BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Alpine HID

02-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Bimmer-M3
Lieutenant

Drives: e90

M3 dilemma

Hi everyone !

I need an advice on what would be the best to do. Back in October, I bought 08 BMW 335i but since the day I bought it I fall in love with e90 M3 every time I see it. I know I should've bought the M3 but I found a good deal on 335i and didn't want to let it go.

I went to few dealership to see what can I get for the trade if I get a used M3 but since I had a fender bender on right side of the car last December and it is now showing in Carfax/autocheck. I bought the car for $17k (60k fully loaded) the dealership right now will not give me more than 12k for it. It is a big hit and I am not sure if it is wise decision to do it, isn't it?

Any thoughts?
      02-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M3

Try and sell it private party... That is a big hit.

Evolve Supercharged E92 M3
      02-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Post on Craig's list and sell it yourself. It's pretty easy to do.
      02-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
Bimmer-M3
Lieutenant

A 335i on craigslist is not as M3...it will probably take long time to sell
      02-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
dparm
Major

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Spend the $50 to list it on AutoTrader and wait for a good offer. I'd say that the $50 listing and a few weeks of waiting is well worth the extra few thousand dollars you'll get.
      02-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
sunsweet
Banned

Drives: '13 ZCP ED+PCD Only Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrou View Post
Hi everyone !

I need an advice on what would be the best to do. Back in October, I bought 08 BMW 335i but since the day I bought it I fall in love with e90 M3 every time I see it. I know I should've bought the M3 but I found a good deal on 335i and didn't want to let it go.

I went to few dealership to see what can I get for the trade if I get a used M3 but since I had a fender bender on right side of the car last December and it is now showing in Carfax/autocheck. I bought the car for $17k (60k fully loaded) the dealership right now will not give me more than 12k for it. It is a big hit and I am not sure if it is wise decision to do it, isn't it?

Any thoughts?
you think $5k is a big hit ?? then forget about buying an M3. People on this board are known to go through $4k or even $6k aftermarket exhausts like changing shirts, $8k wheels on a whim or picked the $4k individual color for fun. This is not a cheap car.
      02-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Bimmer-M3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
you think $5k is a big hit ?? then forget about buying an M3. People on this board are known to go through $4k or even $6k aftermarket exhausts like changing shirts, $8k wheels on a whim or picked the $4k individual color for fun. This is not a cheap car.
I like M3 as it is now (stock)...why would I mod it?
      02-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
sunsweet
Banned

Quote:
I know, i would not modify mine either, but the M3 is a $75k car new, even if you get a used one for much less and a song, $5k loss on your trade should not really be an issue. If it is, be aware the yearly cost of ownership of an M3 is much higher than a 335is. Especially if you drive it like it should be driven . And repairs down the road on a second hand but top of the line M car are still going to cost premium money.
      02-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
Bimmer-M3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
I know, i would not modify mine either, but the M3 is a $75k car new, even if you get a used one for much less and a song, $5k loss on your trade should not really be an issue. If it is, be aware the yearly cost of ownership of an M3 is much higher than a 335is. Especially if you drive it like it should be driven . And repairs down the road on a second hand but top of the line M car are still going to cost premium money.
I don't think you have owned a 335i, have you? Because you wont say this statement if you did. I have done maintenance on many cars but not as much as I did for 335i even though I didn't own it for long time. There are many reliability issues on this car and of course not considering yet the turbo's. At least the M3 is NA engine and I believe maintenance on this car will be way below an avg 335i
      02-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
sunsweet
Banned

Quote:
I don't think you have owned a 335i, have you? Because you wont say this statement if you did. I have done maintenance on many cars but not as much as I did for 335i even though I didn't own it for long time. There are many reliability issues on this car and of course not considering yet the turbo's. At least the M3 is NA engine and I believe maintenance on this car will be way below an avg 335i
No i haven't, but i am aware of reliability issues on the 335i and that the M4 engine is based on the 335is which is foreboding for reliability. From what I have read, a lot of the M4 engine development centered on the intercooler. But cooling the charge of a boosted engine is like a gas plant problem. It is notoriously complex and 9 out of 10 times unreliable at the limit. Back to your trade in, it just seemed to me that loosing $5k is not that significant for buying a high end car. You'll spend much more on gas before you know it. It just doesn't make sense to buy an M3 if you have to worry about a few thousands already.
      02-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Agree here. You can probably do better on the sale going private, and there's certainly no reason you shouldn't try rather than writing off the $5K right away, but the other responders are right that your running costs will be much higher than a 335i even with that car's reliability issues. Even an oil change is far more expensive because M3 oil is $15/liter and it takes 8.8 liters. Then there are those drilled rotors, larger and wider tires you'll go through faster, insurance, gas, knock sensing spark plugs, etc. Yes, the likelihood of repairs with an M3 may be less, but when they come around you better believe they'll cost more than a 335i's.

I always say this to people contemplating this move, so I'll say it again here. As amazing as the M3 is and although it can make even commuting more fun than a 335i, the extra fun it adds is not worth its higher overall costs if all you'll be doing is regular commuting on city streets and freeways. You really need to take it to the track on occasion (more cost) to justify its cost premium IMHO -- otherwise you just never get to fully experience this car and understand what it's about. Others can and have disagreed with that, but the one consistency I've observed among the dissenters is that none of them have ever actually been to the track. If you have no intention of ever going, and especially if you won't even spend lots of quality time on twisty back roads, you may end up with your dream car and then decide it's not worth it.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      02-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #12
tinman831
Captain

Quote:
Says the guy who has never owned an M3. Depreciation alone will be about $3-5k per year anyways. Even so, you want to minimize any losses that you can. No sense wasting money trading it in when you can make a lot more selling it privately.
      02-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
Bimmer-M3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Agree here. You can probably do better on the sale going private, and there's certainly no reason you shouldn't try rather than writing off the $5K right away, but the other responders are right that your running costs will be much higher than a 335i even with that car's reliability issues. Even an oil change is far more expensive because M3 oil is $15/liter and it takes 8.8 liters. Then there are those drilled rotors, larger and wider tires you'll go through faster, insurance, gas, knock sensing spark plugs, etc.

I always say this to people contemplating this move, so I'll say it again here. As amazing as the M3 is and although it can make even commuting more fun than a 335i, the extra fun it adds is not worth its higher overall costs if all you'll be doing is regular commuting on city streets and freeways. You really need to take it to the track on occasion (more cost) to justify its cost premium IMHO -- otherwise you just never get to fully experience this car and understand what it's about. Others can and have disagreed with that, but the one consistency I've observed among the dissenters is that none of them have ever actually been to the track. If you have no intention of ever going, and especially if you won't even spend lots of quality time on twisty back roads, you may end up with your dream car and then decide it's not worth it.
I wasn't planning on tracking the car but I agree that I wont taste the true power of M3 unless I push it to its limit. Thanks for your input.
      02-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
///M3AN
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe  [0.00]
Quote:
+1 on this

I have owned a 335I and an M3 together and priced many things on both. 335I money is right there with the M3.
///M3AN is offline   United_States
      02-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #15
dreamspeed
Captain

Drives: 6MT

So much wrong info and elitist attitude flying around in here.
      02-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #16
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Hi everyone !

Any thoughts?
Several.....

1. You are not really taking a $5k "hit". It would only be a hit if you realistically thought you could sell your 335 for exactly what you paid for it.

2. The car is now a model year older, has been driven more, and has been in an accident.

3. Trading to a dealer will never get you what selling to a private party would.

4. Selling a car that has been in an accident to a private party is also not going to be easy. There will be so many completely clean 335's around.

Basically, I think $12k is just about right, all things considered, and may even be bordering on a good deal for a trade.

And do keep in mind what others are saying. Maintaining and/or modding an M3 isn't going to be a cheap proposition. You say you don't want to mod it but you will. Even my very lightly modded M3 has $7k in mods.

02-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #17
Rupes
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I wouldn't do it in your situation. Don't forget, you lose on taxes too (in most states). You prob paid close to $1,500 on your current car in taxes that you won't get back. Plus, there's a big cost difference on an M3 and you'll have to pay taxes on that too.

I hate taxes. Keep the 335 until you can afford to really step up to something pristine. Otherwise, you'll have a money pit on your hands.
Rupes is offline   United_States
      02-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #18
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel

You made a mistake with the 335, take the hit and live with it I guess. I still think if you tried to sell it privately you could cut the loss in half. Autotrader is a good way.

I think it's funny how people act like 5k is $5.00, no matter how rich someone is, it's still annoying when you know you screwed up and have to take a loss.

Evolve Supercharged E92 M3
      02-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #19
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....

Drives: 2011 BMW e93

Try to sell it privately. No matter what deal you contemplate, make sure what you can stomach numbers wise and then go from there. Nothing worse than getting into a hot ride because of lust and then having a bill that ruins the experience. Uhhh, just talkin' about cars here......
      02-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #20
blast1st
Test

Drives: DAILY DRIVER IMFAMOUS 'H-FIT'

Take the plunge and trade it in plus list headache, trust me you will forget all about it once you have the M...
blast1st is offline   Philippines
      02-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
donovan
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

People with money trade their cars in at the dealership...

People who put to much effort into their cars do it private sale, because it makes fucking sense and we want the monies worth?

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
      02-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #22
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Quote:
"I am not going to mod the car at all" he said although only half in earnest.
2013 M3 Coupe Melbourne RedÖhlins Road & Track, MPE Exhaust, Brembo GT 380 BBK, HRE S104 Wheels, iND Painted License Plate Frame, M3 Painted Rear Badge, BMW M3 Edition Grills & Gills, BMW Aluminum Pedals
Semi-Poor is offline   United_States