BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
You're right
Just comes at the price of quicker wear on rotors.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
edwinm3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
You're right
Just comes at the price of quicker wear on rotors.
True, and lots of noise. I always switch the OEMs with PFC-01s at home before going to the track and it sounds like a school bus when coming to a stop, embarrassing lol
      09-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, and lots of noise. I always switch the OEMs with PFC-01s at home before going to the track and it sounds like a school bus when coming to a stop, embarrassing lol
I have a set of st pads I have never put on. Just run the sr34s all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
edwinm3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
I have a set of st pads I have never put on. Just run the sr34s all the time.
PFC01s are just too much for the street.
      09-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm View Post
take a look at stoptech street performance pads, ultra low dust and pretty good braking power, more than enough for street, even some light track use, pretty cheap too, check them out on amazon.
Agreed. Just make sure you bed them in really well when you install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
OEM pads are awesome for the street. Good initial bite, low wear, no noise, minimal dust... Not sure why anything else would be preferred. Now for any track use forget about OEM.

The Stoptechs have better hot torque and MUCH higher temp ratings but they don't have the nice initial bite of the oem. It's a pretty big difference.
Minimal dust? You must wash your call twice a week!!
Stoptech's that are bedded properly have great initial bite. You do need to do it again after a while. After a track day, they bite like crazy, but it slowly goes away after a couple months.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #28
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
So no one has experience with the Cool Carbons for street/track use?
Have you searched? Ppl have had catastrophic situations with those on the track. Go read.

Do you go to the track? Because you might as well get some oem for street and track pads for track.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #29
shuggy
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Space Gray

Last month, EAS installed the StopTech Street Performance, flushed with Motul 600, and swapped brake lines to SS Goodridge (6 lines.)

I believe initial bite is better than OEM now and aggressive braking provides more confident pedal feedback. Not sure if it's shaving any 60-0 stopping power, but I'm sure for the majority of us non-pro drivers here, it's more useful in the braking department to provide better confidence than best stats.

The StopTechs produce *significantly* less dust. It used to be a PITA to clean the inner section of the stock 220's coated with Opti-Coat 2.0, even with Sonax Full Effect, as the OEM pads coated it with a lot of brown (iron? - I think) residue. Now it is effortless.
'11 E90 M3 | Space Gray, Black Novillo - Extended Leather, DCT, ZPP, ZTP | BMW M Performance Exhaust /EU Front Bumper /Black Grilles & Gills /EU Visor /EU Rear Fog Switch /OEM Interior & Exterior CF /Aluminum Pedals /M Floor & Trunk Mats | DINAN Underdrive Pulley /Front Sway | MS Test Pipes | ESS Tune | StopTech | Motul 600 | Huper Optik | Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 | LUX H8 v3
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Stoptech st's are no good for the track either once you are above beginner status. They will wear way too quick due to overheating them and likely leave a decent amount of pad transfer.

You are correct about confidence. I have st-40's all the way around with sr34 pads and they don't stop any quicker just more consistent, can put heat in them and not worry about fade. Weak link now for me is fluid. Once you can modulate perfectly it makes for a very fast set up.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #31
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2010 e92 m3

what about stoptech's posi quiet line? their site makes it seem like its amazing lol. High temp resistance, low dust, long lasting, low rotor wear, low noise. How is this possible?
      11-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #32
W///
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

I've never even tracked my car, but would love more initial bite than OEM. Brake dust is non factor for me because my HRE's are the same color as brake dust.

So recommendation to stick to OEM with good fluid I guess?