BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

06-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M3

My Evolve E600 Supercharger Thread

I wanted to start a thread and share my experience with my Evolve Supercharged M3. This thread is a little long winded but below is my overall impressions/opinions of the Evolve E600 kit.

My quest to buy a Supercharged M3

A little over a year ago, I was heavy into the N54 bmw scene and owned a cleanly modded 6speed 335. When modding my cars, I always try and buy top notch parts, do lots of research, and make sure the parts are functional in performance, quality, looks, fit/function and longevity. The 335 was built over 2 years and I had just put a deposit down on Stg 2 turbo’s when a local buddy of mine (LM) installed a Evolve kit on his M3.

When he got the Evolve kit installed, he offered me to take it for a spin. From the moment I drove the car, ripping through the gears (DCT!!!) in that Evolve M3, I was in awe at how the car performed. As you know, the m3 itself is a potent platform and with the Evolve kit…..it is a absolute weapon.

I had to have one….

Almost immediately, my stg 2 turbo slot was sold, my 335 was sold to another enthusiast, and within 3 months I had concluded my search for a M3 and bought a very clean 2009, Silverstone, low mileage, DCT M3 from a local enthusiast. I enjoyed the M3 for a couple months as is, started getting the power itch, and began searching for which Supercharger kit I wanted to go with. I was trying to keep a open mind, look at all the options available, and make a decision.
There are a lot of good kits out there but I like to be different, and Evolve kept popping into my mind. I kept thinking about that drive in LM’s Evolve M3 and decided to send a email to Sal at Evolve, to inquire about the kit, and he emailed me back asking for my phone number to discuss the kit.

My decision to go with Evolve

While talking on the phone to Sal, it didn’t take long for me to realize that Sal and the team at Evolve are big time BMW enthusiasts and put a lot of heart, effort, research, and development into the products they produce. These guys know their stuff….. Sal told me all about the development of the E600 kit, the performance they were trying to achieve, the reason they designed the kit as is and gained my confidence rather quickly. I decided I had heard exactly what I wanted to hear, stopped my research on other kits, and put a deposit in.

The install

The kit took about 6 weeks to show up. In the meantime, I reached out to the shop I use religiously, AutoCouture Motoring, and asked if they were willing to install the Evolve kit for me. Sal and Tom at ACM have always taken care of me with my 335 and M3. I live only 20 minutes from their shop so its super convenient for me.

They were more than willing to tackle the install of their first E600 Evolve Supercharger Kit. Tom is meticulous in his installs and takes his time to make everything right. The install of this kit is not the easiest, the kit is pretty complex and you can almost say overly engineered, but in a good way. Every piece is high quality, well thought out, and in my opinion, overall….a work of art. This is exactly the quality I’m looking for in a supercharger kit for my M3.

I must say we did have a issue with some parts being damaged in shipping, and the wrong injectors sent with the kit, but ACM and Evolve discussed the issues and worked through them. The install also took longer than expected due to the injector issue, but again, the guys at ACM/Evolve eventually solved the problem.

The Kit

As I mentioned before, this kit is a work of art. The manifold design, custom brackets/parts, intercooler/cooling system, rotrex blower and how its mounted, routing of the belt/bracket for the belt, are all top notch, high quality, and work flawlessly. The Evolve kit isn’t the cheapest kit you can buy, and you can see why. I was very excited to hit the road and get that feeling back when I drove LM’s car a couple months earlier.

Evolve Custom Tune

I think everyone is aware of Evolve’s NA tunes and their excellent ability to extract power from the S65 with bolt ons. The tune for this kit is no different. Since all cars are different, and the bolt on’s vary, fortunately, Evolve offer’s custom tuning for their Supercharged customers. This allows you to get maximum power and drivability….not relying on a “canned tune” that works on a wide variety of modified cars.

I chose to send my car to Garth at Undercover Performance for my custom supercharged tune. Garth and Undercover is the same company that worked with Sal to custom tune LM’s Evolve M3. Garth worked with me to find a convenient time to tune my M3 and did a excellent job fitting me in with not much notice. Undercover has lots of experience with the Evolve kit as well as other high HP cars. They are tuning 1000 whp Porsche 911’s, Supra’s, GTR’s, etc., on a weekly basis, so I knew my car was in good hands. Garth worked with Sal at Evolve, and Sal came up with a tune that works well for my mods. Sal's ability to tune the car for your specific mods is a huge plus and another feature that sets this kit apart from the competition. No HP/TQ is left on the table.

Overall impression/driveability of the car

After allowing my tune to adapt and getting a feel for the car it was time to let it loose. Holy S#@^ !!! The car flat out performs. As you can imagine, a supercharger on the s65 turns this platform into a beast. I love it! The acceleration is brutal, the drivability/smoothness is as close to stock as you can get but with double the power. For those that have driven a supercharged e9x m3, you know exactly what I’m talking about. I will say the rotrex blower doesn’t disappoint and lives up to its reputation of providing quick spool and low end TQ. Remember, I came from a n54, so I loved the low end TQ and was worried that would be a tradeoff when switching to the e92 m3.

My E600 kit is Evolve’s base kit with 6.7 psi of boost. They also offer a 8+psi version that is even quicker. After driving LM’s car, I did notice how the rotrex provides a nice bump in low end tq over stock. The car is in boost at 3k rpms and drivability around town, flat out, or just cruising on the highway is perfect. On the street, the car doesn’t heat soak at all and temps are in check no matter how hard you hammer it (this was in 80-90 degree NJ weather!). I haven't taken the car to the track but will be attending roll on events this summer. I have confidence this kit will perform very well.

The best thing about this Evolve kit is not only the increased power but the way this power is put to use. The throttle response, instant surge of power, and smoothness of this kit is the greatest asset of the Evolve kit. Its really hard to describe, you just have to drive it.

I plan to have a dyno soon….and I know it will put down good power. I‘ve seen LM‘s dynos……. I'll be sure to update the thread when I have my dyno. In my opinion, the dyno doesn‘t tell the whole story and the drivability of this kit is where I‘m most satisfied. All of the supercharger kits available for the S65 put down good power, it’s the drivability that separates them, in my opinion.

For now, I just wanted to share my experience and urge anyone that is looking to supercharge their M3 to give Evolve a hard look.

Reach out to Sal@Evolve and discuss the E600 kit. You won’t be disappointed!

Special thanks to Matt @ ACM for the pics.... Sal and Tom at ACM, Sal and the team @ Evolve, and Garth at Undercover Performance

My Mods

- Evolve E600 Supercharger @ 6.7psi max boost
- Fabspeed 200 cell high flow catted Xpipe
- Eisemann Race Exhaust with connecting pipes
- Ohlin Coilovers
- Vorsteiner Bootlid
- Vorsteiner Type II Rear Diffuser
- Luma front lip
- Morr VS70 18x10.5 square wheels
- ACM upgraded angel eyes
- ACM edition P3 Vent gauge
- Black Kidney grills
- Painted reflectors

Evolve Supercharged E92 M3

Last edited by BobS; 06-23-2014 at 06:17 PM.
      06-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Brian0473
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe

Nice car! But of course I may be a little biased.

06-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
schnell325
Bored at work....

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi

^^^^

Nice car(s)!
schnell325 is offline   Canada
      06-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Prestigefrzn
Private First Class

Drives: 11' M3

Congrats. Car looks awesome
      06-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Lalit@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Bicycle

Badassss. Enjoy brotha
      06-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian0473 View Post
Nice car! But of course I may be a little biased.
Yea you are .

06-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalit@AUTOcouture View Post
Badassss. Enjoy brotha
Thanks lalit, the car will be back to the shop soon for a new front lip

06-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
JRV
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

I am also looking at this kit but wasn't sure if there was an authorized installer in the area. I guess it's AutoCouture then? Are there others in the area? Sorry don't mean to hijack but am doing my research now and am interested in the rotrex and air to air inter cooler. PM me if it's better that way.

Oh and to the OP you have some great taste, love your ride and new found power! Congrats!
JRV is online now   United_States
      06-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Lucrecio84
First Lieutenant

Drives: Laguna Seca Blue e92 M3

very nice! nothing better than a supercharged M3!

GINTANI STAGE 2+/FORGESTAR F14'S/AKRA GT4 EXHAUST SYSTEM/HEADLIGHTS BY ONEIGHTY
Lucrecio84 is offline   United_States
      06-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Serpico
Captain

Car is STUNNING! Does AutoCouture have a pro photographer on payroll? Everything they post is amazing
      06-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
JBiddy
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 ///M

Awesome car!! Enjoy it broski
      06-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
SilentAttack
Major

Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

I think the evolve front mount looks meannnnnn
      06-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
THE-FN-MAN
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 x2

Looks great! But what's on the top part of your hood when it's opened up?? All the black greasy oil looking stuff lol
      06-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #14
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Man blowers are the business
      06-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #15
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Looks great! But what's on the top part of your hood when it's opened up?? All the black greasy oil looking stuff lol
Must just be a shadow? Because there is no black greasy oil stuff... I can assure you ha.

06-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

That Evolve kit looks amazing, the front intercooler looks sick, performance and drivability must be crazy smooth, I have their NA tune and it's one of the best things I've done to my M3 made my car completely come alive.
Congrats OP and enjoy in good health!!!

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      06-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Awesome!
      06-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #18
Serpico
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Probably just some baby batter left over from some passers-by from looking at it
      06-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

I appreciate all the kind words guys!

06-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
dmk08
///Maniac

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]