BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GT Haus

12-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
little_meech
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

X-pipe options? Help!

So I am undecided on what x pipe to run for many reasons. My dealer will not allow me to replace the primaries without voiding my warranty (so dumb) but whatever. That leaves out high hp pipe setups like gintani/rpi/ipe out

I currently have the meistershaft gt2 and when an x pipe is combined with that rear section, things can get ugly lol

Would you run the meistershaft lx pipe or the challenge street pipe? Both do not replace the front pipes. By keeping primaries, will that allow for no check engine light?

Thanks in advance!
      12-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
little_meech
Private First Class

Meistershaft lx x pipe

12-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Retaining primary cats and 4 sensors in their current locations = No SES light.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      12-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
little_meech
Private First Class

Ok, ive never looked but the primaries are the only ones with sensors? Or do the secondaries have them also?
      12-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
little_meech
Private First Class

Im leaning toward the meistershaft lx x pipe. Does anyone have this pipe and can confirm no check engine light?
      12-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Koldun
Banned

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_meech View Post
Ok, ive never looked but the primaries are the only ones with sensors? Or do the secondaries have them also?
There is little point in removing the secondaries. Very meager power gains overall and lots of drone unless the cats are replaced with resonators.
      12-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
little_meech
Private First Class

I just want a little more power, little more sound, and keep the warranty.

So you'd reccomend a x pipe with hfc's and resonators?
      12-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
JAM3S
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

Why would you tell your dealer??

Just go catless and keep your stock x-pipe just in case you need to switch back.
      12-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
slipaway37
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 E92/ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post

Just go catless and keep your stock x-pipe just in case you need to switch back.
+1
This is the BEST advice...
'13 Frozen Grey, ZCP/E92 M3. Expel Stealth PPF; Macht Schnell Stage II intake & pulleys; custom 20" MORR MS52 wheels; Brembo 380 BBK; Gintani x-pipe w/4 resonators; Akrapovic slip-on; RD springs; Tikore lugs.
slipaway37 is offline   United_States
      12-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

word of advise. don't touch any cats if you care about warranty. cats deleted are not viewed very good in dealership or BMW eyes. you change the air flow and commit a federal crime. ( i know no one gets caught). but still there are shops that don't even touch cars with no cats. for that reason.

the real gains are within the primary cats. you want more sound and wanna be warranty safe? delete your resonators. that with a GT2 i promise you this. you will LOVE it. i had incredible results with my recent delete. car went from to quiet to beast mode. not even kidding. your going to laugh when you see how much louder your car gets.
      12-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
happos2
Dingleberries

Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_meech View Post
1st sentence. There are before and after O2 sensors. Secondary cats are not monitored.
      12-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
little_meech
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post

I didnt. Haha im not retarded lol

My friend is an advisor there. I also have a friend whos a tech and another whos in service. They all told me the same thing

Im not sure i want to take the x pipe on and off every time i need to go to the dealer.
      12-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
little_meech
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
word of advise. don't touch any cats if you care about warranty. cats deleted are not viewed very good in dealership or BMW eyes. you change the air flow and commit a federal crime. ( i know no one gets caught). but still there are shops that don't even touch cars with no cats. for that reason.

the real gains are within the primary cats. you want more sound and wanna be warranty safe? delete your resonators. that with a GT2 i promise you this. you will LOVE it. i had incredible results with my recent delete. car went from to quiet to beast mode. not even kidding. your going to laugh when you see how much louder your car gets.
Haha thanks for the advice man!
      12-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
pskills

Drives: 2009 e92 m3

I had the Meisterschaft gt2 exhaust with sr connecting pipes installed a few weeks ago. Exhaust sounds aight but honestly not too much louder than the ACM exhaust mod imo. I am having the Dinan x pipe with the 4 resonators installed tomorrow. Hopefully it will produce the sound I am looking for. My ses light did come on but maybe it was because I added the sr pipes.

Last edited by pskills; 12-12-2013 at 08:49 AM.
      12-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
little_meech
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskills View Post
I had the Meisterschaft gt2 exhaust with lx pipes installed a few weeks ago. Exhaust sounds aight but honestly not too much louder than the ACM exhaust mod imo. I am having the Dinan x pipe with the 4 resonators installed tomorrow. Hopefully it will produce the sound I am looking for. My ses light did come on but maybe it was because I added the lx pipes.
The lx x pipe or you're referring to the sr pipes?

Whats the acm exhaust mod, their test pipes? Or they delete the resonators? I can call sal
      12-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
e92livin
Captain

Drives: M3

If you went fully catless with a Meisterchaft GT2 you will go deaf, main reason I got rid of mine. But if you must, I would look for a high flow with resenator option like challenge, Gintani also offers a HFC option too.
|2008 MR/BB E92 M3 6MT | Gintani Stage 2 | Stack Gauges | Gintani X-Pipe | TE37SL | RPI Scoops | BC Racing | Hankook RS3| IND Tri-Stitched Shift Boot + Brake Boot | LUX V3 | BMW Performance Grilles + Side Gills | BMW Performance Splitters |BMW Performance Spoiler|
e92livin is offline   Canada
      12-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
little_meech
Private First Class

Haha! I have challenge race sitting in my garage and I refuse to put it on lol

Im concerned with noise but not too much as i barely drive the car. I just dont want the bmw dealer to be like oh, you're catless thats why your motor blew. bmw is the worst. They tried telling me that my tpms malfunction was from installing coilovers lol! Im like no....

Im trying to stay away from this again. I've built crazy cars but no sense in voiding a $80k car warranty over replacing cats. Ill put an ess 625 kit on at that point.

12-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

If you are concerned with warranty, just go with Dinan then. They are expensive, but they can match BMW warranty. But then you'll need tune.

IMO, if you are going to mess around with x-pipe, the primaries have to go.
      12-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
BrewRifle
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
I've got the GT2 (titanium) with SS SR pipes and I think it's crazy loud and sounds intoxicating. Not sure how going catless or resonatorless would sound to be honest, but I would imagine deafening. Whatever you end up going with please post videos of the results.
BrewRifle is offline   United_States
      12-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
M.Hagen
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

The dealership cannot void your warranty for you removing/replacing parts on your own vehicle.

BMW NA can deny any claim you submit and say it is because of the aftermarket part, but they cannot void your warranty preemptively. Additionally, the burden of proof is on BMW NA to show evidence the aftermarket part caused the events leading up to the claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act
Source: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
      12-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #21
Hujan
Major

Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i

If you have to/want to keep the primaries, just get a good axle-back and call it a day. M Performance Exhaust on stock x-pipe is ideal, IMO.
      12-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
little_meech
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hagen View Post
The dealership cannot void your warranty for you removing/replacing parts on your own vehicle.

BMW NA can deny any claim you submit and say it is because of the aftermarket part, but they cannot void your warranty preemptively. Additionally, the burden of proof is on BMW NA to show evidence the aftermarket part caused the events leading up to the claim.
This is perfect! Thank you for the info!

I really want to replace the primaries with HFC's at the very least

Meistershaft lx x pipe is out of the question. It requires cutting to tbe factory front pipes. Id rather do one whole gitani or dinan pipe and remove it if necessary.