BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #45
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant
 
IrishCoffee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2014 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
IMO, this sort of "disagreement" is best either worked out in private, or with the organizers. Calling out other fellow track enthusiasts, no matter how douche-y, leads to bad carma.

Believe it or not, at one point or another we all started out the same, all a bunch of clueless noobs who think they're god's gift to driving, only to have their heads handed to them by REAL drivers.

Now, if the driver in the video had followed the guy for like 1/2 a lap screaming "NEMESIS!" on video, then that's something worth posting, IMO.
Much of this is true, but signing up in the red group with Speed Ventures when skill level is that low is just plain dangerous. There is some serious speed happening in that group and open passing. The fact is that this guy could easily do something unexpected when someone is trying to pass properly and cause a major accident.

Siging up in the advanced groups requires previous authorization with Speed Ventures so the assumption is that this guy is just lying about his skill level and experience.

I've done 8-10 days at Auto Club Speedway, but know my skill level and remain below the advanced groups. Better to work your way up slowly than endanger others and ruin the fun for everyone.

So I guess what I am saying is that he deserves it.
IrishCoffee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #46
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,609
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
Dood, you're not as fast as me. I have mastered Enduro on the Atari and also GT3 academy. I've also been to two track weekends. Once I bleed my brakes I will pass you on the inside line in the wet.
you are high. if you come down below me i will slam the door on you f1 style. i been watching on tv as well so no one stands a chance.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #47
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 956
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Much of this is true, but signing up in the red group with Speed Ventures when skill level is that low is just plain dangerous. There is some serious speed happening in that group and open passing. The fact is that this guy could easily do something unexpected when someone is trying to pass properly and cause a major accident.

Siging up in the advanced groups requires previous authorization with Speed Ventures so the assumption is that this guy is just lying about his skill level and experience.

I've done 8-10 days at Auto Club Speedway, but know my skill level and remain below the advanced groups. Better to work your way up slowly than endanger others and ruin the fun for everyone.

So I guess what I am saying is that he deserves it.
He definitely deserves the lashing. There is always one guy in every group who thinks he's just great and has placed himself 3 groups too high. Interesting that those guys always have 500+ bhp.

There are some very talented and fast drivers in the advanced/open passing groups. This dude is a liability, who not only doesn't know the line, but wouldn't know to check his mirrors for the guy that's diving in on him. Accidents happen all the time in the open passing groups. I witnessed a guy total his McLaren at AAA last year after mild contact.

Someone who sucks balls and then dismisses the lashing that he's getting from other drivers is just an idiot. Period.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #48
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,609
iTrader: (5)

+1 I would have no tolerance for someone endangering me. I should be the only idiot on track at any one time.
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #49
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant
 
IrishCoffee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2014 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
+1 I would have no tolerance for someone endangering me. I should be the only idiot on track at any one time.
Ha!
IrishCoffee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #50
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,219
iTrader: (0)

Wow! Unbelievable to hear how much of a cock this guy was. Any sympathy has been revoked
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #51
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,709
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
There's always THAT guy. Too bad his parents didn't teach him that actions speak louder than words. Seems pretty simple to me. Be a humble student and it's easy to impress. Egos raise expectations and set you up to fail (whether you think you did or not).
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #52
kaiv
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Was one of those corvettes black color? I'm telling Elie on you, lulz



Come to Spring Mountain Randall!
kaiv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #53
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,282
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
This was Session 4. He had all day. AND his buddy in the M5 was already kicked down. AND he posted after the track day bragging about how fast he was and was belligerent in responding to criticism that he should move down a group.

Occasionally people do get released into the wrong groups and they don't mean or want to be there -- this guy was just a douche.
Link? I need some entertainment
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #54
MilehighM3
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,007
iTrader: (9)

This inspired me to preorder the Xbox1 & PS4. I'll be killing fools in no time, one handed, without even trying
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #55
swartzentruber
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago NW suburbs, IL

Posts: 554
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
There are some very talented and fast drivers in the advanced/open passing groups. This dude is a liability, who not only doesn't know the line, but wouldn't know to check his mirrors for the guy that's diving in on him. Accidents happen all the time in the open passing groups. I witnessed a guy total his McLaren at AAA last year after mild contact.

Someone who sucks balls and then dismisses the lashing that he's getting from other drivers is just an idiot. Period.
I'll agree with the second point, but as for the first point, I think it's also every driver's responsibility to make at least some attempt at monitoring other drivers driving styles, and figuring out which ones can drive, and which ones to stay away from. If I'm not sure, I would increase following distance or passing distance, rather than assuming a certain skill level. There shouldn't be a lot happening on track with other drivers that you can't at least some degree anticipate. This certainly doesn't mean that organizers shouldn't be doing a good job of placement and moving down if necessary, but in all cases, I'd rather avoid the incident, than assume and have something happen. My opinion anyway, others may differ.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black/Fox Red E90 M3 DCT, ZCP, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, BMW Apps
2004 VW R32 (track car)
swartzentruber is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #56
swartzentruber
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago NW suburbs, IL

Posts: 554
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
A short video clip from a GT-R track buddy's car over the weekend at Auto Club Speedway of a CTS-V driver who, while running at laughable 2:17 pace, opted to run in Speed Venture's Red group (Red group runs at low 1:50's and lower).
Am I mistaken in that it appears your buddy passed without a point-by from the CTS-V, and also made a somewhat aggresive pass? Regardless of how irritated he was or how bad of a driver he thought the caddy was, from my view of that pass (which is somewhat hard to tell from the clip), I'm not sure how much better he is (at least from a track ettiquette perspective) than the driver you are critiquing.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black/Fox Red E90 M3 DCT, ZCP, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, BMW Apps
2004 VW R32 (track car)
swartzentruber is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #57
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,638
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Am I mistaken in that it appears your buddy passed without a point-by from the CTS-V, and also made a somewhat aggresive pass? Regardless of how irritated he was or how bad of a driver he thought the caddy was, from my view of that pass (which is somewhat hard to tell from the clip), I'm not sure how much better he is (at least from a track ettiquette perspective) than the driver you are critiquing.
This was in the Red group (Speed Ventures organizer's High-Advanced run group), which required no point-by (it's open passing).
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #58
swartzentruber
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago NW suburbs, IL

Posts: 554
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
This was in the Red group (Speed Ventures organizer's High-Advanced run group), which required no point-by (it's open passing).
Got it, guess I've never seen that with any track organizers I've ever run with. The only run groups in all track events I've been in that allow passing anywhere and no point by is strictly for instructor groups. I suppose in that case the passing is probably expected to be more aggressive as well, though I know if it would have been me, I'd have given the "bad driver" a lot more room in passing him.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black/Fox Red E90 M3 DCT, ZCP, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, BMW Apps
2004 VW R32 (track car)
swartzentruber is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #59
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,227
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
+1 I would have no tolerance for someone endangering me. I should be the only idiot on track at any one time.
Lol
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #60
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,609
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Lol
You know what that's like with all your saves and drifting.
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #61
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,227
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Lol
You know what that's like with all your saves and drifting.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #62
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,609
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Sure, sure. Well take my word for it sideways is cool backwards and in the dirt not so much.
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #63
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,571
iTrader: (0)

CtsV guy was just a douchebag who thought oh shit my car is fast so i belong there.

Am i the only one who would be more pissed at the gt3 guy? Give some space to the faster guy and youll necer catch up again.
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
My thoughts on M5/6 vs M3/4...i wonder if tuned panamera turbo S owners are laughing at gt3 owners because they have "no chance in a race"
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #64
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 956
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
I'll agree with the second point, but as for the first point, I think it's also every driver's responsibility to make at least some attempt at monitoring other drivers driving styles, and figuring out which ones can drive, and which ones to stay away from. If I'm not sure, I would increase following distance or passing distance, rather than assuming a certain skill level. There shouldn't be a lot happening on track with other drivers that you can't at least some degree anticipate. This certainly doesn't mean that organizers shouldn't be doing a good job of placement and moving down if necessary, but in all cases, I'd rather avoid the incident, than assume and have something happen. My opinion anyway, others may differ.
I agree with what you're saying and I doubt anyone here would disagree that we all have a responsibility to drive safely, monitoring others driving ability as well as others' car abilities.

This event has 5 or 6 groups (classes) on any one day for you to place yourself in. Our point is that this guy mis-selected the highest group, blew it and then continued to think he was great, ignoring important feedback from others around him that if heeded, would have made the track a safer place that day.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #65
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,571
iTrader: (0)

i want to see his posts in whatever forum he is in....i will signup, login, and post the video in that thread HAHA....i will post the link to this thread as well....just let me know where.
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
My thoughts on M5/6 vs M3/4...i wonder if tuned panamera turbo S owners are laughing at gt3 owners because they have "no chance in a race"
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #66
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,638
iTrader: (0)

^lulz
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST