BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
bhup09
Private
 
bhup09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

First time detailing with PC 7424XP

Hey everyone, I am looking to put together a detailing regime for my 2010 JET BLACK M3. It has a medium amount of swirling. It looks like it had been detailed once, the paint has a nice shine and whatnot. After searching the forums I have came up with this:

-Chemical guys citrus or Dawn wash (removes wax??)
-Decon
-Sonax Full effect on wheels
-Clay with Chemical guys blue clay with lube
-Rewash or IPA?
-Mezerna SI 1500 with yellow LC pad
-Mezerna SF 4500 with a white LC pad
-Blackfire Sealant with black or blue? LC pad
-Wax with Pinnacle Souveran using black LC pad

How does this look? Should I be doing an IPA between the cutting, polishing and sealing steps? Also would having 2 of each pad be good or should I get 3of each?I'm new at this and would like to have as much information possible before I try to attempt this! Any help is appreciated Thanks!!
__________________
10 E92 M3 | JET BLACK | BLACK NOVIOLLO | DCT | PDC | NAV | ~ /IND Painted Reflectors,Side Grilles,Front Grilles/Hardwired 9500ix/Coding/Lux v4/AFE Filter/Gintani Sport Rear Section/

Last edited by bhup09; 08-09-2013 at 12:21 AM.
bhup09 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,533
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhup09 View Post
Hey everyone, I am looking to put together a detailing regime for my 2010 JET BLACK M3. It has a medium amount of swirling. It looks like it had been detailed once, the paint has a nice shine and whatnot. After searching the forums I have came up with this:

-Chemical guys citrus or Dawn wash (removes wax??)
-Decon
-Sonax Full effect on wheels
-Clay with Chemical guys blue clay with lube
-Rewash or IPA?
-Mezerna SI 1500 with yellow LC pad
-Mezerna SF 4500 with a white LC pad
-Blackfire Sealant with black or blue? LC pad
-Wax with Pinnacle Souveran using black LC pad

How does this look? Should I be doing an IPA between the cutting, polishing and sealing steps? Also would having 2 of each pad be good or should I get 3of each?I'm new at this and would like to have as much information possible before I try to attempt this! Any help is appreciated Thanks!!
Ok so to begin you're on track with chemical guys to strip the wax. Add in some dawn to seal the deal. Sonax is great for the wheels as well. You're good with the clay but don't do an ipa after a clay but I personally would do another wash and dry before polishing. Your menzerna combo is pretty good I think I'm just not too familiar with menzerna as compared to meguiars 105 and 205 combo but they should be similar. After all polishing is done its a good idea to do another wash then do a full ipa wipe down. This ensures all the oils have left the paint. Black pad for the sealant and wax are fine. Honestly the wax is overkill but you'll get some nice gloss and a little more protection added. Use different pads for
The different polishes and one for wax and one for sealant.
__________________
rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
rcracin
Private
 
Drives: toyota
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: fj62

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Sounds exactly like what I'm doing next week except im using the meguiars 105/205 combo since I have it.

Dawn wash
clay bar with dodo juice born slippy
going to test 205 on an orange LC pad first to see the result. possible 105 on orange pad on bad areas
finish it off with blackfire wet diamond sealant by hand.
rcracin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (1)

I'd get some orange pads.

2 each is good to start, but you'd be hard pressed to do the entire car at one time with just two. However if you do it in sections you should be fine.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
bhup09
Private
 
bhup09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Ok so to begin you're on track with chemical guys to strip the wax. Add in some dawn to seal the deal. Sonax is great for the wheels as well. You're good with the clay but don't do an ipa after a clay but I personally would do another wash and dry before polishing. Your menzerna combo is pretty good I think I'm just not too familiar with menzerna as compared to meguiars 105 and 205 combo but they should be similar. After all polishing is done its a good idea to do another wash then do a full ipa wipe down. This ensures all the oils have left the paint. Black pad for the sealant and wax are fine. Honestly the wax is overkill but you'll get some nice gloss and a little more protection added. Use different pads for
The different polishes and one for wax and one for sealant.
Thanks! I see a lot of people using the Meguiars combo with good results, I think I read somewhere that the Mezerna and Wolfgang combo had a little less dust, not sure if this an actual fact. Either way I'm sure any of these products work fine. Ill post some pics when I get around to detailing my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I'd get some orange pads.

2 each is good to start, but you'd be hard pressed to do the entire car at one time with just two. However if you do it in sections you should be fine.
I do plan to do it in sections, I was thinking of doing the front clip (fenders, hood bumper) then wash the pad. Get a brand new pad to do roof, doors and skirts. Then finish the rear of the car with the first pad which is hopefully dried out by then? Does that sound right!? Thanks
__________________
10 E92 M3 | JET BLACK | BLACK NOVIOLLO | DCT | PDC | NAV | ~ /IND Painted Reflectors,Side Grilles,Front Grilles/Hardwired 9500ix/Coding/Lux v4/AFE Filter/Gintani Sport Rear Section/
bhup09 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
bhup09
Private
 
bhup09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Anyone
__________________
10 E92 M3 | JET BLACK | BLACK NOVIOLLO | DCT | PDC | NAV | ~ /IND Painted Reflectors,Side Grilles,Front Grilles/Hardwired 9500ix/Coding/Lux v4/AFE Filter/Gintani Sport Rear Section/
bhup09 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
voidopolis
New Member
 
Drives: 2004 E46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

We seem to have come to a lot of the same conclusions on what to use (I have a carbon black E46). I just started getting ready to do the exact same thing - with almost identical products. I believe you made the right choice with the Mezerna products. They seem to get better reviews than the Meguiars stuff. I went with orange pads over yellow. I went with 2 pads each.

I'm very interested in how your setup goes. I did a few test passes with the buffer on the bumper to see how things go - I think I'm being a little too timid with it... I'm going to watch some more videos and get ready for full polish next weekend.

Blackfire Sealant with black - that is what my plan is.

I'd recommend a really bright light to check the paint with. even during a sunny day in the garage, it was hard to see the condition of the paint while inside.

GL - I'd love to see your progress and what results you get.
voidopolis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
bhup09
Private
 
bhup09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidopolis View Post
We seem to have come to a lot of the same conclusions on what to use (I have a carbon black E46). I just started getting ready to do the exact same thing - with almost identical products. I believe you made the right choice with the Mezerna products. They seem to get better reviews than the Meguiars stuff. I went with orange pads over yellow. I went with 2 pads each.

I'm very interested in how your setup goes. I did a few test passes with the buffer on the bumper to see how things go - I think I'm being a little too timid with it... I'm going to watch some more videos and get ready for full polish next weekend.

Blackfire Sealant with black - that is what my plan is.

I'd recommend a really bright light to check the paint with. even during a sunny day in the garage, it was hard to see the condition of the paint while inside.

GL - I'd love to see your progress and what results you get.
Hey man thanks for the reply! Yea I'm thinking we have made a good selection of products now its just time to use them. Its better to work slow so take your time and try to use varying pressure and number of section passes to get your desired results. Checking with a high powered light looks like its a big help spotting out the imperfections in the paint especially on black cars. I wish you good luck on your detail, hopefully I can get to mine next weekend aswell. Post up some pics when you are done!
__________________
10 E92 M3 | JET BLACK | BLACK NOVIOLLO | DCT | PDC | NAV | ~ /IND Painted Reflectors,Side Grilles,Front Grilles/Hardwired 9500ix/Coding/Lux v4/AFE Filter/Gintani Sport Rear Section/
bhup09 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
JFlo
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast, FL

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Like most other guys have pointed out you seem to be on the right track! Just to share some of my experiences though:

- I believe that the sealant AND the wax might be a little overkill. Sure, you will most likely get a slightly better gloss but if this is your daily I wouldnt mind too much. A couple of months ago I did a full detail and finished off with a wax and regret not going for some sort of "longer lasting" sealant.
- More pads! Definitely get two of each kind. I made the mistake of just getting one of each It seems like you can never have enough.
- Time! Time and time again I underbudget how long a good detail/correction really takes. As a result you have to cut a couple of corners here and there, and the whole process (and not to mention the end result) can become more unpleasant. For my next detail I will probably start one afternoon/evening and follow up early next morning, which should put you in good shape to finish at a decent time in the afternoon. Trust me... nothing is more upsetting than having to work ALL day and then not being to take some proper after shots because the sun went down several hours ago!

Again, this is just a couple of my personal experiences that you might find helpful. It sounds like you have done some good research so Im positive your end result will be awesome!
JFlo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

Prepare yourself for about 12 to 20 hours of Labour time. Of course there are ways to cut corners but when dealing with two stage paint correction patience and experience is the key. Specially when using a da polisher over a orbital polisher. led light is also the key when working on dark colors. locating swirls may be tricky but take your time because once the job is done and final coat goes on missed spots seem to sneak up and take away from the final finish. Just a heads up on final finish going with a sealant and or a wax delivers different results. A synthetic sealant will allow for longer protection and deliver a great mirror like finish -zaino, opticost. Natural waxes provide a deep wet look finish that takes away from the mirror as a compromise. But to each his Own. Good luck and take lots of pics.

Please tape up all trim. It will make clean up much easier. Do wash the car between polish and sealant. Very important.
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
bhup09
Private
 
bhup09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Thanks! More good advice
__________________
10 E92 M3 | JET BLACK | BLACK NOVIOLLO | DCT | PDC | NAV | ~ /IND Painted Reflectors,Side Grilles,Front Grilles/Hardwired 9500ix/Coding/Lux v4/AFE Filter/Gintani Sport Rear Section/
bhup09 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST