BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,442
iTrader: (0)

Help - no longer receiving Google Maps messages on idrive

Has anyone encountered this problem - I haven't been able to receive messages on my idrive for addresses sent from Google maps. When I go to Google and send an address to my car it says "message sent successfully" however when I go to messages under the Office menu, the messages aren't there. Do I need to clear the messages (have run out of memory) or any other possibilities why it would suddenly stop working? Thx in advance.


Bump & Update: Just tried to send a message from Google maps today and it worked! Looks like the problem was fixed. Thx everyone.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 09-30-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Update
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
AxisMagi
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 Lemans Blue
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

I've had same problem so I called BMW assist, they said it's same problem
for everyone because google maps latest update messed things up and
they are working to fix it. As soon as new google update comes out
(days to weeks?) should resume working again.

~Axis
__________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP Lemans Blue / ESS VT2-600 Supercharger / Stoptech Trophy BBK / M-Performance Exhaust / Ohlins Road & Track / Audiophile Sound System / Beltronics STir Plus & LI
AxisMagi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,442
iTrader: (0)

Very nice..thx for finding this out!
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
zivyn
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: for enjoyment
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West coast transplant

Posts: 333
iTrader: (12)

My subscription lapsed and they remotely deactivated my headunit for assist features, turns out it's pretty pricey to just 'turn it back on' so if you like this service better to stay on top of it
zivyn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,442
iTrader: (0)

Wait, thought the feature of sending messages to your car was turned on permanently (for the M3s unlike some of the other assist features)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
My subscription lapsed and they remotely deactivated my headunit for assist features, turns out it's pretty pricey to just 'turn it back on' so if you like this service better to stay on top of it
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
zivyn
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: for enjoyment
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West coast transplant

Posts: 333
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Wait, thought the feature of sending messages to your car was turned on permanently (for the M3s unlike some of the other assist features)?
Maybe we're talking about different things, I took "messages from Google maps" to mean addresses. That doesn't work once assist expires. I've never had the option to send text messages to my car, only addresses using Google maps. They did show up in the "Messages" section of Assist, which is gone now they sent the remote deactivation signal.
zivyn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
doc19
Second Lieutenant
 
doc19's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMagi View Post
I've had same problem so I called BMW assist, they said it's same problem
for everyone because google maps latest update messed things up and
they are working to fix it. As soon as new google update comes out
(days to weeks?) should resume working again.

~Axis
Thanks for finding this out, just happened on a road trip - had to rely on my iphone, was going to call BMW assist today had I not come across this thread.
__________________
"This is like having a house-cat thatís a bengal tiger." - Todd Deeken, everydaydriver.com, on owning an e90 m3.
doc19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,442
iTrader: (0)

No, sorry was talking about google maps addresses sent to your car, like you were. Didn't think that expired with assist for the M3s at least, just like real time traffic (which I still get). The last time I tried to send a google address to my car was early Aug, which isn't any anniversary of my auto ownership (it would be 2 yrs in Oct).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Maybe we're talking about different things, I took "messages from Google maps" to mean addresses. That doesn't work once assist expires. I've never had the option to send text messages to my car, only addresses using Google maps. They did show up in the "Messages" section of Assist, which is gone now they sent the remote deactivation signal.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
dogbone
Second Lieutenant
 
dogbone's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 93 million miles from the Sun

Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Thanks for finding this out, just happened on a road trip - had to rely on my iphone, was going to call BMW assist today had I not come across this thread.
If the address doesn't go to the car from Google maps for whatever reason, and you still want the car nav to direct you, you can call BMW Assist from the car and tell them the destination and they can send it to the car.

(Of course, you could always enter it manually too. )
dogbone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMagi View Post
I've had same problem so I called BMW assist, they said it's same problem
for everyone because google maps latest update messed things up and
they are working to fix it. As soon as new google update comes out
(days to weeks?) should resume working again.

~Axis
awesome for sharing this! thanks

Yesterday I sent a map and didn't show up, and I thought it was a one time thing or whatever.

so, do we follow up with them or just wait? anything we need to do on our end as end-users?
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
zivyn
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: for enjoyment
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West coast transplant

Posts: 333
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
No, sorry was talking about google maps addresses sent to your car, like you were. Didn't think that expired with assist for the M3s at least, just like real time traffic (which I still get). The last time I tried to send a google address to my car was early Aug, which isn't any anniversary of my auto ownership (it would be 2 yrs in Oct).
I still get traffic info as well, mine (MY 2009) comes over local radio-waves. Assist is definitely deactivated (double checked today) but maybe they do more than the 4 years with M series?

Mine literally just expired a month ago, so it was a pretty generous offering from the initial sale. Time to upgrade!
zivyn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,442
iTrader: (0)

Bump and Update Just sent a msg from google maps and it worked! Problem was fixed. Thx everyone!
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
spr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

So this doesn't work if assist subscription expires? I added a combox to my car and would love this feature. I have it all coded and have internet and the like. Thanks.
spr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
zivyn
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: for enjoyment
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West coast transplant

Posts: 333
iTrader: (12)

If you added combox you probably lost assist functions anyways. Theoretically you could get a very nice dealer to update your assist profile in the BMW database with the new combox address information, but you'd have to be on pretty good terms. Someone else did it here, might have to search some threads to find out.
zivyn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
mine still not working...
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST