BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
View Poll Results: Which is the Best M3, ever?
E30 M3 37 7.03%
E36 M3 5 Speed Manual 13 2.47%
E36 M3 5 Speed Automatic 2 0.38%
E46 M3 6 Speed Manual 56 10.65%
E46 M3 SMG 12 2.28%
E9x M3 6 Speed Manual 178 33.84%
E9x M3 DCT 228 43.35%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #67
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
lsmkr01's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,646
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
That is what most of us drive but it's not like we don't have a choice. Anyone one of us could go out and get an E46 or E36....etc. But the E9x is the best M3 to date from a raw performance perspective. This is not the only reason people buy car though. Some buy for looks(totally subjective), some for the uniqueness, or rarity of a particular car as well.

If you put great emphasis on rarity, the E30 wins hands down, especially if you like the looks(which I do). But, for me it just does not have quite enough performance. The E36 is the least desireable IMO. The fit finish was not as good as the E46 nor was the performance. The E9x really hit the pinnacle or sweet spot for me. It really stepped it up performance-wise (look at my sig: link/quote). Though it is not as rare as the E30, there were quite a few less E9x produced than E36/46. In fact 33% less E9x's on the road than the E46 which didn't even have a sedan option. So, most impressive performance we've seen with lower production numbers. The best fit/finish and materials of any generation as well.

Like I pointed out before, there is only 14,766 manual E92's in the world. Less than the E30 total (available w/ manual only). And only 6,235 in US/CAN. This car is a total keeper!

M3 production numbers history:

Attachment 909077

Great post, thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #68
MattE92
Private First Class
3
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

BMWs only get better
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #69
M三
Private
M三's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: to work Monday - Friday
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SJC, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE92 View Post
BMWs only get better
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #70
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
M3ZCP6MT's Avatar
22
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 381 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE92 View Post
BMWs only get better
+1
__________________
.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #71
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
M3ZCP6MT's Avatar
22
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 381 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Factually proven the MT is approximately two tenths slower with professional drivers. With non professionals this gap widens significantly. MT wont help you it is factually slower.
6MT might be slower than DCT, but most people chose 6MT for the joy of old school shifting.
__________________
.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #72
M三
Private
M三's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: to work Monday - Friday
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SJC, CA

iTrader: (0)

Raced a RS5 on early Saturday morning for 6 miles and still think my M3 is better than the pretty face RS5.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #73
e92ben
Colonel
e92ben's Avatar
32
Rep
2,009
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kenosha Wi

iTrader: (4)

My m3 is obviously the best m3.
CF ROOF&6MT FTW.
Attached Images
 
__________________

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #74
Global Autosports
First Lieutenant
Global Autosports's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i F30
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: www.globalautosports.com

iTrader: (0)

2004 LS Blue Coupe, Gray Interior, 6-Speed
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #75
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Factually proven the MT is approximately two tenths slower with professional drivers. With non professionals this gap widens significantly. MT wont help you it is factually slower.
This is with the assumption that the DCT turns you automatically into a professional driver Wouldn't both track times move?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #76
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
M3ZCP6MT's Avatar
22
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 381 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
This is with the assumption that the DCT turns you automatically into a professional driver Wouldn't both track times move?
__________________
.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #77
Cool Steel
First Lieutenant
Cool Steel's Avatar
4
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: A galaxy far..far..away

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
This is with the assumption that the DCT turns you automatically into a professional driver Wouldn't both track times move?
No assumption, I never said that all drivers who own a DCT will win every race and that every individual who drives a DCT will win. You assumed that. However, there is no assumption in the fact that a DCT M3 is a factually a faster car than the MT M3.

Your argument could be that all MT drivers are technically better drivers so that the advantage of being a better driver makes up for the slower factual speed attained in the MT? However, the majority of MT drivers being better drivers can not be proved...so that's an assumption also.

What can be proved, which is my only argument and the reason I bought the DCT, is that it is the faster of the two models. I would think that anyone wanting to drive a performance car would want the fastest model available. Since, if you take two completely equal drivers (in every way) and have them race then the faster car will win....
__________________
"BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find" The Wall Street Journal
....Hell, I could have told em that.

--- M3 ZCP DCT
---->

Last edited by Cool Steel; 09-16-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #78
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

I have NO argument in this. DCT is faster SHIFTING. Will that make the same driver faster around the track? Probably, assuming one knows when to be in what gear. Will it make YOU faster than some other guy in an MT around the track? Not necessarily. And ive never said a DCT guy cant drive well. But you put all of us in that bucket automatically!

My comment was based on your comment saying "with non professionals, the gap would widen". Very different.

Who doesnt mind .2 seconds?! I go to the track to have fun, not have the fastest lap because some dude always shows up in some track monster.

Bottom line: faster car does not equal faster driver. Thats all.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #79
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
M3ZCP6MT's Avatar
22
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 381 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I have NO argument in this. DCT is faster SHIFTING. Will that make the same driver faster around the track? Probably, assuming one knows when to be in what gear. Will it make YOU faster than some other guy in an MT around the track? Not necessarily. And ive never said a DCT guy cant drive well. But you put all of us in that bucket automatically!

My comment was based on your comment saying "with non professionals, the gap would widen". Very different.

Who doesnt mind .2 seconds?! I go to the track to have fun, not have the fastest lap because some dude always shows up in some track monster.

Bottom line: faster car does not equal faster driver. Thats all.
+1
__________________
.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #80
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

MT = always fun,
DCT = not as much fun

A lot of people will automatically say that whatever they bought is better because they identify with it and want to keep appearances. For most people ego is first and the truth about what they like cannot violate ego worshiping.

This poll has little significance but I think the DCT will become obsolete because it is a 1st generation that will be improved on, while the MT is already a timeless proven standard.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #81
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Yep - this DCT vs MT is just ridiculous. If I could, I would have BOTH. I disagree when someone says, oh you got DCT because you can't handle a manual or when someone says, oh our shit is so much faster, why would you want shit technology/slower car?

Just ridiculous. Both can be fun and both can be fast. 90% of us are average joe's at best, 9% are very experienced and 1% are actual professionals out there. I doubt DCT is so much of an advantage that the 90% of us will be faster than the other 10% on here if they were to all drive manuals, or a 328i for the matter.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #82
M三
Private
M三's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: to work Monday - Friday
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SJC, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Yep - this DCT vs MT is just ridiculous. If I could, I would have BOTH. I disagree when someone says, oh you got DCT because you can't handle a manual or when someone says, oh our shit is so much faster, why would you want shit technology/slower car?

Just ridiculous. Both can be fun and both can be fast. 90% of us are average joe's at best, 9% are very experienced and 1% are actual professionals out there. I doubt DCT is so much of an advantage that the 90% of us will be faster than the other 10% on here if they were to all drive manuals, or a 328i for the matter.
Good points...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #83
Cool Steel
First Lieutenant
Cool Steel's Avatar
4
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: A galaxy far..far..away

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Yep - this DCT vs MT is just ridiculous. If I could, I would have BOTH. I disagree when someone says, oh you got DCT because you can't handle a manual or when someone says, oh our shit is so much faster, why would you want shit technology/slower car?

Just ridiculous. Both can be fun and both can be fast. 90% of us are average joe's at best, 9% are very experienced and 1% are actual professionals out there. I doubt DCT is so much of an advantage that the 90% of us will be faster than the other 10% on here if they were to all drive manuals, or a 328i for the matter.
I agree with this, this is my first DCT car and I have always driven manuals.
I will admit that a MT can be more fun to drive than a DCT. My arguments have spawned from day one on this forum MT guys crapping on DCT. However, I think both have their purpose and I too would own both. In fact I would love to own a 2013 GT500 with over 600 HP, and it only comes in manual!
__________________
"BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find" The Wall Street Journal
....Hell, I could have told em that.

--- M3 ZCP DCT
---->
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #84
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Yep - this DCT vs MT is just ridiculous. If I could, I would have BOTH. I disagree when someone says, oh you got DCT because you can't handle a manual or when someone says, oh our shit is so much faster, why would you want shit technology/slower car?

Just ridiculous. Both can be fun and both can be fast. 90% of us are average joe's at best, 9% are very experienced and 1% are actual professionals out there. I doubt DCT is so much of an advantage that the 90% of us will be faster than the other 10% on here if they were to all drive manuals, or a 328i for the matter.
I agree with this, this is my first DCT car and I have always driven manuals.
I will admit that a MT can be more fun to drive than a DCT. My arguments have spawned from day one on this forum MT guys crapping on DCT. However, I think both have their purpose and I too would own both. In fact I would love to own a 2013 GT500 with over 600 HP, and it only comes in manual!
We agree! Lol

Did you see my video? I think i shifted in S5 mode myself

Ok, maybe S4.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #85
Cool Steel
First Lieutenant
Cool Steel's Avatar
4
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: A galaxy far..far..away

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
We agree! Lol

Did you see my video? I think i shifted in S5 mode myself

Ok, maybe S4.
__________________
"BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find" The Wall Street Journal
....Hell, I could have told em that.

--- M3 ZCP DCT
---->
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #86
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
M3ZCP6MT's Avatar
22
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 381 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Well this poll is shaping up to be just like a race in real life. DCT in the lead and the MT desperately trying to keep up..
__________________
.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #87
Never Convicted
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
684
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 E92
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Let's get back on point. You're all wrong...and Cool Steel, you're wrong about 58x. The correct answer is...My M3! This is not debatable.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #88
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
PINHEAD's Avatar
Monaco
14
Rep
978
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3/997.2RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (8)

no E46 CSL no care
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST