BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #45
eocrm3
New Member
1
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Purchased a pre-owned 2010 X5 4.8i with Sport Package for the wife in April of this year. It had 22,500 miles on it.

So far so good, no issues, but I do get nervous reading up on threads where the general consensus is that these models are problematic with a variety of issues. It's still under factory warranty until Feb 2014, but whether or not we'll keep it after then will depend on how reliable it is out of warranty.

As far as performance the 4.8i is great (though I never did test drive the 6 cylinder models so can't really compare)......the 4.8i is crazy on gas though, I'm lucky to get 200 miles out of a full tank!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #46
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
4,214
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eocrm3
Purchased a pre-owned 2010 X5 4.8i with Sport Package for the wife in April of this year. It had 22,500 miles on it.

So far so good, no issues, but I do get nervous reading up on threads where the general consensus is that these models are problematic with a variety of issues. It's still under factory warranty until Feb 2014, but whether or not we'll keep it after then will depend on how reliable it is out of warranty.

As far as performance the 4.8i is great (though I never did test drive the 6 cylinder models so can't really compare)......the 4.8i is crazy on gas though, I'm lucky to get 200 miles out of a full tank!
Discussion is for the 4.8i*S*, effectively the X5M before there was one.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #47
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
86
Rep
5,418
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Did somebody say tow?

The e70 handled this 6k lbs like nobody's business. The tow rating is more than likely based off of the limited wheelbase and low tongue weight ability rather than lack of power or brakes. The e70 was my favorite tow vehicle, I could literally pass people going up the grape vine,in tow, in excess of 80mph, until my wife would bring me back to planet earth and tell me to slow the F down. It literally towed better than my tundra. Insert pic whoring....
I'm keeping an eye on X5 diesel prices, and how reliable they are. Which engine did you have? That's exactly how I'd want my X5 to look btw.

What made you say it towns better than a Tundra? That just happens to be my favorite truck too, but I'm done with gas guzzlers. The M3 is enough.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #48
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
M3ZCP6MT's Avatar
22
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 381 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

4.8is is a special car. Some called it X5M before there was a X5M. From my friends' experiences, it is a gas guzzler and quite costly to maintain and repair. Soft resale value though. Good luck.
__________________
.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #49
krnnerdboy
Colonel
krnnerdboy's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,155
Posts

 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Did somebody say tow?

The e70 handled this 6k lbs like nobody's business. The tow rating is more than likely based off of the limited wheelbase and low tongue weight ability rather than lack of power or brakes. The e70 was my favorite tow vehicle, I could literally pass people going up the grape vine,in tow, in excess of 80mph, until my wife would bring me back to planet earth and tell me to slow the F down. It literally towed better than my tundra. Insert pic whoring....
I'm keeping an eye on X5 diesel prices, and how reliable they are. Which engine did you have? That's exactly how I'd want my X5 to look btw.

What made you say it towns better than a Tundra? That just happens to be my favorite truck too, but I'm done with gas guzzlers. The M3 is enough.
Thanks! It was the total package in terms of awd, awesome 8spd, responsive brakes, 15mpg in tow and a huge amount of low/mid torque. The tundra suffers from a shitty frame that bounces all over and adds a bit of skittishness to the overall feel of the car while in tow, but there's no denying the long wheelbase would help in hairy situations. Also the power was too rev happy for a truck, and it only averaged 9mpg while towing.
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #50
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
4,214
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Thanks! It was the total package in terms of awd, awesome 8spd, responsive brakes, 15mpg in tow and a huge amount of low/mid torque. The tundra suffers from a shitty frame that bounces all over and adds a bit of skittishness to the overall feel of the car while in tow, but there's no denying the long wheelbase would help in hairy situations. Also the power was too rev happy for a truck, and it only averaged 9mpg while towing.
Did you get your E70 wheels painted/powder coated, or from the factory in that gunmetal color?
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #51
krnnerdboy
Colonel
krnnerdboy's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,155
Posts

 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

iTrader: (10)

Embarrassed to say they're $900 22" knockoffs from eBay :/
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #52
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
4,214
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

iTrader: (3)

Damn! Impressive looking. Hopefully they are not soft like some other aftermarket wheels.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #53
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
86
Rep
5,418
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Embarrassed to say they're $900 22" knockoffs from eBay :/
Could have fooled me. Those look amazing.

Did you have the V8TT or I6?
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST