BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #243
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So is there anything other than the Macan in that price range? would I completely regret this plan? Anyone think I'm a financial moron for going with a cheaper car for 6-7 months? My wife makes fun of me for changing cars every 2-3 years but I just can't find what suits me best. I sincerely hope the Macan may be the answer.

Our dealer here wants $1500 deposit to get on the list and 10% upon start of production. Seems a bit crazy but Seattle is a different market. They expect first deliveries in April.
Audi SQ5 is probably the direct competitor to the Macan S right now in that price range (same base price).

Holy hell! I expect the $1500 deposit, but 10% down for production start (5-8k). Is that normal for Porsches?
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #244
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The current X1, which of course is rwd. Scott has dropped hints that there might be a late run of M's based on this generation, similar to the way they did the 1M Coupe But thanks for playing, now back to your Lexus cave.
X1 M based on E84 was cancelled, just as the Z4 M and Z4 M35i E89. BMW now has the M235i and will have the M3/M4 as sports car choice, Z4 E89 will stay as is till replacement.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #245
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,671
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Why is it obnoxious to swap cars for the weekend? I understand being an outdoors guy but do you need an SUV every single weekend?

I do like the Macan a lot though. Just not sure I'd want to go to a 2 CUV garage personally. But my lifestyle is totally different, the M3 is perfect for me.
I do more on weekdays than weekends and we both drive to work. Otherwise yeah I totally agree with you.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #246
solstice
Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,049
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Audi SQ5 is probably the direct competitor to the Macan S right now in that price range (same base price).

Holy hell! I expect the $1500 deposit, but 10% down for production start (5-8k). Is that normal for Porsches?
Transfer, Barrier has a beautiful Estoril blue ( Audi's version ) SQ5 with 21", B&O, Panorama roof, CF trim, Black leather etc for $59k msrp. If you or your wife works for the evil empire you get 6% off without negotiating. I haven't driven it but it seems like somethign for you to have a look at. Personally I don't like Audi's current styling with the huge obnoxius blingy grill and rather plain/generic side and rear profile but that's all subjective.
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #247
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,671
iTrader: (0)

Solstice thanks for the heads up. I'm going over to Barrier Porsche today or tomorrow to discuss options so maybe I'll try to get a test drive in the SQ5. I've looked long and hard at it and I'm not wild about the styling, transmission, and lack of adjustable suspension but it truly is the only other option out there.

I'd also be afraid the fun to drive factor would be lost with the SQ5 compared to the M3. Macan should be a different story.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #248
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Brucewonder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,543
iTrader: (4)

im in the market for a small SUV. leaning towards a Subaru Forester 2.0XT and save up for a 911GT3 when prices come down in the future. The new Macan is sexy as hell tho
__________________
2011.5 E92 ///M3 SSII/FR
Brucewonder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #249
solstice
Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,049
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Solstice thanks for the heads up. I'm going over to Barrier Porsche today or tomorrow to discuss options so maybe I'll try to get a test drive in the SQ5. I've looked long and hard at it and I'm not wild about the styling, transmission, and lack of adjustable suspension but it truly is the only other option out there.

I'd also be afraid the fun to drive factor would be lost with the SQ5 compared to the M3. Macan should be a different story.
Yes, the Macan should be the sportier option and it also looks a lot better judging from the pictures. I've heard good about the SQ5's road manners though other than that it supposedly have the same overboosted numb steering as in other Audis. Good Luck!
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #250
gonzo
Brigadier General
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

Posts: 4,980
iTrader: (0)

They have been out long enough to see some dissatisfied drivers getting out.
To myself it shines as a positive for the Audi.
Autotrader shows one used for sale in the US.
gonzo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #251
HuskerFan85
Private
 
Drives: clk320/Elise-SOLD :(
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Grand Rapids

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
The Macan photos just look like they put a giant man in a Cayenne.
HuskerFan85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #252
JButtonMCL
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Standard PASM, bose, adaptive leather sport seats, PCM (nav), aluminum trim, larger brakes.
Thanks!
JButtonMCL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #253
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,433
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Audi SQ5 is probably the direct competitor to the Macan S right now in that price range (same base price).

Holy hell! I expect the $1500 deposit, but 10% down for production start (5-8k). Is that normal for Porsches?



Thats crazy. Go to another dealer.
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #254
Blipit_
Captain
 
Drives: E90M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Transfer, Barrier has a beautiful Estoril blue ( Audi's version ) SQ5 with 21", B&O, Panorama roof, CF trim, Black leather etc for $59k msrp. If you or your wife works for the evil empire you get 6% off without negotiating. I haven't driven it but it seems like somethign for you to have a look at. Personally I don't like Audi's current styling with the huge obnoxius blingy grill and rather plain/generic side and rear profile but that's all subjective.
If you are member of the Audi Owners Club, you can get the same 6% off, plus any other discounts(Loyalty, Owner Acquisition). So basically guaranteed under invoice before you even walk into the dealership.
Blipit_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #255
Blipit_
Captain
 
Drives: E90M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Solstice thanks for the heads up. I'm going over to Barrier Porsche today or tomorrow to discuss options so maybe I'll try to get a test drive in the SQ5. I've looked long and hard at it and I'm not wild about the styling, transmission, and lack of adjustable suspension but it truly is the only other option out there.

I'd also be afraid the fun to drive factor would be lost with the SQ5 compared to the M3. Macan should be a different story.
My buddy just got an SQ5, I actually like it. Interior is way nicer than my M3. Think of it as a lifted S4, if you have driven one of those. Handles better than any other suv I have driven, feels tight (suspension is firm even in comfort). The 8speed has nice throttle blips in dynamic mode.
Blipit_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #256
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
"I wanted to correct what I said about our Macan allocations. Our first one will in fact be a Macan S march production, our second Macan S will be an April production, and our Macan Turbo is slated to be a May production. The first one we get will be our "launch vehicle" that we will use as a demo and for our launch party (don't know when that is yet)."
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #257
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,207
iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, don't forget the ultimate driving machine, X3 xDrive35i and up-coming X4 xDrive35i so as up-coming X3 M and X4 M powered by S55. No love for BMW's? Porsche is the better badge?
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #258
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Hey guys, don't forget the ultimate driving machine, X3 xDrive35i and up-coming X4 xDrive35i so as up-coming X3 M and X4 M powered by S55. No love for BMW's? Porsche is the better badge?
These aren't even in the same class.

And as for M models, there are zero plans and were actually discredited by BMW product execs.

If they do, they'll show up a day late and a dollar short. Only thing close right now to the Macan is the SQ5.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #259
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
These aren't even in the same class.

And as for M models, there are zero plans and were actually discredited by BMW product execs.

If they do, they'll show up a day late and a dollar short. Only thing close right now to the Macan is the SQ5.
X4 xDrive35i is in the same class as Macan S. You could add BMW ALPINA XD3.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #260
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,671
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up SQ5!

I went to the Porsche dealer yesterday and I drove an X3 xDrive35i M-sport today as well as an SQ5. With my M3 lease ending in January, I'm trying to figure this all out. The Macan is just not going to work for me at this time though.
Some official Macan S info I was given that I'm not sure is easily available:

HP max 5500-6500 RPM but I don't know the redline
TQ max 1450-5000 RPM
Wheels 19x8 235/55 front and 19x9 255/50 rear
Curb weight 4112 lbs
0-60mph is 5.2s or 5.0s with sport chrono launch control
Split folding rear seats 40/20/40
Luggage volume 17.7 cu ft seats up or 53.0 cu ft seats folded
Packages are new and now up on config site

So about those test drives. The X3 was boring as hell and that really surprised me. The steering felt good, ride was nice, throttle was fairly responsive but it just felt fat and tired for power.

Now the SQ5... that was a different story. This thing is excellent fun for what it is. Throttle is nice, torque is fantastic and instant, overall acceleration felt very speedy, and the ride even on 21" wheels was stiff but comfortable. Handling was nice but there was some understeer as I expected but that's why you don't rail an SUV through a corner. I was surprised that the steering was acceptable as well. It was fairly light but accurate and the steering wheel is small(ish) and racy. The engine/exhaust noise is great. Seats were great but no adjustable bolsters and they were a little wide but did the trick.

I worked out some numbers and while I may go for a Macan in the future, not for several years. I think there is a high likelihood I will pick up an SQ5 and it should cost me just under $60k. I was seriously surprised how good it was.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #261
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I went to the Porsche dealer yesterday and I drove an X3 xDrive35i M-sport today as well as an SQ5. With my M3 lease ending in January, I'm trying to figure this all out. The Macan is just not going to work for me at this time though.
Some official Macan S info I was given that I'm not sure is easily available:

HP max 5500-6500 RPM but I don't know the redline
TQ max 1450-5000 RPM
Wheels 19x8 235/55 front and 19x9 255/50 rear
Curb weight 4112 lbs
0-60mph is 5.2s or 5.0s with sport chrono launch control
Split folding rear seats 40/20/40
Luggage volume 17.7 cu ft seats up or 53.0 cu ft seats folded
Packages are new and now up on config site

So about those test drives. The X3 was boring as hell and that really surprised me. The steering felt good, ride was nice, throttle was fairly responsive but it just felt fat and tired for power.

Now the SQ5... that was a different story. This thing is excellent fun for what it is. Throttle is nice, torque is fantastic and instant, overall acceleration felt very speedy, and the ride even on 21" wheels was stiff but comfortable. Handling was nice but there was some understeer as I expected but that's why you don't rail an SUV through a corner. I was surprised that the steering was acceptable as well. It was fairly light but accurate and the steering wheel is small(ish) and racy. The engine/exhaust noise is great. Seats were great but no adjustable bolsters and they were a little wide but did the trick.

I worked out some numbers and while I may go for a Macan in the future, not for several years. I think there is a high likelihood I will pick up an SQ5 and it should cost me just under $60k. I was seriously surprised how good it was.
If you who values BMW preferred the SQ5 over the X3 xDrive35i, BMW is doing something very wrong and has to worry about their future. They'll one by one loose all their core customers, jumping boat to Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac (in US) and Porsche. I think BMW is too much focusing in EU and Chinese market, which is not as the US market.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #262
glennQNYC
Captain
 
glennQNYC's Avatar
 
Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 691
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.83]
Porsche is calling the Macan "the closest driving experience to a 911 in a vehicle with 4 doors." High praise.
__________________
glennQNYC is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #263
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I went to the Porsche dealer yesterday and I drove an X3 xDrive35i M-sport today as well as an SQ5. With my M3 lease ending in January, I'm trying to figure this all out. The Macan is just not going to work for me at this time though.
Some official Macan S info I was given that I'm not sure is easily available:

HP max 5500-6500 RPM but I don't know the redline
TQ max 1450-5000 RPM
Wheels 19x8 235/55 front and 19x9 255/50 rear
Curb weight 4112 lbs
0-60mph is 5.2s or 5.0s with sport chrono launch control
Split folding rear seats 40/20/40
Luggage volume 17.7 cu ft seats up or 53.0 cu ft seats folded
Packages are new and now up on config site

So about those test drives. The X3 was boring as hell and that really surprised me. The steering felt good, ride was nice, throttle was fairly responsive but it just felt fat and tired for power.

Now the SQ5... that was a different story. This thing is excellent fun for what it is. Throttle is nice, torque is fantastic and instant, overall acceleration felt very speedy, and the ride even on 21" wheels was stiff but comfortable. Handling was nice but there was some understeer as I expected but that's why you don't rail an SUV through a corner. I was surprised that the steering was acceptable as well. It was fairly light but accurate and the steering wheel is small(ish) and racy. The engine/exhaust noise is great. Seats were great but no adjustable bolsters and they were a little wide but did the trick.

I worked out some numbers and while I may go for a Macan in the future, not for several years. I think there is a high likelihood I will pick up an SQ5 and it should cost me just under $60k. I was seriously surprised how good it was.
If you who values BMW preferred the SQ5 over the X3 xDrive35i, BMW is doing something very wrong and has to worry about their future. They'll one by one loose all their core customers, jumping boat to Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac (in US) and Porsche. I think BMW is too much focusing in EU and Chinese market, which is not as the US market.
Hell, accord and Camry owners are leaving in droves to the Mercedes CLA.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #264
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Porsche is calling the Macan "the closest driving experience to a 911 in a vehicle with 4 doors." High praise.
Even more so than the Panamera?
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST