BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Lux Angel Eyes

09-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #23
leigh
Major

Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoxZR1 View Post
I already have a quote through AAMI's online calculator, about $1800 per year with premium of $750 which I think is reasonable. 335i is similiar. The main difference is purchasing price, fuel and servicing.

Is it difficult to self-service? I would love to get nitty and gritty with the car but I've never done anything like that before. I contacted Advan performance who are supposed to be a good for BMWs, they quoted $350 for yearly inspection and oil and filter change.

That's what scares me, especially with a high-tech engine. It would probably be worth the trade off.

Australia has a lot of taxes (import duties, LCT etc). Australian median salaries are much higher but purchasing power is much stronger in USA, basically we get screwed with cars.

Yeah that sounds good, but wouldn't want to be pestering people and be there without even having a BMW car!

But thanks a lot of the advice guys. I guess it looks like maintenance is reasonable and no real problems with that brilliant engine. I guess it comes down whether I want to spend an extra $100 per week on a M3 over 335i. Through my 6 years of uni (graduating in 4 months) I've driven pretty slow crap cars so anything will be an awesome upgrade and I know street performance will be pretty much same between the two (chipped 335i that is), I'll have to go drive one and see how special it feels.
Please don't go with AAMI that is the worst this you could ever do
      09-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Ur84wr
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3

Hi all,

On topic:

what do you believe to be a realistic value for a 2010 Manual E93 with 20k kms?

Iam a bit surprised that there are older 07 M3s with higher kms floating around for 60's.

Thanks,
      09-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Golf

Be weary of servicing costs, inspection II will be around $2k or so from a dealer. You could always do it yourself as you said as long as you have a way of resetting the on board servicing scheduler. But consider resale as well...even though it's the last V8 M3, there's so many of them that I doubt they will increase or hold their value at all and eventually you'll want a different car I'm sure. Would you buy the car that's been self-serviced, independently serviced or has a full dealer service history?

I don't think anyone has mentioned other consumables like brake pads/discs, easy enough to change out yourself but from memory a pair of front discs is around $1k, pads vary. The OEM tyres will probably last you around 20,000kms depending how you drive the car so be mindful of that too.

Fuel consumption can vary immensely but don't expect anything under 12-13L (driving it like a camry), I still remember the first few weeks I had my first E92 I was sitting on 23-25L/100kms, you won't be able to help yourself!

My 07' had a faulty fuel pump sensor but was fixed under warranty having done around 25,000kms at the time. That being said the 07' is can be good because they all have EDC, M Drive, comfort access etc., but you have the old iDrive. The manual is a good choice, easy to use and fun, they have different suspension and so on compared to a 335i, it's a completely different car to drive and much better for it.

My advice would be to find one that has had new pads & discs installed recently, new tyres (PS2/PSS etc), full BMW service history, recently serviced and had the inspection II service done if it's high mileage
TAAXED is offline   Australia
      10-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
kookie
Private

Drives: e93 335i

I don't know where everyone is picking up M3's for 60, but I am looking at getting a M3 and wanted to know if I should steer clear of high K (90k+) or they will be fine?

Also tossing up between manual and DCT.

Any die hard manual fans make the switch without regrets?
kookie is offline   Australia
      10-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie View Post
I don't know where everyone is picking up M3's for 60, but I am looking at getting a M3 and wanted to know if I should steer clear of high K (90k+) or they will be fine?

An '07 fully optioned car with low mileage you are looking at close to $85 from a private buyer. The same car through the dealer will have a $10k premium added to cover advertising, prepping, warranty etc. Next year when in the new M3/4 is out then probably looking at $70-75k.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
      10-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAAXED View Post
Be weary of servicing costs, inspection II will be around $2k or so from a dealer. You could always do it yourself as you said as long as you have a way of resetting the on board servicing scheduler. But consider resale as well...even though it's the last V8 M3, there's so many of them that I doubt they will increase or hold their value at all and eventually you'll want a different car I'm sure. Would you buy the car that's been self-serviced, independently serviced or has a full dealer service history?

I don't think anyone has mentioned other consumables like brake pads/discs, easy enough to change out yourself but from memory a pair of front discs is around $1k, pads vary. The OEM tyres will probably last you around 20,000kms depending how you drive the car so be mindful of that too.

Fuel consumption can vary immensely but don't expect anything under 12-13L (driving it like a camry), I still remember the first few weeks I had my first E92 I was sitting on 23-25L/100kms, you won't be able to help yourself!

My 07' had a faulty fuel pump sensor but was fixed under warranty having done around 25,000kms at the time. That being said the 07' is can be good because they all have EDC, M Drive, comfort access etc., but you have the old iDrive. The manual is a good choice, easy to use and fun, they have different suspension and so on compared to a 335i, it's a completely different car to drive and much better for it.

My advice would be to find one that has had new pads & discs installed recently, new tyres (PS2/PSS etc), full BMW service history, recently serviced and had the inspection II service done if it's high mileage
Agree and disagree. Yes, dealer servicing will look good on paper, but often they fail to do a proper job. When my car was serviced by the dealer during the warranty period the car came back with less or more oil. Seats were dirty, and an issues after another.

When I change the oil in my car at the moment, I bring the oil up to operating temperature before draining it. I drain for nearly an hour or so, and also take out any oil left in the filter.

The dealership will not spend that kind of time on one car. It's all about turn around for them. Same with brake fluid.

I have seen first year apprentices work on /// cars at the dealer, and I don't think any owner knows who had worked on their cars. Only big jobs like engine change or troubleshooting problems are allocated to senior tech.

Knowing this, I rather keep the money in my pocket and for some elbow grease, do a proper job myself. And I enjoy doing it.

I don't plan to sell this car, hence my attention to details and taking utmost care. Also I am not prepared to pay $39/ltr for TWS and another $200 for labour to change my oil every year. A oil change will cost close to $650 at the dealer, and with me buying the parts through contacts, I save $500 on an oil change. Now take that.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
      10-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
MFKN3
Colonel

Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Agree and disagree. Yes, dealer servicing will look good on paper, but often they fail to do a proper job. When my car was serviced by the dealer during the warranty period the car came back with less or more oil. Seats were dirty, and an issues after another.

When I change the oil in my car at the moment, I bring the oil up to operating temperature before draining it. I drain for nearly an hour or so, and also take out any oil left in the filter.

The dealership will not spend that kind of time on one car. It's all about turn around for them. Same with brake fluid.

I have seen first year apprentices work on /// cars at the dealer, and I don't think any owner knows who had worked on their cars. Only big jobs like engine change or troubleshooting problems are allocated to senior tech.

Knowing this, I rather keep the money in my pocket and for some elbow grease, do a proper job myself. And I enjoy doing it.

I don't plan to sell this car, hence my attention to details and taking utmost care. Also I am not prepared to pay $39/ltr for TWS and another $200 for labour to change my oil every year. A oil change will cost close to $650 at the dealer, and with me buying the parts through contacts, I save $500 on an oil change. Now take that.
I agree

I'm going to keep mine too and it will eventually become a dedicated track-weekend car when I eventually buy something else.
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
      10-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
GrayFoxZR1

Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie View Post

There was a 2007 M3 manual with 60,000kms that was on carsales for $66k around 6 months ago, don't know how much it sold for. When I saw that I thought that might be a fair representation of what the market will be like in 6 months, but right now the cheapest M3's are in the $70s with high mileage.

I guess that was just a bargain and someone really wanted to offload that car.
      10-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #31
drjekl
Captain

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
There was a 2007 M3 manual with 60,000kms that was on carsales for $66k around 6 months ago, don't know how much it sold for. When I saw that I thought that might be a fair representation of what the market will be like in 6 months, but right now the cheapest M3's are in the $70s with high mileage.

was it silver and in vict? prices dont drop that quick, especially on ///M vehicles! Even with the new model coming out, the E9X's will be sought after.

By memory there are a few in the high 70's by memory that have crept down over the past few months, put a few offers in on those!
      10-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #32
GrayFoxZR1

Drives: VW Golf

It was silver but not sure if it was in Vic. Interestingly there was a car in August for $69,999 with 60,000kms, 2007 manual in QLD.

That was gone off carsales within a week again don't know how much it sold for. I know those numbers because I took a screenshot. It was also a dealer sale which is surprising given they usually charge more.

I think in 6 months time with the new M3/M4 the 07 models with 50-80,000kms it's possible for the price to drop to around $60k. The E9x will still be sort after but a 2007 car will already be 7 years old and a generation old, and I'm sure plenty of owners will be looking to upgrade to the new one.

Last edited by GrayFoxZR1; 10-12-2013 at 08:24 PM.
      10-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #33
DeanoG

Drives: MMM

To echo comments from others. Yes the car is awesome to drive, but they can be expensive to maintain to a proper standard.

This is no Falcodore / Jap Import, so everything is expensive. Go out and get some realistic prices for all the usual consumables (tyres / plugs / pads & discs / other fluids / cabin filters) and consider if it still looks good.

A proper wheel alignment will be $300 or so, and a simple code read/reset will be $100 (depending on where you go)

Also be realistic if you are going to DIY stuff. There is no workshop manual for the M3, so its either buy a copy of the TIS DVD if you can find one, or hope there is a DIY on the www.

If you plan to track day it, obviously your wear items will come up more regularly. If youre only road driving it, you will probably get frustrated at not being able to stretch its legs.

Honestly, if I was 25 and had some cash, id be dropping it on an older car (E36 M3?) , that I can drive hard, and fix if it goes pop. If you did that in an E92, its going sting the wallet severly.
      10-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #34
leeb8
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW E92 M3

buying M3 needs to be an emotional, irrational and impulse decision !

I had a pretty nice sport car prior to my E92, decided to walk into a dealership one day just to kill time I swear ! with no intention to swapping cars what so ever, bought my previous ride brand new less than 18 months ago only.

I immediately signed on the dotted lines after one test drive and two coffees.

never looked back since. luvin every moment I get into my e92.
      10-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #35
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb8 View Post
luvin every moment I get into my e92.
+1

2014 F15 X5 3.0d
      10-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #36
kaitan
Major

Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking

Quote:

Have you bought one yet?? I can't believe how come your AAmi premium is so cheap with $750 excess!

Check out Facebook: TLCC @ Pymble.
      10-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #37
Captain

Drives: 428i MSport

I have just seen a extremely low km 2008/09 (updated idrive) for sale. it hasnt even been listed yet. Anyway i got the keys and checked idrive for what is due service wise, to my surprise it has a lapsed 'vehicle inspection' due late last year! all other service lights were green. Now this car only has 20k kms so i doubt the owner drove it very much at all over the past 5 years. What is involved in the 1st vehicle inspection. This was a little concerning but apart from that the vehicle looked mint.
510135 is offline   Australia
      10-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #38
MFKN3
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510135 View Post
I have just seen a extremely low km 2008/09 (updated idrive) for sale. it hasnt even been listed yet. Anyway i got the keys and checked idrive for what is due service wise, to my surprise it has a lapsed 'vehicle inspection' due late last year! all other service lights were green. Now this car only has 20k kms so i doubt the owner drove it very much at all over the past 5 years. What is involved in the 1st vehicle inspection. This was a little concerning but apart from that the vehicle looked mint.
Sounds perfect, I'd buy it. There's a vehicle inspection which is just referring to a European emissions check I think. I'd probably start with a clean slate and do all the fluids or at least oil & brakes, if you bought it.
      10-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #39
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Sounds perfect, I'd buy it. There's a vehicle inspection which is just referring to a European emissions check I think. I'd probably start with a clean slate and do all the fluids or at least oil & brakes, if you bought it.
thanks for the reply! A friend of mine has told me to avoid cars build 2007/2008 rod bearing issue? This one was built 2008 but it did have the updated idrive (current system) it had M-drive etc, etc. Can i search if this car has the old rod bearings via a vin search? thanks again.
      10-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #40
MFKN3
Colonel

Quote:
thanks for the reply! A friend of mine has told me to avoid cars build 2007/2008 rod bearing issue? This one was built 2008 but it did have the updated idrive (current system) it had M-drive etc, etc. Can i search if this car has the old rod bearings via a vin search? thanks again.
It's a valid concern. I think yours is the MY2009 model? They updated the bearings after 10/2008.

Curious to know how your friend was aware of this as I haven't heard much in Australia?
      10-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #41
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3
Quote:
It's a valid concern. I think yours is the MY2009 model? They updated the bearings after 10/2008.

Curious to know how your friend was aware of this as I haven't heard much in Australia?
He has a S/C M3 and I think he did heaps of homework before buying his (most likely international threads). I have since done a bit of reading online. It would seem as though the claims are a bit hit and miss. Some people with later models have still had issues. I don't think that this problem is wide spread.