BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM Sport

06-27-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
redpriest
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ZCP

Garage List
Window separation at high speeds on e92

Any one else experience this? I had the opportunity today to travel at 130 to 140 mph. I found that my driver side window got forced open slightly and turned my interior into a wind funnel until I slowed down a bit in which the problem went away.

I know it sounds like a first world problem and the fact that at normal highway speeds it doesn't present itself makes it almost a non issue.

I tried opening and closing the door and that seemed to help some. Rolling the window down and back up had no effect either.
redpriest is offline   United_States
      06-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
TX
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I'm sure the CHP reading this forum are pleased with your confession

May I introduce you to this:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1001779
Or perhaps the very very sad results of a fellow m3 member here. Happened a few blocks from where I was that same night.
http://www.bimmerpedia.com/2011/01/2...-drunk-driving

Don't kill anyone else on the road,
Cheers.
-X

Last edited by TX; 06-27-2014 at 04:19 AM.
      06-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post

Or perhaps the very very sad results of a fellow m3 member here. Happened a few blocks from where I was that same night.

Cheers.
-X
In reference to your first link:

Munich - On a green area at the Sendlinger-Tor-Platz was on Monday afternoon last stop for a young man who was with his BMW raced through the city center.

Shortly before the Sendlinger Tor-Platz, a BMW M-Class is apparently fall into a curve out of control because of the excessive speed. The bolide came right of the roadway down, ran over a traffic sign and crashed into a small park head-on into two trees in front of the building of the savings bank.

The 20-year-old driver, a young man from the eastern district of Munich, suffered according to information from the accident minor injuries and was taken to a hospital......

Please noted the highlighted text. Driving fast can be done VERY safely, especially in an M car. It is all about the where and when. Empty road with good visibility, dry road surface, short bursts of speed. I have been doing this for over 32 years of my driving life and have never even come remotely clsoe to being in a speed related accident. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Also, where exactly does a 20 year old get his hands on a car like this? Most simply do not have the skill, experience, or emotional maturity to manage a car like this.

In reference to your next link.....

Sad news for the M3post community. Fellow member Daniel Portela (Lucifer_m3) was killed in an accident involving his M3. Sadly, alcohol was involved. Daniel, of West Palm Beach had left the Player’s Club Bar and Restaurant in his BMW M3 series and headed northbound on South Shore Boulevard, according to a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s report.

Tragic, but, is anyone surprised? If you are going to drive fast, you need to have full wits about you. I never do it with someone else in the car, the radio is off and I am fully focused on exactly what I am doing. In fact, I am probably a safer driver when going fast then when I am going slow.

06-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
TX
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
In reference to your first link:

Munich - On a green area at the Sendlinger-Tor-Platz was on Monday afternoon last stop for a young man who was with his BMW raced through the city center.

Shortly before the Sendlinger Tor-Platz, a BMW M-Class is apparently fall into a curve out of control because of the excessive speed. The bolide came right of the roadway down, ran over a traffic sign and crashed into a small park head-on into two trees in front of the building of the savings bank.

The 20-year-old driver, a young man from the eastern district of Munich, suffered according to information from the accident minor injuries and was taken to a hospital......

Please noted the highlighted text. Driving fast can be done VERY safely, especially in an M car. It is all about the where and when. Empty road with good visibility, dry road surface, short bursts of speed. I have been doing this for over 32 years of my driving life and have never even come remotely clsoe to being in a speed related accident. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Also, where exactly does a 20 year old get his hands on a car like this? Most simply do not have the skill, experience, or emotional maturity to manage a car like this.

In reference to your next link.....

Sad news for the M3post community. Fellow member Daniel Portela (Lucifer_m3) was killed in an accident involving his M3. Sadly, alcohol was involved. Daniel, of West Palm Beach had left the Player’s Club Bar and Restaurant in his BMW M3 series and headed northbound on South Shore Boulevard, according to a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s report.

Tragic, but, is anyone surprised? If you are going to drive fast, you need to have full wits about you. I never do it with someone else in the car, the radio is off and I am fully focused on exactly what I am doing. In fact, I am probably a safer driver when going fast then when I am going slow.

You have spoken, I rest my case and retract my opinion...
      06-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

There is a problem with your window. I experienced wind noise at high speed during cold weather. The dealer replaced the window seal and the noise went away. A $75k car is not supposed to leak air, get it fixed.
AshyLarryMP is offline   United_States
      06-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Titanium Silver
Four Star General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I had the opportunity today to travel at 130 to 140 mph...

I tried opening and closing the door and that seemed to help some.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
      06-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
happos2
Dingleberries

Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post

Cheers.
-X
Let me introduce you to the concepts of assumptions. They aren't always correct... What a novel idea I just had!! Instant devils advocate: how do you even know he did this on a highway much less a public road, not at a private airstrip event, track, etc? Doubt the CHP would blink twice because there is not substantial evidence of wrong doing.

Anyways...back on topic...OP, could potentially be a window motor issue. I have read people having issues but don't think it was ever correlated to speed like your issue.
      06-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
4corners
Captain

Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
My driver's side window will do this in one place where it's very windy here. If you know Palm Springs, there is a thousand plus wind turbines in the valley. When the wind creates a negative on the downside of my car, it sucks the window out slightly. If I open it, it will not close until i'm out of the wind.
4corners is offline   United_States
      06-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
redpriest
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ZCP

Garage List
I didn't do this on a public road so I'm not sure why you guys are going nuts about it. I'm not suicidal nor do I want to kill anyone.
redpriest is offline   United_States
      06-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
happos2
Dingleberries

Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I didn't do this on a public road so I'm not sure why you guys are going nuts about it. I'm not suicidal nor do I want to kill anyone.
Just a typical response when someone talks about going fast. I am sure said person has never done anything illegal and is a perfect model citizen...