BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
rantarM3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 286
iTrader: (0)

18" Tire Alternatives to PS2's for Advan RS

I am planning on getting a set of Advan RS wheels (9" front & 10" rears) for my M3 later this year but am undecided as to whether to get 18's or 19's (currently on OEM ZCP wheels). Right now I am leaning towards 19's even though I'd prefer 18's because of 19" tire choices.

The lightest setup would be the 19's with stock (245 & 265) size tires. If I go to a 255/40 in the front and a 275/40 in the rear, the 18's are a little lighter. The problem with the wider tires on the 18's is that the only option is a PS2 tire (for some reason, the PSS's are not available in the 275/40 size). I checked Tirerack but could not find a suitable replacement to the PS2's and would like to stay in the PSS price range.

Can anyone suggest a good alternatives to the PS2's in the 255/40 & 275/40 size? Or is it as simple as sticking with stock tire sizes on the 18's? My concern with the stock size tires on the Advan's is that my research indicates that they would look a bit too stretched.
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,612
iTrader: (10)

I would suggest skipping the Advan RS and get a wheel available in 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 sizes. The Advan TC3 is a great option. The RS looks good but the available sizes suck IMO. That will allow you to run 275/35/18 (or 265/35/18) in the front and 285/35/18 (or 295/35/18) in the rear.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
rantarM3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 286
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I would suggest skipping the Advan RS and get a wheel available in 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 sizes. The Advan TC3 is a great option. The RS looks good but the available sizes suck IMO. That will allow you to run 275/35/18 (or 265/35/18) in the front and 285/35/18 (or 295/35/18) in the rear.
I do not need or want tires wider than 255 & 275 F/R because doing so ends up eliminating th e benefits of a lighter wheel. I will check out the TC3's though. Thanks.
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,612
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
I do not need or want tires wider than 255 & 275 F/R because doing so ends up eliminating th e benefits of a lighter wheel. I will check out the TC3's though. Thanks.

Michelin PSS -

255/40/18 = 25 lbs

275/35/18 = 25 lbs
_________________________________
275/40/18 = ?? Not available in PSS (27 lbs for a PS2)

285/35/18 = 28 lbs

Even if there was a slight difference in weight, the increase in grip is worth it IMO. Weight is certainly important but it is only one component of performance. I wouldn't pick my tires based solely on their weight. I would gladly run a slightly heavier tire that had more grip. Obviously there is a point where the weight gain is not worth it but we are not at that point with the tire sizes I recommended.

Wheels - I recommended the Advan TC3 because you were already looking at Advan's. Another good option is a Volk TE37 or TE37SL. They are very common but that is for good reason. They are light, good offsets, forged, and fairly priced.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)

Last edited by slicer; 08-05-2013 at 12:09 PM.
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
rantarM3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 286
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Michelin PSS -

255/40/18 = 25 lbs

275/35/18 = 25 lbs
_________________________________
275/40/18 = ?? Not available in PSS (27 lbs for a PS2)

285/35/18 = 28 lbs

Even if there was a slight difference in weight, the increase in grip is worth it IMO. Weight is certainly important but it is only one component of performance. I wouldn't pick my tires based solely on their weight. I would gladly run a slightly heavier tire that had more grip. Obviously there is a point where the weight gain is not worth it but we are not at that point with the tire sizes I recommended.

Wheels - I recommended the Advan TC3 because you were already looking at Advan's. Another good option is a Volk TE37 or TE37SL. They are very common but that is for good reason. They are light, good offsets, forged, and fairly priced.
The TC3's are nice, although I can't find official weight specs. I also did check out the Volks but it seems they are a bit costlier than the Advans (especially the forged TE37's).

Is it safe to assume you have the 275/285 setup? Any rubbing with those widths?
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,612
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
The TC3's are nice, although I can't find official weight specs. I also did check out the Volks but it seems they are a bit costlier than the Advans (especially the forged TE37's).

Is it safe to assume you have the 275/285 setup? Any rubbing with those widths?
From the "rub / no rub" sticky thread:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=17
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST