BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

do88 Performance

09-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
||||||||||
///M Flight - Europe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Pro Sports Motorsports Microphone System : Review

**DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional, and don't get paid for reviewing products. I just wanted to give a quick consumer review of this setup, in case anyone else was thinking about getting it. I also need to apologize for the lagging effect of my videos. They are a tad choppy, and at times when I am accelerating, it looks as though I am not even moving I will blame this on the fact my laptop isn't properly setup to handle editing videos in 1080p.**

I made a quick video to show the sound quality of the Pro Sports Motorsports Microphone System which I recently purchased from eBay. Given the internal microphone on the GoPro camera is a waste of time, and this seemed like a nice little all inclusive external microphone setup for the money, I decided to give it a shot.

***Note about my setup: The car is a 2011 E90 M3 and has the OEM exhaust mod The microphone was placed at the back bumper, directly between the two exhaust tips for both videos, with the cable run through the trunk under the liner, under the rear seat backs, then tucked under the back seat bottom. It was then plugged directly into a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition attached to the windshield via a GoPro mic adapter. The way the cable is ran through the car, it never needs to be removed, and the two ends can be easily tucked away and hidden when not in use so it will not be seen (the microphone end under the plastic tray where the cd changer goes, and the other end under the back seat cushion). The end that plugs into the camera can be ran anywhere inside the car so the camera can be placed virtually anywhere. In both videos, the microphones have Movo WS10n microphone windscreens over the heads.***

So here are my impressions before we get to the video..

Initial impressions, and overall quality: The microphone setup is sold with a Y splitter, two 12' long 3.5mm female-male cables, and two microphones (so one can be used at the exhaust, and one under the hood at the intake). Only one microphone was used at the exhaust for this video however. The cables and Y splitter seem to be of fairly decent quality. I suspect they should last with no issues, but only time will tell. The microphones however, are rather cheap feeling lapel mics, something you would expect to pick up for $5.00 to plug into a digital voice recorder for lectures and whatnot. The heads are entirely made of plastic, and the cable is very thin and feels flimsy. For what it is, it works as intended, but I was highly disappointed in the mics themselves and for the $40.00 I paid, I expected more.

Sound quality: Despite the cheap feel of the microphones themselves, all in all, I was relatively pleased with the sound quality over the regular internal GoPro microphone. Of course that isn't saying much, as we all know the internal GoPro mics are garbage. There is a sort of rattle type noise that can be heard in the videos over the exhaust (best way I can describe it) that is a bit irritating, but compared to the internal mic, this setup is a vast improvement. Listen to the video and judge for yourself..

However, I also ordered an Olympus ME-51S to try out as well, and I wish I had just gone with the Olympus and a 15' cable from Amazon and called it a day. I shot the below video with the Olympus plugged in, in place of the cheap lapel mic Pro Sports Motorsports provides, and I will say the Olympus is a vast improvement over this setup. The annoying "rattle" is gone, sound quality is more crisp and clear, and feels somewhat more alive to me. See the below video to compare the two setups..

Pro Sports Motorsports makes a very decent setup to use with the GoPro cameras (for what their setup is) and had I never tried the Olympus, I may have never even looked for a better sounding microphone. But at $40.00 for their setup, I honestly recommend buying the Olympus for $32.00 on Amazon and then spending $10.00 on a 15' 3.5mm female-male cable. You would be at the same price point, and if you have no use for two mics (like me), you would have a much nicer setup.

For what you get in this setup, if you are just looking for something better sounding than the GoPro mic and you plan to use both cables and both microphones, you probably won't be disappointed. But for me, I feel the microphones that came with this system were rather cheap and I will probably never use them. Plus, as stated, I have no use for two mics. The novelty of having one mic at the exhaust, and one at the intake is just that, a novelty, and is rather useless IMHO. So I essentially paid $40.00 for a 3.5mm extended cable, which is a waste of money in my book. I guess it will be nice to have the extra cable, the splitter and two more mics in case I need them, but at the end of the day, the 3.5mm cable is the only thing I will likely ever use from this setup.

IMHO, having used this product, I don't feel it is worth the money. At least not to me. Maybe I ruined it by comparing it to the Olympus which is vastly superior, but knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't feel comfortable paying more than $20.00 for this.

I hope someone found this helpful, or at least enjoyed the videos As I said, I was honestly kind of just looking for an excuse to see how the OEM exhaust mod sounded on my M3 from the back, and then decided to turn it into a review.

*Products used*

Pro Sports Motorsports Microphone System
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Sports-M...item3ce603ba6e

Olympus ME51-S Stereo Microphone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Movo WS10n Microphone Windscreens
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00