BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #45
Devious21
Lieutenant
 
Devious21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 556
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Of my many years of usage (especially in BC) I have yet to meet someone that was addicted to mj and mj alone.
Well I've had two of my closest friends go through periods when they were addicted. By addicted I mean they went from just smoking on the weekends with friends to smoking by themselves multiple times a day.

Their social circles changed, they had money problems, trouble at work etc. It became hard to hang out with them because every conversation and every activity revolves around it.

They eventually both overcame it. One friend now has a family and no longer smokes. The other still smokes just much MUCH less.

Those are just two of my friends. I know half a dozen people that I went to high school with that just became burn outs and still live like that. Some move on to bigger drugs, some just do nothing all day and spend their lives trying to get high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
If we want to classify all addictions being equal then I would put coffee, McDonald's, or even coca cola in this equation and see what % comes up. I personally am addicted to tea, I MUST and I repeat MUST have a good cup of Chinese tea every morning.
We don't want to classify all addictions as being equal. Caffeine is a stimulant. Marijuana is a hallucinogenic that affects perception. Alcohol is a depressant that affects judgement. There's a reason you can drive on the effects of coffee but you shouldn't on the effects of weed or alcohol.

Someone else had mentioned that they didn't think smoking twice a day was addicted. Ask yourself if someone needed to get drunk twice a day, would we consider them to have a problem.
__________________

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Devious21 is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,610
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Ask yourself if someone needed to get drunk twice a day, would we consider them to have a problem.
no thats normal, i can quit anytime i want, i just dont want to! get out of my head.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
Devious21
Lieutenant
 
Devious21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 556
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
no thats normal, i can quit anytime i want, i just dont want to! get out of my head.
__________________

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Devious21 is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #48
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,610
iTrader: (5)

I only do it because I'm thirsty a lot!
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #49
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,240
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
I don't think it's good for your health if you have a family history of Schizophrenia.
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #50
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (0)

Now how long will it take for someone to invent an electronic joint similar to an electronic cigarette?
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #51
Nkc
Lieutenant
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 35i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Now how long will it take for someone to invent an electronic joint similar to an electronic cigarette?
I think a vaporizer is pretty close to what you are looking for.
__________________
Originally Posted by Litos:
"when I'm watching porn and anal comes on, I beat off even harder to simulate a dude's butt....."

E89 35i DCT E36 Z3 M-Roadster
Nkc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #52
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I think a vaporizer is pretty close to what you are looking for.
Can you walk around with one held between your fingers? No question, though, the vaporizer's functionality is one part of it.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #53
Nkc
Lieutenant
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 35i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Can you walk around with one held between your fingers? No question, though, the vaporizer's functionality is one part of it.
here you go

__________________
Originally Posted by Litos:
"when I'm watching porn and anal comes on, I beat off even harder to simulate a dude's butt....."

E89 35i DCT E36 Z3 M-Roadster
Nkc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #54
Nkc
Lieutenant
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 35i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

I'd prefer the pen sized vapes for larger storage and discreteness. Looks like you're just biting on your pen.




__________________
Originally Posted by Litos:
"when I'm watching porn and anal comes on, I beat off even harder to simulate a dude's butt....."

E89 35i DCT E36 Z3 M-Roadster
Nkc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #55
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
here you go

[video deleted]
Does it, like the electronic cigs, leave no smell too? Not that it has to, but I am curious.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #56
Nkc
Lieutenant
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 35i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Does it, like the electronic cigs, leave no smell too? Not that it has to, but I am curious.
The vapes i'm use to only leave a very mild herbal smell and rarely visible vapor. Its when I really box an enclosed area for a whole day of sessions that the room starts smelling a bit funny, but nothing close to even a puff of mj or cigarette in an enclosed area.
__________________
Originally Posted by Litos:
"when I'm watching porn and anal comes on, I beat off even harder to simulate a dude's butt....."

E89 35i DCT E36 Z3 M-Roadster
Nkc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #57
Nkc
Lieutenant
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 35i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Well I've had two of my closest friends go through periods when they were addicted. By addicted I mean they went from just smoking on the weekends with friends to smoking by themselves multiple times a day.

Their social circles changed, they had money problems, trouble at work etc. It became hard to hang out with them because every conversation and every activity revolves around it.

They eventually both overcame it. One friend now has a family and no longer smokes. The other still smokes just much MUCH less.

Those are just two of my friends. I know half a dozen people that I went to high school with that just became burn outs and still live like that. Some move on to bigger drugs, some just do nothing all day and spend their lives trying to get high.



We don't want to classify all addictions as being equal. Caffeine is a stimulant. Marijuana is a hallucinogenic that affects perception. Alcohol is a depressant that affects judgement. There's a reason you can drive on the effects of coffee but you shouldn't on the effects of weed or alcohol.

Someone else had mentioned that they didn't think smoking twice a day was addicted. Ask yourself if someone needed to get drunk twice a day, would we consider them to have a problem.
I'm really sorry to hear that two of your closest friends got addicted. I've been thru some "pothead" stages too where I would wake and bake and carry on till it was sleepy time for a month straight, ok maybe 3 months. My best excuse for that is quite simple, I really had nothing better to do at the time and mj just made everything a tad more interesting and entertaining. The good old quote of "but have you tried doing ..... on weed?" I've known a handful of potheads thru out the years but you also have to accept that some people are just naturally "burn outs" and never strive to achieve anything. Some people like to just chill and be free rather than push push push all the time. I understand your legitimate argument for mj being an addictive drug and I do feel some people are genuinely addicted to it but only a very very small % classify as a true addiction.

Here I go advocating again. Sorry guys.
__________________
Originally Posted by Litos:
"when I'm watching porn and anal comes on, I beat off even harder to simulate a dude's butt....."

E89 35i DCT E36 Z3 M-Roadster
Nkc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #58
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Someone else had mentioned that they didn't think smoking twice a day was addicted. Ask yourself if someone needed to get drunk twice a day, would we consider them to have a problem.
You can't compare marijuana with alcohol. Alcohol impairs you much more than marijuana could. Also you have to look at tolerance. Somebody that has never smoked marijuana before would have alot stronger effects from it than somebody who is more experienced with it. Some people you wouldn't even be able to tell that they had just smoked weed, and you can still be productive even after consuming larger amounts of cannabis. You can't really say the same about alcohol. You can actually be more productive using cannabis than you would be without. For example washing dishes or manual labor are much more enjoyable with a little bit of Mary Jane.

I do see your point in how it could effect people negatively as it is a drug. I have seen it make some people irresponsible, but I think it mainly depends on how responsible you are to begin with, or how mature you are. It is natural and as far as we can tell, it is a safe drug, but it is still a drug. That means that some of the people that use it are people that do drugs. I'm talking about hard drugs like meth, heroin, crack, and others. These types of people do not care about their health or their life, and should be avoided.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,610
iTrader: (5)

Tolerence develops with any drug. Being able to have more and function isn't a good thing. Lots of alcoholics can't funtion as well without, that's because they are alcoholics. Same goes for almost any drug. Your also restating the natural fallacy. Whether something occurs in nature has no bearing on whether it is good for you or not. Too much of anything is bad for you. Too much water can kill you.
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #60
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
The vapes i'm use to only leave a very mild herbal smell and rarely visible vapor. Its when I really box an enclosed area for a whole day of sessions that the room starts smelling a bit funny, but nothing close to even a puff of mj or cigarette in an enclosed area.
Smoking concentrates out of a vape or a water pipe is nice. A couple dabs out of an oil rig will have you feeling good. Also it seems safer than smoking, because you extract only the oils from the plant and vaporize them. I think you could even put bho in an electronic cigarette.

bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #61
Devious21
Lieutenant
 
Devious21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 556
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Some people you wouldn't even be able to tell that they had just smoked weed, and you can still be productive even after consuming larger amounts of cannabis. You can't really say the same about alcohol. You can actually be more productive using cannabis than you would be without. For example washing dishes or manual labor are much more enjoyable with a little bit of Mary Jane.
The Mad Men from the 50's would same the same thing about "a little scotch" or "a little brandy". They also had better tolerances to it, since they drank all the time and could function on it. Their jobs were "much more enjoyable" with a "little drink".

If alcohol was illegal right now, there'd be a guy in here who LOVED to drink making the same points you're making now. "A little wine is shown to have health benefits. Just a little buzz from alcohol makes menial jobs much more enjoyable. My tolerance level is high enough so I could have a few drinks and you wouldn't even know it."

If marijuana is made legal, it will be treated as alcohol. So you should get used to the similarities now and treat it similarly. Just as you wouldn't be respected showing up to a job with a buzz, you won't be respected showing up to a job high. You won't be allowed to drive under the influence of either. You'll be expected to enjoy it responsibly as a mind altering substance. Society isn't going to all of a sudden go "You're right, marijuana isn't harmful at all! You can be high whenever you want, high five!".
__________________

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Devious21 is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #62
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Tolerence develops with any drug. Being able to have more and function isn't a good thing. Lots of alcoholics can't funtion as well without, that's because they are alcoholics. Same goes for almost any drug. Your also restating the natural fallacy. Whether something occurs in nature has no bearing on whether it is good for you or not. Too much of anything is bad for you. Too much water can kill you.
Most plants are good for your health. Pretty much the only thing I could think of that isn't good for you is soy. Maybe sugar in large quantities.

In this case I kind of like having a little bit of a tolerance it makes it more enjoyable because its not as intense after you get used to it a little bit. Its more relaxing I guess.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #63
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
The Mad Men from the 50's would same the same thing about "a little scotch" or "a little brandy". They also had better tolerances to it, since they drank all the time and could function on it. Their jobs were "much more enjoyable" with a "little drink".

If alcohol was illegal right now, there'd be a guy in here who LOVED to drink making the same points you're making now. "A little wine is shown to have health benefits. Just a little buzz from alcohol makes menial jobs much more enjoyable. My tolerance level is high enough so I could have a few drinks and you wouldn't even know it."

If marijuana is made legal, it will be treated as alcohol. So you should get used to the similarities now and treat it similarly. Just as you wouldn't be respected showing up to a job with a buzz, you won't be respected showing up to a job high. You won't be allowed to drive under the influence of either. You'll be expected to enjoy it responsibly as a mind altering substance. Society isn't going to all of a sudden go "You're right, marijuana isn't harmful at all! You can be high whenever you want, high five!".
Well of course you need to use it responsibly thats basically what I've been saying. You are looking for the negatives too much. You are biased lol.

I believe alcohol should be illegal, but if people choose to use it that is their choice. I do not drink because I know about the health problems it causes, and also most people that drink spend alot of time by the toilet. There is proof that alcohol is harmful. With all the studies that the government has done to show marijuana is harmful they have yet to come up with any real evidence. If I found any real proof that marijuana was harmful, I would stop using it.

Also about driving, first of I'm not saying its a good idea, but there have been a few studies that show marijuana does not impair driving very much at all. Nowhere near the levels that alcohol does. It is illegal though and a risk that should not be taken. I would post a link but you would just complain that it is biased anyways. So I'm not going to waste my time looking for it. And again nobody should be driving while high, I am just saying that it doesn't impair your driving as much as alcohol would.

Last edited by bmw325i; 09-02-2013 at 01:43 PM.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #64
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,610
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Most plants are good for your health. Pretty much the only thing I could think of that isn't good for you is soy. Maybe sugar in large quantities.

In this case I kind of like having a little bit of a tolerance it makes it more enjoyable because its not as intense after you get used to it a little bit. Its more relaxing I guess.
Your really in denial. I like to drink however, I don't make the jump to thinking getting bombed is good for me. Look up toxic plants, there will be a never ending list. Almost all poisons are from natural sources? Try hemlock or rat poison? Its fine to choose to use marijuana or anything else you want. Its your body. What bugs me is the altered reality your living in where actual evidence is overruled by flawed drug enabling behavior.
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #65
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
 
Drives: 128i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

Smoking MJ on a regular basis has been proven to cause neurological changes. Receptors fire slower, memory retention, and there's evidence that it augments the parts of the brain that we think control/define personality. The problem is we know so little about the brain that it's hard to draw conclusions as to whether MJ is either bad or good. There is evidence that it causes blood vessels in the lungs to contract after long-term use but so does smoking and any pollution in general.
tranism is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #66
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Your really in denial. I like to drink however, I don't make the jump to thinking getting bombed is good for me. Look up toxic plants, there will be a never ending list. Almost all poisons are from natural sources? Try hemlock or rat poison? Its fine to choose to use marijuana or anything else you want. Its your body. What bugs me is the altered reality your living in where actual evidence is overruled by flawed drug enabling behavior.
Not in denial I just never researched toxic plants. Thanks for the info though. I'm open minded and always interested in learning something new.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST