BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Steve Thomas BMW

09-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
Germany
Rep

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Door Seals creaking assistance

The door seals creak while driving. I thought I would treat them so I used a seal product from SV and it worked for a while (about a week of dd) but it continues to come back.

I have tried different products, all working for a few days, but the creaking sounds come back. I waxed the paint inside the door jams again and again...

I have decided to deal with the sounds coming from the cup holder when my coffee cup occupies it, but the door seals are just a cacophony of noise surrounding you in the entire cabin...

HELP?
      09-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
DetailersDomain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 15 MW M3

you may want to try this product, 1z einszett Gummi Pflege

you will need to reapply though, that being said this use to be sold thru BMW dealers.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
How does sealing them reduce sound?
      09-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
fastmike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Nooooooooo!

This drove me nuts when I first got my car. It's creaking because the rubber isn't grabbing the painted door jambs.

Try cleaning all of the rubber seals and painted surfaces than contact the rubber seals. Try warm water and Dawn soap if you don't have any degreaser. I guarantee it'll be 100% better.

Gummi Pfledge works great but reserve that for the foam rubber strips that touch other foam rubber, eg.roof panel seals on the E93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
The door seals creak while driving. I thought I would treat them so I used a seal product from SV and it worked for a while (about a week of dd) but it continues to come back.

I have tried different products, all working for a few days, but the creaking sounds come back. I waxed the paint inside the door jams again and again...

I have decided to deal with the sounds coming from the cup holder when my coffee cup occupies it, but the door seals are just a cacophony of noise surrounding you in the entire cabin...

HELP?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Agreed on the Dawn treatment. And don't wax the paint inside the door jams! I have found that the creaking comes back after waxing as some wax residue seems to drive the creaking. Use the Dawn and a microfiber towel to remove the wax where the door seal makes contact...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
you may want to try this product, 1z einszett Gummi Pflege

you will need to reapply though, that being said this use to be sold thru BMW dealers.
Thats the thing, I have been using similar products and have to reapply almost weekly. Probably sooner than that they start to creak but at about a week its enough to have to reapply. On a side note, just ordered some wheel woolies from you last week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
How does sealing them reduce sound?
Not sealing them, but using a rubber seal treatment like 1z einszett Gummi Pflege or Seal Feed from Swissvax. Under the assumption that treating them and making them soft would help. It didnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
Try cleaning all of the rubber seals and painted surfaces than contact the rubber seals. Try warm water and Dawn soap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Agreed on the Dawn treatment. And don't wax the paint inside the door jams!
This is next. Again, assuming that the wax would make the area slick and reduce the creaking. Maybe the seal treatment, once dried, along with the wax just aggravated it even more... Either way, Im not going to "assume" anymore. Thanks for the ideas.
      09-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
fastmike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Trust me, I tried everything, there's a bunch of window creak threads. here's a good one with pictures from our friends at E90post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=406116&page=4

You want the door seals to "grip" the paint, which is why the seal treatment and/or wax just makes the problem worse, its harder to grip.

Try it, and be sure to report back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Thats the thing, I have been using similar products and have to reapply almost weekly. Probably sooner than that they start to creak but at about a week its enough to have to reapply. On a side note, just ordered some wheel woolies from you last week...

Not sealing them, but using a rubber seal treatment like 1z einszett Gummi Pflege or Seal Feed from Swissvax. Under the assumption that treating them and making them soft would help. It didnt.

This is next. Again, assuming that the wax would make the area slick and reduce the creaking. Maybe the seal treatment, once dried, along with the wax just aggravated it even more... Either way, Im not going to "assume" anymore. Thanks for the ideas.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Brian_Fantana
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
I had this issue and used dawn and water and seals are 100% quieter.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Krytox works worlds better than gummi and it lasts an extremely long time.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BPMSport 91 octane tune/BPMSport Feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Alcantara Wheel/Rear Fog Switch/Rattle fixes
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Update! So I followed the advice given and Im happy to report that my car is MUCH MUCH quieter! Almost creak free... Seriously. BIG difference. So lesson learned. Thanks for the info, makes my ride into work much more appealing now. (Cobblestone)