BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
to///m
First Lieutenant
 
to///m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 ///M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 353
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Spacers installed... Shaking steering wheel

I just put on Macht Schnell 15mm spacers in the front and 12mm in the rear and my steering wheel gets shakey between 75 and 85 mph. I made sure the hub was clean when i mounted and everything was clear. All the bolts are torqued down properly.

Is there any reason why the steering wheel would be shaking after the spacers install when everything was fine before?? I dont see why the wheels would be off balance after the install and everything is tight...

Thanks in advance!
__________________

2010 LMB E92 ///M3 DCT
BPM Stage II | MS Test Pipes | AE Performance Exhaust | AA Filter | KW S/O Kit | Lux V4 | M-Perf Spoiler | Forgestar F14 Textured Gunmetal 19x10/11 | PSS 265/295 30
to///m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

Did you tighten the lugs with the wheels in the air without any weight on them?
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
///mawana
First Lieutenant
 
///mawana's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TX

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Did you tighten the lugs with the wheels in the air without any weight on them?
^^^ this but, also, you won't be the first to have shaking wheels after [MS] spacer install.
///mawana is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
to///m
First Lieutenant
 
to///m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 ///M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 353
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Did you tighten the lugs with the wheels in the air without any weight on them?
I tightened them but not torqued on them. So i might losen and then retighten in the air to see if that helps...
__________________

2010 LMB E92 ///M3 DCT
BPM Stage II | MS Test Pipes | AE Performance Exhaust | AA Filter | KW S/O Kit | Lux V4 | M-Perf Spoiler | Forgestar F14 Textured Gunmetal 19x10/11 | PSS 265/295 30
to///m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
to///m
First Lieutenant
 
to///m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 ///M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 353
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana View Post
^^^ this but, also, you won't be the first to have shaking wheels after [MS] spacer install.
What do you mean?? I figured they would have high quality spacers. I didnt know that was a known issue with MS...
__________________

2010 LMB E92 ///M3 DCT
BPM Stage II | MS Test Pipes | AE Performance Exhaust | AA Filter | KW S/O Kit | Lux V4 | M-Perf Spoiler | Forgestar F14 Textured Gunmetal 19x10/11 | PSS 265/295 30
to///m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,595
iTrader: (0)

M3 steering wheel is extremely sensitive. The same properties that give you amazing steering feel will also allow you to feel the tiniest of vibrations. The vibrations may be impossible to get rid of completely.

Here's what I recommend:

1. As others have said, torque to spec with the wheels unweighted. This will be hard to do on the front since there is nothing to keep the wheels from moving. What I have done is to tighten almost fully by hand just by using my other hand to provide counterforce, then lowering the car so the tire just barely touches the ground and tighten to full spec. I use 90 lb-ft.

2. Tighten all bolts in a "star" pattern. Basically you skip a bolt as you go around the circle so you are tightenng every other bolt. This will help get the wheel flat against the spacer and hub.

This is all you can do to minimize the vibration, but it may still be there just a tiny bit. I have a very small amount of vibration between 75-80, but not so much as to bother me. It also depends on the road surface and temperature. You tend to feel it more in colder temperatures.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
///mawana
First Lieutenant
 
///mawana's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TX

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
What do you mean?? I figured they would have high quality spacers. I didnt know that was a known issue with MS...
If you do a search here you will find there has been a **couple** reported incidents of such. Could be a bad batch or something, who knows,..
///mawana is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
What do you mean?? I figured they would have high quality spacers. I didnt know that was a known issue with MS...
I have tried turner and ms spacers. They all introduced slight vibrations to the steering wheel. solution = new wheels with better offsets.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
to///m
First Lieutenant
 
to///m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 ///M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 353
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
M3 steering wheel is extremely sensitive. The same properties that give you amazing steering feel will also allow you to feel the tiniest of vibrations. The vibrations may be impossible to get rid of completely.

Here's what I recommend:

1. As others have said, torque to spec with the wheels unweighted. This will be hard to do on the front since there is nothing to keep the wheels from moving. What I have done is to tighten almost fully by hand just by using my other hand to provide counterforce, then lowering the car so the tire just barely touches the ground and tighten to full spec. I use 90 lb-ft.

2. Tighten all bolts in a "star" pattern. Basically you skip a bolt as you go around the circle so you are tightenng every other bolt. This will help get the wheel flat against the spacer and hub.

This is all you can do to minimize the vibration, but it may still be there just a tiny bit. I have a very small amount of vibration between 75-80, but not so much as to bother me. It also depends on the road surface and temperature. You tend to feel it more in colder temperatures.
Heard on #1 and ive always used #2 when putting wheels on...

this is more violent then a small vibration though. you can physically see the steering wheel "shaking" as if you had an unbalanced wheel. I don't mind some vibration in the steering wheel, im referring to a feeling that is obviously not right...

Im beginning to think one of the wheels came off balance or something, im going to get it balanced tomorrow and see if that changes. I just dont see how the wheels came off balance just from literally taking them off and putting them back on with a little wider track??
__________________

2010 LMB E92 ///M3 DCT
BPM Stage II | MS Test Pipes | AE Performance Exhaust | AA Filter | KW S/O Kit | Lux V4 | M-Perf Spoiler | Forgestar F14 Textured Gunmetal 19x10/11 | PSS 265/295 30
to///m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Hujan
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,701
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana View Post
If you do a search here you will find there has been a **couple** reported incidents of such. Could be a bad batch or something, who knows,..
Agreed. I have never heard of anyone having issues with Turner. I go Turner for all my wheel-related needs (studs, lug nuts, spacers).
__________________
E92 M3: BPM Sport Stg. 2 | Akrapovic Evolution | Brembo GT 380/380 | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorschlags | RD Sport sways

E89 Z4 35i: Cobb Stg. 1+ | Evolution Racewerks FMIC w/ CP | Tial BOV | BMS filter | BMS OCC | BMS oil thermo
Hujan is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

Make sure you get the wheels hunter road force balanced. As someone else stated, the car is very sensitive to even the slightest imbalance. I have often needed to balance my wheels multiple times to eliminate vibrations even without spacers.

And I'm also a big Turner Motorsports fan. Their spacers, studs, lugs, etc are very well made.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
TiAgUSMC
Enthusiast
 
TiAgUSMC's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Yucca Valley, CA

Posts: 33
iTrader: (2)

To the OP, I have the same setup as you. MS 15mm front and 12mm rear. I had steering wheel vibration after the install. It vibrated between 70-80mph. I didn't have any vibration before. I know they were installed right. They were installed by EAS. I took the car to have the wheels balanced to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. After removing the wheels, I was able to remove the spacers with ease. They were not tight fitting. I noticed there was a little bit of play where the spacer sits on the hub lip and where the wheel sits on the spacer lip. I wrapped teflon tape around the spacer lip and the wheel hub. No more play. I took it for a test drive up to 90 mph and no more vibration! Problem solved! Give it a try.
TiAgUSMC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
to///m
First Lieutenant
 
to///m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 ///M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 353
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUSMC View Post
To the OP, I have the same setup as you. MS 15mm front and 12mm rear. I had steering wheel vibration after the install. It vibrated between 70-80mph. I didn't have any vibration before. I know they were installed right. They were installed by EAS. I took the car to have the wheels balanced to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. After removing the wheels, I was able to remove the spacers with ease. They were not tight fitting. I noticed there was a little bit of play where the spacer sits on the hub lip and where the wheel sits on the spacer lip. I wrapped teflon tape around the spacer lip and the wheel hub. No more play. I took it for a test drive up to 90 mph and no more vibration! Problem solved! Give it a try.
nice man. thank you for the input! sounds like we have the same exact issue. If i have time tonight i will try that if the issue is not fixed by the balance.

on the way home, i got a balance and had the tire shop torque the wheel in the air so it was a nice even fit. I haven't had the chance to take it over 70 but im about to take her out and report back...

Thanks!
__________________

2010 LMB E92 ///M3 DCT
BPM Stage II | MS Test Pipes | AE Performance Exhaust | AA Filter | KW S/O Kit | Lux V4 | M-Perf Spoiler | Forgestar F14 Textured Gunmetal 19x10/11 | PSS 265/295 30
to///m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Longboarder
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,705
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
nice man. thank you for the input! sounds like we have the same exact issue. If i have time tonight i will try that if the issue is not fixed by the balance.

on the way home, i got a balance and had the tire shop torque the wheel in the air so it was a nice even fit. I haven't had the chance to take it over 70 but im about to take her out and report back...

Thanks!
+2 as my 15mm MS fronts do not fit snug and were the likely my steering wheel vibration cause on my stock ZCP wheels.

I have two sets of 12mm MS spacers that fit snug.

Reminds me that I should contact EAS about the 15's.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
to///m
First Lieutenant
 
to///m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 ///M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 353
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
update: took the car out after a balance and torque in air and the vibration is still there... just as bad... starts at 70 and just shakes all the way to 100, i didn't go over 100...

after reading Maleks response i think im going to remove the spacers. Im disappointed that these Macht Schnell spacers are doing this and i am forced to modify something to make it work right.
__________________

2010 LMB E92 ///M3 DCT
BPM Stage II | MS Test Pipes | AE Performance Exhaust | AA Filter | KW S/O Kit | Lux V4 | M-Perf Spoiler | Forgestar F14 Textured Gunmetal 19x10/11 | PSS 265/295 30
to///m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
tjsabec
Lieutenant
 
tjsabec's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Uniontown, PA

Posts: 486
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
update: took the car out after a balance and torque in air and the vibration is still there... just as bad... starts at 70 and just shakes all the way to 100, i didn't go over 100...

after reading Maleks response i think im going to remove the spacers. Im disappointed that these Macht Schnell spacers are doing this and i am forced to modify something to make it work right.
I have the same set up as you MS 15/12 with ZCP (GTS) rims, I installed them myself and have had no problems at all with vibration. Sorry that i don't have any advice, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary when installing.. I did use wheel hanger pins, but I don't see how that would make a difference. GL.
tjsabec is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
Pertplus
Colonel
 
Pertplus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 C2S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m
update: took the car out after a balance and torque in air and the vibration is still there... just as bad... starts at 70 and just shakes all the way to 100, i didn't go over 100...

after reading Maleks response i think im going to remove the spacers. Im disappointed that these Macht Schnell spacers are doing this and i am forced to modify something to make it work right.
Where is Malek's response? Was it deleted?
Pertplus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
TiAgUSMC
Enthusiast
 
TiAgUSMC's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Yucca Valley, CA

Posts: 33
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
Where is Malek's response? Was it deleted?
I believe so.
__________________
2009 AW E90 ///M3 6MT
MS Spacers 15F/12R Dinan Stage 3 Suspension
OEM Exhaust Mod
TiAgUSMC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #19
Pertplus
Colonel
 
Pertplus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 C2S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUSMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
Where is Malek's response? Was it deleted?
I believe so.
....
Attached Images
 
Pertplus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
tinman831
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 771
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
1. As others have said, torque to spec with the wheels unweighted. This will be hard to do on the front since there is nothing to keep the wheels from moving. W
You could have someone step on the brake pedal.
tinman831 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
///mawana
First Lieutenant
 
///mawana's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TX

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
Where is Malek's response? Was it deleted?
Yeah, seems someone chopped it off. So much for balanced viewpoints!
///mawana is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #22
Pertplus
Colonel
 
Pertplus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 C2S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
Where is Malek's response? Was it deleted?
Yeah, seems someone chopped it off. So much for balanced viewpoints!
Apparently!
Pertplus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST