BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Mrbig
Captain
 
Drives: 13 335is
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.C

Posts: 977
iTrader: (1)

Best Replacemnt Rotors ?

What can we use that's better than stock with stock caliper ?
Mrbig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Mrbig
Captain
 
Drives: 13 335is
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.C

Posts: 977
iTrader: (1)

Nothing ?
Mrbig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
saxonb
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2007 E92 M3 & 1996 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotors:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818535


Front only.


I've found some cool looking rear floating rotors from REBS in Korea. Will pass on the pricing when I find out.

http://zenondt.com/bbs/zboard.php?id...esc=asc&no=167
__________________

2007 E92 M3 Silverstone II / StopTech Trophy / ZCP / Eisenmann Sport / Track Pipes / Pulleys / BPM Sport
For sale:
1996 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / BBS LM / SuperSprint Street / Brembo+CSL brakes
saxonb is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
saxonb
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2007 E92 M3 & 1996 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

And Race Brakes too:

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...-M3-p/2161.htm
http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...-M3-p/2162.htm
__________________

2007 E92 M3 Silverstone II / StopTech Trophy / ZCP / Eisenmann Sport / Track Pipes / Pulleys / BPM Sport
For sale:
1996 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / BBS LM / SuperSprint Street / Brembo+CSL brakes
saxonb is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
ridin135
Colonel
 
Drives: 991 C2S & E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville

Posts: 2,247
iTrader: (7)

Damn rotors are expensive for the m
ridin135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Mrbig
Captain
 
Drives: 13 335is
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.C

Posts: 977
iTrader: (1)

Anyone running the race brake rotors any good ???
Mrbig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,591
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonb View Post
Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotors:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818535


Front only.


I've found some cool looking rear floating rotors from REBS in Korea. Will pass on the pricing when I find out.

http://zenondt.com/bbs/zboard.php?id...esc=asc&no=167
the second set is interesting, wonder why they don't have a front set
__________________

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,065
iTrader: (12)

This is what I'd go for (due to good feedback from other platform):
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860667

Need more interest from people though.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
saxonb
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2007 E92 M3 & 1996 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
the second set is interesting, wonder why they don't have a front set
they do: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870425

$900 for the rear floating disc kit

$5000 for the M5 kit
__________________

2007 E92 M3 Silverstone II / StopTech Trophy / ZCP / Eisenmann Sport / Track Pipes / Pulleys / BPM Sport
For sale:
1996 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / BBS LM / SuperSprint Street / Brembo+CSL brakes
saxonb is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
tdott
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T.Dot

Posts: 467
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Damn rotors are expensive for the m


I found these prices to be pretty good for OEM rotors.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._6BB4EABD.aspx
__________________
tdott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,284
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbig View Post
What can we use that's better than stock with stock caliper ?
Our vote goes to the Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotors!

PFC DD rotor discussion:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...mance+friction


Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I found these prices to be pretty good for OEM rotors.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._6BB4EABD.aspx
As OEM(likely German made), those are good prices, but keep in mind that OEM isn't genuine BMW.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,522
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I found these prices to be pretty good for OEM rotors.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._6BB4EABD.aspx
Tischler has them for $274.00
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,206
iTrader: (2)

thoughts on stoptech rotors?

http://shop.acuteperformance.com/sto...d/g-55256.aspx

anyone with experience with these?
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Mrbig
Captain
 
Drives: 13 335is
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.C

Posts: 977
iTrader: (1)

Can anyone comment, who actually has these on there car better than stock ?
Mrbig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Vic311
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
thoughts on stoptech rotors?

http://shop.acuteperformance.com/sto...d/g-55256.aspx

anyone with experience with these?
NOOO used them (not on M3), horrific quality hit or miss. Can't speak about their BBKs

@ the OP. The OEM rotors are solid. You can pair them up with more agressive pads at the expense of rotor life, of course
Vic311 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Q8_TwinTurbo
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kuwait

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbig View Post
What can we use that's better than stock with stock caliper ?
RacingBrakes were an excellent upgrade that i used in place of the stock & DBA 5000 series rotors that warped on a 335i.
Q8_TwinTurbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,284
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8_TwinTurbo View Post
RacingBrakes were an excellent upgrade that i used in place of the stock & DBA 5000 series rotors that warped on a 335i.
RB rotors are a good upgrade for a street car, but they have not fair well on the track. If 2-piece rotors are a must-have, the PFC DD 2-piece is a much better choice.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #18
Mrbig
Captain
 
Drives: 13 335is
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.C

Posts: 977
iTrader: (1)

Rb rotors ? Best idea ? ?
Mrbig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,682
iTrader: (3)

When you write "better than stock," what are your expectations? These are just lumps of metal that absorb heat. The stock ones do a very good job. The quality aftermarket stock replacements will also do a very good job. Low quality aftermarket replacements may warp, crack, or fill their vents with rust faster. Expensive aftermarket upgrade rotors may weigh slightly less if two-piece and/or vent slightly better, but I am not sure even a race car driver could tell the very slight difference. For some two-piece, there may not even be any long term cost savings since replacement rotor rings are proprietary and possibly as expensive as new stock or aftermarket stock rotors.

If you have a problem you are trying to fix, the it is worthwhile looking for a solution. For example, maybe you are warping stock rotors regularly on the track.

I noticed the OP's other thread on lightweight batteries. If paying big bucks to save a few pounds is important, go for two piece rotors. You should drop a couple of pounds per rotor. This is unsprung weight, so savings here are worth several times that elsewhere. You could probably also save some weight with a full aftermarket brake kit that replaces the massive cast iron single piston sliding calipers we have. Just don't go much bigger on the rotor or you will offset the loss. Lightweight wheels are also great, and some tires are lighter for the same size than others.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,065
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
When you write "better than stock," what are your expectations? These are just lumps of metal that absorb heat. The stock ones do a very good job. The quality aftermarket stock replacements will also do a very good job. Low quality aftermarket replacements may warp, crack, or fill their vents with rust faster. Expensive aftermarket upgrade rotors may weigh slightly less if two-piece and/or vent slightly better, but I am not sure even a race car driver could tell the very slight difference. For some two-piece, there may not even be any long term cost savings since replacement rotor rings are proprietary and possibly as expensive as new stock or aftermarket stock rotors.

If you have a problem you are trying to fix, the it is worthwhile looking for a solution. For example, maybe you are warping stock rotors regularly on the track.

I noticed the OP's other thread on lightweight batteries. If paying big bucks to save a few pounds is important, go for two piece rotors. You should drop a couple of pounds per rotor. This is unsprung weight, so savings here are worth several times that elsewhere. You could probably also save some weight with a full aftermarket brake kit that replaces the massive cast iron single piston sliding calipers we have. Just don't go much bigger on the rotor or you will offset the loss. Lightweight wheels are also great, and some tires are lighter for the same size than others.
In your opinion, what would be the way to get more initial bite without breaking the bank? Is BBK the only way to go?

I did the mistake of driving a new 911 in the mountains.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,162
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
In your opinion, what would be the way to get more initial bite without breaking the bank? Is BBK the only way to go?

I did the mistake of driving a new 911 in the mountains.
initial bite is a function of many variables. You can get different initial bite by just changing the pads...

BBK is more for heat management...
happos2 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,682
iTrader: (3)

For the most initial bite, I'd stick with stock brake pads. Bite is really in the pad material. Most performance pads shift the temperature range up, so they trade initial bite for more fade resistance under temperature when worked hard.

I don't think big brakes stop any better in daily driving on the street. Their advantages start to show up when their better heat dissipation comes into play, which is when they are hot, like during repeated high speed stops. Unless you drive at high speeds on deserted canyon or mountain roads, you probably won't experience fade unless on the track.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST