BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Stealth wrap for frozen paint

Looking into stealth wrapping my new M3. Has anyone here had experience with it? The company says it's safe for matte use and wont change the look of the matte paint, but before I go putting 6 grand down on wrapping a car I'd like to know the nitty gritty of it!
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
LucWerkz
Banned
 
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC/VA/MD/PA

Posts: 1,254
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U View Post
Looking into stealth wrapping my new M3. Has anyone here had experience with it? The company says it's safe for matte use and wont change the look of the matte paint, but before I go putting 6 grand down on wrapping a car I'd like to know the nitty gritty of it!
It'll make the paint slightly more matte, like more dull. You can barely tell the difference though. In the pic below, you can see the difference between the front fender (wrapped) and the door (not wrapped).

LucWerkz is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
It'll make the paint slightly more matte, like more dull. You can barely tell the difference though. In the pic below, you can see the difference between the front fender (wrapped) and the door (not wrapped).

Doesn't cause any damage to the paint though?

The appearance is fine by me, I just want to keep my baby safe so I can DD her this summer.
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
LucWerkz
Banned
 
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC/VA/MD/PA

Posts: 1,254
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U View Post
Doesn't cause any damage to the paint though?

The appearance is fine by me, I just want to keep my baby safe so I can DD her this summer.
It doesn't cause any damage unless the car has been repainted poorly. When you remove the film, some paint might peel off with it. My friends front bumper was resprayed and then vinyl wrapped a couple months later and this happened after removing the vinyl (PPF like stealth wrap is much stickier)

LucWerkz is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
It doesn't cause any damage unless the car has been repainted poorly. When you remove the film, some paint might peel off with it. My friends front bumper was resprayed and then vinyl wrapped a couple months later and this happened after removing the vinyl (PPF like stealth wrap is much stickier)

My car has 8000km on it, it's never been repainted, it's pretty much brand new.

Your friend's doesn't appear to be matte. I'm concerned the adhesive or peeling will damage the matte coat.
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Saandiaago
Private
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

I have a frozen silver as well. Wrapped with xpel ultimate stealth. The difference is very hard to see and I think this may be related to the underlying color. The frozen red may be more obvious than the silver. I can see a very mild difference in reflection at certain angles in indirect light and honestly only because I know where the wrap is. Most people will not see this. Can't comment on removal. Bought my car new. I assume the original paint job is good and that it can be removed later but I do not have experience with this. My installer who has done many of these on even higher end cars did assure me that it is not a problem. Obviously you only want to pay somebody who is skilled in the application of this film as it is not easy to do well.
Saandiaago is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
I have a frozen silver as well. Wrapped with xpel ultimate stealth. The difference is very hard to see and I think this may be related to the underlying color. The frozen red may be more obvious than the silver. I can see a very mild difference in reflection at certain angles in indirect light and honestly only because I know where the wrap is. Most people will not see this. Can't comment on removal. Bought my car new. I assume the original paint job is good and that it can be removed later but I do not have experience with this. My installer who has done many of these on even higher end cars did assure me that it is not a problem. Obviously you only want to pay somebody who is skilled in the application of this film as it is not easy to do well.
Got a picture of her? How durable is the wrap (does it take rocks, and idiots with keys well)? Do you DD? How many miles sofar?

I will definitely be wrapping mine. Too bad it's so expensive...
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Saandiaago
Private
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Only up to 1500 miles on the wrap. No chips thus far. I did get 2 very small rock chips at the front of the door just behind the initial front wrap. I decided to do the doors as well after this. I think it is well worth the money. Expensive but much chaper and less hassle than painting a panel. I use mine as a daily driver. I was worried about front door strikes at work and now have less worry with my doors wrapped. I'll submit a picture with the full front wrap. My wrap guy did say that the silver is particularly good with this wrap. I think it would be more noticeable with frozen black as you could see on that frozen red earlier.
Saandiaago is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
Only up to 1500 miles on the wrap. No chips thus far. I did get 2 very small rock chips at the front of the door just behind the initial front wrap. I decided to do the doors as well after this. I think it is well worth the money. Expensive but much chaper and less hassle than painting a panel. I use mine as a daily driver. I was worried about front door strikes at work and now have less worry with my doors wrapped. I'll submit a picture with the full front wrap. My wrap guy did say that the silver is particularly good with this wrap. I think it would be more noticeable with frozen black as you could see on that frozen red earlier.
Looking at a black C63 that shadow tint wrapped in my city... looks pretty good! I will contact them and ask for a quote on my M. I do have the 20k bmw appearance warrenty, but I'd rather not have to use it.

So if a pannel gets dented with wrap I'm assuming the dent can be pulled without damaging wrap/car? I'm under the impression it's fairly heavy duty wrap, so hopefully it can survive my 8000km road trip.

Off topic, but I happen to be going to cali (the road trip) in her in a few weeks. Any tips for parking without getting damage? Not exactly staying at high end hotels.
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
Saandiaago
Private
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Frozen silver wrap

Here is mine with the full front wrap.
Attached Images
 
Saandiaago is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
Here is mine with the full front wrap.
Damn that's a pretty car! Tempted to get front spoilers like that, but I think they will scrape when I go to park.
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
s85e90
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (0)

6k for a wrap??? What did we do before these existed?? Just drive the car, save the money in the even something happens. It's just a car and will get chips/bruises.
s85e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Lbsigman
This is my sham shield.
 
Lbsigman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So. Cal

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
Here is mine with the full front wrap.
Saw a car just like yours at Shelly BMW. Looks nice.
Lbsigman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
6k for a wrap??? What did we do before these existed?? Just drive the car, save the money in the even something happens. It's just a car and will get chips/bruises.
6 grand is a paltry sum to protect a car I just spent 80 grand on.

Only 1500 to wrap the impact areas... maybe I'll go with that.
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods

Last edited by 3SPKY5U; 05-20-2014 at 01:24 PM.
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

This is my Frozen Blue with the front matte clear bra. No issues. 13k miles
Attached Images
 
__________________

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
mosborn78108 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
 
3SPKY5U's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborn78108 View Post
This is my Frozen Blue with the front matte clear bra. No issues. 13k miles
And you tracked her even! Perfect. I am booked to wrap next week.
__________________
2012 Frozen Silver BMW ///M3 - Competition Package - Executive package - DCT - Mdrive
2007 Arktis Metallic BMW 335i Sedan - STG2.5 tune - Many many mods
3SPKY5U is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
Saandiaago
Private
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U View Post
Looking at a black C63 that shadow tint wrapped in my city... looks pretty good! I will contact them and ask for a quote on my M. I do have the 20k bmw appearance warrenty, but I'd rather not have to use it.

So if a pannel gets dented with wrap I'm assuming the dent can be pulled without damaging wrap/car? I'm under the impression it's fairly heavy duty wrap, so hopefully it can survive my 8000km road trip.

Off topic, but I happen to be going to cali (the road trip) in her in a few weeks. Any tips for parking without getting damage? Not exactly staying at high end hotels.
No special tips on parking out here other than the usual care you take in deciding where to park. Hope you have a good trip and enjoy the car!
Saandiaago is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Saandiaago
Private
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbsigman View Post
Saw a car just like yours at Shelly BMW. Looks nice.
Thanks. That's exactly where I got it from.
Saandiaago is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
slipaway37
Second Lieutenant
 
slipaway37's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92/ZCP M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SOCAL

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
I have a frozen silver as well. Wrapped with xpel ultimate stealth. The difference is very hard to see and I think this may be related to the underlying color. The frozen red may be more obvious than the silver. I can see a very mild difference in reflection at certain angles in indirect light and honestly only because I know where the wrap is. Most people will not see this. Can't comment on removal. Bought my car new. I assume the original paint job is good and that it can be removed later but I do not have experience with this. My installer who has done many of these on even higher end cars did assure me that it is not a problem. Obviously you only want to pay somebody who is skilled in the application of this film as it is not easy to do well.
I'm with this guy. The Stealth PPF works fantastic with the lighter frozen shades. I have Frozen Grey and you can hardly see a diff; however, I have seen it on the other shades and it's very noticeable. If you don't use the Stealth product you will end up with a very matte appearance which our Frozen's do not have. I only did full hood, bumper, A-pillers, rockers, and rear qtrs. Thank gawd I had this done prior to a track event! Get'er done!
__________________
'13 Frozen Grey, ZCP/E92 M3. Expel Stealth PPF; Macht Schnell Stage II intake & pulleys; custom 20" MORR MS52 wheels; Brembo 380 BBK; Gintani x-pipe w/4 resonators; Akrapovic slip-on; RD springs; Tikore lugs.
slipaway37 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
Nola 32/65
Private First Class
 
Nola 32/65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Orleans

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

We have the Xpel Ultimate (regular) on my fiancÚ's Alpine White e92. Why can't frozen colored cars use the regular clear non stealth wrap? It shouldn't change the appearance of the color I wouldn't think or does it?
Nola 32/65 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
Saandiaago
Private
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola 32/65 View Post
We have the Xpel Ultimate (regular) on my fiancÚ's Alpine White e92. Why can't frozen colored cars use the regular clear non stealth wrap? It shouldn't change the appearance of the color I wouldn't think or does it?
My friend did that on his frozen gray M5. Did not turn out very well. Too glossy.
Saandiaago is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
Nola 32/65
Private First Class
 
Nola 32/65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Orleans

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
My friend did that on his frozen gray M5. Did not turn out very well. Too glossy.
Interesting, I always thought it was just a clear film but I guess it does have its own gloss to it. I'll have to look at I better next time i'm at my friends shop.
__________________
'12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT- Xpel Ultimate on Front Clip / ClearPlex Windshield Protection / CQuartz Finest on Car & Rims / CF Roof Wrap / LUX Lighting Angel Eyes / e92lighting Interior LED Kit / JBspeed Front CF Splitters/ Highlighter Brake Calipers
Nola 32/65 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST