible.

Boxster/cayman is, in my not-so-humble opinion, a girl's/entry-level/poor man's porsche (even though they are pretty expensive).

Also pricewise by the time you end up in a cayman S with a couple options it's just a ton of money. And if you get one that's older and cheaper they're plagued with several common known issues.

Finally the boxster/cayman was one of the only cars that I've heard people say has a list of "required" modifications before you can take the car to a track. Sounded completely bogus and silly, but I read this many times on a couple forums and heard from one friend personally. Kept thinking these were just over anal enthusiasts but it seems to be a common issue. Not a deal-breaker for me but just one of the things that turned me off.

Obviously I'm biased though...
Or boxster if you want easily the best handling car at any price and one that handles better than any bmw made without question.

Boxsters and caymans don't need anything to be tracked. Of all car manuf Porsches are THE most track ready from the factory and are tested far harder than any owner will do to them, same can't be said for many cars

You're confusing the boxster for the m3 since it needs to be modded to be track ready especially in the braking area where porsche dont have ANY issue. I've owned both btw and would never said the m3 is anywhere close to as track ready as any porsche sports car.

And the new boxster/cayman have a road presence the m3 doesn't as they have an exotic look and are far better drivers cars than anything M.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
Rep

Quote:

Hard choice indeed!
You'll be much better off and happier in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Or boxster if you want easily the best handling car at any price and one that handles better than any bmw made without question.

Boxsters and caymans don't need anything to be tracked. Of all car manuf Porsches are THE most track ready from the factory and are tested far harder than any owner will do to them, same can't be said for many cars

You're confusing the boxster for the m3 since it needs to be modded to be track ready especially in the braking area where porsche dont have ANY issue. I've owned both btw and would never said the m3 is anywhere close to as track ready as any porsche sports car.

And the new boxster/cayman have a road presence the m3 doesn't as they have an exotic look and are far better drivers cars than anything M.
Do you happen to be getting paid by Porsche to continually post this propaganda marketing crap? Do you have stocks in Porsche or something? Porsches are far from exotic. Except for the 918 Spyder, the rest are mass produced on an assembly line and are a dime a dozen on the street. As for track readiness, tell that to the 987.1 boxster/cayman owners who had their powersteering system melt or their engine burn oil and starve itself to failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
Do you happen to be getting paid by Porsche to continually post this propaganda marketing crap? Do you have stocks in Porsche or something? Porsches are far from exotic. Except for the 918 Spyder, the rest are mass produced on an assembly line and are a dime a dozen on the street. As for track readiness, tell that to the 987.1 boxster/cayman owners who had their powersteering system melt or their engine burn oil and starve itself to failure.
I did own a 987.1 and never had any issues. And those are very rare and not nearly as bad a blown engines from crap rod bearings that plague m3s. Or how about throttle valve issues on the e9x m3s, or shit sub frames on the e46 m3 or brakes that can't withstand more than a simple session at the track. That not even me me mentioning smg and oil problems for the e6x m5/6 too.
Fact is most cars have issues but Porsches are far more track ready and far more reliable and built better than anything else. I know plenty of actual people who really race boxsters at dozens of events each year and don't see those issues.
And never said Porsches were exotics except for a handful of models but said the new boxster and cayman have a more exotic look than an m3 which isn't exotic nor is anything bmw makes or has made exotic by any means.
Unlike you I've owned and have a lot of experience with both cars. My z4m too had plenty of issues including terrible engine mounts that were a common issue. I have a friend with a new f10 m5 who's car took 6-8 months to sort out steering and suspension problems.

And if Porsches are a dime a dozen what does that make m3s and other BMWS? LOL.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 12-08-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

Aren't Boxsters mostly bought by Ladies of a certain age?
If its a W/E car and you fancy a Porsche...at least get a 911.
Obviously the M3 is the better all rounder but I guess thats not what you are looking for.
      12-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #42
slicer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
I did own a 987.1 and never had any issues. And those are very rare and not nearly as bad a blown engines from crap rod bearings that plague m3s. Or how about throttle valve issues on the e9x m3s, or shit sub frames on the e46 m3 or brakes that can't withstand more than a simple session at the track. That not even me me mentioning smg and oil problems for the e6x m5/6 too.
Fact is most cars have issues but Porsches are far more track ready and far more reliable and built better than anything else. I know plenty of actual people who really race boxsters at dozens of events each year and don't see those issues.
And never said Porsches were exotics except for a handful of models but said the new boxster and cayman have a more exotic look than an m3 which isn't exotic nor is anything bmw makes or has made exotic by any means.
Unlike you I've owned and have a lot of experience with both cars. My z4m too had plenty of issues including terrible engine mounts that were a common issue. I have a friend with a new f10 m5 who's car took 6-8 months to sort out steering and suspension problems.

And if Porsches are a dime a dozen what does that make m3s and other BMWS? LOL.
Fwiw I had a 996 C2 that failed at a track day due to oil starvation. I would never buy a 986, 996, 987.1 or 997.1 for track use (even occasional use) unless it were a GT3 or a Turbo with a Mezger motor. It is well known that the early water cooled Porsche motors have oiling issues and IMS issues. I agree that all cars have their weaknesses (M3 included) but I think most people are under the impression that any porsche is track ready based on the brand's pedigree and race history. This of course is not the case. I nearly left the Porsche brand but ended up with a 987.2 Cayman for my wife and have been happy thus far.
      12-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
slicer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
As a driver's car, the Boxster S in on another level...drive them both and youll see why. The M3 will feel like an 18 wheeler in comparison to the go kart feel and precision of the Boxster S. Its really THAT much better. And then some.
I think the boxster/cayman platform is great but I find the M3 far more enjoyable to drive. I'm not sure sure how you arrived at this conclusion but it seems over the top and unfounded to me... And I own both cars.
      12-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #44
bluekn8286
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

The Boxster S is the sports car, but you if take into account future value, I think that the M3 has a better chance of being a future classic and therefore retaining its value (or even increasing in value). In that regard, I would go with the M3
Appreciate 0