BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Steve Thomas BMW

09-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Law
M TREEZ

Drives: E46 M3 6MT | E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Smile How I Picked Up My E90 M3

Hello Everyone,

I've been on M3Post for quite some time now but mostly just to read and spectate. Today I'd like to share a recent experience, on the purchase of my E90 M3 in August.

BACKGROUND
I've been driving my E46 M3 as a daily since 2011 & always loved the E90 M3 but wasn't quite ready for one. I only started looking for an E90 M3 since early this year.
My criteria for my "new" M3 was simple, 4 doors (E90), 6 speed manual, LCI, well optioned, not modified, and reasonable mileage.
It turns out my criteria was still too complicated for the market and it took a quite a bit of effort to find the right one. Often times, the "right" one was rarely in Southern California, where I reside.

FROM HELLA NORCAL TO TOTALLY SOCAL

Fast forward to August 2013. Found a low mileage (18,xxx) 2011 M3 6-speed, Jerez black on Fox Red interior. The Carfax was available for review and it was clean inside and out, dealer bought, sold, and serviced. It was a little bit out of budget at $52,xxx but I couldn't escape the thought that it was a good deal for such a well maintained, low mileage and last model year production example with all the options i wanted. I decided to go for it!

Problem was, it was located at Mountain View BMW in NorCal while I live and work in SoCal.

Solution: road trip with some good friends on the weekend.
Turns out, I really found some good company...two of my good buddies drove their M5s, one E39 and one E60. If the deal worked out, we thought, it would be a hell of a fun cruise back.

Credit app and preliminary paperwork was processed the day prior on Friday. We get there Saturday morning and I meet the internet sales manager. As expected, he wasn't ignorant of the market and so did not budge on the price. After doing a brief PPI/walk-around and knocking a few hundred bucks off sticker price by pointing out imperfections nicks and other flaws, I signed all the paperwork and took delivery of my "new" M3

DELIVERY

What a satisfying moment it was, to walk out of the dealership with my good friends waiting for the good news.
AND THEN, some bad news happened.
Turns out, the front bumper was hit moments before I took delivery

My buddy that did a walk-around with me before the purchase was baffled, and so was i. How did this happen? It definitely wasn't there when we first looked at it before signing...
Well, a higher up from the management came outside to address the problem. The dealership vaguely admitted fault, but since i wasn't local, doing a "complimentary repair" at their certified repair station was out of the question. The only thing left was to draft a new contract. Ended up knocking $500 off sticker, which saved me around $600 after tax. Not exactly fair compensation, but I had no choice.

It was a disappointing moment initially, but I decided not to let it ruin the trip for everybody, as I could deal with the bumper at a later date. The important thing is that the car I wanted is mine, and I still have an epic cruise back down to SoCal with my friends.
But first, lunch!

LUNCH

No, we didn't actually eat at the Fast Mart. There was a nice Thai restaurant in the adjacent building, but by then my mind was too burnt out to notice names so I have no recollection of the name of the restaurant.
After lunch, the afternoon hours were quickly going by, and we needed to decide on photoshoot and scenic drive locations.
First stop, dropped by a parking lot near Googleplex to admire the cars and really decide on which routes we would be taking back.

17-MILE DRIVE / PEBBLE BEACH

We decided to take the famous 17-Mile Drive at Pebble Beach.
What a beautiful piece of California scenery it was!
It costed a few bucks (<$10) to enter but definitely worth every penny.

My friend took some great photos from 17-Mile Drive and it was easily one of the most memorable drives I've had.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

After I got back to SoCal, I had a lot to clean up.
I swapped the wheels (Volk TE37 SL) from the E46 to the E90 to see how they sit. I liked them so much i left them on.
Miscellaneous things aside, the first order of business was to get a new front bumper. While that was going on, I had the bodyshop paint my reflectors as well.

& the finished product

JUXTAPOSITION

Beautiful machines. After driving both back to back, I can conclude that though both the E46 and E90 share a common M3 badge, they are made for completely different purposes and driving feels. The common denominator is still race-bred balance and performance with daily drivability, but the balance between "race"/"sporty" feel and "daily/refined" feel are opposite for both cars. Obviously, the E46 for more spirited fun on a mountain road or track and E90 as a high speed cruiser. That is not to dismiss the cruising ability of the E46 or track-ability of the E90, but the immediate feel of both cars do suggest that difference of focus. Still, I enjoy both

MANY ROADS AHEAD

It has been just over a month that I've had the E90. And I really love driving it, especially with the peace of mind that comes with warranty and a newer vehicle, a luxury which I didn't have with the E46 as i bought a 2004 in 2011.
I've done some subtle things since then, OEM BMW performance grilles, LED everything, and some Eibach springs (parts from RENN-Spec, Bryte LED, & Platte Forme a.g.). Needless to say, the first month with my E90 M3 has been quite a journey already. I'm looking forward to more memories and epic drives with it. Just wanted to share my journey for my E90 M3...not exactly a Euro Delivery, but its as close as it gets for a used car. Thoughts, comments, welcome, thanks for reading!

| HKS | KW | RECARO | RAYS |
Law is offline   Taiwan
      09-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Golf Cart

very nice! congrats

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Our Parts Store--> http://www.bmwpartspros.com
      09-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Very nice! I'm pretty sure I've read your E46 journal at some point.

It took me forever to find my car too. I live in SC, and purchased my E92 sight unseen from a dealership in LA. Yea that was a scary waiting period as the car was being shipped to me, but everything turned out amazing.

Congrats on an awesome garage!
      09-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
IMG
VT3

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Very nice,enjoy !

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
      09-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Edjay
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Wow, you did the opposite of how I bought our M3. We bought it from OC and drove it north. At the time I could not find one around me. E90 4dr 6spd no sunroof white with black trim. Took almost the same drive back. I even took the front bumper to the body shop once I got back so it can be repaired also as the dealer screwed on their plate inserts.
      09-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Mmmdreamer
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Nice cars you had to roll with, sounds like a great trip...it's always a bit nerveracking having to travel a long distance to buy something you haven't seen in person yet...you're negotiating power kind of sucks since you're pretty desperate at that point lol Glad everything worked out...I love my e90! Best 4 door you can get!
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Mmmdreamer is offline   United_States
      09-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Jesal@IND

Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Jesal@IND
Great story! Welcome to the E90 M3 club!
      09-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
NJCRUSH
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3 Limerock/M3 Frozen Black

Beautiful Car and great photos. Best of luck with the new ride...
NJCRUSH is offline   United_States
      09-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
positiveions
Lieutenant General

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Common denominator: you are right-built for the same reason, but with two different power force.
Congrats. Looks clean.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
      09-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Sam@ModeCarbon

Drives: using 3 pedals

Congrats!
      09-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
jonasaurus
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

Awesome nice write up. How's the fitment of e46 spec te37sl to the e90?
      09-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Marc08EX
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Amazing story and great write-up! That's a great experience and to do it with your car buddies sure is a blast.

Nice car and congrats on your new M3!
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Tail Lights | Performance Spoiler | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | 19" VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
      09-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
i001947
Captain

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Great story about being passionate and showing patient for what you wanted.

Congrats
      09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
carchrism5
Major

Drives: 1M

Send a message via AIM to carchrism5
Nice story, now you have a fun little combo of cars there. Also a rare find/ good price on the E90.
carchrism5 is offline   United_States
      09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 11 E92 M3

Your E90 & E46 look great together.
lsmkr01 is offline   United_States
      09-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
KEYON
Brigadier General

Drives: '14 RS5

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.83]
Congrats!
KEYON is offline   United_States
      09-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes

Drives: e92 335i 6mt

congrats! it's gorgeous

jerez on fox red is exactly the scheme I want to get

... and obviously the deal is going to work out when you show up with all your boys hahah
      09-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
GotE46M
Private First Class

Drives: 2002 CB M3

You work in City of Industry?
      09-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
BMW Fanatic
Banned

Drives: slow

Awesome man, congrats on the new ride and BTW love the 219's on the E46.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
      09-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Law
M TREEZ

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCRUSH View Post
Beautiful Car and great photos. Best of luck with the new ride...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@IND View Post
Great story! Welcome to the E90 M3 club!
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Very nice,enjoy !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
very nice! congrats
Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Very nice! I'm pretty sure I've read your E46 journal at some point.

It took me forever to find my car too. I live in SC, and purchased my E92 sight unseen from a dealership in LA. Yea that was a scary waiting period as the car was being shipped to me, but everything turned out amazing.

Congrats on an awesome garage!
Thanks! I had a brief build thread on M3Forum a couple years back on my motor rebuild. Looks like a lot of us are driving back and forth for these cars. Worth it at the end though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjay View Post
Wow, you did the opposite of how I bought our M3. We bought it from OC and drove it north. At the time I could not find one around me. E90 4dr 6spd no sunroof white with black trim. Took almost the same drive back. I even took the front bumper to the body shop once I got back so it can be repaired also as the dealer screwed on their plate inserts.
Wow, that is almost the same story. Looks like timing is everything. I've always wondered what NorCal people think when they drive down to SoCal. For me, every time I drive up there i notice it is much more calm and chill. Weather is a tad better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
Nice cars you had to roll with, sounds like a great trip...it's always a bit nerveracking having to travel a long distance to buy something you haven't seen in person yet...you're negotiating power kind of sucks since you're pretty desperate at that point lol Glad everything worked out...I love my e90! Best 4 door you can get!
It definitely didn't help that we came from long distance and roll up in 2 M5s, probably looked rather excessive. But i wouldn't have done it any other way.
It was nerveracking at first, because of the uncertainty. We made efforts to get as much information from the dealer about the car and everything before we confirmed it was worth going.
In the end, it was the warranty, clean carfax, low mileage, and the fact that it was bought, serviced, and sold at the same dealership that really earned my trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Common denominator: you are right-built for the same reason, but with two different power force.
Congrats. Looks clean.
Thanks! Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Awesome nice write up. How's the fitment of e46 spec te37sl to the e90?
Thank you. The TE37SL are a square setup, 18x9.5 +15 all around.
The rears can use a small spacer, but the front fitment is good, owing to the offset of +15. I have to admit though, they looked pretty serious on my E46 running -3.5 camber in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
Amazing story and great write-up! That's a great experience and to do it with your car buddies sure is a blast.

Nice car and congrats on your new M3!
Thanks man! I definitely can't discount the help from my friends. A memorable weekend for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947 View Post
Great story about being passionate and showing patient for what you wanted.

Congrats
Thank you. This is my first experience of this type. I'm so used to the availability of cars and parts in SoCal so this was definitely something different and might set the precedent for future road trips to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
Nice story, now you have a fun little combo of cars there. Also a rare find/ good price on the E90.
Thank you, they make a great duo! And you're right, the price was really hard to ignore especially considering similarly equipped E90s with higher mileage had on average $2k more asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Your E90 & E46 look great together.
Thanks, they complement each other beautifully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
congrats! it's gorgeous

jerez on fox red is exactly the scheme I want to get

... and obviously the deal is going to work out when you show up with all your boys hahah
Thank you. Actually, its ironic because i was initially looking for black interior. I didn't realize what a nice contrast red adds to certain colors as Jerez Black, and decided to give it a go...now i love it!

And for real on your last sentence. Of course driving all the way out there is a mission and it would suck to come back without the car, but definitely the presence of my friends contributed to the mood. Everyone already had the mental image and plan that I was picking up the car and then we have an epic photoshoot and cruise back. Glad everything worked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotE46M View Post
You work in City of Industry?
Actually, yes I do. How do you know? Are you from around?
Law is offline   Taiwan
      09-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
Law
M TREEZ

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Awesome man, congrats on the new ride and BTW love the 219's on the E46.
Thanks! The wheels worked out surprisingly well for both cars. I gotta say though, the 219's are more at home on the E46 vs the E90.
Law is offline   Taiwan
      09-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
ijnoj09
modjunkie

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Congrats... Enjoy it!

Instagram: @jonji_pas
ijnoj09 is offline   Philippines