BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

ESS Tuning

09-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #45
TrakBch
Lieutenant

Drives: Alpine White E92

I'm under the understanding that These Swift Spec R springs were made to use the Original E92 Bumpstops?
F80 M3 DCT, CCB - In case the other two are broken
      09-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #46
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I'm under the understanding that These Swift Spec R springs were made to use the Original E92 Bumpstops?
They are.... READ POST #41
lsmkr01 is offline   United_States
      09-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #47
TrakBch
Lieutenant

Thanks. I was hoping someone other than a vendor would confirm it. Looks like most people are still putting Other Bumpstops in. I just bought these springs and we're putting them in now - so I hope they're right!
      09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #48
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping someone other than a vendor would confirm it. Looks like most people are still putting Other Bumpstops in. I just bought these springs and we're putting them in now - so I hope they're right!
You'll be riding on the bumpstops, not a good thing. Depending on how you drive, you may not notice it. From my experience with lowering springs compared to the wonderful stock suspension, if you cut down your travel, you lose grip and anything over rough pavement is unsettling. It's best to retain oem travel, it'll give you more grip and a better overall ride...hard cornering and power down grip wasn't as good as stock. Keep in mind, BMW designed a great all around suspension, the stock dampers/springs are a beautiful match. Lowering springs change the character of that match. It'll be firmer and initially sharper on turn in but there's more to it than that.
Denk is offline   United_States
      09-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #49
TrakBch
Lieutenant

My observation has been the car exhibits increased body roll when you increase mechanical grip from wider tires/stickier tires.

I agree in general the M3s suspension is fine.

I finished the installation earlier tonight. It needs to be aligned, but so far the car rides like stock. It may be modestly firmer but I honestly can't tell right now.
      09-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #50
SlowSaloonM3
Major General

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

do these really benefit an otherwise stock suspension? Never thought sleeves or springs did anything to gain performance (if anything hinders it).

When is this episode coming?!
My thoughts on M5/6 vs M3/4...i wonder if tuned panamera turbo S owners are laughing at gt3 owners because they have "no chance in a race"
      09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #51
SpiralOut
Captain

Drives: 2013 M3

I installed mine and used e36 m3 bumpstops. Also shaved down guide supports about .2". Still think i need to shave a bit more to get it back to factory travel amount for best ride. I do bottom but only on big bumps or dips. Go to track tomorrow so will see how it does there.
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
      09-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #52
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E82 1M
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Yes, that is correct.
HP Autosport is online now   United_States
      09-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #53
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

About to install mine on Saturday, with e36 bumpstops. Figured since i was there, might as well...
      09-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #54
M3_Montreal_SSII
First Lieutenant

Drives: like I stole it

Getting mine installed today!!! I can't wait!

E92 ///M3 (DCT) Silverstone II Metallic
M3_Montreal_SSII is offline   Canada
      10-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #55
SROC5
Addicted to Track

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
About to install mine on Saturday, with e36 bumpstops. Figured since i was there, might as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Montreal_SSII View Post
Getting mine installed today!!! I can't wait!
Awesome, hope the review helped that out Post picts and your thoughts on how accurate my review was in your opinion.

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
      10-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #56
///Lyubm
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 ZCP m3

So after reading all of the post its still unclear to me if there is any benefit to using e36 bumpstops with these since it was designed for oem bumpstops?
      10-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #57
SROC5
Addicted to Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lyubm View Post
So after reading all of the post its still unclear to me if there is any benefit to using e36 bumpstops with these since it was designed for oem bumpstops?
The only way you can answer this for yourself is to call Swift USA and ask them. That's what I did, and I determined my own preference would be to change the stops to increase travel that I'm losing by lowering the car.

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
      10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #58
JuzMe
Private First Class

Did anyone manage to get answer from Swift whether E36 bumpstops required?
      10-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #59
swifty
Major

Drives: FO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
The only way you can answer this for yourself is to call Swift USA and ask them. That's what I did, and I determined my own preference would be to change the stops to increase travel that I'm losing by lowering the car.
Which bumpstops did you go with. Both front and back? I'm planning on putting eibachs and are they lower than these swifts? Car hasn't come in yet but want to do it all in one step.

Current: FO e92 M3
      10-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #60
HP Autosport

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
Did anyone manage to get answer from Swift whether E36 bumpstops required?
No, E36 bump stops aren't required. Swifts designed these springs with proper rates, NOT progressive rate that are too soft for a lowered ride height(reduced bump travel).
      10-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #61
///Lyubm
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
No, E36 bump stops aren't required. Swifts designed these springs with proper rates, NOT progressive rate that are too soft for a lowered ride height(reduced bump travel).
Thanks! not required, but will it help increase travel further or it would make no difference?
      10-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #62
HP Autosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lyubm View Post
Thanks! not required, but will it help increase travel further or it would make no difference?
Anytime you use a shorter bump stop you are increasing compression travel, but it's highly unlikely you will need the additional travel.
      10-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #63
SROC5
Addicted to Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Which bumpstops did you go with. Both front and back? I'm planning on putting eibachs and are they lower than these swifts? Car hasn't come in yet but want to do it all in one step.
Eibachs are not lower than Swifts. I used E36 bumpstops in the front, rears you don't need to touch. I recommend you call up Harold @ HP Autosport as well, I think you should really consider Swifts vs. Eibachs. Eibach drop is basically the same height as the Competition Package.

10-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #64
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Eibachs are not lower than Swifts. I used E36 bumpstops in the front, rears you don't need to touch. I recommend you call up Harold @ HP Autosport as well, I think you should really consider Swifts vs. Eibachs. Eibach drop is basically the same height as the Competition Package.
+1. I went with E36 bump stop anyway (only an extra $40), figured while I was in there, might as well.

Really happy with the ride height.
Attached Images

10-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #65
JuzMe
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
+1. I went with E36 bump stop anyway (only an extra $40), figured while I was in there, might as well.

Really happy with the ride height.
That looks great!
      10-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #66
SpiralOut
Captain

Drives: 2013 M3

My opinion is yes, go with the e36 M3 bumpstops. Even though they say they are not required, I went with e36 bumpstops and shaved my guide supports down about .2". The ride is very good and handling at the track is greatly improved. If I could go back I would shave about another .2 to .3" from the guide supports to just to give me a little more travel (currently i only have about .2" of travel up front versus the .5" they have with stock ZCP setup). Only 2 issues I have now are some occasional bottoming out over large bumps or big dips in the road and car does get slightly unsettled when hitting mid-corner bumps due to the fact that it's leaning hard on the front bumpstops when you're really pushing it. My local track is smooth so i had no issues there.... mainly just notice this on the road... off ramps, etc.

Just my 2 cents. I'm very happy with the Swift Springs though. Great product if you want to improve handling while keeping EDC.
SpiralOut is offline   United_States