BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #67
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I will be tracking with M1 0W-40 tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think.

If you have an oil pressure gauge, let us know what it reads. That's the best way to tell if it is adequate.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #68
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,783
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

I don't but there are a couple others going with me also running M1 that might have gauges.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #69
PandaM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Sent my sample of M1 0W40 with 5k miles on it to Blackstone. Will be able to compare it to the last 2 10W60 samples. Stay tuned
I just collected my 5,000 mile 0w40 sample as well... Need to send it, but blackstone seems to keep butchering my card info even after calling them and i keep getting a balance notice!!!

Ive got tws 10w60 samples to compare too as well
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #70
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,783
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

Track event complete. Track temperatures were much lower than the last time I tracked at Chuckwalla with Castrol TWS so there is no comparison. I had a successful track day with the new oil. Oil temps throughout the event hovered between 210 and 230ish.

Next time I hope to be able to post some oil pressure figures.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #71
shadye90
Captain
shadye90's Avatar
19
Rep
928
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Fanatic
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Hey guys here is a bit of info regarding Mobil 1 0w40 oil..I work for Porsche and it is the factory fill oil Including the GT3/Turbo cars and I also use it on my DD Fiat Abarth and after 3000 miles of Daily redline shifting running 24psi in NYC streets It does not burn one drop of oil..
__________________

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #72
Leonardo629
Major
United_States
13
Rep
1,206
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walnut, CA

iTrader: (9)

Very good information, thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Track event complete. Track temperatures were much lower than the last time I tracked at Chuckwalla with Castrol TWS so there is no comparison. I had a successful track day with the new oil. Oil temps throughout the event hovered between 210 and 230ish.

Next time I hope to be able to post some oil pressure figures.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #73
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
259
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Subscribed, look forward to seeing your oil sample, W///
__________________
Aug 2013: 2009 M3 Sedan DCT - Alpine White / Anthracite Speed Cloth
Mods: AA Filter, Fabspeed X-Pipe, Black grills and gills.
Sold in 2011: 2007 335i Coupe MT - Space Gray Metallic / Coral Red
Tracks driven: Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #74
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Track event complete. Track temperatures were much lower than the last time I tracked at Chuckwalla with Castrol TWS so there is no comparison. I had a successful track day with the new oil. Oil temps throughout the event hovered between 210 and 230ish.

Next time I hope to be able to post some oil pressure figures.

Cool, that's what I was expecting -- about a 20-30 F drop from 10w60.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #75
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Cool, that's what I was expecting -- about a 20-30 F drop from 10w60.
No, he says the temps at the track were much different than his last time there so it can not be compared.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #76
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
No, he says the temps at the track were much different than his last time there so it can not be compared.
It's not an air-cooled car so the difference is going to be small.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #77
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,396
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Guy's, here's the results I've been patiently waiting for. Surprise, surprise, lead went down.

FYI:
- First 2 oil changes in the report are Liqui Moly 10W60
- The guys at Blackstone are spot on. The car has been run as hard as it's ever been this summer on this oil sample. Probably 6-7 mountain runs, most of them I'm trying to keep up with a 991 C2S in pretty hot weather. Car definitely ran cooler too.

Overall very happy with the results!
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #78
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
259
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

W///, I received my first oil analysis and my lead was at 26 (high). 45,000 miles on my engine at the time. This was the first oil change I've done since owning the car, so I have to make a couple of assumptions at the time I changed my oil.

1) the last oil change was documented by BMW at 33,000 miles, so I can assume that was the last oil change.

2) I purchased the car with 41,000 miles from a Lamborgini dealer in Florida. I don't know if they changed the oil at that time, and if they did, I don't know what oil they used for sure.

3) Blackstone commented that my other wear metals looked "Fantastic" for oil with 12,000 miles and that there was tons of TBN (additive) left. This makes me think maybe the oil was changed by the Lambo dealer, but I don't know.

I've put Castrol TWS in when I changed it, and I've ran two track days. I'll run two more track days in March then change the oil in April and have it analysed. I might use the Mobil 0W-40 at that time and hope the lead drops either way.
__________________
Aug 2013: 2009 M3 Sedan DCT - Alpine White / Anthracite Speed Cloth
Mods: AA Filter, Fabspeed X-Pipe, Black grills and gills.
Sold in 2011: 2007 335i Coupe MT - Space Gray Metallic / Coral Red
Tracks driven: Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #79
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,396
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb View Post
W///, I received my first oil analysis and my lead was at 26 (high). 45,000 miles on my engine at the time. This was the first oil change I've done since owning the car, so I have to make a couple of assumptions at the time I changed my oil.

1) the last oil change was documented by BMW at 33,000 miles, so I can assume that was the last oil change.

2) I purchased the car with 41,000 miles from a Lamborgini dealer in Florida. I don't know if they changed the oil at that time, and if they did, I don't know what oil they used for sure.

3) Blackstone commented that my other wear metals looked "Fantastic" for oil with 12,000 miles and that there was tons of TBN (additive) left. This makes me think maybe the oil was changed by the Lambo dealer, but I don't know.

I've put Castrol TWS in when I changed it, and I've ran two track days. I'll run two more track days in March then change the oil in April and have it analysed. I might use the Mobil 0W-40 at that time and hope the lead drops either way.
Yea, I'd just keep the intervals low and keep a close eye on the lead ppm. There's a member that has high 20's ppm of lead and changed to M1. We're doing his oil change this weekend, so we should know within the next week if the lead level dropped significantly after going to lighter weight.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #80
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

You guys need to start getting TBN and TAN too. Only $20 extra, and it will help you understand if you can run the oil longer.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #81
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,396
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
You guys need to start getting TBN and TAN too. Only $20 extra, and it will help you understand if you can run the oil longer.
I hear ya. But $20 is almost the price of 5 quarts of Mobil1. At that point, I'd rather change it religiously at 5k miles
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #82
marksae
Second Lieutenant
marksae's Avatar
3
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

From an information standpoint, it's probably worth it because it'll tell you how long your change interval can be.
__________________
09 E90 AW ///M3 6MT
07 LBP S2K
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #83
PandaM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
You guys need to start getting TBN and TAN too. Only $20 extra, and it will help you understand if you can run the oil longer.
Dont worry... I'll be getting tbn... Already prepaid my sample after getting billing issues with blackstone sorted out... Just need to get around to sending my sample out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #84
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Guy's, here's the results I've been patiently waiting for. Surprise, surprise, lead went down.

FYI:
- First 2 oil changes in the report are Liqui Moly 10W60
- The guys at Blackstone are spot on. The car has been run as hard as it's ever been this summer on this oil sample. Probably 6-7 mountain runs, most of them I'm trying to keep up with a 991 C2S in pretty hot weather. Car definitely ran cooler too.

Overall very happy with the results!
Looks good. You should do another analysis later to see if the results stick with another fresh batch of 0w40.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #85
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I hear ya. But $20 is almost the price of 5 quarts of Mobil1. At that point, I'd rather change it religiously at 5k miles

But why change it before you need to? Are we really going to start talking about saving $20 instead of getting useful information? TBN and TAN are extremely relevant metrics that tell you if you're building up too many acids in the crankcase or if you've depleted the reserve alkalinity, both of which are far worse than some minor particle streaking.

Get the full picture -- even if it's only on a single analysis. That is how you will determine the correct interval and adjust accordingly. From what has been posted here, 99% of M3 drivers have no need to change the oil after just 5,000 miles. That change interval is just pouring perfectly serviceable oil down the drain. Without TBN and TAN you are flying blind; even the guys at Blackstone have said that you cannot determine if the oil needs to be changed just by looking at particulate counts or changes in viscosity.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #86
mdefalco25
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
187
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Golf R
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Normal, IL

iTrader: (0)

In for more details...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #87
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

FWIW, my last report (TWS for 7754 miles) showed TBN of 3.4 and TAN of 3.4 also. That means I had plenty of reserve alkalinity, and that there was not excessive acid buildup. I could've run to 9000 miles without any problems.

The car is driven about 66% highway/33% city...and 1% autocross/track.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #88
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Craigy's Avatar
2
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
But why change it before you need to?
Warm and fuzzies.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST