BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Velos Designwerks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (2)

Foam Gun

I consider myself a noob at detailing. My car gets dirty with-in two days and sits dirty for some time until I have the time to clean it. Though I do like to take care of it so I don't scratch it when I wash it. Anyways, question on the Foam Guns...

1) Do you use the Foam guns for pre-wash only (apply and wash off) or for your actual wash (meaning using your sponge as well)?

2) A decent foam gun for the hose (no pressure washer) recommendation. I don't want anything too expensive as I will upgrade as I get more involved.

Thanks all!
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
chris s
Major General
 
chris s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 5,246
iTrader: (8)

check a few of the detailing sites. detailersdomain for one. I have a gilmore foam gun, which attaches to a hose. It's great for a prewash and then for the actual wash stage as well. it foams nicely.

I think i paid $60 when i bought it.
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
chris s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
check a few of the detailing sites. detailersdomain for one. I have a gilmore foam gun, which attaches to a hose. It's great for a prewash and then for the actual wash stage as well. it foams nicely.

I think i paid $60 when i bought it.
Thanks for the answers and suggestion.
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,409
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
What I do is pre-rinse my car. Then use the foamaster gun to apply the soap, wait for few minutes, and then rinse off. Then apply another foam, and wash.

I used to use Gilmour foamaster gun II. But now I have a power washer with MTM lance foam-works better.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
chris s
Major General
 
chris s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 5,246
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
What I do is pre-rinse my car. Then use the foamaster gun to apply the soap, wait for few minutes, and then rinse off. Then apply another foam, and wash.

I used to use Gilmour foamaster gun II. But now I have a power washer with MTM lance foam-works better.

Exactly what i do...
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
chris s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 850
iTrader: (0)

I used to get the idea from these forums that the MTM would be good enough to just foam on/rinse off -- this is not the case. What I've begun to do is foam up a section of the car, wash off with grit-guarded rinse bucket and MF mitt. Then rinse with power washer -- repeat with the next section. I tried foaming the entire car and then rinsing off, but most of the grime is stuck on good enough that it didn't remove it.

After the wash, dry with big MF towel, then hit any missed/tough spots with QD and/or 3M Adhesive remover with a little MF towel (tough bugs, etc).
nullrouted is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (2)

Thanks all.
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,009
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I use a foam gun for the prewash. Microfiber sponge for actual wash. I never dry with any sort of towel. I use the Master Blaster to air dry.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I use a foam gun for the prewash. Microfiber sponge for actual wash. I never dry with any sort of towel. I use the Master Blaster to air dry.
I guess what I was getting at is do you scrub the foam with your microfiber sponge? Pre-wash you apply and rinse correct..
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,009
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
I guess what I was getting at is do you scrub the foam with your microfiber sponge? Pre-wash you apply and rinse correct..
I do not rinse the prewash before scrubbing as most of what's there has run down the car already.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I do not rinse the prewash before scrubbing as most of what's there has run down the car already.
gotcha. Thanks Matt.
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,280
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
I used to get the idea from these forums that the MTM would be good enough to just foam on/rinse off -- this is not the case. What I've begun to do is foam up a section of the car, wash off with grit-guarded rinse bucket and MF mitt. Then rinse with power washer -- repeat with the next section. I tried foaming the entire car and then rinsing off, but most of the grime is stuck on good enough that it didn't remove it.

After the wash, dry with big MF towel, then hit any missed/tough spots with QD and/or 3M Adhesive remover with a little MF towel (tough bugs, etc).
Exactly what I do.

Having said that though, I'd rather have a powerwasher than a foam gun if I was given the choice. Got a small electric one from Walmart for like $160. Very handy to have.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Tanz_S65
Private First Class
 
Tanz_S65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Heads up if you're thinking about buying the Gilmore foam gun...cheaper on Amazon than detailersdomain. Not to knock Phil at all because they are top notch and they're my go-to vendor but facts are facts.
__________________
2013 E92 M3 - Tanzanite Blue/Black Extended, Carbon Leather, Premium Package, Comp Package, Moonroof, Heated Seats
Tanz_S65 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
Brian_Fantana
Private
 
Brian_Fantana's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gig harbor wa

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Honeydew snowfoam plus foam cannon from detailers domain.

Brian_Fantana is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,471
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fantana View Post
Honeydew snowfoam plus foam cannon from detailers domain.

just curious but how much did you use and what is the gpm/psi of your pressure washer
__________________
10 E90 M3/dct/ztp/zpp/heated seats/eps/19'/iPod
retired- 08 535i/nav/prem./L7/ipod
retired- 06 325i/nav/prem./sat/xenons/style 128

rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Brian_Fantana
Private
 
Brian_Fantana's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gig harbor wa

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
I typically fill my bottle until I have room enough left for about 4 oz of product. Turn the foam all the way up and use a generac pressure washer. Specs are 2.3 gpm and 2700 psi. During my rinse I'm sure to use a head that does not allow me to utilize all 2700 psi to ensure I don't damage my clear coat. Electrics are super convenient, but expensive to get one with consistently favorable reviews.

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com...her/p6545.html
Brian_Fantana is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,471
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fantana View Post
I typically fill my bottle until I have room enough left for about 4 oz of product. Turn the foam all the way up and use a generac pressure washer. Specs are 2.3 gpm and 2700 psi. During my rinse I'm sure to use a head that does not allow me to utilize all 2700 psi to ensure I don't damage my clear coat. Electrics are super convenient, but expensive to get one with consistently favorable reviews.

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com...her/p6545.html
I thought I saw a gas powered system. The more power the thicker the foam you get
__________________
10 E90 M3/dct/ztp/zpp/heated seats/eps/19'/iPod
retired- 08 535i/nav/prem./L7/ipod
retired- 06 325i/nav/prem./sat/xenons/style 128

rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
 
OC ///M's Avatar
 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Best foaming action...

^ Besides having the right pressure and flow rate, (I've found the best success w/ 1.8gpm & 2k psi) the thickest and longest-lasting foam is created when running a DI system instead of straight city water.
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
OC ///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
Hujan
Major
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,343
iTrader: (3)

Forgive my naivety as I'm just getting into DIY washing and detailing . . .

Is the purpose of the foam gun to greatly reduce the risk of swirls/scratches when you wash?

I do the two-bucket wash with grates and use a microfiber mitt (all of which I got from Adams/Detailers Domain). I'm planning to get a blower/dryer so that I can avoid drying with a cloth. But I'm still paranoid about getting swirls/scratches even with the two-bucket method.

Would a pre-rinse with foam help?

Also, are you guys rinsing with water and then foaming, or just going straight to foam?

Thanks gents!
Hujan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
skins333
Captain
 
skins333's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 972
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Forgive my naivety as I'm just getting into DIY washing and detailing . . .

Is the purpose of the foam gun to greatly reduce the risk of swirls/scratches when you wash?

I do the two-bucket wash with grates and use a microfiber mitt (all of which I got from Adams/Detailers Domain). I'm planning to get a blower/dryer so that I can avoid drying with a cloth. But I'm still paranoid about getting swirls/scratches even with the two-bucket method.

Would a pre-rinse with foam help?

Also, are you guys rinsing with water and then foaming, or just going straight to foam?

Thanks gents!
Yup. Here is one example with good explanation.

skins333 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,471
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Forgive my naivety as I'm just getting into DIY washing and detailing . . .

Is the purpose of the foam gun to greatly reduce the risk of swirls/scratches when you wash?

I do the two-bucket wash with grates and use a microfiber mitt (all of which I got from Adams/Detailers Domain). I'm planning to get a blower/dryer so that I can avoid drying with a cloth. But I'm still paranoid about getting swirls/scratches even with the two-bucket method.

Would a pre-rinse with foam help?

Also, are you guys rinsing with water and then foaming, or just going straight to foam?

Thanks gents!
Straight to foam
__________________
10 E90 M3/dct/ztp/zpp/heated seats/eps/19'/iPod
retired- 08 535i/nav/prem./L7/ipod
retired- 06 325i/nav/prem./sat/xenons/style 128

rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Hujan
Major
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,343
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins333 View Post
Yup. Here is one example with good explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Straight to foam
Thanks for this, guys. I've been missing out. Definitely going to pick one up.
Hujan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST