BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
KwlAznKid
Colonel
 
KwlAznKid's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Irvine/Fremont, CA/ University of California San Diego Alum

Posts: 2,407
iTrader: (4)

Where's your money invested in?

I swear there was a thread already about this but I can't seem to find it so apologies if this is a repost.

curious to see where your money's invested in, kids/adults who live off mommy and daddy's money need not reply.


I've considered
-real estate
-stocks
-currency


if you had 20K to invest how would you split it up? and how much in each area?


on a side note does anyone here flip houses? i'd be interested in chatting with you
__________________
BMW E92 328I /BMW E46 M3 /Mercedes Benz W209 CLK500 /BMW E92 335I(sold)/Porsche 996 911 C2(sold)/BMW E46 325CI(totaled)
KwlAznKid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Patrick719
Lieutenant
 
Patrick719's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Fast
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Posts: 413
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to Patrick719
Betamax and HD DVD. I hear they are both making a comeback. :P

I invest in real estate and stocks. There is a great thread in this section called Stock Market Thread.
__________________
2010 RRSS Autobiography - #7 resonator delete
2008 335xi Coupe - sold

Patrick719 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
kids/adults who live off mommy and daddy's money need not reply.
Well, bosster hymen is out then. Although I am sure he will reply anyway.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

20k is not a lot to invest in anything.

You can do stocks but it will have a small yield or a bigger one if you dont mind a much higher risk.
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

I always get a kick out of this irrational hatred towards trust fund kids
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
kevinbahnz
Lieutenant
 
kevinbahnz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ma-NC

Posts: 478
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
20k is not a lot to invest in anything.

You can do stocks but it will have a small yield or a bigger one if you dont mind a much higher risk.
There's got to be something better than keeping that in a savings or CD.
__________________
<img src=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z164/kevinbahnz/08-23-2008030.jpg border=0 alt= />
kevinbahnz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,160
iTrader: (0)

I'm very surprised that no one has said "Hookers & Blow".

What is happening with the OT?!?!
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
KwlAznKid
Colonel
 
KwlAznKid's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Irvine/Fremont, CA/ University of California San Diego Alum

Posts: 2,407
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
20k is not a lot to invest in anything.

You can do stocks but it will have a small yield or a bigger one if you dont mind a much higher risk.
I just pulled the number out of my ass, I guess I should have said what %-tage is invested in what, I thought by putting a number out it would help for some reason lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I always get a kick out of this irrational hatred towards trust fund kids
not hate, jealousy , i'm just bitter my parents don't pay for me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbahnz View Post
There's got to be something better than keeping that in a savings or CD.
yep exactly what i'm thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Do all UCSD grads end sentences in prepositions?
yes? no? probably not? what? no? ok? bye?
__________________
BMW E92 328I /BMW E46 M3 /Mercedes Benz W209 CLK500 /BMW E92 335I(sold)/Porsche 996 911 C2(sold)/BMW E46 325CI(totaled)
KwlAznKid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,872
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Still waiting for my Detroit Municipal bonds to pay off.
__________________
Mark
Randomography
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Washington State

Posts: 301
iTrader: (2)

If any of us knew how to invest, we would be on the Lambo and Ferrari forum and not here.
__________________
Currently own: 1965 Backdraft Cobra Replica, 2013 Raptor, 2009 Scion XB and 2004 Malibu VLX
Malibu1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e93
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alhambra

Posts: 247
iTrader: (0)

for me 20k. I would do in this order, 30k + Id do #3 then #2 then #1

1. take it to vegas (high risk, some chance to double)

2. Scott trade or low cost stock trading option
- gotta know what you are doing or just as risky as las vegas

3. Financial Investor
- they basically do option 2 for you and steal 1% on the back end
- semi safe route

4. Rolling cash from one bank to another bank that gives free money.
- fastest way to make small amount of cash that beats CDs and interest
- ie chase open a checkings account they give u $150, you do this at many banks and move money around in circles

fk
firstkill is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkill View Post
for me 20k. I would do in this order, 30k + Id do #3 then #2 then #1

1. take it to vegas (high risk, some chance to double)

2. Scott trade or low cost stock trading option
- gotta know what you are doing or just as risky as las vegas

3. Financial Investor
- they basically do option 2 for you and steal 1% on the back end
- semi safe route

4. Rolling cash from one bank to another bank that gives free money.
- fastest way to make small amount of cash that beats CDs and interest
- ie chase open a checkings account they give u $150, you do this at many banks and move money around in circles

fk
4 sounds pretty creative I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Honestly though if it was me, I'd probably invest it all in a diversity of stocks.

Maybe buy 2 shares of Apple (5%), a share of Google (5%), ~20 shares of Conoco Philips (5%), 50 shares of facebook (5%), Chipotle (5%), McDonald's (5%), Pepsi (5%), Cocoa Cola (5%), Intel (5%), Dell (5%), Samsung (5%) etc. etc.

Maybe get some biotech in there.

Only do this if you're young enough and you're willing to take on quite a bit of risk. I would never advise someone nearing retirement age to just randomly pick stocks like this.

If you wanted to be super conservative, you could just invest it all in an index fund that as already done the job of diversification for you.

Note: I know absolutely nothing about investing so take my advice with a grain of salt.
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
 
Colt's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

I have some stocks, CD, IRA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
side note does anyone here flip houses? i'd be interested in chatting with you
My parents used to flip houses. Don't really do it much anymore. Knowing the right people helps a lot...my mom is the broker for her own small real estate company so she has dealt with a lot of different companies, for just about anything that involves a home being remodeled. So that helped with money when flipping a bit because of all the business we have given them in the past and present

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Chipotle
Made me want a burrito
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
looks like unicorn vomit.
Old| 2005 s2000: KPRO, Invidia q300 v4, PLM header, BERK 70mm HFC, Vortech v2 (3.6" Reichard Pulley), FMIC, ID 725cc (397whp/243tq @9psi), Tuned at Innovative Motorworks.
New| 2008 135i: PTF Tune, RB Turbos, ER CP, TiAL Q, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, AA 2.0 FMIC, VRSF 3" DPs, Berk Mids, CP-E Axleback, Robs' PCV.

Last edited by Colt; 07-23-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Colt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

If you don't need immediate returns, open up a vanguard account, buy one or two of their funds, and let that money stay there for at least few years.

https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,387
iTrader: (0)

Honestly not trying to be an ass here but $20k isn't really enough to get serious. I'd keep most of it in cash for when you need it and put $5,500 in a Roth if you can.

Or open a brokerage account at Ameritrade and put it in VTI or similar. Cheap, simple, liquid, and effective long term.
BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Honestly not trying to be an ass here but $20k isn't really enough to get serious. I'd keep most of it in cash for when you need it and put $5,500 in a Roth if you can.

Or open a brokerage account at Ameritrade and put it in VTI or similar. Cheap, simple, liquid, and effective long term.
I was thinking the same but he said 20k is just a random # he threw out.
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
I was thinking the same but he said 20k is just a random # he threw out.
Yeah...I guess you have to start somewhere. I had $10k in my first account but that was after maxing my Ira and 401k plus 1 year savings.

On a side note, the market looks unattractive to me now. All time highs may go higher but it just doesn't feel right. I might miss some upside but the downside is coming in the next few years. I will be ready when blood is in the streets. Besides my 401k and IRAs, I'm 95% cash. I get antsy with so much cash but the time will come.

GLD interests me some.
BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,387
iTrader: (0)

Forget flipping. Most of the great deals are gone and you need a lot of cash. Just my opinion.
BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
boostedTIAG335
New Member
 
boostedTIAG335's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South of Canada, North of Mexico

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
4 sounds pretty creative I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Honestly though if it was me, I'd probably invest it all in a diversity of stocks.

Maybe buy 2 shares of Apple (5%), a share of Google (5%), ~20 shares of Conoco Philips (5%), 50 shares of facebook (5%), Chipotle (5%), McDonald's (5%), Pepsi (5%), Cocoa Cola (5%), Intel (5%), Dell (5%), Samsung (5%) etc. etc.

Maybe get some biotech in there.

Only do this if you're young enough and you're willing to take on quite a bit of risk. I would never advise someone nearing retirement age to just randomly pick stocks like this.

If you wanted to be super conservative, you could just invest it all in an index fund that as already done the job of diversification for you.

Note: I know absolutely nothing about investing so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Clearly. Apple hasn't seen $600 a share for months now. Probably never will again. And correct me if I'm wrong, Facebook hasn't seen $38 a share since their IPO. Meaning, everyone that invested in Facebook lost money. I would be hesitant to invest in Dell too. Can you name the last innovative thing that have done recently? Neither can I.
__________________
2008 TIAG E92 335i 6MT
Mods: Tinted Windows (35%), Aero Lip and JB3...for now
boostedTIAG335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Nkc
Captain
 
Nkc's Avatar
 
Drives: E89-Z4 35i, E36-MZ3, E82 1M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

Posts: 617
iTrader: (0)

$20k is more than enough to start investing and realizing gains. I doubt you'll be about to touch any real estate with that money but stocks, funds, and bonds can be a good place to start. Remember, no pain no gain. This whole financial market is not built to help you make money, its to help the people who run the game make money.

My honest advice, for the past 5 years of investing and the ridiculous returns or losses I had, I'd much rather buy a older classic car and enjoy it. It does't depreciate much and even has a chance to increase in value. Plus you actually get to drive it and enjoy it. I'm really bitter about the stock market in HK lol.
__________________
E89 Z4-35i DCT --- E36-Z3 M-Roadster --- E82-1M
Current BMW's
Nkc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #21
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,800
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
If any of us knew how to invest, we would be on the Lambo and Ferrari forum and not here.
Truth! hahahaahha?
grimlock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
 
upstatedoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (1)

Federal Thrift Savings Plan "L 2030".
__________________
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
upstatedoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST