BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
House Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #23
IEDEI
the deeper the cut, the more majestic the scar.
IEDEI's Avatar
United_States
292
Rep
3,842
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.83]
FRS, hands down.

the 370z is garbage....badly made and vulgar. the FRS is definitely entertaining. get a Manual-----I drive 120 miles/day in and out of NYC...if i can do it, you can do it.

the FRS isn't about maximum speed---it's about enjoyment.
__________________
BMW 1M (#374/740)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #24
buildbright
Major
buildbright's Avatar
80
Rep
1,266
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 MG
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (1)

Stay away from the 370Z worst engine I have ever driven. Just tracked the nismo and non nismo. The car revs so rough and had so much vibration through the clutch I thought the motor was blown or down a cyclinder.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
114
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: E60
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Stay away from the 370Z worst engine I have ever driven. Just tracked the nismo and non nismo. The car revs so rough and had so much vibration through the clutch I thought the motor was blown or down a cyclinder.
+1 refinement is an afterthought in those cars
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
SaMaster14
Colonel
SaMaster14's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
2,052
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 MG/SO
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA / Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to SaMaster14 Send a message via Skype™ to SaMaster14
I've never been a fan of the 370Z, and almost feel like it gives off a worse impression than the FRS/BRZ.

All options considered, if you are looking for a decently sporty car, but something that gives off a good impression, I would probably look at a C250 coupe, or the new CLA250. They might not be the best performers in any sense, but you have an M3 and Benz does still scream class/luxury.

If you are going the Asian route though, I would definitely take a G37 coupe or even a Hyundai Genesis coupe over both the FRS and the Nissan - if only for impression sake.
__________________
~2015 F80 M3 MINERAL GREY/SAKHIR ORANGE~
2012 E92 335is MINERAL WHITE/CORAL RED[*PAST*]
http://instagram.com/samaster14/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
gonzo
Major General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
5,044
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 370Z, and almost feel like it gives off a worse impression than the FRS/BRZ.

All options considered, if you are looking for a decently sporty car, but something that gives off a good impression, I would probably look at a C250 coupe, or the new CLA250. They might not be the best performers in any sense, but you have an M3 and Benz does still scream class/luxury.

If you are going the Asian route though, I would definitely take a G37 coupe or even a Hyundai Genesis coupe over both the FRS and the Nissan - if only for impression sake.
Impression, impression and impression .
? ? ?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
pgviper
Captain
United_States
76
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: X3 xdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LI / BK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 370Z, and almost feel like it gives off a worse impression than the FRS/BRZ.

All options considered, if you are looking for a decently sporty car, but something that gives off a good impression, I would probably look at a C250 coupe, or the new CLA250. They might not be the best performers in any sense, but you have an M3 and Benz does still scream class/luxury.

If you are going the Asian route though, I would definitely take a G37 coupe or even a Hyundai Genesis coupe over both the FRS and the Nissan - if only for impression sake.
I'm not asian but I love my g37 lol.

G37 really sounds like a great match for what you want though. If you think they are plain, I don't blame you but with only a little bit of modding they can really look awesome. Before you judge though, just ignore all of the "stance" people. I find it ridiculous what they do, my mods are all function based and I love my car!!!

Let us know what you go with.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #29
F1Venom
Banned
42
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I'd get an EVO X MR.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2015 Z51 c7
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

370z is the way to go. i alsome went down the 370z TT route in stead of getting a M car.

its more of a man car, how aggressive it sits. FRS is well kind of a pussy car.

^ will get flamed for that i know
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
norsairius's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
617
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I actually liked the roughness of the 370Z when I test drove one last december, haha. It made it feel like more of a muscle car in a way with the rawness and such. Clutch engagement point was pretty high though. That took some adjusting.

Blind spots on the 370Z are horrible. That could actually be stressful if you change lanes often in your daily driving.

I only say I liked it though because I only drove it once. I'm not sure if it would've been livable on a daily basis.

The old VQ35 in the 350Z was generally better. It was smoother and sounded nicer. The VQ37 does pack quite a punch though.
__________________
Current: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan, Deep Sea Blue w/Oyster Interior
Traded in: 2009 328i xDrive Coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #32
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
ScarecrowBoat's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
899
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NEB

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.00]
I'm not sure I understand why somebody with a DCT M3 would want a newere 370z auto as a daily driver? It's going to cost you more than the depreciation on your M3 and it's a much less fun, refined, and fast car.

It's like somebody with a 911 turbo getting a 911 carrera as a daily...If anything get a 6mt g37. Those are fun and actually have some practicality and niceties that you may want in a "daily"
__________________
13 Nissan 370z
08 Range Rover Sport SC
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #33
F32
Banned
8
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
I'm not sure I understand why somebody with a DCT M3 would want a newere 370z auto as a daily driver? It's going to cost you more than the depreciation on your M3 and it's a much less fun, refined, and fast car.
Maybe to him the M3 a non daily-drivable supercar?

Around here they're every fresh-outta-grad school 26 year-old's beater.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #34
speedaddictM3
Banned
2
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

the 370z is way better than the Frs. And the mod potential is also much higher. It's a pretty good sports car other than the slightly rough engine note. Ignore the naysayers. But I do concur with others. The M3 is a GT car and is more suitable for daily driving, as opposed to the FRS or 370z which are more focused sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
robguenther13
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Preordered 2014 M4
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Auburn, WA

iTrader: (0)

Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 auto is a totally awesome DD car, quick enough to give you some speed satisfaction, but refined enough people won't think you are a Dbag. I have had nothing but compliments on mine. <30k, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #36
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
185
Rep
11,136
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 (lots-of-M's, RRS, X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
I'm not sure I understand why somebody with a DCT M3 would want a newere 370z auto as a daily driver? It's going to cost you more than the depreciation on your M3 and it's a much less fun, refined, and fast car.

It's like somebody with a 911 turbo getting a 911 carrera as a daily...If anything get a 6mt g37. Those are fun and actually have some practicality and niceties that you may want in a "daily"

...On top of that, the gas mileage of the 370z averages out fairly closely to the E92. I'm with the camp that doesn't understand why the OP isn't DD'ing his E92. It seems really silly. My M3's were driven EVERYWHERE.

And on the topic of Porsche......

...when I purchase my 911 Turbo/GT2/GT3 eventually, that bad boy will be driven everywhere too. Don't be surprised to find me stuffing groceries from Stater Bros. and Sprouts in the hood-trunk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Maybe to him the M3 a non daily-drivable supercar?

Around here they're every fresh-outta-grad school 26 year-old's beater.
Yeah, pretty much here in So.Cal too. Hell, some of the college students here drive M5's, M6's and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #37
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
CDM3DCT's Avatar
11
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

So here's the update: I still haven't had a chance to test drive the 370z but did have a chance to test drive an Evo X MR, I will say I was fairly impressed. SST tranny is very impressive but in terms of mods im limited (which could be a good or bad thing depending how you see it). Positives are that it is a sedan, 3k and a few days at AMS could yield 350whp however the downside is if anything goes wrong with your tranny you're sorta short in terms of the price you'll pay to fix it. So the question truly is, is the possible headache worth it? I'm also considering the reliability, any advice?

I did look into the g37 and will have to test drive before a render a decision- still 370z looks like a solid choice based on the fact that I feel as if a drop, volk wheels, exhaust and intake will leave me happy with a solid DD.

In terms of price though the FRS also continues to be a solid runner. Cheap, easy to mod, but lacks power... If only the frs came stock with FI... We can only dream right. As an added note, also it lacks HP, the FRS is a cheap track car is I ever decided to go down that route as well.

Now for all those wondering why the M is not the daily- I'm supercharging the car, prob a 650 kit thus not the most optimum choice in terms of a daily.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #38
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: White e46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

I would stay away from 370z, or get a frs/BRZ manual. If you don't like that, the focus st seems to be a pretty solid car besides the FWD. Also there is the genesis coupe. My friend owns the 3.8 and loves it!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
OOO
Second Lieutenant
OOO's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: in the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Between those two I would get the 370z. FR-S just doesn't appeal to me.

Are you considering the G37 or MINI?
__________________
E92 BMW M3|Space Gray|DCT|Performance Splitters|Carbon Fiber Mirrors|Performance Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #40
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
CDM3DCT's Avatar
11
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I haven't looked at a mini and haven't considered the g37. Lol it's pretty crazy how the opinions don't sway one way. I've pulled this same exact poll on google and on so many different forums, just like ours, the decision is a clear split one. I think the reality is that all of these cars have their strengths and weaknesses. In the end it's simply personal preference.

Hence here's my decision. I'm probably sticking with an FRS. Why? Simple- as much as I would like another powerful car as my daily, why would I need it? My M will be the power I want when I need it. Modifying the call is going to be cheap, and yes the interior may not the the best but in terms of aftermarket seats etc... There's enough choices if I want to go down that route.

Other things I considered, although I could get an evo or z for 17-20K, they're going to be used (with a min of 15k miles) and 9 times out of 10 they will have some wear (just the nature of these cars and how most people use them). I could get the frs for 22-23k new out the door, I'll still have warranty and when I get out of warranty ill just turbo or supercharge the car if I feel the need to do so (there will be cheap used kits out on the market by then). All in all, a cheap reliable option to have fun in while keeping my gas intake average for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #41
Red Bread
Brigadier General
United_States
76
Rep
4,673
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
I haven't looked at a mini and haven't considered the g37. Lol it's pretty crazy how the opinions don't sway one way. I've pulled this same exact poll on google and on so many different forums, just like ours, the decision is a clear split one. I think the reality is that all of these cars have their strengths and weaknesses. In the end it's simply personal preference.

Hence here's my decision. I'm probably sticking with an FRS. Why? Simple- as much as I would like another powerful car as my daily, why would I need it? My M will be the power I want when I need it. Modifying the call is going to be cheap, and yes the interior may not the the best but in terms of aftermarket seats etc... There's enough choices if I want to go down that route.

Other things I considered, although I could get an evo or z for 17-20K, they're going to be used (with a min of 15k miles) and 9 times out of 10 they will have some wear (just the nature of these cars and how most people use them). I could get the frs for 22-23k new out the door, I'll still have warranty and when I get out of warranty ill just turbo or supercharge the car if I feel the need to do so (there will be cheap used kits out on the market by then). All in all, a cheap reliable option to have fun in while keeping my gas intake average for now.
You might consider a Limited BRZ, the interior is a little nicer than the FRS and includes heated seats, should you care. The FRS has a smidge more oversteer stock, but if you're modifying, you'll change that quickly anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #42
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
CDM3DCT's Avatar
11
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You might consider a Limited BRZ, the interior is a little nicer than the FRS and includes heated seats, should you care. The FRS has a smidge more oversteer stock, but if you're modifying, you'll change that quickly anyway.
Thanks for the feedback and yeah I've definitely looked at the limited BRZ, the only downside is that I can't justify paying about 8k more over the frs for just heated semi leather seats, push to start and navi. I'll keep my eye out though and see if the prices begin to drop on these now that the 2014 model is out.

In regards to the oversteer, I agree!! I thought I might have been the only one but other have also said the same. Regardless I'm dropping the car on some eibachs as soon as I get it and slapping some meaty tires on enkei wheels. Some time in the future maybe, and that's a big maybe, some coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
Blipit_
Major
29
Rep
1,088
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
Thanks for the feedback and yeah I've definitely looked at the limited BRZ, the only downside is that I can't justify paying about 8k more over the frs for just heated semi leather seats, push to start and navi. I'll keep my eye out though and see if the prices begin to drop on these now that the 2014 model is out.
$8k? Isn't the BRZ msrp only another $300?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #44
b0bab0i
Captain
9
Rep
999
Posts

Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

So are you getting the FRS in manual or autotragic?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST