BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

INDustry distribution

10-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
spr
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Akrym front splitter install instructions/ advice?

Hi. I just picked up an Akrym front slitter. I put 3m tape all around the parts that contract the bumper and bolted it up. It went on fine, but I soon noticed the tape wasn't holding it on and there is now a gap between the lip and the bumper due to the real down force generated.

How can I make it stay on short of using betalink? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

FYI, I reviewed all the DIY threads and there is nothing really on topic for this splitter just the OEM performance ones. Thanks!

Here is the splitter below:

http://www.pyspeed.com/ARKYM-Aerospo...p/asp-fls1.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '08 IB E92

The 3M tape has a cure time. As in you don't get the maximum hold out of it for a while, I believe 3M says 24 hours. Make sure you are using 3M VHB (very high bond tape). Heat and pressure help when applying the part to the vehicle. Don't install the bolts for 24 hours or so. The bolts may be pulling the part away from the bumper before the tape has a chance to cure. You can also buy adhesion promoter which may help.

My Arkym lip stays on very well and has only small gaps just below the ducts. My point is, 3M tape should do the trick. 150+ MPH doesn't pull mine off at all.