BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
flea333
Lieutenant
 
flea333's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Bay Area, CA

Posts: 446
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Power button and Drivelogic

Two things I havne't found good explanations of --

1) What does the power button actually do? All I know is that when I press it I feel as though 50 more ft-lb's of torque are at my command. How is this possible?

2) What's the deal with the hidden 6th drive logic option? I don't even understand what drive logic does in sequential drive mode anyway. I finally figured out in Drive mode that it changes the shift points lower or higher and sooner. But in manual mode don't you control when you shift? Or does drivelogic do the same thing by shifting before the red line? I don't understand why DSC has to be off to use this mode also.

3) When do the shift indicator lights come on? I've never seen them light up and have gotten to 7k rpm.
__________________
2013 M3 LMB, DCT, ZCP, Premium, EPS, Bamboo Beige, Apps, sunroof
flea333 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
 
jamze132's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X6M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Posts: 258
iTrader: (0)

Since you don't know your ///M, can I have it?
jamze132 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
MysticBlue
Major
 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

Posts: 1,243
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
Two things I havne't found good explanations of --

1) What does the power button actually do? All I know is that when I press it I feel as though 50 more ft-lb's of torque are at my command. How is this possible?

2) What's the deal with the hidden 6th drive logic option? I don't even understand what drive logic does in sequential drive mode anyway. I finally figured out in Drive mode that it changes the shift points lower or higher and sooner. But in manual mode don't you control when you shift? Or does drivelogic do the same thing by shifting before the red line? I don't understand why DSC has to be off to use this mode also.

3) When do the shift indicator lights come on? I've never seen them light up and have gotten to 7k rpm.
All these things have been discussed a million times over the years, but I'm bored, so...
1. Power button should not be labeled "Power" button, it should be labeled "Throttle Position Sensitivity". That's all it does. The computer looks at throttle position, 0-100%. The button just changes the curve that the computer sees for your pedal position. The power button makes the throttle more sensitive at the beginning of it's travel. You push it in 50% and instead of seeing 50%, the computer sees 70%. 100% is still 100% either way. There is no more than 100%. No more torque, no more hp. The power button does not add any torque or hp. Go to a track event and I guarantee the instructor will tell you leaving it on normal is better. Smoother is better.
2. 6th position of drive logic only comes up as an option when you turn off DSC. My advice is that you do not do this. This is where you start if you are doing launch control, which I also advise you not to do at this point.
In S mode, higher settings cause the transmission to shift faster and more aggressively and to rev match more aggressively on downshifts. You should be able to feel the diffence shifting at higher rpm under heavy throttle and you should hear the difference downshifting at higher rpm. You should really be able to tell the difference between 1 and 5. Again, 6 is only going to happen with DSC off. No reason for you to go there.
3. Shift indicator lights can be turned on in settings, I think under M settings. I don't remember specifically, but if you search around in the menus, you will find it. If you don't have nav, then you can use the thingy on the turn signal stalk.. someone else will have to splain that, or you could search. It's here somewhere.
__________________
Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, AngeliBright halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 10-18-2013 at 05:22 AM.
MysticBlue is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,540
iTrader: (3)

Its amazing how some people purchase this car knowing absolutely nothing about it.
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
 
jimf15e's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NC

Posts: 341
iTrader: (1)

Even if you have the shift lights turned on, they won't illuminate unless in manual mode AND under pretty aggressive throttle.
__________________
2012 X5: BSM/Black/Sport Activity/STi-R+
(Sold) 2013 BMW M3: JZB/Black/ZCP/M-DCT
(Sold) 2010 Audi S4: Deep Sea Blue/Black/Prestige/S-Tronic
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
jimf15e is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
rpl77
Second Lieutenant
 
rpl77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 256
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
Its amazing how some people purchase this car knowing absolutely nothing about it.
I'm sure not everyone is an M3 expert when they buy their car. If you knew absolutely everything there is to know in this car when you bought it, then kudos to you.
__________________
2011 e92 M3, DCT, ZCP, Dinan exhaust
rpl77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,540
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
I'm sure not everyone is an M3 expert when they buy their car. If you knew absolutely everything there is to know in this car when you bought it, then kudos to you. I'm sure you've never started threads in the forum asking for help/advice
I knew basic things like what the power button does, what the different shift settings in DCT are for (even though I have a 6spd), etc. I also received a manual with my car that explained what all these functions did as well.
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
EvenSteven
Banned
 
EvenSteven's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 m3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 400
iTrader: (0)

RTFM and stop being a waste of air. You have a manual and I assume a brain, use them.

Mystic Blue is mostly correct, except Drivelogic has no effect on how quickly the DCT shifts. Once you reach D/S4, it starts powershifting, but the speed of the shift is always the same. Drivelogic also modulates torque/traction, which gives you that surge in higher settings, and let's you maintain traction on poor roads in lower settings.

Last edited by EvenSteven; 10-18-2013 at 08:07 AM.
EvenSteven is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

I can't believe it. It's 2013 and the E92 ceased production, this forum has been around for seven years, and still "what does the power button do", and when the dct lights come on? or
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
GVFlyer
Large Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere in the air.

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
All these things have been discussed a million times over the years, but I'm bored, so...
1. Power button should not be labeled "Power" button, it should be labeled "Throttle Position Sensitivity". That's all it does. The computer looks at throttle position, 0-100%. The button just changes the curve that the computer sees for your pedal position. The power button makes the throttle more sensitive at the beginning of it's travel. You push it in 50% and instead of seeing 50%, the computer sees 70%. 100% is still 100% either way. There is no more than 100%. No more torque, no more hp. The power button does not add any torque or hp. Go to a track event and I guarantee the instructor will tell you leaving it on normal is better. Smoother is better.
2. 6th position of drive logic only comes up as an option when you turn off DSC. My advice is that you do not do this. This is where you start if you are doing launch control, which I also advise you not to do at this point.
In S mode, higher settings cause the transmission to shift faster and more aggressively and to rev match more aggressively on downshifts. You should be able to feel the diffence shifting at higher rpm under heavy throttle and you should hear the difference downshifting at higher rpm. You should really be able to tell the difference between 1 and 5. Again, 6 is only going to happen with DSC off. No reason for you to go there.
3. Shift indicator lights can be turned on in settings, I think under M settings. I don't remember specifically, but if you search around in the menus, you will find it. If you don't have nav, then you can use the thingy on the turn signal stalk.. someone else will have to splain that, or you could search. It's here somewhere.
Good post, particularly your recommendations about the "Power" button - mine's welded in the "Normal" position.
__________________

GVFlyer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
You guys are dicks. Just help the guy out. This forum is going to shit with replies like that. Way to help a member out!
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,236
iTrader: (0)

It looks like this........
Attached Images
  
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.[/size]
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 9|Ridge 1:52:25|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,969
iTrader: (5)

these are all new topics to me continue.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
okusa
Lieutenant
 
okusa's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 575
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
You guys are dicks. Just help the guy out. This forum is going to shit with replies like that. Way to help a member out!
+1
okusa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
rpl77
Second Lieutenant
 
rpl77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 256
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU
You guys are dicks. Just help the guy out. This forum is going to shit with replies like that. Way to help a member out!
+1000
__________________
2011 e92 M3, DCT, ZCP, Dinan exhaust
rpl77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
 
OilPatch's Avatar
 
Drives: VW TDi & BMW M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Midland, TX

Posts: 338
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 VW Jetta TDI  [0.00]
I for 1 have found this thread quite enlightening.
__________________
2013 E92 M3 | Le Mans Blue | 6 Speed Manual | Competition Pack | Premium Pack | Cold Weather Pack |
OilPatch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
alpinweiss 335i
Brigadier General
 
alpinweiss 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 3,118
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Its amazing how some people purchase this car knowing absolutely nothing about it.

What is there to know? It's an M3!


I personally did not do to much research in advance of my purchase. All i needed to know is that it is an e92, and M3. That's about it. The guy was shocked when I said I didn't want to test drive it. I personally find it extremely rewarding to read and learn new stuff about the car everyday.
__________________
e46
e90
f30
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
alpinweiss 335i
Brigadier General
 
alpinweiss 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 3,118
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
You guys are dicks. Just help the guy out. This forum is going to shit with replies like that. Way to help a member out!

Ha! So true. Too many forum rat know-it-alls.


Thanks for supporting the new members.
__________________
e46
e90
f30
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
these are all new topics to me continue.
let us know when you upgrade to a E9X, then we can discuss the merits of M button.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
cambit
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

just to be devil's advocate, the search function on this forum sucks balls. this is 2013, we need a Wiki style compendium of all M3 knowledge.
cambit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambit View Post
just to be devil's advocate, the search function on this forum sucks balls. this is 2013, we need a Wiki style compendium of all M3 knowledge.
have you tried the advance serach feature?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/search.php

it'll narrow down the search
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant
 
TexasSpartan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, TX

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

I didn't know what the "M" button did when I bought my car. Like someone said, I knew it was a E92 M3. I test drove a couple at whatever setting the dealer had it set at and that was all I needed to know. It's disappointing to see when new people show up on the forum to see them get hammered by some of you. I consider myself still "new" as I certainly do not know everything there is to know about my car. When I installed my backup camera on my car I found a lot of useful information from people on here willing to help. True car enthusiasts will talk about their cars all day long even if it's about the most basic of topics.
If not for new members, this forum will die and given the current state of the admins banning people on a weekly basis, it may not take that long.
__________________
TexasSpartan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST