BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Evolve Automotive

04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
E93blackdct

Drives: E93 black dct , ess vt2-585

clock and trip reset everytime

my clock and trip reset every times start the car ,repair shop had install new interstate battery and register , but the problem still there , anyone have this problem before please give advise . thank you
      04-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
M3amigos
HP addict

Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Did they reprogram the ecu so it knows a new battery was installed? Also, if you changed the amperage rating, that needs to be coded. If this hasn't been done you need a trip to the dealer or shop that has this capability. You can also buy the cable and download the tools to do it yourself if you are tech savvy. Plenty of info about this online.
      04-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos
Did they reprogram the ecu so it knows a new battery was installed? Also, if you changed the amperage rating, that needs to be coded. If this hasn't been done you need a trip to the dealer or shop that has this capability. You can also buy the cable and download the tools to do it yourself if you are tech savvy. Plenty of info about this online.
^this
      04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
E93blackdct

Quote:
Yes the shop that install battery did all that
      04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
M3amigos
HP addict

The clock reset is an indication of a battery not holding its charge. How long does it sit? You may want to have the new battery tested just in case. I swapped my battery when this happened at about 45k miles and the clock resets went away immediately.
      04-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
E93blackdct

Quote:
The clock reset is an indication of a battery not holding its charge. How long does it sit? You may want to have the new battery tested just in case. I swapped my battery when this happened at about 45k miles and the clock resets went away immediately.
I dont drive the car that much , just weeken for little, most the time it in garage , that why i think the battery is bad , but after replace and reprogram it still does the same things , i dont know i should trust interstate battery go with the oem
      04-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
M3amigos
HP addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93blackdct
Quote:
I dont drive the car that much , just weeken for little, most the time it in garage , that why i think the battery is bad , but after replace and reprogram it still does the same things , i dont know i should trust interstate battery go with the oem
In that case, because the car sits for more than a couple days, the ecu is removing power to some of the accessories to conserve power. A battery tender would more than likely fix this issue.
      04-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
E93blackdct

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93blackdct
Quote:
In that case, because the car sits for more than a couple days, the ecu is removing power to some of the accessories to conserve power. A battery tender would more than likely fix this issue.
I did try battery tender in for week , but still does that , back to the shop in wednesday for more check up , thank you for all your imfor
      04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Happened to me only in the last week or so before I replaced the battery. Has not happened since. I did reset adaption on the battery. To me, it was a sign the battery was on the way out. For months prior to that, the clock had simply been losing time. My car is an 08 and it has been driven regularly, year round. I replaced the battery about a month ago -- it was about 5 years old and the car had about 50k miles.
      04-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
E93blackdct

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb
Happened to me only in the last week or so before I replaced the battery. Has not happened since. I did reset adaption on the battery. To me, it was a sign the battery was on the way out. For months prior to that, the clock had simply been losing time. My car is an 08 and it has been driven regularly, year round. I replaced the battery about a month ago -- it was about 5 years old and the car had about 50k miles.
It seem like everyone had the same issue like my , after replace battery it take care the problem , but my after the battery replace it still do the same issue . Will have tech check more into it , hate to spend all that money for all that hrs ck up for little thing like this . Thanks you
      04-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
skins333
Captain

Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93blackdct View Post
I had same trouble couple weeks ago that went away with oem battery change on my m3. I thought I would also mention that a couple years ago I replaced my 2007 335 battery with an interstate one and things worked out just fine too.
skins333 is offline   United_States
      04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Peahi
Captain

Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Start driving that thing!!! Your car hates sitting in the garage. Let the tiger out of the cage, lol.

You only live once.
      04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
E93blackdct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi
Start driving that thing!!! Your car hates sitting in the garage. Let the tiger out of the cage, lol.

You only live once.
I will love too, i work only 2 mile from home , when home kid and wife want to go with mini van , i hear you , got make more time to drive that car
      07-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
slimmie
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 JB e92 335i

any solution to this?

experiencing the same problem after a battery replacement with registration.
      07-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
schnell325
Bored at work....

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi

Always lock your car (even if in a secure garage) as this "shuts off" the car from draining the battery as quick vs if it was unlocked.
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
schnell325 is offline   Canada
      07-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
E93blackdct

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmie
any solution to this?

experiencing the same problem after a battery replacement with registration.
Finally the shop find out , one of the connection in battery cable was not inplace , it take 2 day to find the problem , tell the shop that change the battery check all the connection , this battery cable is very sensetive. Good luck