BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
jeff4598
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 e90 AW/BB lotsa Dinan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

M3 as winter car?

Ok, so tell me if I'm nuts. Have 2009 with ~30K miles. Lusting for R8 manual. Live in NJ. LOVE how the M3 feels on Dunlop snows-yes much lower handling limits but they FEEL better to me than PSS's. Love balance of car in the snow.I only have garage space for one car. Thinking of leasing an R8 for the nice weather months and letting it sit in the driveway in the snow for the three winters I'll have it and garage the M3 for the long run as it's paid off, trouble free and I love it and keep the snows on it year round and drive it as my winter car. I'd have 5 seats if ever needed- kids older- preserve the car from the elements and if the Audi is a bit roughed up by a winter of snow and ice I'm gonna return it anyway. Thoughts?
jeff4598 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
GVFlyer
Large Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere in the air.

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

I don't know if this is a serious question, but it's certainly expressed in Faulknerian style.
__________________

GVFlyer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
jeff4598
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 e90 AW/BB lotsa Dinan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Serious.
jeff4598 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
DopeM3
M Power
 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Bad plan
DopeM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Millie
Second Lieutenant
 
Millie's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kamloops/Alberta

Posts: 241
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Ok, so tell me if I'm nuts. Have 2009 with ~30K miles. Lusting for R8 manual. Live in NJ. LOVE how the M3 feels on Dunlop snows-yes much lower handling limits but they FEEL better to me than PSS's. Love balance of car in the snow.I only have garage space for one car. Thinking of leasing an R8 for the nice weather months and letting it sit in the driveway in the snow for the three winters I'll have it and garage the M3 for the long run as it's paid off, trouble free and I love it and keep the snows on it year round and drive it as my winter car. I'd have 5 seats if ever needed- kids older- preserve the car from the elements and if the Audi is a bit roughed up by a winter of snow and ice I'm gonna return it anyway. Thoughts?
I don't see any problem with that, PSS's are absolutely perfect in the snow. Don't let anyone else tell you, but snow tires are a myth, just like public healthcare in the US.
__________________
09 E92 SG M3
Dinan Stuff
Millie is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (10)

Did I read this right? Lease an R8 and let it sit outside all winter...? Interesting idea...
__________________
'13 SSII M3 Coupe - KW Clubsport 3-way (Eibach Front Spring Conversion), Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Front Bumper and Gloss Black Mirror Covers, TMS Studs/Lugs, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Interior Trim/Center Console, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, BMWPedals Extended DCT Paddles, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/35/18, 295/35/18)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
isherdholi
Private
 
isherdholi's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

The R8 will be a better winter car as its 4WD

Other than that, bad plan
isherdholi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,412
iTrader: (0)

you know you are living life when you have a M3 as a winter car.
__________________
Ezio is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
jeff4598
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 e90 AW/BB lotsa Dinan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

NO- snows STAY ON m3 all year. R8 for none winter use only. If it's bad, how so? Need perspective. Thanks.
jeff4598 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,511
iTrader: (3)

The AWD car, with snows, would be the better winter car. And the R8 would still perform pretty well in the dry. I'd sell the M3 if you are going in that direction. Besides why make 3-4 months of lease payments a year for a car that sits?
pbonsalb is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
MWM3
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

you nuts homie
MWM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
05Mdriver
Lieutenant Colonel
 
05Mdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 414hp Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: pa

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
2005 BMW M3  [5.00]
First world problems
__________________
05Mdriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
typicaltrabes
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The AWD car, with snows, would be the better winter car. And the R8 would still perform pretty well in the dry. I'd sell the M3 if you are going in that direction. Besides why make 3-4 months of lease payments a year for a car that sits?
+1
typicaltrabes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Dougeefresh
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JB
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chitown

Posts: 186
iTrader: (0)

So RWD for winter, AWD for summer... what's wrong with picture?
Dougeefresh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,657
iTrader: (0)

Are you thinking about a V8 or V10 R8? Get an R8 V10+ on lease and drive it all year round (with snows in winter). I'm sure you'll like it more than the M3 unless you need the extra seating capacity. Don't forget you have to insure both cars too.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Are you thinking about a V8 or V10 R8? Get an R8 V10+ on lease and drive it all year round (with snows in winter). I'm sure you'll like it more than the M3 unless you need the extra seating capacity. Don't forget you have to insure both cars too.
^^^^ This.^^^^

If you can afford both, then you can afford the drive the R8 in winter.

Personally, I had a blast with both my e90s in winter with snows on them.



__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
AJ_MO
Private
 
AJ_MO's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E93
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Italy, Modena

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

I don't get it. Anyway R8, winter tyres and is wonderful winter machine. Hard Plastic lip so it can smash everything...the V10 has carbon lip so it's more delicate...

Mine with Pirelli snowsport before buying the M...
Attached Images
 
__________________

'08 M3 E93 DCT - Individual Diopsidschwarz/Palladium -19" 220 Gunmetal - 12mm H&R spacers - H&R Swaybars - BMC filter - M Performance grills - ECU - Zimmerann Rotors/Brembo Sport Pads
AJ_MO is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,412
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_MO View Post
I don't get it. Anyway R8, winter tyres and is wonderful winter machine. Hard Plastic lip so it can smash everything...the V10 has carbon lip so it's more delicate...

Mine with Pirelli snowsport before buying the M...
i would love to see that on the road.
__________________
Ezio is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
TOSKABG
vekize
 
TOSKABG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW E92/ZCP/DCT/
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belvidere,IL

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

M3 for winter and R8 for summer...very nice...
TOSKABG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST