BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
eternallx
2
S2ktoM3
 
eternallx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Posts: 207
iTrader: (6)

Umnitza V4 and other tweaks

Hello fellow enthusiasts, just wanted to share my newly done headlights thanks to Caesar and crew at Lightwerkz. Caesar is a great guy to deal with and updated me every step of the way, thats awesome customer service right there.

I had the AEs upgraded to Umnitza V4s, I know some guys prefer the V2s because they come out better in pictures for the point and shoot people but if you know what your doing then V4s come out just as good but much better looking in person IMHO. Plus, Lightwerkz deletes that ugly crossbar on the outer ring which really cleans up the look.


DSC00549 by idskyline, on Flickr

The housing and turn signal is painted gloss black but the projectors and corner lights left oem chrome. I just think the chrome looks good on white.


DSC00552 by idskyline, on Flickr

The projector itself was upgraded with ZKW clear lenses, Osram CBI bulbs, and some magic by Caesar which got me this amazing distance, cutoff and output. Plus that nice blue/purple hue. S2000s and BRZs get visible HID cutoffs... I was surprised and annoyed that BMW doesnt.


DSC00539 by idskyline, on Flickr


Yup I am very happy with their work and glad I got it done. And its something you can enjoy while driving at night too because I really really love the new HID cutoff.













































__________________
People don't understand people like us
eternallx is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
flipm3
27
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,781
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
WOW! That output and cutoff is VASTLY better than stock.

Caesar rebuilt the headlights on my E46 M3 with a FXR 3.0 Retrofit. His work way superseded my expectations. My biggest worry when doing the retrofit was the risk of fogging or condensation within the headlight assembly, like I've seen on other headlight retrofits. This was by no mean a risk with Caesar. After a heavy winter season, countless rain storms, and infinite amount of heavy car washes, not once has it showed any sign of condensation.

The only reason Caesar hasn't put his hands on my E90 M3 headlights is because I'm too indecisive on how I want him to paint the headlights...stock look? full blacked out? partial black out like yours? LOL

Awesome review. Great work Lightwerkz.
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
LightWerkz
5
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oakland, NJ

Posts: 534
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the review David!
LightWerkz is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
positiveions
105
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,520
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Looks good David
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
MWM3
2
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

uber dopeness
MWM3 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
r3zon8
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 162
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to r3zon8
+1 nice work!

Thats one clean M..
__________________
'13 AW E92 M3 ZCP / M-DCT / Macht Schnell / MPE / LUX V4 / 3M Wrap
-
r3zon8 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
JAdamz
4
M3NTAL
 
JAdamz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 443
iTrader: (1)

Looks great, I'm considering doing this mod once my Lux 5500K halos die out (great product for a direct bulb swap though).

I was reading up on the Orion halos on Lightwerkz's site. How does the "Night Controller" mode work? Does it dim the halos automatically or do you need to manually dim them somehow?

Also, it looks like the inner halos for the cornering lights do not have their LEDs spaced as closely together as the outer rings. It almost looks like the spacing from the v2 halos. How noticeable is the difference in person; is there any visible segmenting? Thanks!
JAdamz is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
M3PO
27
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (7)

Could you post an up close picture of what the top of the outer ring looks like please? Where there are no LEDs.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
LightWerkz
5
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oakland, NJ

Posts: 534
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Could you post an up close picture of what the top of the outer ring looks like please? Where there are no LEDs.
I didnt get any close ups of the OP's job, but here are some from our last conversion





You can see the full gallery here:
http://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/makemodel/bmw/e92/
LightWerkz is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
LightWerkz
5
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oakland, NJ

Posts: 534
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Looks great, I'm considering doing this mod once my Lux 5500K halos die out (great product for a direct bulb swap though).

I was reading up on the Orion halos on Lightwerkz's site. How does the "Night Controller" mode work? Does it dim the halos automatically or do you need to manually dim them somehow?

Also, it looks like the inner halos for the cornering lights do not have their LEDs spaced as closely together as the outer rings. It almost looks like the spacing from the v2 halos. How noticeable is the difference in person; is there any visible segmenting? Thanks!
Lux is great for a PNP upgrade

You can wire it in so it dims when the headlights come on, but so far we havent had any requests for this option.

The inner angel eyes are just as tightly spaced. However, up top where the wiring feeds out, there is a gap which is visible.

LightWerkz is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
PINHEAD
9
Motorsport Passion!!!
 
PINHEAD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3/997.2RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 978
iTrader: (8)

very cool upgrade
i remember lightwerks back in the E46 M3Forum days, I almost went with the upgrade with the FX/TSX projectors on my E46 through lightwerks but seeing I wasn't going to keep the car much longer, I didnt pull the trigger. Shame as Ill be out of the E92 soon, same story

but very good stuff nontheless
__________________
PINHEAD is offline   Monaco
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
eternallx
2
S2ktoM3
 
eternallx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Posts: 207
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Looks great, I'm considering doing this mod once my Lux 5500K halos die out (great product for a direct bulb swap though).

I was reading up on the Orion halos on Lightwerkz's site. How does the "Night Controller" mode work? Does it dim the halos automatically or do you need to manually dim them somehow?

Also, it looks like the inner halos for the cornering lights do not have their LEDs spaced as closely together as the outer rings. It almost looks like the spacing from the v2 halos. How noticeable is the difference in person; is there any visible segmenting? Thanks!
Not sure about this night controller thing but the AEs dim a bit when the headlights are on. turn it off and the AEs are at max brightness again.

Yeah, like Lightwerkz said the spacing is the same and theres no noticeable difference in output/brightness in person. Even that little dead space on the very top of the cornering light AE is barely noticeable when on.



And thank you to the rest of you guys.
__________________
People don't understand people like us
eternallx is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
Hujan
18
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,851
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallx View Post

I had the AEs upgraded to Umnitza V4s, I know some guys prefer the V2s because they come out better in pictures for the point and shoot people but if you know what your doing then V4s come out just as good but much better looking in person IMHO. Plus, Lightwerkz deletes that ugly crossbar on the outer ring which really cleans up the look.
Did you use a point-and-shoot in the photos you posted? Because they look too blurry in those photos, IMO. It's a big to-each-his-own kind of thing, but I opted to go with v2 on my OSS specifically because I could not find a single photo of the v4 that did not look blurry and "over-bright," in my opinion. But either way, it's a definite upgrade over stock.
__________________
E92 M3: BPM Sport Stg. 2 | Akrapovic Evolution | Brembo GT 380/380 | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorschlags | RD Sport sways

E89 Z4 35i: Cobb Stg. 1+ | Evolution Racewerks FMIC w/ CP | Tial BOV | BMS filter | BMS OCC | BMS oil thermo
Hujan is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
eternallx
2
S2ktoM3
 
eternallx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Posts: 207
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Did you use a point-and-shoot in the photos you posted? Because they look too blurry in those photos, IMO. It's a big to-each-his-own kind of thing, but I opted to go with v2 on my OSS specifically because I could not find a single photo of the v4 that did not look blurry and "over-bright," in my opinion. But either way, it's a definite upgrade over stock.
Most of the photos are from Lightwerkz, only the first 3 pics are mine.
__________________
People don't understand people like us
eternallx is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
M3PO
27
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
very cool upgrade
i remember lightwerks back in the E46 M3Forum days, I almost went with the upgrade with the FX/TSX projectors on my E46 through lightwerks but seeing I wasn't going to keep the car much longer, I didnt pull the trigger. Shame as Ill be out of the E92 soon, same story

but very good stuff nontheless
Lightwerkz did my 350Z lights back in '08! They are still going strong on a buddy's car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
I didnt get any close ups of the OP's job, but here are some from our last conversion
Thanks for the pics! These look much better than others that have a "bar" that spans that gap on the outer ring.

Are these available separately for us DIY guys?
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST