BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #89
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
He's correct, you do lose some feel with those widths and on harder cornering there is some flex until the car "settles" into the turn, but then it grips like crazy. For the driving I do on the street this isn't really bothersome but it would not be ideal on a track. I love the ZCP wheels, and wanted the look of wider tires without going much shorter in tire diameter (285/30), so I decided to take the above trade-off. You have to decide what you're most comfortable with.
didn't you run (or are running) the Continental ContiSportContact 5P 285/30?
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #90
JAdamz
M3NTAL
 
JAdamz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 442
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
didn't you run (or are running) the Continental ContiSportContact 5P 285/30?
No, PSS 275/295 on ZCP. You've gotta read the usernames next to the posts in this thread man
JAdamz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #91
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
No, PSS 275/295 on ZCP. You've gotta read the usernames next to the posts in this thread man
LOL, can't keep track of who is who anymore after days of searching
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #92
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
LOL, can't keep track of who is who anymore after days of searching
The fact is most people who run the ZCP wheel that are looking for a +1 fitment are going with the 255/35/19 fronts or 275/35/19 or 285/30/19 for the rear. I feel a lot more people would run the 285s out back if this tire was available in the PSS model.

I was going to run the 275/295 setup on my ZCP car but I saw a car with Mich PSSs on the car and didn't like the way it bulged, you can see it was pinched a tad. You really don't want to go beyond a 285 tire out back with a 10" wide wheel. My opinion, others will differ thats fine..

A pic of my 2011 with the 285 Conti 5Ps out back.



I will be widening a set of rear ZCP wheels out to 11" and run the 10" fronts with the widened rears with a 275/295 setup...can't wait.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 11-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #93
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
The fact is most people who run the ZCP wheel that are looking for a +1 fitment are going with the 255/35/19 fronts or 275/35/19 or 285/30/19 for the rear. I feel a lot more people would run the 285s out back if this tire was available in the PSS model.

I was going to run the 275/295 setup on my ZCP car but I saw a car with Mich PSSs on the car and didn't like the way it bulged, you can see it was pinched a tad. You really don't want to go beyond a 285 tire out back with a 10" wide wheel. My opinion, others will differ thats fine..

A pic of my 2011 with the 285 Conti 5Ps out back.




I will be widening a set of rear ZCP wheels out to 11" and run the 10" fronts with the widened rears with a 275/295 setup...can't wait.

Dave
dave, what are your thoughts on the 5p's? how are you liking them compared to the PSS?

since last nite, I'm leaning to either remain on 275 with the PSS, or go 285/30 with the 5P 's.
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.

Last edited by ssabripo; 11-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #94
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
dave, what are your thoughts on the 5p's? how are you liking them compared to the PSS?

since last nite, I'm leaning to either remain on 275 with the PSS, or go 285/30 with the 5P 's.
Loved the 5Ps, I think they are right up there with the PSS. I also like my Toyo T1S right now...very stiff sidewall, maybe not as much ultimate grip bgut a very good tire for the money. I would choose these 2 over the Invos which I have also owned in the GTS sizes.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #95
JAdamz
M3NTAL
 
JAdamz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 442
iTrader: (1)

For anybody else that's curious about the 275/295 setup on stock ZCP suspension, here are some detailed pictures of the setup:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=597947&page=2
JAdamz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #96
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz
For anybody else that's curious about the 275/295 setup on stock ZCP suspension, here are some detailed pictures of the setup:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...947&page=2
Looks great!

Man, you are really main it hard on me !
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.

Last edited by ssabripo; 11-10-2013 at 08:10 PM.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #97
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (13)

IMO by far the best tire to choose in the 255/35 and 285/30 is the S04 from bridgestone

they have a firmer sidewall than PSS and IMO feel better on the street. when you upsize the tires from stock on the same width wheels, you want a firm sidewall to maintain that steering feel when cornering.

that said, I by far prefer running a 255/275 setup with a wider running extreme summer like the ad08r for a few reasons. they fit better, they have very firm sidewalls which feels awesome while driving and reduces body roll and feels very direct. I also track so these are a great double duty tire
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #98
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
I had a real nice long conversation with ben@tirerack, and explained what I wanted and what the pros/cons where.

Long story short, we discussed GTS sizes (285/30 R19) and offerings (conti 5P, S-04, etc), and the plus sizing (295/30 R19) on the PSS or AD08.

His bottom line was this:

given the option of using a 285/30 with the 5p, or the 295/30 with the PSS, he would recommend the 295/30 pss.... the sidewall interaction tradeoff is minimal (according to ben) and only noticeable in extreme cornering conditions for fractions of seconds (until the it settles into the corner), and the "look" I am looking plus the slight increase in surface area contact, would be a good benefit.

__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #99
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (13)

Disagree based on personal experience

The 255/275 ad08s will be nearly as wide and handle much better

Tires that are too wide for the rim will cause handling changes. You can't increase the tire diameter by 30mm on the same size wheel without notable handling differences.

For street driving, maybe you won't be bothered too much , but I hate roll and sloppy steering and IMO this setup will make the steering feel worse than stock and that is not a compromise I would make. Perhaps you feel differently though
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #100
Millie
Second Lieutenant
 
Millie's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kamloops/Alberta

Posts: 248
iTrader: (1)

What sized spacers would you recommend for 255/275 ad08rs?
__________________
09 E92 SG M3
Dinan Stuff
Millie is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #101
yoelev
First Lieutenant
 
yoelev's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
IMO by far the best tire to choose in the 255/35 and 285/30 is the S04 from bridgestone

they have a firmer sidewall than PSS and IMO feel better on the street. when you upsize the tires from stock on the same width wheels, you want a firm sidewall to maintain that steering feel when cornering.

that said, I by far prefer running a 255/275 setup with a wider running extreme summer like the ad08r for a few reasons. they fit better, they have very firm sidewalls which feels awesome while driving and reduces body roll and feels very direct. I also track so these are a great double duty tire
the bridgestones are a great choice but have you noticed how much heavier they are than the others?
__________________

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Monoball Kit, Dinan Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Struts, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Pullies, Dinan Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
yoelev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #102
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
...Tires that are too wide for the rim will cause handling changes. You can't increase the tire diameter by 30mm on the same size wheel without notable handling differences.
Maybe I'm not understanding where you are getting your 30mm from

a 275/35 R19 will nominally have(inches):
*tire diameter: 26.578740157480315
*sidewall width: 3.7893700787401574
*surface width: 10.826771653543307

*tire diameter: 25.968503937007874
*sidewall width: 3.484251968503937
*surface width: 11.614173228346457

so we are talking about a 0.6" difference in overall diameter, while the sidewall is actually 0.3" smaller (eg, "stiffer"), whereas the surface contact area increases by nearly an inch.

Not saying you statement regarding handling is not accurate, as I have not used the 295/30 yet, but I'm trying to understand where you get the 30mm number from.
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #103
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
the bridgestones are a great choice but have you noticed how much heavier they are than the others?
yeah, that's one of my problem with the S-04's and bridgestones in general...they are heavy tires! the 295/30, for example, is a full 3-4lbs heavier than the conti 5p's, and that would be a good 16 lbs of laden rotational added weight to the car!
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #104
JAdamz
M3NTAL
 
JAdamz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 442
iTrader: (1)

He means a 30mm increase in tire width (245 stock to 275, and 265 stock to 295). The 275/295 combo is only slightly shorter in diameter than stock sizes.
JAdamz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #105
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
the bridgestones are a great choice but have you noticed how much heavier they are than the others?
I've said this before, but go look at every extreme summer tire, street radials or race tire

They are all heavy, and this is a function of heavier and stiffer material used to firm up the sidewall and make the tire more stable and competent on the track or in higher performance driving applications .

The continental dw and super sport are light tires and it's a function of a softer compound with softer sidewalls that roll over too easily.

I've had both these tires and heavier more performance oriented tires and the weight is worth it. You can't realistically feel 3-4 lbs per corner.
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #106
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I've said this before, but go look at every extreme summer tire, street radials or race tire

They are all heavy, and this is a function of heavier and stiffer material used to firm up the sidewall and make the tire more stable and competent on the track or in higher performance driving applications .

The continental dw and super sport are light tires and it's a function of a softer compound with softer sidewalls that roll over too easily.

I've had both these tires and heavier more performance oriented tires and the weight is worth it. You can't realistically feel 3-4 lbs per corner.
kenny, when you had the 295's (I assume PSS), was the softer sidewall issue that noticeable?
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #107
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding where you are getting your 30mm from

a 275/35 R19 will nominally have(inches):
*tire diameter: 26.578740157480315
*sidewall width: 3.7893700787401574
*surface width: 10.826771653543307

*tire diameter: 25.968503937007874
*sidewall width: 3.484251968503937
*surface width: 11.614173228346457

so we are talking about a 0.6" difference in overall diameter, while the sidewall is actually 0.3" smaller (eg, "stiffer"), whereas the surface contact area increases by nearly an inch.

Not saying you statement regarding handling is not accurate, as I have not used the 295/30 yet, but I'm trying to understand where you get the 30mm number from.
He's talking about width not diameter. If you go the 275/295 setup you are increasing the tire width by 30mm front and rear while you are keeping the rim width the same. Only issue with this statement is the fact the OEM tires were stretched on the OEM ZCP wheel. A 9" wide front supports a 255 tire with no issues, its probably the ideal width of tire on a 9" rim, while the rears at 10" wide support a 275-285 tire that is ideal.

The GTS with its 255/285 setup seems to support this...

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #108
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,092
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
He's talking about width not diameter. If you go the 275/295 setup you are increasing the tire width by 30mm front and rear while you are keeping the rim width the same. Only issue with this statement is the fact the OEM tires were stretched on the OEM ZCP wheel. A 9" wide front supports a 255 tire with no issues, its probably the ideal width of tire on a 9" rim, while the rears at 10" wide support a 275-285 tire that is ideal.

The GTS with its 255/285 setup seems to support this...

Dave
agreed!
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #109
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,133
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
exactly!

well, at this point i'm leaning like this (in order of priority):

1. re-buy the 275/35 PSS
2. get nitto Invo 255/35f and 285/30r at the expense of less performance overall
3. suck it up and get the 295/30 and live with slight rubbing.

4. Get some Apex ARC-8 18" wheels and go with square 275s for track, and then get something that has the feel you want for the street on your 359s.

I started tracking on the original Continentals that came on my M3, but they were like driving on vasoline, so I quickly switched to Yokohama AD08s (before the Rs) and loved them, but got my wheels all crapped up with clag and the like. And then a friend was selling her square setup with Continental slicks and I switched to those on the track and wow! When they finally corded, I went back to the AD08s and realized how compromised I was. I kept them for street, though, because I love how they give the car such a planted feel.

That was my last car. Now I'm driving 255/275 PSSs and I think they're mushy, far too soft and imprecise! I thought I was buying driving comfort, but I don't care for them. I want to switch, and may go with the 285/30R19 option on RE-11s or something, just for street, mind you. I don't track this car as I have a '98 E36 M3 for that.

All this is a long way of saying if you're planning on seriously tracking several times a year, get yourself some track wheels and tires and save your street tires for the street. Even with camber plates, you could end up cording the shoulders of street tires in a weekend, depending upon the track.

It's fun talking track tires here, off-season.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #110
yoelev
First Lieutenant
 
yoelev's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

so here are the choices:

b'stone RE050A
b'stone S-04
conti sport contact 5p
hankook ventus
pirelli p zero
yoko advan sport v105

the pzeros i did like but was very unimpressed with their wear. 7,000 miles max.
__________________

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Monoball Kit, Dinan Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Struts, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Pullies, Dinan Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
yoelev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST