BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Where do you get your news?
CNN 34 34.00%
BBC 28 28.00%
Le Monde Diplomatique 2 2.00%
Los Angeles Times 4 4.00%
New York Times 17 17.00%
Reuters 20 20.00%
Salon.com 5 5.00%
The Washington Post 11 11.00%
Slate Magazine 4 4.00%
World Press Review 2 2.00%
Alter.Net 2 2.00%
Wall Street Journal 21 21.00%
Barron's 3 3.00%
Al Jazeera 6 6.00%
Truthout 3 3.00%
The Nation 2 2.00%
Free Speech TV 2 2.00%
Project Censored 2 2.00%
Media Matters 2 2.00%
The Daily Howler 2 2.00%
Adbusters 2 2.00%
Center for Media and Democracy's PR Watch 2 2.00%
Fox News 40 40.00%
MSNBC 11 11.00%
Local News 18 18.00%
NPR 15 15.00%
PBS News Hour 7 7.00%
Institute for Public Accuracy 2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

Poll: Where do you get your news?

Who remembers the good ol' days when you could have dinner and watch Uncle Walter at dinner time or read the NY Times The Washington Post and WSJ and pretty well have all the news you could need? Objectivity was the stock and trade of new organizations. Yes, selecting what to report and not report certainly injects the bias of choice, but at least what was offered could be believed for the most part. It wasn't all sensationalism and news as entertainment, but I'm not so naive as to believe governments don't manipulate the relationship between their principals and those of the fourth estate.

In the fast past present of the WWW, it is now both harder and easier to get news. Objectivity, however, is important to only a few news, or so called, news organizations. I for one find MSNBC and Fox in the US to be mockeries of the term objective reporting. Both networks being essentially 24/7 versions of the Sunday morning political talk shows masquerading, for the benefit of folks who don't realize that editorial commentary is just nothing but opinions, as news.

So from where do you get your news?

Edit:
If you don't see one or more of your primary sources, just post it in a quick post.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-29-2013 at 07:39 PM.
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,173
iTrader: (0)

Poll is flawed... Doesn't have M3 Post Off Topic Forum.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
AndreyT
Captain
 
AndreyT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern California

Posts: 925
iTrader: (0)

Where are the various "news integrator" pages in this list? Most people I know get their news from Google News, and then proceed to whatever page the link leads them to. That's just how it works these days. And that makes the entire poll kinda useless. Basically, people get their news from all of these sources, as long as Google News directs them to those sources.
AndreyT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Where are the various "news integrator" pages in this list? Most people I know get their news from Google News, and then proceed to whatever page the link leads them to. That's just how it works these days. And that makes the entire poll kinda useless. Basically, people get their news from all of these sources, as long as Google News directs them to those sources.
OK...so you don't think most folks make a deliberate effort to check out specific news content providers. Okay. I have no basis for refuting that claim. I'm surprised so many folks are so willing to be led by the mouse to certain sources of information, the overwhelming majority of which are very mainstream.

I check Google's news feed, and I do read stories I find there, but I don't consider Google to be the source of my news. I know Google doesn't have a cadre of reporters and whatnot conducting independent research to bring information to me.

I also have no idea what makes one group's story appear on Google and another group's reporting of it not appear there. So I make an effort to seek information from different media outlets so that I gain some exposure to angles that might not be covered in the mainstream news. I feel personally obliged to check around a little -- not exhaustively by any means -- to see if there're might be any germane aspects to a story that the mainstream isn't addressing.

I check a variety of independent newies also to try to get a sense of what the government has "planted" for the purposes of politics and propaganda. It's fairly certain that small, independent organizations aren't going to get a tip from a high ranking "anonymous" source, whereas The Washington Post or CNN or NBC might very well get such "inside" info. For the most part, I think democratic country's governments try to do the right thing. But I'm also aware of the political imperatives they face and that they need sometimes to put something out there to buy time to get ahead of a story. Give a dog a bone and he'll chew on it for hours.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
yakuza70
Private
 
yakuza70's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

I like to get my news from a variety of sources, including but not exclusively left (MSNBC) and right leaning (Fox) sources.

At least in the U.S., I think there's a significant portion of the population that gets the majority of their news (and opinions) from talk radio.
__________________
2011 135i DCT, M Sport, Deep Sea Blue
yakuza70 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
42
240,000 Miles
 
42's Avatar
 
Drives: Moon
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Earth

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Cbs, Nbc, Abc

Where is CBS, NBC, ABC and other Internet services like Yahoo and Drudge etc? Your poll is pretty selected don't you think?
42 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Where is CBS, NBC, ABC and other Internet services like Yahoo and Drudge etc? Your poll is pretty selected don't you think?
I left those three off because I figured most Americans will tune into them at one point or another anyway and if that's one's sole or primary (75%+) news source, one isn't getting much news at all and probably doesn't care about being all that well informed. Also, the forum has members from around the world and I have yet to find ABC, CBS, and NBC appear on the telly in any country I've traveled to, though I suspect it's possible to get it one has a special media package of some sort from a cable or satellite provider. But those networks aren't showing up in most non-US hotel rooms and non-Americans won't for the most part seek them out.

To your point though, I did mean to put an "Other" option out there, but I clicked too soon, so it's not there.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Eagle1oh7
Captain
 
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

Posts: 684
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Poll is flawed... Doesn't have M3 Post Off Topic Forum.
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, Rieger Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, MMW Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Eagle1oh7 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

Good Lord!!! Over half the folks who responded get their news from decidedly biased news organizations that make no effort to present an objective picture of events.

That's a damn shame.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,157
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Good Lord!!! Over half the folks who responded get their news from decidedly biased news organizations that make no effort to present an objective picture of events.

That's a damn shame.
You can vote for more than one option. So most likely some of the 9 people who voted for Fox News also voted for CNN and other sources.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Good Lord!!! Over half the folks who responded get their news from decidedly biased news organizations that make no effort to present an objective picture of events.

That's a damn shame.
You can vote for more than one option. So most likely some of the 9 people who voted for Fox News also voted for CNN and other sources.
I think he meant that MSNBC, CNN, and HNN were the biased ones. But no one watches those networks, so it doesn't matter.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
bbbbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,157
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I think he meant that MSNBC, CNN, and HNN were the biased ones. But no one watches those networks, so it doesn't matter.
If you think those 3 are the only biased ones, I have beach front property in Kansas I am selling.....

And even if that was the case, again they may have voted for Fox News as well. No one knows.

And I forgot he was the OP so of course he would know people can vote for multiple sources.....
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I think he meant that MSNBC, CNN, and HNN were the biased ones. But no one watches those networks, so it doesn't matter.
Actually, MSNBC and Fox are the two that surprised me most. As far as I can tell, they are cut from the left and right sides of the same cloth.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
M3Denver
Lieutenant
 
M3Denver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver CO

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Fox, al jizera, abc, bbc, rt.
M3Denver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

This is why I really detest Fox. There really is just no limit to how far they will go to push a political agenda. Even MSNBC doesn't tip the scales as much and it's hardly an unbiased news network, but at least their retractions have not been related to political stories and opinion.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2852302.story
http://mediamatters.org/research/200...alse-in/157273

I know every news organization has at some time had to retract, but it sure seems a way of life at Fox. I'm not just talking about being duped by a hoax or selectively choosing to push a story that is from a dubious source, I'm talking about outright making stuff up, and for political purpose. It's one thing to just be wrong when citing some fact about a non-political topic. Mistakes happen to everyone in that regard.

CNN mistakenly reported that an arrest was made in the Boston bomber case when it had not. That clearly has a different impact than making false, almost libelous claims about a political figure. CNN did report once that there is a link between hormones and elections, but that still doesn't strike me as being on the same level of egregiousness.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
This is why I really detest Fox. There really is just no limit to how far they will go to push a political agenda. Even MSNBC doesn't tip the scales as much and it's hardly an unbiased news network, but at least their retractions have not been related to political stories and opinion.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2852302.story
http://mediamatters.org/research/200...alse-in/157273

I know every news organization has at some time had to retract, but it sure seems a way of life at Fox. I'm not just talking about being duped by a hoax or selectively choosing to push a story that is from a dubious source, I'm talking about outright making stuff up, and for political purpose. It's one thing to just be wrong when citing some fact about a non-political topic. Mistakes happen to everyone in that regard.

CNN mistakenly reported that an arrest was made in the Boston bomber case when it had not. That clearly has a different impact than making false, almost libelous claims about a political figure. CNN did report once that there is a link between hormones and elections, but that still doesn't strike me as being on the same level of egregiousness.
So I guess you missed:

-Candy Crowley of CNN clearly manipulating the Presidential debates,
-Dan Rather lying about Bush's war record,
-NBC editing the Trayvon Martin 911 call, to make Zimmerman look like a racist, and ABC manipulating the photos in the case to make Trayvon look like a child and Zimmerman like a thug,
-MSNBC editing Joe Biden's comments to endorse gun control,
-Bob Costas using the ESPN bully pulpit to promote gun control and try to rename the Redskins,
-MSNBC's Year of Apologies: http://www.mediaite.com/online/msnbc...ies-continues/,
-Chris Matthews and that "thrill up his leg" thing,
-MSNBC incorrectly blaming the Washington shooting on an "AR-15."

And those are just the ones that come to top of mind.

In 2010, Media Matters declared a "war on Fox News." I would not look to them as an independent critic of media bias.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>

Last edited by bbbbmw; 10-16-2013 at 12:04 AM.
bbbbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #17
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

Some of those I did miss. Of the ones you listed, how many are pure fabrications of an event that simply didn't happen, and while being fabrications, also have a clearly politically inflamatory purpose? What else could it be? You'll recall:
"President Obama has offered to pay out of his own pocket for the museum of Muslim culture," Kooiman claimed, contrasting his (supposed) decision with that of the Republican National Committee, which has offered to pay to keep the World War II Memorial open using its own coffers."
It's not as though the conservatives in politics haven't long tried to associate Obama with radical Muslims and the sole driver (one hopes) for that ploy is the fact that the man's name isn't something most Americans are used to hearing , like John Smith, or any other Anglo/European sort of name.

I'm not looking to Media Mattes as a critic. But it cannot be overlooked that just about every single thing they cited is a political retraction, and what's not directly political, panders to the basest of issues that divide people in the nation.

As I said before, I know every news organization will screw up here and there. What's surprising, and disturbing, is that Fox only seems to do it with politics and issues that divide people. In and of themselves, sure, they are just mistakes like any other. But the fact is that mistakes of the sort Fox makes, repeatedly, are the kind that have their effect and do the damage they are meant to do regardless of whether/when they are later recanted. Far fewer folks see the retraction than saw the original misrepresentation.

I don't want to go over every item you listed, but to illustrate the distinction I'm making regarding the types of gaffes:
  • Regarding Ms. Crowley, even a WSJ columnist admits that Crowley was played. I think that about says it. I wouldn't blame either candidate for having seen an opportunity and using it. That's what they are there for, after all.
  • Chris Matthews "thrill" says more about him than anyone or anything else. Sure something he shouldn't have said, but only because of the imagery it conjures, not because it misrepresents another person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
So I guess you missed:

-Candy Crowley of CNN clearly manipulating the Presidential debates,
-Dan Rather lying about Bush's war record,
-NBC editing the Trayvon Martin 911 call, to make Zimmerman look like a racist, and ABC manipulating the photos in the case to make Trayvon look like a child and Zimmerman like a thug,
-MSNBC editing Joe Biden's comments to endorse gun control,
-Bob Costas using the ESPN bully pulpit to promote gun control and try to rename the Redskins,
-MSNBC's Year of Apologies: http://www.mediaite.com/online/msnbc...ies-continues/,
-Chris Matthews and that "thrill up his leg" thing,
-MSNBC incorrectly blaming the Washington shooting on an "AR-15."

And those are just the ones that come to top of mind.

In 2010, Media Matters declared a "war on Fox News." I would not look to them as an independent critic of media bias.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Some of those I did miss. Of the ones you listed, how many are pure fabrications of an event that simply didn't happen, and while being fabrications, also have a clearly politically inflamatory purpose? What else could it be? You'll recall:
"President Obama has offered to pay out of his own pocket for the museum of Muslim culture," Kooiman claimed, contrasting his (supposed) decision with that of the Republican National Committee, which has offered to pay to keep the World War II Memorial open using its own coffers."
It's not as though the conservatives in politics haven't long tried to associate Obama with radical Muslims and the sole driver (one hopes) for that ploy is the fact that the man's name isn't something most Americans are used to hearing , like John Smith, or any other Anglo/European sort of name.

I'm not looking to Media Mattes as a critic. But it cannot be overlooked that just about every single thing they cited is a political retraction, and what's not directly political, panders to the basest of issues that divide people in the nation.

As I said before, I know every news organization will screw up here and there. What's surprising, and disturbing, is that Fox only seems to do it with politics and issues that divide people. In and of themselves, sure, they are just mistakes like any other. But the fact is that mistakes of the sort Fox makes, repeatedly, are the kind that have their effect and do the damage they are meant to do regardless of whether/when they are later recanted. Far fewer folks see the retraction than saw the original misrepresentation.

I don't want to go over every item you listed, but to illustrate the distinction I'm making regarding the types of gaffes:
  • Regarding Ms. Crowley, even a WSJ columnist admits that Crowley was played. I think that about says it. I wouldn't blame either candidate for having seen an opportunity and using it. That's what they are there for, after all.
  • Chris Matthews "thrill" says more about him than anyone or anything else. Sure something he shouldn't have said, but only because of the imagery it conjures, not because it misrepresents another person.
Sorry, but you are hair-splitting. Whether they are fabrications, or trying to manipulate any given situation (not letting a "good crisis go to waste"), it makes no difference.

And Candy Crowley was clearly NOT played - she manipulated the sessions.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
bbbbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Sorry, but you are hair-splitting. Whether they are fabrications, or trying to manipulate any given situation (not letting a "good crisis go to waste"), it makes no difference.

And Candy Crowley was clearly NOT played - she manipulated the sessions.
No, I'm not splitting hairs, unless that phrase to you means that the world is black or white and there is no such thing as more or less egregious sins.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
All I will say is that I love my AR-15 shotgun.

__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
kscarrol
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
All I will say is that I love my AR-15 shotgun.

__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
kscarrol is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #22
PascalsWager
Cognitive
 
Drives: '06 330i TiAg
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: OBX, NC

Posts: 230
iTrader: (0)

The Associated Press and Reuters are really all that remains of inverted pyramid, classic journalistic writing with the facts up top and supporting quotes below.

Of course, they are paid wire services used by the majority of major media outlets.

But remember your Plato and his parable of the shadow of a fire on the wall of a cave: everything we read is through someone else's lens, which is an inherent bias by definition.
PascalsWager is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST