BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #1
chris719
Captain
70
Rep
679
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

BMW 1-day M school vs Porsche?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Has anyone done both or have thoughts on which they would rather attend?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Outlaw 06
TJD
Outlaw 06's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
1,006
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 / F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CCCP (Connecticut Soviet Socialist Republic)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 F30 328i  [0.00]
2004 E46 M3 Coupe  [4.50]
Have you considered taking a course at Skip Barber Racing School? They offer high performance driving programs too. Being instructed and coached by pros was an extremely valuable and humbling experience for me. I'm a graduate of the Skip Barber MazdaSpeed (MX-5) 3-Day Racing School, Advanced Car Control School and the MazdaSpeed 2-Day Advanced Racing School (3 times). I’m also a graduate of the dearly departed Hawaii International racing School (SCCA Spec Racers). It was during the first day of the 3-Day Racing School, when I quickly realized that I wasn’t nearly as good a driver as I thought I was (despite being a solo run group HPDE “veteran”). After many hours of professional coaching and hundreds of miles of scrutinized lapping, I’m definitely a more competitive, safer and MUCH better driver than I used to be. I know that the high quality professional racing instruction I received at Skip Barber was well worth the cost. FYI, Skip Barber Racing School routinely offers promotions, and these discounts make the school relatively affordable and a good value.
__________________
Vehicles:
2013 BMW 328i Sedan, 6MT, M-Sport
2004 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
cmo_93
First Lieutenant
cmo_93's Avatar
77
Rep
319
Posts

Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

I too have been torn on choosing a driving school.

The Porsche Car Control Clinic for 1K sounds nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Colonel
BEM-S4's Avatar
449
Rep
2,882
Posts

Drives: M235i, 328d, 328 Sport Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Look into ins as well I read somewhere not long ago that BMW is you break it you bought it. Could turn into a very expensive day.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Outlaw 06
TJD
Outlaw 06's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
1,006
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 / F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CCCP (Connecticut Soviet Socialist Republic)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 F30 328i  [0.00]
2004 E46 M3 Coupe  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Look into ins as well I read somewhere not long ago that BMW is you break it you bought it. Could turn into a very expensive day.
It's standard practice for driving and racing school students to have "unlimited" liability for crash damage. Think about it, would you let some stranger toss your car around on a race track with absolutely no liability?

At Skip Barber, crash damage can be limited to a maximum of $ 4,000 per incident by purchasing their insurance for an additional $250 per day or $500 per course. This insurance even applies to their wheel-to-wheel race weekends. It must also be noted that a student can have more than one incident over the course of a school or race weekend.
__________________
Vehicles:
2013 BMW 328i Sedan, 6MT, M-Sport
2004 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
davis449
Lieutenant
United_States
110
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

I did the 2-day PSDS. All instructors were race-licensed, professional drivers or ex-racing drivers. The thing I loved about it, and this isn't for everyone, was that there is no instructor in the car with you from the get-go. They ride one time with you at the end. You are split into groups, given the car, and they coach you over the radio through all of the track sessions. Typically they're in the car with you for the most of the drills one time only. I learn SO much better this way. I don't want to pay a lot of money to sit in a classroom for hours and be lectured about it. I learn by doing. The intro lecture was 45 mins. and and 15 of that was a fun Q & A session. They're idea of showing you the track is take you around it in the van and explain everything you should be doing as they are driving you through it.
__________________
2012 BMW 135i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Colonel
BEM-S4's Avatar
449
Rep
2,882
Posts

Drives: M235i, 328d, 328 Sport Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Look into ins as well I read somewhere not long ago that BMW is you break it you bought it. Could turn into a very expensive day.
It's standard practice for driving and racing school students to have "unlimited" liability for crash damage. Think about it, would you let some stranger toss your car around on a race track with absolutely no liability?

At Skip Barber, crash damage can be limited to a maximum of $ 4,000 per incident by purchasing their insurance for an additional $250 per day or $500 per course. This insurance even applies to their wheel-to-wheel race weekends. It must also be noted that a student can have more than one incident over the course of a school or race weekend.
Right I knew all that, was just pointing to a recent thread (that I didn't link) where this was discussed in depth. Not arguing with the logic, just trying to throw some info out for others so there are no nasty surprises.

That's why a lot of track day issues are towed off the track and down the street before calling insurance companies. None of that is covered either.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
TomD335xicoupe
Private
18
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2008 335XI coupe sport
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Maybe you have already , but if not, before you spend the money on a school why not do a couple of autocross events with your local BMW or PCA and at least two HPDE so you get a feel for your car and your ability to drive it at speed. First few DE events you will have an instructor more than capable to keep you safe and get you familiarized with the protocalls, terms and driving at a track. If you like it then spend the big bucks at a franchise school, at least by then you should be in a position to take full advantage of what you are paying for. Remember keep the shiny side up!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #9
Polo08816
Lieutenant Colonel
299
Rep
1,726
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
Maybe you have already , but if not, before you spend the money on a school why not do a couple of autocross events with your local BMW or PCA and at least two HPDE so you get a feel for your car and your ability to drive it at speed. First few DE events you will have an instructor more than capable to keep you safe and get you familiarized with the protocalls, terms and driving at a track. If you like it then spend the big bucks at a franchise school, at least by then you should be in a position to take full advantage of what you are paying for. Remember keep the shiny side up!
This makes sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:36 AM   #10
Phatcat
Lieutenant
52
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 2016 M5, 2016 M6, 2013 X5M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
Have you considered taking a course at Skip Barber Racing School? They offer high performance driving programs too. Being instructed and coached by pros was an extremely valuable and humbling experience for me. I'm a graduate of the Skip Barber MazdaSpeed (MX-5) 3-Day Racing School, Advanced Car Control School and the MazdaSpeed 2-Day Advanced Racing School (3 times). I’m also a graduate of the dearly departed Hawaii International racing School (SCCA Spec Racers). It was during the first day of the 3-Day Racing School, when I quickly realized that I wasn’t nearly as good a driver as I thought I was (despite being a solo run group HPDE “veteran”). After many hours of professional coaching and hundreds of miles of scrutinized lapping, I’m definitely a more competitive, safer and MUCH better driver than I used to be. I know that the high quality professional racing instruction I received at Skip Barber was well worth the cost. FYI, Skip Barber Racing School routinely offers promotions, and these discounts make the school relatively affordable and a good value.
I agree. I think if anyone wants to learn advanced driving skills, then he/she should attend the Skip Barber racing school. But if he/she just want to learn some basic skills like catching a slide or emergency braking, then Porsche or BMW school is enough, and a cheaper option.
__________________
2013 X5M, Full Akra, Velo Tune, KW V3
2016 M6 Coupe, 600HP CP, M Performance exhaust
2016 M5 Frozen Bronze, CP, Platinum full leather
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
davis449
Lieutenant
United_States
110
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
I agree. I think if anyone wants to learn advanced driving skills, then he/she should attend the Skip Barber racing school. But if he/she just want to learn some basic skills like catching a slide or emergency braking, then Porsche or BMW school is enough, and a cheaper option.
PSDS is SO much more than "some basic skills like catching a slide or emergency braking".
__________________
2012 BMW 135i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
SDH
Captain
219
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
Have you considered taking a course at Skip Barber Racing School? They offer high performance driving programs too. Being instructed and coached by pros was an extremely valuable and humbling experience for me. I'm a graduate of the Skip Barber MazdaSpeed (MX-5) 3-Day Racing School, Advanced Car Control School and the MazdaSpeed 2-Day Advanced Racing School (3 times). Iím also a graduate of the dearly departed Hawaii International racing School (SCCA Spec Racers). It was during the first day of the 3-Day Racing School, when I quickly realized that I wasnít nearly as good a driver as I thought I was (despite being a solo run group HPDE ďveteranĒ). After many hours of professional coaching and hundreds of miles of scrutinized lapping, Iím definitely a more competitive, safer and MUCH better driver than I used to be. I know that the high quality professional racing instruction I received at Skip Barber was well worth the cost. FYI, Skip Barber Racing School routinely offers promotions, and these discounts make the school relatively affordable and a good value.
Well said mr barber, couldn't have advertised you racing school any better myself
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST