BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
MTM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Question on OEM Rotor life

Hi, All.

What kind of life do you all get out of your stock OEM rotors? My '09 is a daily driver with almost 75k miles. Am expecting to change pads soon and was wondering if I need to worry about rotors yet.

Any general advice would be appreciated (if I wasn't so lazy I would pull the wheels and measure them...but I thought asking here first would give me a good indicator).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
dparm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Hi, All.

What kind of life do you all get out of your stock OEM rotors? My '09 is a daily driver with almost 75k miles. Am expecting to change pads soon and was wondering if I need to worry about rotors yet.

Any general advice would be appreciated (if I wasn't so lazy I would pull the wheels and measure them...but I thought asking here first would give me a good indicator).

It's really hard to say since everyone's driving styles are so different.

That being said, the OEM rotors are quite thick and plenty of folks have gone well past 50k on them. It's in BMW's financial interests to make them last longer than the free maintenance period so that they don't have to shell out for replacement, of course. 75k doesn't seem impossible, but I suspect you're down near the minimum thickness by now.

It only takes a few minutes to remove the wheel and measure them...so you may as well before getting the pads put on.
      02-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
MTM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Yeah...will probably end up taking them off and measuring soon...good chance to clean the inside of the wheels anyway.

Would anyone happen to have the acceptance specs for rotor thickness?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:43 AM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Yeah...will probably end up taking them off and measuring soon...good chance to clean the inside of the wheels anyway.

Would anyone happen to have the acceptance specs for rotor thickness?
Minimum thickness is engraved on the rotor hat.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:25 AM   #5
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, IB/FR/Bk

Correct. Typically, it's 1.6 mm less than when new. I'm pretty sure the fronts are at 30 mm new. So, 28.4 mm is the minimum thickness. I'm less certain about the rears. However, I want to say the numbers there are 28 and 26.4 mm, respectively, for new and minimum
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:31 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 0| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmethemuumuu View Post
Correct. Typically, it's 1.6 mm less than when new. I'm pretty sure the fronts are at 30 mm new. So, 28.4 mm is the minimum thickness. I'm less certain about the rears. However, I want to say the numbers there are 28 and 26.4 mm, respectively, for new and minimum
That sounds accurate. Been a while but with just street use most get good long service life out of them.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #7
tdott
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Mine is at 92k and I'm pretty sure they have never been replaced but not 100%.

I have my finger over the order button, but they show no signs of trouble right now, I never actually measured them but I would guess they are probably at minimum thickness.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you are doing your first pad change at 75k, I would expect your rotors to be fine. Track use is what wears pads and rotors fast.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #9
dparm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

OP, are you planning to stick with OEM pads, or are you changing to something else? You certainly can do that, but you'd need to re-bed the new pads so that there's a fresh amount of new pad material on the old rotors.