BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
5
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: Audi RS4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

New M3 review - From RS4 Owner

Had my drive in (but not of) the new M3 ot the weekend.

Not much time today to give my views, but in essence:

Pros:

1. Looked nice and smart - not too OTT, but just sporty enough to be able to live with without getting too much attention.
2. Engine - the undoubted star of the car. I found that the engine contradicted much of what I had read. My everyday car is an RS4 - to me the M3 engine was louder, with a harder edge soundtrack and felt stronger and quicker than my RS4.

Cons:

1. Interior - To me, the interior was very plain and ordinary - not enough to stop me from buying the car - but none the less a disappointment - in fact it felt virtually no different to a base M Sport model.
2. The power bulge, just too large and cartoon like - my only dislike of the exterior.

Overall - is it better than my RS4 - no. Is the RS4 better than the M3 - no.

Actually they are both great cars doing the same thing in a slightly different way. The M3 may be slightly more entertaining to drive in good conditions, and the RS4 probably slightly easier to use day to day.

Certainly after the drive, the M3 will very definitely remain on my list of next cars - if the dual gearbox is good, then it will likely be my next car.

What is worrying in the UK though was that I was offered two speccable cars for delivery before Christmas. The last M3 was virtually unobtainable in the UK for 18 months after launch - now this new model's wait is similar to ordering a base 3 series coupe or indeed a VW golf! This can not be good for residuals!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil
130
Rep
10,918
Posts

 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (25)

Any pics of your RS4?

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 10-15-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
2002 Tii
Private
1
Rep
85
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S JCW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Thank you for your impressions Moss. Just curious; do you know how much the price incresed from the E46? A big price jump could explain the cooler market.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
6
Rep
629
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (1)

I too was offered a specable car for late Dec delivery. This is a little worrying. IMO BMW have priced the car a couple of grand too high and/or people are giving up there spots in the waiting list for the DCT tranny
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,782
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

BMW is planning to sell 100,000 M3's world wide. Thats a lot and significantly more than any pervious M3.

There is just much more supply

jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Leg
Captain
32
Rep
844
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2007
Location: York, England

iTrader: (0)

Funnily enough my dealer has just offered me a December delivery after stating July 08 when I ordered it in May. As it is I canttake it until April (when I get my divvys). He reckons its because of people going for the Cab and Saloon as well as the DCT, none of which I am interested in.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
NavNurs's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
308
Posts

 
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the insightful post! What a refreshing change from the speculative bs we typically see.

It will be good when we finally see the US pricing and how it impacts waiting lists. If they get greedy, moving 100K units may become difficult. It would be a shame to see the car ruined by simply pricing too many folks out of the market.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
Keto's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,582
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WHO DAT NATION

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
BMW is planning to sell 100,000 M3's world wide. Thats a lot and significantly more than any pervious M3.

There is just much more supply

jason
They sold somewhere between 80-90k E46's, no?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #9
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
225
Posts

 
Drives: Backwards
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greenland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Had my drive in (but not of) the new M3 ot the weekend.

Not much time today to give my views, but in essence:

Pros:

1. Looked nice and smart - not too OTT, but just sporty enough to be able to live with without getting too much attention.
2. Engine - the undoubted star of the car. I found that the engine contradicted much of what I had read. My everyday car is an RS4 - to me the M3 engine was louder, with a harder edge soundtrack and felt stronger and quicker than my RS4.

Cons:

1. Interior - To me, the interior was very plain and ordinary - not enough to stop me from buying the car - but none the less a disappointment - in fact it felt virtually no different to a base M Sport model.
2. The power bulge, just too large and cartoon like - my only dislike of the exterior.

Overall - is it better than my RS4 - no. Is the RS4 better than the M3 - no.

Actually they are both great cars doing the same thing in a slightly different way. The M3 may be slightly more entertaining to drive in good conditions, and the RS4 probably slightly easier to use day to day.

Certainly after the drive, the M3 will very definitely remain on my list of next cars - if the dual gearbox is good, then it will likely be my next car.

What is worrying in the UK though was that I was offered two speccable cars for delivery before Christmas. The last M3 was virtually unobtainable in the UK for 18 months after launch - now this new model's wait is similar to ordering a base 3 series coupe or indeed a VW golf! This can not be good for residuals!
Strange. I heard the M3's allottment for this year was already spoken for.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 05:02 AM   #10
13eastie
Lieutenant
13eastie's Avatar
United Kingdom
19
Rep
563
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
BMW is planning to sell 100,000 M3's world wide. Thats a lot and significantly more than any pervious M3.

There is just much more supply

jason
Somone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere that the E46 M3 sold around 75,000. I really don't think such an increase accounts for the availability of slots at this early stage.

But regardless of whether it's due to cancellations or people opting for DCT etc., it does not look good for residuals.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #11
evilspiritM3
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Broadway, NC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
1987 535is  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
BMW sold 90,000 E46 M3s with 40,000 of them in the USA (source: BMWCCA)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #12
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
6
Rep
629
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (1)

+1

Price has got to be the major issue. At 55k for a decent speced car is probably too much for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Somone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere that the E46 M3 sold around 75,000. I really don't think such an increase accounts for the availability of slots at this early stage.

But regardless of whether it's due to cancellations or people opting for DCT etc., it does not look good for residuals.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #13
Steved
Lieutenant
Steved's Avatar
United Kingdom
24
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau View Post
Strange. I heard the M3's allottment for this year was already spoken for.
There are actually plenty of cars available for delivery within a month or two, I also spotted an advert selling a slightly used M3 for below list price

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/246915.htm

BMW will need to now manage the supply situation carefully otherwise they will end up dumping cars on the market in a few months and lowering residuals.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,835
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
They sold somewhere between 80-90k E46's, no?
True, and that was just coupes and convertibles. With the sedan coming this time around, there really should not be any greater supply of coupes on the market then there was for the E46. In fact, it is very likely that there will be fewer coupes produced and sold this generation than last, IMHO.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

The exact number of E46 M3s sold worldwide is 84383. And then 1358 CSLs. In NA, 26202 coupes and 17577 convertibles were sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,182
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
BMW is planning to sell 100,000 M3's world wide. Thats a lot and significantly more than any pervious M3.

There is just much more supply

jason
That's only 10,000 more sales than the E46 M3 production... and that was without an M3 Sedan, which the E92 M3 line up will have.

Add the M-DCT and I think that they will sell those 100,000 without problems only if they quit messing with the pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
13eastie
Lieutenant
13eastie's Avatar
United Kingdom
19
Rep
563
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
There are actually plenty of cars available for delivery within a month or two, I also spotted an advert selling a slightly used M3 for below list price

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/246915.htm

BMW will need to now manage the supply situation carefully otherwise they will end up dumping cars on the market in a few months and lowering residuals.
+1

Prospective favourable depreciation was high on my list for choosing this car. If BMW screw me on resale it will be the last time I put my faith in the brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #18
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
5
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: Audi RS4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Any pics of your RS4?
Here is my and my brothers RS4's (mine the lighter one).

The dealer said that cars where available as

1. The press reports had been lukewarm
2. That the price had risen (approx 20% in UK)
3. That people where waiting for the DCT cars (not convinced on this one myself).

I think it's probably just that the cars are now very expensive and there are lots of other options available, which in itself make the new M3 less special than the last M3 was when it was launched.

Personally I can not really see anyone collecting their new M3 and being disappointed one bit. Whether, come resale time, there will be some disappointment is another matter :sad0147: But it's true with all cars - if you're afraid of losing money, don't by em - especially at this price level.

Regards to all. Mark
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #19
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
5
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: Audi RS4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #20
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil
130
Rep
10,918
Posts

 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (25)

Nice car bro!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #21
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
38
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

iTrader: (0)

Those RS4s are beautiful!!! Makes me completely forget about the E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #22
MI6
The World is Not Enough
MI6's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
1,062
Posts

 
Drives: Aston DBS-R
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Skyfall

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
.
It looks like you and your bro's car are smooching mate...kinda gross.

No doubt, I think the RS4 is better looking than the new M3 sedan.....

Just saw my first S5 the other day- fecking gorgeous.......
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST