BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Strasse Forged
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #67
SROC5
Colonel
SROC5's Avatar
United_States
400
Rep
2,811
Posts

Drives: BSM M4
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
+1. I went with E36 bump stop anyway (only an extra $40), figured while I was in there, might as well.

Really happy with the ride height.
Nice work! Looks great bro. Yep, might as well add the bumpstops, couldn't hurt but only help is my point as well.
__________________

AWE NR | SWIFT SR| PAGID RS29 | RE71 R | 6MT
-https://youtu.be/wGKimCOSJ5o
-https://youtu.be/tJOXlWYUDYE
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #68
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
987
Rep
17,677
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
My opinion is yes, go with the e36 M3 bumpstops. Even though they say they are not required, I went with e36 bumpstops and shaved my guide supports down about .2". The ride is very good and handling at the track is greatly improved. If I could go back I would shave about another .2 to .3" from the guide supports to just to give me a little more travel (currently i only have about .2" of travel up front versus the .5" they have with stock ZCP setup). Only 2 issues I have now are some occasional bottoming out over large bumps or big dips in the road and car does get slightly unsettled when hitting mid-corner bumps due to the fact that it's leaning hard on the front bumpstops when you're really pushing it. My local track is smooth so i had no issues there.... mainly just notice this on the road... off ramps, etc.

Just my 2 cents. I'm very happy with the Swift Springs though. Great product if you want to improve handling while keeping EDC.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #69
swifty
Lieutenant Colonel
71
Rep
1,652
Posts

Drives: SO F80, Ghibli & Tesla 70D
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Will be getting the swifts instead of the eibachs.

However, can someone advice how the progressive e92 bumpstops differ from the e36? Is it possible that the progressive bumpstops are better in the long run for the car. Does bottoming out on the e36 bump stops make the car more unsettled than on the progressive bump stops on the e92?

Anyone running the e92 bumpstop with swifts experience bottoming out and if so is it like heavy thud noise/crash feeling or different?
__________________
__________________
Current Bimmer: '16 SO F80 (stock for as long as possible)
Gone but never forgotten: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, volks/advan, Akra Evo, Kics R40
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #70
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
987
Rep
17,677
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Will be getting the swifts instead of the eibachs.

However, can someone advice how the progressive e92 bumpstops differ from the e36? Is it possible that the progressive bumpstops are better in the long run for the car. Does bottoming out on the e36 bump stops make the car more unsettled than on the progressive bump stops on the e92?

Anyone running the e92 bumpstop with swifts experience bottoming out and if so is it like heavy thud noise/crash feeling or different?
E36 bump stops are progressive as well, as with most if not all OEM BMW bump stops.

You are not likely going to bottom out much if at all with the Swift Spec-R springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #71
swifty
Lieutenant Colonel
71
Rep
1,652
Posts

Drives: SO F80, Ghibli & Tesla 70D
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Ok so I ordered the e36 M bumpstops but put the swifts on without them yesterday.

Drove the car over 100km and so far it hasn't bottomed out here. Mind you our roads are a lot like UK with tons of potholes and dips. Will keep you guys posted.

Also how long did most of you guys wait for the car to settle to do an alignment.
__________________
__________________
Current Bimmer: '16 SO F80 (stock for as long as possible)
Gone but never forgotten: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, volks/advan, Akra Evo, Kics R40
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #72
JuzMe
Second Lieutenant
JuzMe's Avatar
16
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: M Land

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Ok so I ordered the e36 M bumpstops but put the swifts on without them yesterday.
Is there a reason why you ended up not putting E36 bumpstops on since already ordered them?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #73
swifty
Lieutenant Colonel
71
Rep
1,652
Posts

Drives: SO F80, Ghibli & Tesla 70D
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

^ 2 reasons. One, the swifts were developed to run on OEM e9x M bumpstops and I have to believe that in the span of 15 years (e36 to e92) something in the material, design or build must have advanced in the production of these bumpstops since BMW designed the current generation to ride on bumpstops as opposed to years past.

2nd I was already at the shop for few other things and I didn't have the bumpstops with me yet decided to install it anyway.

I was already wavering about putting it on and then just went with it. I used to bottom out on my old coils on the 335i certain stretches of my commute home from work so I'll go drive by that area today and comment.

Please advice on how long I should wait to let the springs settle before doing the alignment.
__________________
__________________
Current Bimmer: '16 SO F80 (stock for as long as possible)
Gone but never forgotten: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, volks/advan, Akra Evo, Kics R40
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #74
E90M3velocity
First Lieutenant
Philippines
31
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: Silverstone II E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

iTrader: (2)

bilstein shocks with edc

Has anyone tried pairing these with lowering springs? Maybe a good way to retain edc?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...-with-edc.aspx
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #75
Lucrecio84
Captain
Lucrecio84's Avatar
United_States
85
Rep
710
Posts

Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, California

iTrader: (3)

thanks for the review
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #76
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
2350
Rep
10,175
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
^ 2 reasons. One, the swifts were developed to run on OEM e9x M bumpstops and I have to believe that in the span of 15 years (e36 to e92) something in the material, design or build must have advanced in the production of these bumpstops since BMW designed the current generation to ride on bumpstops as opposed to years past.

2nd I was already at the shop for few other things and I didn't have the bumpstops with me yet decided to install it anyway.

I was already wavering about putting it on and then just went with it. I used to bottom out on my old coils on the 335i certain stretches of my commute home from work so I'll go drive by that area today and comment.

Please advice on how long I should wait to let the springs settle before doing the alignment.
I waited a week.
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #77
swifty
Lieutenant Colonel
71
Rep
1,652
Posts

Drives: SO F80, Ghibli & Tesla 70D
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Thanks W///.

Went by the same road yesterday where the TCklines on my 335 used to bottom out and the car absorbed it with no issues.

It will also help if others can chime in with their alignment/toe settings with ZCP and swift springs for street or track use.

Thanks guys.
__________________
__________________
Current Bimmer: '16 SO F80 (stock for as long as possible)
Gone but never forgotten: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, volks/advan, Akra Evo, Kics R40
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #78
MasterP
Lieutenant Colonel
193
Rep
1,560
Posts

Drives: Alpine White E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (6)

I'm -1.9 F, and -1.9 R. Pretty much maxed out with stock components. I'm using new E92 bumpstops.

I have ZCP dampers and stock EDC and stock sway bars.

My wheel setup was 19X9.5 +25 F 255/35-19 and 19X10.5 +22 275/30-19 Mich PSS.

With the alignment setting I never rubbed front or rear, and I really was never in any danger to.

With that alignment the car seemed to have a little less stabilty under hard braking but handling in corners was much better. It was a big improvement on sweepers or high speed corners with lots of track out. Tighter corners I could tell a little less. That was my observation from the most recent track event I participated in.

On the street, the car drives mostly like stock. It is a bit firmer on harder bumps, I won't go as far as saying it "crashes" on the bump stops, but there is noticable difference in ride stiffness.

Ride hieght wise I wish the front was a tad higher. You might as well forget about having a lip spoiler on. My challenge GT lip is trashed in only a few weeks. I'm glad I bought it used.

I plan on having a different tire setup in the next coming weeks followed by another alignment.
__________________
Scott P.
E92 M3 - Track Rental
F80 M3 - The groceries won't get themselves.
Mclaren MP4-12C - ATS Package
F85 X5M - Work Truck
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #79
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
3,012
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Has anyone tried pairing these with lowering springs? Maybe a good way to retain edc?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...-with-edc.aspx
Wow, that's pretty cool. Never seen EDC compatible Bilsteins before.

I'd really just boot the EDC system and get coilovers though. But this is a good option for replacement EDC shocks if the stock shocks go.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #80
Hierlevelz
Captain
29
Rep
863
Posts

Drives: 11 AW E9X M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ENYC

iTrader: (9)

Harold looking to get a set in a few days for my E90M. What's the availability?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #81
81bear
First Lieutenant
25
Rep
343
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (3)

I know this is a somewhat old thread but since it was bumped I figured I would share an email response I got from swift regarding the use of e36 Bumpstops.

Swift:

We designed the springs to work with the Stock M3 bumpstops. We have done all the testing needed to see that the springs were a proper fit for the shocks as it comes from the factory.
That being said we have nothing against someone modifying the bumpstops to work with their setup. We know many users use the E36 bumpstops and have been very happy with it. They will not affect the way the springs perform, the user would just have more stroke through its travel before hitting the bumpstop. The E90 bumpstops we tested has a smoother longer progression in rate, so hitting the first part of it will not really affect the suspension movement.


I've recently purchased these springs and plan on installing the e36 bumpstops as they are low cost and increase suspenision travel.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #82
swifty
Lieutenant Colonel
71
Rep
1,652
Posts

Drives: SO F80, Ghibli & Tesla 70D
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I'm -1.9 F, and -1.9 R. Pretty much maxed out with stock components. I'm using new E92 bumpstops.

I have ZCP dampers and stock EDC and stock sway bars.

My wheel setup was 19X9.5 +25 F 255/35-19 and 19X10.5 +22 275/30-19 Mich PSS.

With the alignment setting I never rubbed front or rear, and I really was never in any danger to.

With that alignment the car seemed to have a little less stabilty under hard braking but handling in corners was much better. It was a big improvement on sweepers or high speed corners with lots of track out. Tighter corners I could tell a little less. That was my observation from the most recent track event I participated in.

On the street, the car drives mostly like stock. It is a bit firmer on harder bumps, I won't go as far as saying it "crashes" on the bump stops, but there is noticable difference in ride stiffness.

Ride hieght wise I wish the front was a tad higher. You might as well forget about having a lip spoiler on. My challenge GT lip is trashed in only a few weeks. I'm glad I bought it used.

I plan on having a different tire setup in the next coming weeks followed by another alignment.
What were your toe settings? I'm wondering if that had to do with less stability under hard braking.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #83
MasterP
Lieutenant Colonel
193
Rep
1,560
Posts

Drives: Alpine White E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (6)

Old post.

No stability under braking was caused by DTC70 Pads on MPSS tires on a cold surface.

In addition to a dying DSC/ABS module. That has to be over a year old post. Swift R springs off my car since Jan 2013.
__________________
Scott P.
E92 M3 - Track Rental
F80 M3 - The groceries won't get themselves.
Mclaren MP4-12C - ATS Package
F85 X5M - Work Truck
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #84
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
4231
Rep
6,784
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
Old post.

No stability under braking was caused by DTC70 Pads on MPSS tires on a cold surface.

In addition to a dying DSC/ABS module. That has to be over a year old post. Swift R springs off my car since Jan 2013.
Why you decided to take the Swifts off your car ?
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #85
Shredicus
Captain
Shredicus's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
732
Posts

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: WA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Why you decided to take the Swifts off your car ?
Went to full coilover setup if I had to guess
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #86
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
4231
Rep
6,784
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Went to full coilover setup if I had to guess
Probably yes .
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #87
MasterP
Lieutenant Colonel
193
Rep
1,560
Posts

Drives: Alpine White E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
Old post.

No stability under braking was caused by DTC70 Pads on MPSS tires on a cold surface.

In addition to a dying DSC/ABS module. That has to be over a year old post. Swift R springs off my car since Jan 2013.
Why you decided to take the Swifts off your car ?
Yes. Went to full CO. Dumping OEM EDC dampers saved a lot of weight. Swift R springs are good but stiffer rates needed for my setup.
__________________
Scott P.
E92 M3 - Track Rental
F80 M3 - The groceries won't get themselves.
Mclaren MP4-12C - ATS Package
F85 X5M - Work Truck
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 01:35 AM   #88
chamba002
Private First Class
34
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (5)

Im on Swift Spec R springs and rides great. I would say the Swifts are slightly stiffer than stock. I have EDC on my car and the suspension has a "plus one" feel. For example on normal (no lights EDC button) feels like the stiffness on sport EDC (one light emitted on EDC button) in a stock m3. On sport EDC my m3 has a sport plus EDC stiffness on a stock m3 and on sport plus EDC my m3 felt more like sport plus plus. Stiffer but not bouncy on bumps but you will feel more feedback on the road surface.

I took the car to Circuit of the Americas and it was an improvement. I did one session with sport EDC (one light emitted) and the M3 feels planted with mild body roll, and no understeer. Then I ran another session on sport plus EDC (two lights emitted on EDC button). The car felt firmer, stiffer, and more planted on the track, than on sport EDC. Minimal body roll (at least what I felt), no understeer and the car felt sharper. I can just point the car to the apex and it will hit the apex.

Im also on 18x10.5 Volk TE37RT, with 265/35/18 front and 275/35/18 rear. My camber is -1.9 all around. Im sure these helped too but the overall performance felt more balanced than stock and no understeer noted. When the M3 does oversteer, it is predicable and controllable. I would recommend Swift Spec R springs for anyone that wants to improve the handling on M3 but not sacrifice ride comfort.

[IMG]Untitled by Chamba, on Flickr[/IMG]





The Swift springs are not a replacement for coil-overs, but for tracking 1-3x a year it's perfect. Coil-overs are nice because of the adjustably and handles better but the ride can get too stiff and uncomfortable especially on rough roads. I had coil-overs on other cars and those felt a lot more stiffer then my M3. Another reason I chose Swift springs over coil-overs is because I didn't want to lose my EDC function. Its nice to have that adjustably on the go. Yeah I know coil-overs have adjustable dampening but its annoying to pop the hood or go under the car to adjust it a couple of clicks.

There really isn't any need to get coil-overs if you don't track your car often unless you want to go lower then springs.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
spec-r, springs, suspension, swift, track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST