BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #23
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,375
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
A bunch of us will drive down this fall. They just started pushing dirt this week for a large addition to the west. They hope to be done early 2014........I will have to head back down for to try out the new track!!
cool im still looking for trailer. featherlights seem little pricey we will see if i sort that out by spring.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #24
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
PCA Golden Gate chapter has a 2-day HPDE event at TH this Saturday and Sunday. I'm gonna be up there with my new 18s and NT01s.
PCA GGC drivers are a bunch of pansies based on my experience at their 3 day laguna seca event last year. I was in the intermediate group and almost every porsche on the track was driving miss daisy. I asked if I could move up to the advanced group because they weren't giving point-by's and they just told me I was fine where I was. By the 3rd day there were lots of complaints that the BMW's were driving "way too aggressively" which wasn't the case at all. They just had a bunch of beginner drivers in the intermediate group. They don't seem to like other makes running in their club. It was a very strange event.

Edit: Obviously I'm still pretty bitter about that event and I'm sure there are probably a lot of very fast drivers there, but sticking beginner drivers in an intermediate group and saying our pace is too fast (while not letting us move up) doesn't leave the best impression.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,375
iTrader: (5)

im not a fan of any of those including BMWCCA. low amount of track time. overly cautious instructors.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #26
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
im not a fan of any of those including BMWCCA. low amount of track time. overly cautious instructors.
Yea great for instruction though. Its worth nothing that our group was without instructors. Just a point-by group.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #27
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,375
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Yea great for instruction though. Its worth nothing that our group was without instructors. Just a point-by group.
i thought the instructors were poor as well compared to the guys i was used to.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #28
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,818
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
If that were the case I wouldn't be passing MP4-12C's and a few GTR's left and right. It is a very straight forward track, but there are still tough corners to go fast through. You just have a lot of breathing room in between.


Which corner(s) do you find the trickiest?
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #29
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post


Which corner(s) do you find the trickiest?
All the fast ones and the cork screw.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #30
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,818
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
All the fast ones and the cork screw.
I was expecting to hear T9... Isn't that where Wayne Rainey died?
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #31
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I was expecting to hear T9... Isn't that where Wayne Rainey died?
I've actually got 9 down pretty good. Love that corner. 6 and 8 scare me the most. I'm pretty slow in those because of fear. And I know I can go faster in 3 and 4 but haven't gotten my entry down yet.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #32
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,818
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've actually got 9 down pretty good. Love that corner. 6 and 8 scare me the most. I'm pretty slow in those because of fear. And I know I can go faster in 3 and 4 but haven't gotten my entry down yet.
Cool (T9).

I've run there only once, but I recall T6 as being pretty straightforward? A tight, near-90 degree turn...
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #33
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Cool (T9).

I've run there only once, but I recall T6 as being pretty straightforward? A tight, near-90 degree turn...
It's a fast corner with camber in your favor..and a wall right on the inside track. I've seen lots of cars oversteer right into it. I just know I'm going much slower than I could be through there. Most people in my run groups seem to go slow through there as well.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #34
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,818
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
It's a fast corner with camber in your favor..
Yeah


Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
and a wall right on the inside track. I've seen lots of cars oversteer right into it.
Ahhh. That's ("oversteer right into it") after they drop a wheel or two on the outside part of the track, yeah?
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #35
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Yeah




Ahhh. That's ("oversteer right into it") after they drop a wheel or two on the outside part of the track, yeah?
Yea. I've had to correct steering a few times on the exit of that corner. Always a little nerve racking.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #36
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,818
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Yea. I've had to correct steering a few times on the exit of that corner. Always a little nerve racking.
Not sure why. You have good car control.

Cars that run into the inside wall are hook-spinning* by, once they drop a wheel or two on the outside, they stay on the throttle and desperately swing the steering wheel left to get back onto the track. And, when the car does, it finds grip and launches to the inside wall.

It'd be better to either ride it out and gently get back on the track, or stay on the throttle and counter-steer into the slide until the trajectory of the car comes back onto the track, then straighten out.

Anyhow, I viewed your video from March just now and you're nailing T6. If anything, T5 is much faster (but, there's more run-off to the right )...


*(Credit: borrowed some lingos/phrases from Billy Johnson's article on motoiq.com)
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #37
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

Posts: 855
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
PCA GGC drivers are a bunch of pansies based on my experience at their 3 day laguna seca event last year. I was in the intermediate group and almost every porsche on the track was driving miss daisy. I asked if I could move up to the advanced group because they weren't giving point-by's and they just told me I was fine where I was. By the 3rd day there were lots of complaints that the BMW's were driving "way too aggressively" which wasn't the case at all. They just had a bunch of beginner drivers in the intermediate group. They don't seem to like other makes running in their club. It was a very strange event.

Edit: Obviously I'm still pretty bitter about that event and I'm sure there are probably a lot of very fast drivers there, but sticking beginner drivers in an intermediate group and saying our pace is too fast (while not letting us move up) doesn't leave the best impression.
That's really interesting...I ran with them back in May at Buttonwillow and found them to be faster than guys in the BMW CCA groups. But I can see how some of them don't do point-bys because of the egos of having an expensive car. You should have just registered in the advanced group as it's not easy to move up groups in PCA events.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
That's really interesting...I ran with them back in May at Buttonwillow and found them to be faster than guys in the BMW CCA groups. But I can see how some of them don't do point-bys because of the egos of having an expensive car. You should have just registered in the advanced group as it's not easy to move up groups in PCA events.
BMWCCA tends to run at a slow page as well. I've done open passing a few times and it's hit or miss for me. I had guys get their front wheels near my back wheels on the inside entry of turn 1 at thunderhill preparing to pass me but looked as if they might get side by side through it. Totally threw me off my line and I went off into the dirt. Just not quite comfortable with really impatient time trial guys who need to get 1 foot away from my car on a corner entry. I tend to stay in point by groups so there's a bigger chance of me driving my car home at the end of the day.

I think it just proves that I'm not ready nor am I an advanced driver.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #39
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

Posts: 855
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
BMWCCA tends to run at a slow page as well. I've done open passing a few times and it's hit or miss for me. I had guys get their front wheels near my back wheels on the inside entry of turn 1 at thunderhill preparing to pass me but looked as if they might get side by side through it. Totally threw me off my line and I went off into the dirt. Just not quite comfortable with really impatient time trial guys who need to get 1 foot away from my car on a corner entry. I tend to stay in point by groups so there's a bigger chance of me driving my car home at the end of the day.

I think it just proves that I'm not ready nor am I an advanced driver.
You know, even when I'm ready for the advanced group I will probably stick around in the highest intermediate group where point-bys are required. I'm not a give fan of open passing as all it takes it that one guy who thinks he's racing for money/pride/whatever to cause some serious damage. I'm a mid-intermediate level now and when I do polish my skills more then I'll take a step back in terms of speed and turn off traction/stability control and really learn how to drive the car.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #40
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've actually got 9 down pretty good. Love that corner. 6 and 8 scare me the most. I'm pretty slow in those because of fear. And I know I can go faster in 3 and 4 but haven't gotten my entry down yet.
I hate turn 9. It throws you outward and feels like you're going to go off. I always slow down in that section.

Here is me hanging on T8a in 2001. 2nd time at Laguna back then.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #41
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

Posts: 855
iTrader: (2)

So this was my first time out at Thunderhill as well as on 18s with NT01s. First session I was just getting comfortable with the track, especially turns 5 and 9. My PCA instructor timed me on my final 5th session of the day when it was 98 degrees and I ran a 2:12 with only a little traffic (in the student group). I got signed off to the intermediate group so I'm hoping to run a 2:10 or lower in the morning sessions driving solo tomorrow. As for the NT01s....WOW, talk about grip for hours. I went in too hot into turn 11 and 14 a few times and the instructor hold me the NT01s came in handy.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #42
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

Posts: 855
iTrader: (2)

Ran a 2:09 in my first session. I recorded my session on my Iphone via Harry's Track map but how do you dump the video onto a PC?
USCTrojanMan29 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #43
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,828
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Nice! Bypass or Cyclone?
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #44
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

Posts: 855
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Nice! Bypass or Cyclone?
We had the Cyclone configuration...here's the video from my fastest lap on Sunday (2:08.5). I still need to work on finding the right placement for the Iphone.

USCTrojanMan29 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST