BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #23
335ifanatic
Major
 
335ifanatic's Avatar
 
Drives: 12' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC V8
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,064
iTrader: (1)

Amazing tech but god awful exterior. It looks like a Kia or Hyundai.
335ifanatic is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
KingOfJericho
Brigadier General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 4,986
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
I actually think it most closely resembles a Jaguar XF.

I have a few friends who's parents have them and I've taken a rip in the P85. It absolutely hauls ass. Power delivery is immediate and seemlessly delivered. The fit and finish was a bit iffy but that's normal for an early production car and will improve in time.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #25
secretsquirrel
Colonel
 
secretsquirrel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: land of the squirrel

Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (2)

The car is pretty awesome looking. I'm particularly interested in the fact that I could haul my two boys in the back section (safely) and still have room for 2 adults. There aren't many 3 row cars that can move like that one. This is a huge selling point for people with children who still want a peppy car. No reason to even bring gas savings into the equation because thats a well known fact.
secretsquirrel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
chumley
Captain
 
chumley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 701
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I actually think it most closely resembles a Jaguar XF.

I have a few friends who's parents have them and I've taken a rip in the P85. It absolutely hauls ass. Power delivery is immediate and seemlessly delivered. The fit and finish was a bit iffy but that's normal for an early production car and will improve in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
The car is pretty awesome looking. I'm particularly interested in the fact that I could haul my two boys in the back section (safely) and still have room for 2 adults. There aren't many 3 row cars that can move like that one. This is a huge selling point for people with children who still want a peppy car. No reason to even bring gas savings into the equation because thats a well known fact.
I'm with you guys. I have a friend who just ordered one. Assuming you are philosophically aligned with what the car offers, I don't see why anyone looking at a 5 series, E class or A6 wouldn't cross shop this.
__________________


PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, Alufelgen Hyperblacks, LUX V4
chumley is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
b0bab0i
Captain
 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 953
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I am confused are you buying Tesla S for fuel economy, and fast acceleration or are you looking for a great performance sedan.

Because if you are looking for a great well rounded performance sedan then Tesla S is the wrong car. For that type of price you should be looking at CTS-V, M5, E class AMG, or S6.

Now if you are looking for fuel economy, and fast acceleration then Tesla is a a very nice car. Just dont expect it to handle real well or at least on par with like of M5's, E AMG, CTS-V, and S6. The regenerative brakes makes the pedal non linear and wooden. The EPS in electric car tends to be even worse and more numb in general, and the car is designed with green in mind not performance. You want to buy a performance sedan buy an M5 right now some 2013 model are selling for 10K-12K discount.

I have a Optima hybrid at home that gets 36 mpg in Houston traffic and has unlimited range. No need to go insane looking for a plug and driving from plug to plug with range anxiety. It also looks stylish has plenty of room in back seats for 3. It has half the speed of Tesla S for 1/3 - 1/6 th the price of Tesla S depending which model of Tesla are you going for. The Optima hybrid comes with 10 year/100K warranty and cheap maintenance compared to BMW. The material fit and finish is very decent for the price and plenty of standard features.

The Optima hybrid is no performance machine nor a what we call a drivers car. Then again that is not its purpose or design. For that I have a tuned E92.


Anyways just my 2 cents
How many people that own M5, E-AMG, S6 take the car to the track? Im guessing less than 5%.
b0bab0i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
b0bab0i
Captain
 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 953
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I'm with you guys. I have a friend who just ordered one. Assuming you are philosophically aligned with what the car offers, I don't see why anyone looking at a 5 series, E class or A6 wouldn't cross shop this.
Because you can lease and get deals on those cars. A moderately spec'ed out 60kwh will end up costing almost $90k before rebates and they don't have true leasing programs. Tesla's "leasing" program is a loan-buyback.

Maserati is releasing the Ghibli to compete against 5 series and E class for $65k, but with options the car will be at least ~$85k.
b0bab0i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
F32
Banned
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SF

Posts: 688
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
How many people that own M5, E-AMG, S6 take the car to the track? Im guessing less than 5%.
Less than 5%? Yes...more like less than one tenth of one percent.
F32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
b0bab0i
Captain
 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 953
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Less than 5%? Yes...more like less than one tenth of one percent.
Exactly! And you have some guy talking about how performance matters on the street.
b0bab0i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #31
chumley
Captain
 
chumley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 701
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Because you can lease and get deals on those cars. A moderately spec'ed out 60kwh will end up costing almost $90k before rebates and they don't have true leasing programs. Tesla's "leasing" program is a loan-buyback.

Maserati is releasing the Ghibli to compete against 5 series and E class for $65k, but with options the car will be at least ~$85k.
Not sure what your point is? Not everyone buys a car based on whether they can get a lease "deal". Leases are supposed to be at the highest level ever but are still only around 25% of all new car sales.

Your Ghibli example is exactly right - if it's $85k and well equipped and your sample Tesla is $90k before rebates why is that not comparable to some people?

Not saying I would even buy one, just saying that to me it's comparable to a number of models in that class if you interested in something unique, unconventional, uses no gas, whatever the argument might be.
__________________


PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, Alufelgen Hyperblacks, LUX V4
chumley is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,154
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Brilliant car. If they made a Model S coupe the size of a 4 or 6-Series, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

LOL at the moronic posts above.
The Roadster is a little smaller, but a fun car from what it looks.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
KingOfJericho
Brigadier General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 4,986
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
The Roadster is a little smaller, but a fun car from what it looks.
The Tesla Roadster is the same size as a Lotus Elise (same body tub). It's MUCH smaller than both the 4 and 6 series.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #34
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ifanatic View Post
Amazing tech but god awful exterior. It looks like a Kia or Hyundai.
Nevermind.

Last edited by BlackJetE90; 10-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,158
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Really...I did not get anywhere near a Kia vibe sitting in the Telsa S.
Probably why the quote was about the exterior.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Probably why the quote was about the exterior.
Fail at reading comprehension today.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #37
335ifanatic
Major
 
335ifanatic's Avatar
 
Drives: 12' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC V8
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,064
iTrader: (1)

I'm sure the so called "LCI" model will clean up the exterior. That been said, I'm still a huge fan of the car because it's a techno marvel, I'm waiting for Telsa to setup shop up here in Vancouver because it's one car I would consider to replace my 7.
__________________
335ifanatic is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #38
TTG
...
 
TTG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 2,829
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
How many people that own M5, E-AMG, S6 take the car to the track? Im guessing less than 5%.
+1000....

Model S is a beauty..... Like someone stated, if there was a coupe version, I would seriously consider it.
__________________
Retired: 2011 E92 M3 AW w/ Silver Novillo ZCP, ZTP, ZPP, 494, 6FL, 507, 302 & 415.....ED April 29th, 2010
Retired: 2007 E92 335i -Space Gray, Black Leatherette + Alum, Nav, ZCW, ZSP, PDC, CA & Sunshade.....ED Oct 19th, 2006
TTG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
secretsquirrel
Colonel
 
secretsquirrel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: land of the squirrel

Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Because you can lease and get deals on those cars. A moderately spec'ed out 60kwh will end up costing almost $90k before rebates and they don't have true leasing programs. Tesla's "leasing" program is a loan-buyback.

Maserati is releasing the Ghibli to compete against 5 series and E class for $65k, but with options the car will be at least ~$85k.
This is true, but the money you can save on gas versus other cars in that price range is huge if you drive a good distance (like many people do for work). And lets not talk about the maintenance.
Did you know you can remove the engine with the removal of a couple of bolts? I think the transmission case comes out with it. Its small enough that you and another person could remove it with no machinery. The car has very few things that can break. This is the future...

secretsquirrel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #40
b0bab0i
Captain
 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 953
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Not sure what your point is? Not everyone buys a car based on whether they can get a lease "deal". Leases are supposed to be at the highest level ever but are still only around 25% of all new car sales.

Your Ghibli example is exactly right - if it's $85k and well equipped and your sample Tesla is $90k before rebates why is that not comparable to some people?

Not saying I would even buy one, just saying that to me it's comparable to a number of models in that class if you interested in something unique, unconventional, uses no gas, whatever the argument might be.
My point is that the Model S is not in the same class as 5 series, E-class, A6.
It's in the same class as the 7-series, S-class, and A8.
b0bab0i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (1)

Question is not how many but rather if you wanted to could you take it and if so how would it perform. Second, you don't have to take a car to the track to experience how well it handles, brakes, and that intimate connection of being one with the driver is felt in all situations and any spirited drive.

I hope you are not suggesting that one can only enjoy a great performance machine only on track.


Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
How many people that own M5, E-AMG, S6 take the car to the track? Im guessing less than 5%.
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #42
b0bab0i
Captain
 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 953
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Question is not how many but rather if you wanted to could you take it and if so how would it perform. Second, you don't have to take a car to the track to experience how well it handles, brakes, and that intimate connection of being one with the driver is felt in all situations and any spirited drive.

I hope you are not suggesting that one can only enjoy a great performance machine only on track.
Have you driven the Tesla Model S P85+, M5 , E63, & S6? If not, then how can you say that the Tesla isn't a well rounded performance car?
b0bab0i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #43
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (1)

Thinking that Tesla S may handle better then M5 is pipe dream. It weighs 4785 lbs. Those extra lbs will show up not to mention having 150hp less. By the way performance is not all about drag race. As there is far more to it then just that.

As for the video posted it ends for good reason at 100 mph. Because if it would have continued to 1/4th mile the M5 would have utterly embarrassed the Tesla S.

The Tesla 1/4th mile is 13.3 sec @ 104 mph.
The M5 does the same 1/4th mile in 12 sec @ 122 mph.



The same run was done from a rolling start and M5 would have embarrassed it all the way around again. LOL.....for god sake the car has a top speed of 137mph.

To have range anxiety is not my cup of tea. Now if they had a hybrid power plant I would like it a lot more.




Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I'd like to see one around a track with its magnetic suspension and low center of gravity. May not handle as well as an M5, but man, it sure accelerates like one . . .



This why I disagree about the Tesla S NOT being a performance sedan. I believe it is.
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out

Last edited by Kayani_1; 10-30-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #44
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (1)

A well rounded performance car for me would not weigh in close to 4785 lbs. That is a first. Because that extra weight would show up on track or off track in handling trade off.

If the cost was over 90K-130K for a performance sedan. Then it better be able to put up acceleration numbers that match up with cars in its class. A quarter mile time of 13.3 sec @ 104mph and top speed of 137 mph. Yeah that definitely sounds like on par with M5.

I would expect more form a well rounded sports car costing 90-130K. But maybe it is more your cup of tea.

Also, I am pretty sure you have driven all of those side by side on track and off track. If not....... then how do you know if it is as well rounded and can be on par with cars like M5, E AMG, and CTS-V while costing more then them.






Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Have you driven the Tesla Model S P85+, M5 , E63, & S6? If not, then how can you say that the Tesla isn't a well rounded performance car?
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST