BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #89
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Charlie@McKennaBMWService's Avatar
3
Rep
348
Posts


 
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: 10900 Firestone Blvd Norwalk, CA 90650

iTrader: (2)

Is there any spots opened still? Do you have to attend both days?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #90
e92livin
Captain
e92livin's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
935
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
Shift Sector needs to come east!
+1 if it was somewhere East I would drive my car down, I wanna see how my Gintani 6MT M3 would do against a DCT one thats boosted.. I know i'd loose but by how much... lol
__________________
2008 E92 BMW M3 MR/BB 6MT
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Hankook RS-3 |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon Variant 2 Splitter|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot|
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #91
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Is there any spots opened still? Do you have to attend both days?
I think there are spectator tickets available but not to race unfortunately. Saturday sold out in a few minutes. Sunday sold out in a few days. This event had become fairly popular.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #92
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Our 1200 whp M3.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #93
leigh
Major
leigh's Avatar
20
Rep
1,103
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Our 1200 whp M3.
Really? Haha
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #94
leigh
Major
leigh's Avatar
20
Rep
1,103
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I think there are spectator tickets available but not to race unfortunately. Saturday sold out in a few minutes. Sunday sold out in a few days. This event had become fairly popular.
What tire set up do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #95
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
What tire set up do you have?
I was thinking about using my 18" track set up with RS3's (285 35 18) but the more I practiced with them the more I noticed that they didn't grip as well as my street set up (stock 19" ZCP wheels with Michelin PSS 275 35 19) unless the RS3's were hot.

I remember Joe@Trinity using the RS3 tires at AA2 and he couldn't hook up at all. Very frustrating.

Because there is not much opportunity to get heat in the tires other than a quick burn out, I'm going to stick with the PSS this time. I get some tire spin with the PSS but it isn't unmanageable, particularly when paired with Euro MDM. Prevents uncontrollable spin at least. A nice compromise.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w

Last edited by Longboarder; 10-03-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #96
leigh
Major
leigh's Avatar
20
Rep
1,103
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I was thinking about using my 18" track set up with RS3's (285 35 18) but the more I practiced with them the more I noticed that they didn't grip as well as my street set up (stock 19" ZCP wheels with Michelin PSS 275 35 19) unless the RS3's were hot.

I remember Joe@Trinity using the RS3 tires at AA2 and he couldn't hook up at all. Very frustrating.

Because there is not much opportunity to get heat in the tires other than a quick burn out, I'm going to stick with the PSS this time. I get some tire spin with the PSS but it isn't unmanageable, particularly when paired with Euro MDM. Prevents uncontrollable spin at least. A nice compromise.
Right now I've got 295 PSS on the same 19s as you and I'm getting wheel spin do you think a 275 ad08r would be better some people are telling me to go smaller tires maybe I'll get a 275 r888 I don't know what to do and I need tires haha
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #97
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
Right now I've got 295 PSS on the same 19s as you and I'm getting wheel spin do you think a 275 ad08r would be better some people are telling me to go smaller tires maybe I'll get a 275 r888 I don't know what to do and I need tires haha
I'm no tire expert but I would think the 275 would give you a much better contact patch than the 295 on a 10" wheel. Don't forget tire pressure is very important as well and you need to do the conversion when you go with any different tire than what came with the car from the factory. Malek@MRF did the calculation conversion on my PSS set up and found that it needed to run 33psi F and 32psi R with the 255 35 19 F and 275 35 19 R PSS setup vs the stock setup of (245F/265R) of 35psi F and 36psi R.

I have found that the PSS are terrific in virtually every condition, including tracking and roll-on racing EXCEPT when it gets 80+ degrees at the track...and then they just melt after a couple hard laps. Otherwise, they are fantastic, particularly when cold.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #98
leigh
Major
leigh's Avatar
20
Rep
1,103
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I'm no tire expert but I would think the 275 would give you a much better contact patch than the 295 on a 10" wheel. Don't forget tire pressure is very important as well and you need to do the conversion when you go with any different tire than what came with the car from the factory. Malek@MRF did the calculation conversion on my PSS set up and found that it needed to run 33psi F and 32psi R with the 255 35 19 F and 275 35 19 R PSS setup vs the stock setup of (245F/265R) of 35psi F and 36psi R.

I have found that the PSS are terrific in virtually every condition, including tracking and roll-on racing EXCEPT when it gets 80+ degrees at the track...and then they just melt after a couple hard laps. Otherwise, they are fantastic, particularly when cold.
How do you think a 285re11 would go?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #99
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
How do you think a 285re11 would go?
Drew runs the 285 35 19 on his ESS VT3 775 and it hooks up very well. Probably better than the PSS.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #100
leigh
Major
leigh's Avatar
20
Rep
1,103
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Drew runs the 285 35 19 on his ESS VT3 775 and it hooks up very well. Probably better than the PSS.
Do you think it would be better then a 275 ad08r on comp wheels?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #101
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
Do you think it would be better then a 275 ad08r on comp wheels?
All these tires have been testing but usually its for tracking.

There isn't much, if any, testing data for "bite" for a roll-on WOT or from a stop with cars like ours.

The thing about tires like RS3s (140 treadwear) or AD08s (180 treadwear), it may take some heat in them to get them to hook up well in straight line acceleration. But once they are hot they are fantastic (like any track tire really).

The PSS is 300 treadwear and so these tires don't need as much heat in them to grip. However they tend to melt when pushed at the track on a hot day. The RE11 is 200 treadwear and is probably the best all around tire if you only want one set of tires.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #102
leigh
Major
leigh's Avatar
20
Rep
1,103
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Where are the videos at!?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #103
Blipit_
Captain
11
Rep
967
Posts

 
Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

^
Here is one. I believe this is the OP's car.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #104
jeongsikkim
Private First Class
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West L.A CA

iTrader: (0)

I danced but i was still stuck at the front gate
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #105
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
^
Here is one. I believe this is the OP's car.
Go Dave (SRanch)! I got my ass handed to me on that one. Still 5-1 against Dave but my car pulled a lot of timing up top in the afternoon of both days as it was 90 degrees and like 120+ on the black tarmac. Not good for the S/C M3's.

I"ll post a compilation vid shortly...but the results weren't very good except in the early morning.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #106
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,498
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
I don't have any. But the good news is I came in 2nd place in the BMW/AMG challenge with a 165.8 MPH trap and Alex from Gintani took first with a Gintani Built motor YSI car, running 18-19psi, he hit 173MPH! Which is a very impressive trap. There were some big power AMG's there ~700-750whp competing against us, and we were still able to out trap them! However both cars had issues so there wasn't a chance to run against each other to compare the difference.

FWIW, if the Lab22 1000whp E46 M3's, mainly Marcus and Kenton, would have been running, as well as Jim's or Earl's Weistec 1000HP AMG C63's, I don't think Alex and I would have placed 1st or 2nd, but we'll take the BMW M3 sweep.

Regarding my issues, unfortunately my manifold kept lifting during all my runs at only ~12-13psi, and I couldn't get it to stay on, it would eventually lift, just as it has at the last 3 events, so this is becoming very frustrating. It actually lifted on the 165.8 MPH run as well, but near the end, on the last shift, if it hadn't I think I could have been close to 170. Hopefully I will have a solid fix for the next event, because otherwise the car runs great and is very fast.

For trap comparisons, an Aventador hit 155-159MPH. Built C6 Z06's that trap 140+ in the 1/4 mile hit, 163-168. Stock supercharged M3's, ESS VT2-625 cars and Tightie's Gintani Stage 2, hit 149-152MPH.

Big thank you to ESS, Alekshop and EAS for attempting to fix the manifold with what we had at the track on Sat., and on and fixing a shredded belt for me on Sunday! Nonetheless, it was fun, great seeing all of those incredible cars and friends.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq

Last edited by DLSJ5; 10-07-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #107
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,498
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Go Dave (SRanch)! I got my ass handed to me on that one. Still 5-1 against Dave but my car pulled a lot of timing up top in the afternoon of both days as it was 90 degrees and like 120+ on the black tarmac. Not good for the S/C M3's.

I"ll post a compilation vid shortly...but the results weren't very good except in the early morning.
Adam, great seeing and hanging with you buddy! Is that the completely gutted 335I that you ran, he made 550whp?
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #108
SYZ
Lieutenant
SYZ's Avatar
8
Rep
459
Posts

 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
my car pulled a lot of timing up top in the afternoon of both days as it was 90 degrees and like 120+ on the black tarmac. Not good for the S/C M3's.
Real shame to hear. I was hoping your meth setup would have prevented timing being pulled. Were you running it?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #109
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
1
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I don't have any. But the good news is I came in 2nd place in the BMW/AMG challenge with a 165.8 MPH trap and Alex from Gintani took first with a Gintani Built motor YSI car, running 18-19psi, he hit 173MPH! Which is a very impressive trap. There were some big power AMG's there ~700-750whp competing against us, and we were still able to out trap them! However both cars had issues so there wasn't a chance to run against each other to compare the difference.

FWIW, if the Lab22 1000whp E46 M3's, mainly Marcus and Kenton, would have been running, as well as Jim's or Earl's Weistec 1000HP AMG C63's, I don't think Alex and I would have placed 1st or 2nd, but we'll take the BMW M3 sweep.

Regarding my issues, unfortunately my manifold kept lifting during all my runs at only ~12-13psi, and I couldn't get it to stay on, it would eventually lift, just as it has at the last 3 events, so this is becoming very frustrating. It actually lifted on the 165.8 MPH run as well, but near the end, on the last shift, if it hadn't I think I could have been close to 170. Hopefully I will have a solid fix for the next event, because otherwise the car runs great and is very fast.

For trap comparisons, an Aventador hit 155-159MPH. Built C6 Z06's that trap 140+ in the 1/4 mile hit, 163-168. Stock supercharged M3's, ESS VT2-625 cars and Tightie's Gintani Stage 2, hit 149-152MPH.

Big thank you to ESS, Alekshop and EAS for attempting to fix the manifold with what we had at the track on Sat., and on and fixing a shredded belt for me on Sunday! Nonetheless, it was fun, great seeing all of those incredible cars and friends.
It was a good event with tons of very fast cars. I was looking forward to see the lab Lab22 cars run but I think they were having issues. I think one of them blew the motor on Sunday. You almost need 600 whp at this event now to compete as the bar keeps getting raised. Compared to the last event this one I believe had even faster cars. I was expecting the Weistec AMG cars to do better. Like you said it was BMW owning the top spots which was nice to see.

Your car had a few very solid runs Drew. Considering you are at 12-13 psi you had a very solid trap speed compared to cars running much higher HP. What impresses me most is that you drive your car to and from these events, unlike most who trailor them. Your car is a daily driver and not just a event car which I would have expected it to be. I saw you guys trying to fix the manifold issue on Saturday. It sounds like you guys are working on a permanent fix which I think is needed at your boost level or if you plan to go higher. Even with some of the issues you had at least you were able to drive home which is always a good thing. I will hit you up next time im in CA we will get a beer and you can take me for a test drive

When you play at the extreme power level like most of the cars at these events you are going to have issues and they usually show up when you don't want them to. I think I saw the Gintani stage 3 M3 up on jacks Sunday. I believe it was having issues also as it was much slower on Sunday running 160's than Saturday running 170's, maybe someone that knows for sure can confirm. There were several cars with issues, some small and some not so small which is expected at events like this where everyone is pushing the limits. There was a wicked fast GTR trapping 210+ that blew up on Saturday and many cars being towed off the track all weekend. If you want to play you got to pay.

Looking forward to the next event and hopefully the temps will be lower as it was a bit hot at this event. Also looking forward to all the videos which I know are coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #110
kchu221
JDM whore
kchu221's Avatar
South Korea
45
Rep
3,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: los angeles

iTrader: (9)

damn... wish I made it to this event... hopefully the next event ill have my new car and ready to play with you big boys!
__________________
2009 Porsche 911 Turbo
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST