BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

OneEighty

08-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
andeee05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 m3

got beat up this weekend

Summary: I got beat up at gaslamp for my food by two guys who just wanted to pick on someone half their size. The police officers convinced me not to press charges but nearly 48 hours later and now my body is in pain and hurting all over. My friend has cuts and bruises everywhere including his head/face. I have one bump on my head and a couple of bruises but can barely turn my head because my neck hurts and my back hurts.

Long Version: hey everyone, this past weekend i went to gaslamp san diego with a couple of friends. Near the end of the night I stopped by one of the pizza spots and got an entire pizza for a couple of us since we left a bit early and the rest of the guys still wanted to continue their night. I was waiting outside of a 7-eleven for my friend on 5th and market i believe when this black guy and hispanic guy approached me after being denied some pizza by the guy next to me.

They asked me for a slice of pizza or if they could purchase a slice of pizza off of me and I politely answered sorry man, i have a couple of my friends coming and its for them as well. My friend next to me who is (5 ft 3) says the same thing. This black guy who is 6 ft 4 if not taller and 250 lbsif not heavier ((if you've watched the blindside thats his size) with his hispanic friend snatches the taquitos in my friends hands as he was eating it and starts to eat it. my friend goes "what the heck man" and whaaaaaam! this guy just punches him. The two of them punch us for a bit then walk away, then the hispanic guy comes back and the two of them start punching us again. Again they walk away but come right back and at this point people around us jump in between us but they would not stop until we were both on the ground. Mind you I'm just 5 ft 9'' 150 lbs and the hispanic guy was my size. The african american outsized us both. Pretty much they just took our food and beat us down. Each time they came at us we told them we don't want any trouble they have already taken our food and we don't want to fight and we'll just walk away. All of this happened in front of hundreds of people

After we were down on the ground they took off running and I got back up and ran after them and waved down 4 officers on their bikes. they cuffed him. After going back and forth with the officers they convinced me not to press charges. I even asked the officers if they would allow me to call my attorney to see what is the best option. They said its not worth it to call your attorney, you'll just be pissing them off. They convinced me pressing charges would just waste my time and nothing would happen to him. WTF WAS I THINKING! I'm still in so much pain. My back hurts and my neck hurts today and my friend has cuts and bruises all over his face. I was thinking of pressing charges but don't know what other options i have.

I plan on making some calls tomorrow since I have not had time today. Please give me some advice. My body is aching. I'm also very upset with the SD police department in how they convinced me to let this guy go and they did not want to wait around for me to think about it and they needed a decision immediately.

OR IF ANYONE HAS VIDEO OF IT PLEASE DIRECT ME TO IT. I KNOW THAT WHEN I GOT TO MY FEET AND CHASED THEM A COUPLE OF PEOPLE HAD THEIR PHONES OUT AND WERE TAPING IT.

Last edited by andeee05; 08-27-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

sounds like BS on the cops part.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Sucks. Sometimes you gotta fight back no matter what the consequence. Throw a chair or something. Take the smaller guy down first then tag team the bigger guy.

Press charges if you want on the spot. These are some lazy ass cops who just want to hang out at the gaslamp.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
slicer
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '13 E92 M3

That sucks I'm sorry to hear that happened
      08-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Dude, 2 words: Concealed Carry. I'm not sure what CA's laws are on the subject of self-defense, but if that happened to me here in FL -- that dude would have ended up becoming the next Trayvon.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

The cops telling you not to press charges is also highly suspect. Were they minorities too? I would have demanded charges be filed, and probably tried to sue those two idiots even if they had no money to pay it. I'd be garnishing their paychecks for the rest of their lives. As the saying goes 'fucking punks...'
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Dude, 2 words: Concealed Carry. I'm not sure what CA's laws
CCW license is damn near impossible to get here in CA now, it was a tad bit easier yeeears ago but not no more... This is why I hate the bar scene, few of my friends got stabbed several months back that originally broke out in a brawl. Typically when I "go out" I carry a blade with me at all times cause there are a ton of d*ckheads and with the influence of alcohol they become even more rowdy.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
DFDubM
Private
Rep

Drives: 2010 e92, DCT, Red on Black

I'm a big fan of concealed carry permits but if you don't want to go to that level I would highly recommend a good, tactical self defense class. Isn't a gigantic time commitment and, if you have a good instructor, they can show you how to take down the biggest of drunk douchebags with ease. Not beat the crap out of them, unless you so desire, but rendering them a non-threat with very little, but decisive and effective actions. Take your wife/girlfriend too. They will love feeling safer and the confidence that comes with knowing you can fight back.

Search Youtube and there are plenty of good, and very bad, examples of techniques in dealing with such situations.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
KwlAznKid
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE
Location: LA/Irvine/Fremont, CA/ University of California San Diego Alum

wtf gaslamp was my old stomping grounds back in college, never had trouble there before, I suggest you contacting a lawyer and perhaps trying to figure out why the cops were so against you pressing charges, i'm sure they have a police report of what happened so you can figure out the cop's names if needed. keep us posted man.. that sucks
      08-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

would pursue this a little more like others have said. and like i suggested the cops behaviour wasnt much better than the guy kicking your ass.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

Sorry to hear man. Typical USELESS cop behavior. But what would pressing charges actually do but make these losers lives a bit more inconvenienced? A. They have no net worth to even pay you anything for your pain and suffering, B. you'd just end up collecting nothing, and potentially wasting time and money.

As much as I despise policemen, they weren't totally wrong in their assessment of the situation. Again, sorry to hear that happened. Just avoid sketchy places like 7-11 at all costs, especially at night. It will minimize the chances of you running into intoxicated derelicts.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post

As much as I despise policemen, they weren't totally wrong in their assessment of the situation.
Agreed... In that situation I would have asked to speak to a staff sergeant in charge, entry level officers won't do anything... But bear in mind officers probably deal with drunken brawls all the time, I've been to Gas Lamp numerous times myself and almost every visit I've witnessed a fight.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Sorry to hear man. Typical USELESS cop behavior. But what would pressing charges actually do but make these losers lives a bit more inconvenienced? A. They have no net worth to even pay you anything for your pain and suffering, B. you'd just end up collecting nothing, and potentially wasting time and money.

As much as I despise policemen, they weren't totally wrong in their assessment of the situation. Again, sorry to hear that happened. Just avoid sketchy places like 7-11 at all costs, especially at night. It will minimize the chances of you running into intoxicated derelicts.
+1 on the avoidance. That's often the best way to stay out of trouble. I may be well-prepared to deal with an assault, but at the same time I'm rarely in a position to need it. We're M3 drivers, we can afford to stay away from the riff-raff.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubM View Post
I'm a big fan of concealed carry permits but if you don't want to go to that level I would highly recommend a good, tactical self defense class. Isn't a gigantic time commitment and, if you have a good instructor, they can show you how to take down the biggest of drunk douchebags with ease. Not beat the crap out of them, unless you so desire, but rendering them a non-threat with very little, but decisive and effective actions. Take your wife/girlfriend too. They will love feeling safer and the confidence that comes with knowing you can fight back.

Search Youtube and there are plenty of good, and very bad, examples of techniques in dealing with such situations.
+1 on this. I recommend Krav Maga classes if you can find them. They're a little over the top in terms of damage done to your opponent, but if you want some of the most *effective* self-defense training, I'd give it a look.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
Rep

Drives: when at all possible

That sucks, man. Texas and CCL FTW.

Not stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 2011 DY E90 M3

CCW in CA?

WE ALL WISH BRO...

WE... ALL... WISH...

Always carry a knife.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
andeee05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies, I am signing up for Krav Maga today. As for pressing charges I can still do so but it would take time for me to drive down to San Diego everytime I am needed, so I am still deciding. I also have an incident report from Saturday night. That would take time out of my work as well as cost to drive down there since I live in downtown Los Angeles (2 hour drive)It just upsets me that I feel like there is nothing that I can do. What's worse is the past two days when I walk around downtown I constantly look over my shoulders.

Last edited by andeee05; 08-27-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
petener999
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: e65 750i, E46 M3

Did you at least get the officer names and badged numbers?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
andeee05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petener999 View Post
Did you at least get the officer names and badged numbers?
yes, i have it.
      08-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
elim11
Captain
Rep

Drives: e90m3

+1 on Krav. Not only is it good exercise, it is quite practical.
I have been doing it for about 1 yr. Love it. Be careful out there, world is full of crazies.

I train at 360 Krav (they have several locations, including LA) PM if you want more details.
      08-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
Da Hapa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

First, I'm really sorry to read this. Nobody should have to endure that experience.

Second, I think a follow up phone call to the police, especially if you have the officer's names, etc. can't hurt. I'm not an attorney and can't begin to give you legal advice but I would think that's where you should start.

Third, I mean no disrespect to anyone here but... I think you're getting some bad advice here mixed with some good advice. Self defense is always a good idea and I would never tell anyone to not pursue training. But it isn't an end all/be all solution. There's always going to be someone bigger, someone stronger, someone faster, or someone who is hgh on meth and no matter what you do, won't go down. Your best course of action and advice that every good martial artist I've ever met shared, is to avoid a fight if at all possible. Training will help if you get to that point, but good training helps you never get there. That being said, the martial arts are excellent for your body, your mind, and your general well being so there's no downside (other than time and $) to pursuing an art. Just don't expect a few hours a week of training to turn you into the crap you see on the movies.

I don't advise you to begin carrying a concealed weapon (unless you have a permit in CA... good luck with that). The chances of you experiencing this ever again in your life are very, very small unless you go looking for trouble. Unless you really know what you're doing with a knife or gun, you're likely to end up in more trouble than it's worth and I personally think (again no offense intended) that a lot of people who carry end up with a false sense of security and/or bravado.

Ask yourself this, had you pulled a knife would that have stopped your attackers? If not, would your killing one or both of them feel ok with you vs. feeling the aches and pain you feel today? Only you can answer those questions. I firmly believe you have the right, and should, protect yourself and your loved ones and there are times when a gun or knife might be called for. Is this one? Only you can answer that.

Finally, I hope you feel better soon and find some resolution.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
metro44m3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Pigs just didnt want to get their asses beaten by John Coffey from The Green Mile either

Appreciate 0