BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Longwong
Banned
Rep

Drives: e92 m3 catless

If your running e85-read (update)

So Have been running e30 for awhile now. Great results. I forgot to update anyone who is doing this following my post a couple months ago. I started having a really bouncy idle randomly and especially after each fill. I thought for awhile it was the idle control thing going but no codes. I always run a tank of regular premium every 4 or 5 tanks to clean things out but not until I did my chevron techron in the tank did I realize the e85 mix likely gums up the injectors slightly (given its e30 its probably slight) but enough to mess with the idle IMO. I ran 14 gallons of premium with techron 20 gallon bottle. I did that twice after noticing such an improvement in both idle and in general. Then went back to e85 and now idle problem is totally gone, even after each fill up. So I have always ran techron every 5k miles but its really important to do if you are mixing e85 to keep things clearn in the fuel system or engine in general as this techron seems to do a great job with cleaning out whatever residue the e85 mix leaves. So be sure to do this every 15 tanks of fuel or so if running e85. Its cheap way to keep the system clearn as a bottle is 15 bucks
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
MilehighM3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Longboarder
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Longwong has is own style for sure...but this is good info guys.

Ethanol mixes are very beneficial from a performance perspective but like he says, there's some things you need to keep in mind if you go this route.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: :O

Garage List
I have noticed the same characteristics when I mix E85. I thought it was due to the fuels not being fully mixed yet. It only happens the morning after I fill up for maybe 10-15 seconds at the first stoplight I come across. I theorize that it's adjusting fueling and not because the injectors are clogged.

Why don't you use your BT tool to log the AFRs after filling up? Perhaps you could capture the event and see what the ECU is actually doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: S65B40

Same thing happened with my 335i on cold-starts, I guess that's the price to pay with lower energy content. So far, the benefits (better warm-weather performance) outweigh the negatives for me (2 mpg less).

Have you noticed a decrease in fuel smell with an E30 mixture being that you're catless? I really wish someone could make a proper E30 tune which could essentially be a basic race fuel map but with a bump of 30-50% for fueling to obtain the proper AFR.

At this point, I would consider running a piggyback system such as a Procede, which lets you use select preset maps, but allows you to make timing and fueling adjustments as needed (in this case, a 30-50% bump in fueling) to take advantage of the higher ethanol mixture.
Now gone
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Longwong
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
I have noticed the same characteristics when I mix E85. I thought it was due to the fuels not being fully mixed yet. It only happens the morning after I fill up for maybe 10-15 seconds at the first stoplight I come across. I theorize that it's adjusting fueling and not because the injectors are clogged.

Why don't you use your BT tool to log the AFRs after filling up? Perhaps you could capture the event and see what the ECU is actually doing.
I have captured many AFR readings. This was clearly related as it went away after the techron and its a well known piece of data that running e85 can result in a bit of sludge and should be cleaned out with running non e85 and in my case techron.

You certainly don't have to do it but it helps. Some idling craziness is normal when the computer is adjusting, however I was having bouncy idle at stop lights and other idling conditions randomly. The injectors were not clogged but even a small residue can effect things.

Just my .02 certainly don't need to follow
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Longwong
Banned
Rep

Even if you don't run e85, the techron every oil change is a great product and keeps the fuel system perfectly running. BMW uses it themselves and I have had great luck
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Are you tuned for the E85 or just using it for the 105 octane to make sure you hit the timing targets that are programmed for a pump gas tune? If tuned for it, are you using a fuel sensor and switchable tunes?
Appreciate 0