BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Newb17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 z06

Think I'm gonna do this with my exhaust.....

OEM perforated exhaust mod. If this isn't loud enough, I'll add ACM test pipes. Heard a sound clip with this combo and I liked it. Didn't hear any rasp on a youtube sound clip with this combo. Anyone have this setup?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

The perforated Oem. exhaust mod. is about 20 % louder than stock .
This in combination with test pipes will sound more rasp .
The advantage of test pipes in combination with a tune is + 12-15 HP .
The downside of test pipes is drone , if you don't like drone...don't do it and keep it with the Oem. exhaust mod .
I have the Oem. exhaust mod for 2 years now and it's still jaw dropping with 0 drone .
Here is mine with pics and DIY video => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
      07-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Newb17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The perforated Oem. exhaust mod. is about 20 % louder than stock .
This in combination with test pipes will sound more rasp .
The advantage of test pipes in combination with a tune is + 12-15 HP .
The downside of test pipes is drone , if you don't like drone...don't do it and keep it with the Oem. exhaust mod .
I have the Oem. exhaust mod for 2 years now and it's still jaw dropping with 0 drone .
Here is mine with pics and DIY video => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
Thanks!

I don't just want louder at full throttle, but also during part throttle. Maybe the OEM bypass mod will be better than perforated(without test pipes)?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Helmsman
Major
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 AW ZCP 2011

The OEM (even "2 pipe") IS definitely much louder than stock mate. Very happy with this myself and do not miss more sound. I'd start in this end with the possibility to increase in second step with test pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb17 View Post
Thanks!

I don't just want louder at full throttle, but also during part throttle. Maybe the OEM bypass mod will be better than perforated(without test pipes)?
Bypass or ACM straight through is lots louder than the 2 big perforated mod.
But for me personal the ACM sounds more like a broken exhaust because the Helmholtz chambers are deleted too and so the car will drone at low rpm's.
Advice...
If you want to go louder than the 2 big perforated pipe replacement..just do all 4 , so the 2 big + 2 small replacement with this method the Helmholtz chambers are still intact and functional and so you get no drone and it's louder and when downshifting you will hear small pops like back fire.
All this because it's not all about louder when it sounds like shit.. "exhaust sound quality" for our cars is important too ....
      07-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Newb17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Bypass or ACM straight through is lots louder than the 2 big perforated mod.
But for me personal the ACM sounds more like a broken exhaust because the Helmholtz chambers are deleted too and so the car will drone at low rpm's.
Advice...
If you want to go louder than the 2 big perforated pipe replacement..just do all 4 , so the 2 big + 2 small replacement with this method the Helmholtz chambers are still intact and functional and so you get no drone and it's louder and when downshifting you will hear small pops like back fire.
All this because it's not all about louder when it sounds like shit.. "exhaust sound quality" for our cars is important too ....
Sweet! I thought there was only 2 perforated pipes in the OEM muffler? What do you mean 2 big + 2 small? What exactly would I be replacing?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Sweet! I thought there was only 2 perforated pipes in the OEM muffler? What do you mean 2 big + 2 small? What exactly would I be replacing?

Thanks!
No need for thanks ..
Look my friend...I've done this mod by myself and with my own hands .
Now it's just normal that you are confused so ...
Advice...
Open my link above again...And take a look at my pics , now you will see the pics that show the inside of the muffler.
Next you will see the big full replaced pipes , but you will see also areas..pipes with some wiring turned around the pipes .
When you remove the wires around the pipes it's under the wires that the location of the perforated pipes/areas are .
So once the wires are removed from around the pipes you will see the 2 small perforated zones too .
I helped out lots of members on here to do this mod. and all are very happy with the result , actually our car should come like this from the factory .
The fault I made is that I didn't from day 1 !
For further questions..feel free and just PM me...I never had problems with that .

Here a video how the 4 pipe replacement sounds like , so here are the 2 big + 2 small perforated pipes replaced by 4 full stainless steel pipes .

07-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Newb17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No need for thanks ..
Look my friend...I've done this mod by myself and with my own hands .
Now it's just normal that you are confused so ...
Advice...
Open my link above again...And take a look at my pics , now you will see the pics that show the inside of the muffler.
Next you will see the big full replaced pipes , but you will see also areas..pipes with some wiring turned around the pipes .
When you remove the wires around the pipes it's under the wires that the location of the perforated pipes/areas are .
So once the wires are removed from around the pipes you will see the 2 small perforated zones too .
I helped out lots of members on here to do this mod. and all are very happy with the result , actually our car should come like this from the factory .
The fault I made is that I didn't from day 1 !
For further questions..feel free and just PM me...I never had problems with that .

Here a video how the 4 pipe replacement sounds like , so here are the 2 big + 2 small perforated pipes replaced by 4 full stainless steel pipes .

Thanks a ton! Sounds perfect. Done deal.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a ton! Sounds perfect. Done deal.
No problem , feel free for further questions and just PM me at anytime .
NOTE : If you don't do the mod. by yourself just send the link of the DIY video to some exhaust shops with the question if they can do the mod.
      07-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
8k3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I don't recommend combining with test pipes; too raspy
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:58 AM   #11
||||||||||
///M Flight - Europe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Here is a video of my car with the OEM Exhaust mod (I believe it is the two pipe method, but the previous owner did it so I can't be sure)

My opinions on this mod:

This is how the car should have sounded from the factory. It is amazing and I never get bored of it.

Starting the car in the morning in my garage it sounds absolute beast. It puts a smile on my face from ear to ear until the cold start kicks off. At idle, the car sounds like stock. I have compared it to a stock E93 M3 at idle. It may be a tad louder, but without hearing the two cars side by side the difference is negligible.

Cruising around there is no drone whatsoever. Even at highway speeds. Keep it at 2-3k RPM's at 70mph, and you can hear the exhaust, but it is nothing irritating whatsoever. Step on the gas, and the car comes alive, especially in the higher rev range.

With the windows up, the exhaust is very docile from inside the car. Outside the car on the other hand is a whole other story. Roll the windows down, and you suddenly understand why all the heads are turning as you drive by. Bottom line: the car is a lot quieter inside with the windows up than it is outside, which also helps eliminate any drone that would normally be present. I actually had a friend in the car with me the other day with the windows up, and he asked if I changed my exhaust because it sounded much quieter than he remembers (he hasn't seen my car in awhile). I said no, it's the same exhaust as before, it's just because the windows are up. I rolled the windows down for a second and gave it a little gas, and he gave me a "yep, there it is" acknowledgement.

Long story short, with JUST the OEM mod, the car is a perfect balance of bad-ass and daily driveability. There are times I think about getting test pipes to give it a more pronounced, exotic type sound, but I wouldn't recommend doing this on any M3 you might even semi-daily drive. I have heard a full exhaust M3 before (I believe he had Borla exhaust and test pipes) and when he downshifted from 5 cars ahead of me on the Autobahn it sounded like he was right next to me. I couldn't live with that, and I have heard the drone with test pipes is unbearable.

My advice: start with the OEM mod. If you want more (but I suspect you will be content with just the OEM mod), then do test pipes.
      07-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #12
bcscout
///MFLIGHT STAFF/NORTHERN EUROPEAN MANAGER
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
OEM exhaust mod- The way to go if you are just looking for sound. I love mine.
      07-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Newb17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Here is a video of my car with the OEM Exhaust mod (I believe it is the two pipe method, but the previous owner did it so I can't be sure)

My opinions on this mod:

This is how the car should have sounded from the factory. It is amazing and I never get bored of it.

Starting the car in the morning in my garage it sounds absolute beast. It puts a smile on my face from ear to ear until the cold start kicks off. At idle, the car sounds like stock. I have compared it to a stock E93 M3 at idle. It may be a tad louder, but without hearing the two cars side by side the difference is negligible.

Cruising around there is no drone whatsoever. Even at highway speeds. Keep it at 2-3k RPM's at 70mph, and you can hear the exhaust, but it is nothing irritating whatsoever. Step on the gas, and the car comes alive, especially in the higher rev range.

With the windows up, the exhaust is very docile from inside the car. Outside the car on the other hand is a whole other story. Roll the windows down, and you suddenly understand why all the heads are turning as you drive by. Bottom line: the car is a lot quieter inside with the windows up than it is outside, which also helps eliminate any drone that would normally be present. I actually had a friend in the car with me the other day with the windows up, and he asked if I changed my exhaust because it sounded much quieter than he remembers (he hasn't seen my car in awhile). I said no, it's the same exhaust as before, it's just because the windows are up. I rolled the windows down for a second and gave it a little gas, and he gave me a "yep, there it is" acknowledgement.

Long story short, with JUST the OEM mod, the car is a perfect balance of bad-ass and daily driveability. There are times I think about getting test pipes to give it a more pronounced, exotic type sound, but I wouldn't recommend doing this on any M3 you might even semi-daily drive. I have heard a full exhaust M3 before (I believe he had Borla exhaust and test pipes) and when he downshifted from 5 cars ahead of me on the Autobahn it sounded like he was right next to me. I couldn't live with that, and I have heard the drone with test pipes is unbearable.

My advice: start with the OEM mod. If you want more (but I suspect you will be content with just the OEM mod), then do test pipes.
Fantastic reply to the thread!!!

Sounds very good! It is noticeably louder than the non-oem mod. I wonder if it could be the bypass OEM mod?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
bcscout
///MFLIGHT STAFF/NORTHERN EUROPEAN MANAGER
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
OEM exhaust mod- The way to go if you are just looking for sound. I love mine.
      07-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

My opinions on this mod:

If you don't know what Oem. exhaust mod. method you have ...You can check which method you have..
You only need to check where the the positions of the welding seams are on your exhaust .
In other words...

1- If the welds are only on the middle section of your exhaust => You have the perforated method .
2- If the welds are on the outside positions , so on the outer sides.. left and right side and in the middle there are no welding seams => You have the straight through (ACM) method .
Please let me know where the position of your welds are ?

But after watching your video I think you have the perforated method because I recognize the sound of my car .
Your video is from great quality , thanks for sharing .
      07-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #16
||||||||||
///M Flight - Europe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
If you don't know what Oem. exhaust mod. method you have ...You can check which method you have..
You only need to check where the the positions of the welding seams are on your exhaust .
In other words...

1- If the welds are only on the middle section of your exhaust => You have the perforated method .
2- If the welds are on the outside positions , so on the outer sides.. left and right side and in the middle there are no welding seams => You have the straight through (ACM) method .
Please let me know where the position of your welds are ?

But after watching your video I think you have the perforated method because I recognize the sound of my car .
Your video is from great quality , thanks for sharing .
Thanks for the advice. I am going to be pulling my muffler out of the car in a few weeks to install some new exhaust tips and respray it black, so I will take a look then (my welds are at the top). Ill let you know what I find
      07-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #17
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2015 Z51 c7

I thought the 2 pipe was underwhelming. I ended up also deleting the resonators. So that helped a lot.

I would for bypass or 4 pipe
      07-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #18
jbl16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Has anybody had a shop do this mod?

Last edited by jbl16; 07-26-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I am going to be pulling my muffler out of the car in a few weeks to install some new exhaust tips and respray it black, so I will take a look then (my welds are at the top). Ill let you know what I find
That's ok for me .
But even now you can see the welds ,and my welds are also on top of the exhaust. So if you want to see them with your exhaust on the car is possible too .
You need to look up through the grill in the middle of the rear bumper with a flash light and so you can see the position of your welds with the exhaust on your car .
Of cours when you need to pull it off your car for the tips you can see it even better .
      07-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
Newb17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I thought the 2 pipe was underwhelming.
Agreed. I hope the 4 pipe is noticeably louder.
Appreciate 0