BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Steve Thomas BMW

10-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
D88
Private

Drives: 2009 E90 BMW M3

Help : Overfilled and the Oil Level Sensor

So my oil level was about 25% down between Max and Min lines and I decided to fill it. I put in a quart of TWS and afterwards I'm getting a too much oil warning. So I did what a lot people recommended and drained the front sump. I took out about .5L to .75L. (Just an eyeball guess). Fire the car back up and again same warning.

I was down some oil already and since I practically took out what I put it I thought it would be below the max threshold but the warning is still up.

Here's the part I'm unsure of should I try taking out more and see if the light will go off or does that sensor need to be reset after getting that warning? Will I be fine driving it even after doing all the draining and with the light still on?

I wish BMW had a gauge showing how many liters/quarts you have in the car instead of this Max and Min crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Boostin FD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: F82 M4

Try cleaning the oil filler cap.
      10-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
SuckaGDog
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M5

Use the BC button and cycle through the options on gauge cluster till you see the oil level measurement and then hold BC button till it shows the clock which means it's resetting. Can only be done while car is idling and at operating temp.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong it's been a few weeks since I've had to check the oil level of an M3 at work.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
D88
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what would cleaning the cap do? Is the sensor affected by the cap?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
L4ces
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what would cleaning the cap do? Is the sensor affected by the cap?
Simple. Use a turkey baster to suck the oil out from the oil filter reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

The oil gauge signifies a litre/quart from min to max. It is not like a gas gauge where when it is on min it is empty. Once the car gets to the min it tells you to add 1L. BMW doesn't recommend adding oil until you get to the min line and the car asks you to add.
      10-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
4corners
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
I add a little every time the indicator shows the next level down. Usually less than a quart between oil changes. Why wait for the 1L warning? It's a machine like any other. I would guess BMW says not to add until the 1L indicator shows to avoid overfilling warnings. But with rod bearing issues, why wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
D88
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The oil gauge signifies a litre/quart from min to max. It is not like a gas gauge where when it is on min it is empty. Once the car gets to the min it tells you to add 1L. BMW doesn't recommend adding oil until you get to the min line and the car asks you to add.
Thanks for the info. It's good to know. Hard lesson to learn I'm just so anal about the car and I over reacted to a little drop in oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
D88
Private

So I was on my way to drain some more oil and held down the BC button to reset on the way (as SuckaGDog suggested). After the reset it cleared the warning and my oil was at Max level.

So if anyone gets the warning and drains the oil. You have to reset the oil level sensor. It seems as though once that excessive oil warning is set off it won't just go away after draining. You have to reset or it will still show the warning.

So case closed... Thanks for everyone who chimed in.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
meko
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: E92 M3

Based on what OP stated. The one liter added put you over perhaps a quarter of a liter. This is nothing to worry about. I had this discussion with BMW. I was advised from a solid source, that BMW will be changing the limit for overfill because it is too sensitive to overfill. Apparently a liter over will not trigger an overfill in the future. Just what I heard. Honestly, even if this were not true, a quarter or a half a liter over is nothing. Also it takes a number of measurements to get a good reading. If only they invented a thing to check oil with, like a dipstick thing.
      10-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
MilehighM3
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko
Based on what OP stated. The one liter added put you over perhaps a quarter of a liter. This is nothing to worry about. I had this discussion with BMW. I was advised from a solid source, that BMW will be changing the limit for overfill because it is too sensitive to overfill. Apparently a liter over will not trigger an overfill in the future. Just what I heard. Honestly, even if this were not true, a quarter or a half a liter over is nothing. Also it takes a number of measurements to get a good reading. If only they invented a thing to check oil with, like a dipstick thing.
This applies primarily to the N20 and N/S63 engines. The S65 will not hesitate to tell you it's over filled. Driving the engine over filled is more dangerous than under filled since it is possible cause foaming.
OP- you can also drive the car after a draining and/or filling and let the car recalculate its oil level next time. Holding the BC button is a short term measurement which isn't quite as accurate as the long term performed while driving. I believe it automatically done every 5km, but I could be mistaken. Also make sure your car is on level ground when measuring or in will be inaccurate.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
D88
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
If only they invented a thing to check oil with, like a dipstick thing.
Appreciate 0