BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
VF Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Frozen White M3 in Winter

Hi all,

Just worked out the numbers on a Frozen White E92 and Mineral White E92 and I am wondering how the communities feedback is on winter driving a frozen finish..

It is not 100% I'll pick it up as the car got locked in while we were running numbers but we are hoping for a call back from the other dealership tomorrow morning to say we can still have it! Mineral White with Fox Red is the other option that is still open.

Please can we not turn this into a 'frozen paints are so hard to maintain' 'oh you don't know what you're talking about' thread. We have some pretty rough winters here in Calgary, AB but all I know is the 2011 Jet Black got me through 2 winters without a single hiccup (well maybe once but no big deal it was just the drive way), so if the drivers of frozen finishes say it can withstand the condition of brutal winter then I will probably most likely trade mine in for it, per its availability of course.

Thanks all!
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
cambit
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

just get a clear bra / PPF installed. problem solved.
cambit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
chris s
Major General
 
chris s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 5,290
iTrader: (8)

The frozen paint and clear coat are no more susceptible to damage than a standard paint/clear coat. The issue is IF you do sustain some chips or scratches, the paint can't simply be touched up or buffed out the way a standard paint can be.
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
chris s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
mitchponton
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

I want to see pictures of this car in the snow.
__________________
2001 Laguna Seca Blue M3 Dinan S2
Links to my Photographer
mitchponton is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
The frozen paint and clear coat are no more susceptible to damage than a standard paint/clear coat. The issue is IF you do sustain some chips or scratches, the paint can't simply be touched up or buffed out the way a standard paint can be.
My sales guy who is also an enthusiast said that the paint can be simply touched up and it actually looks a lot less noticeable than a gloss finish touch up job.. I am not saying you're wrong, just wondering if somebody can clarify. Thanks!
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchponton View Post
I want to see pictures of this car in the snow.
Ask and you shall receive..



BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Hujan
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,552
iTrader: (3)

Now, that's a frozen color!
Hujan is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
chris s
Major General
 
chris s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 5,290
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
My sales guy who is also an enthusiast said that the paint can be simply touched up and it actually looks a lot less noticeable than a gloss finish touch up job.. I am not saying you're wrong, just wondering if somebody can clarify. Thanks!
And I guess that's what makes him a sales guy. I've seen a touched up frozen color and I thought it was way more obvious than a standard color touch up.
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
chris s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
mcasseba
Private
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Frozen
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

So far so good with frozen white, I would get a Suntek matte clear bra for front bumper and rocker panels. You can touch it it up like I did with brilliant white OEM, for small chips but I think you can blend a regular clear coat better than a frozen one.

Also, buy Dr. bresley matte paint kit, you will need paint cleaner and sealant which work great.

As far as looks, much better looking than glossy white.
mcasseba is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Kunman
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)

very nice, i live in a hilly region of Toronto. did you have trouble getting up hills? And also did you dd it even if it snowed alot?
Kunman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Now, that's a frozen color!


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
And I guess that's what makes him a sales guy. I've seen a touched up frozen color and I thought it was way more obvious than a standard color touch up.
Well I guess I'll have to see it in person to make my own judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasseba View Post
So far so good with frozen white, I would get a Suntek matte clear bra for front bumper and rocker panels. You can touch it it up like I did with brilliant white OEM, for small chips but I think you can blend a regular clear coat better than a frozen one.

Also, buy Dr. bresley matte paint kit, you will need paint cleaner and sealant which work great.

As far as looks, much better looking than glossy white.
Just saw the video of their kit in action, amazing nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunman View Post
very nice, i live in a hilly region of Toronto. did you have trouble getting up hills? And also did you dd it even if it snowed alot?
Calgary is definitely worse than Toronto in my personal opinion and yes I dd the car no matter what, so Toronto shouldn't be bad at all. Hills are no problems because of the LSD. I had only one day where I couldn't drive it last week and that's because I was too lazy to shovel 5 feet of snow off of my driveway.

I would run a 245/40/18 square set up for 100% efficiency.

Hope that helps!

--

Come on guys, I know there is someone out there who daily drives their frozen through harsh winters, speak up!
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
mitchponton
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

That black contrasting with the snow looks great. I thought it was going to be a frozen white M3 in the snow but wow that looks awesome!
__________________
2001 Laguna Seca Blue M3 Dinan S2
Links to my Photographer
mitchponton is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Kunman
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post




Well I guess I'll have to see it in person to make my own judgement.



Just saw the video of their kit in action, amazing nonetheless!



Calgary is definitely worse than Toronto in my personal opinion and yes I dd the car no matter what, so Toronto shouldn't be bad at all. Hills are no problems because of the LSD. I had only one day where I couldn't drive it last week and that's because I was too lazy to shovel 5 feet of snow off of my driveway.

I would run a 245/40/18 square set up for 100% efficiency.

Hope that helps!

--

Come on guys, I know there is someone out there who daily drives their frozen through harsh winters, speak up!

WHAT?? TORONTO NUMBER 1, TORONTO IS THE BEST! YRAHHHHHHH MRUICA!!!

did you put a clear bra on for the winter?
Kunman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
HeartMD
Captain
 
HeartMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 653
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchponton View Post
That black contrasting with the snow looks great. I thought it was going to be a frozen white M3 in the snow but wow that looks awesome!
+1
I definately am digging your current murdered out ride. Always have been a sucker for JB when its clean. The contrast with the snow actually looks awesome.
__________________
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
HeartMD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
///Matt.BLU
Private First Class
 
///Matt.BLU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto

Posts: 164
iTrader: (1)

I have a frozen blue, but I'm not going to find out how it holds up to winter. Going to be storing it somewhere. I'd still be interested to know how the paint holds up to salt and winter in general though.
///Matt.BLU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,579
iTrader: (0)

idk man frozen white is kind of baller. if you want the title come and get it.....

^ zero sense was made
__________________
Ezio is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
mitchponton
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt.BLU View Post
I have a frozen blue, but I'm not going to find out how it holds up to winter. Going to be storing it somewhere. I'd still be interested to know how the paint holds up to salt and winter in general though.
Would you at least take it outside for a photoshoot? frozen blue would look awesome in the snow
__________________
2001 Laguna Seca Blue M3 Dinan S2
Links to my Photographer
mitchponton is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunman View Post
WHAT?? TORONTO NUMBER 1, TORONTO IS THE BEST! YRAHHHHHHH MRUICA!!!

did you put a clear bra on for the winter?
Clear bra since day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
+1
I definately am digging your current murdered out ride. Always have been a sucker for JB when its clean. The contrast with the snow actually looks awesome.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
idk man frozen white is kind of baller. if you want the title come and get it.....

^ zero sense was made
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

I got f'd on the Frozen White AND at least 4 Mineral White's but it isn't the end of the world, my back up was a Fire Orange so will probably take delivery of it next week.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
mikeric
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition Package
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wilmington, DE

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Post pics when you get it.
mikeric is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
Kwando
Captain
 
Kwando's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, Ontario

Posts: 899
iTrader: (0)

Fire orange is the right choice.
Kwando is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
satrenidk
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: london

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

I want to see pictures of this car in the snow.
__________________
satrenidk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST