BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Small Yellow's Avatar
Taiwan
25
Rep
779
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
^Nice drifting
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I never tracked with Speed Ventures before...if I'm going to do a 2:15-2:20 should get in the Purple group or the Black group? Do they allow you to move to a higher group if you are running a time low enough to get into the next higher group (I'm gonna get a transponder)?
I forgot which one is which but I would probably start in the lower group, SV drivers are faster than extreme speed drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I heard that some guys run water wetter and that helps with the heat, have you tried that?
I havn't tried that but yes I heard distilled water + water wetter is better for the heat.
__________________
BMW ///M3 Coupe
Completed November 16, 2009
Received December 29,2009
BMW //M Coupe
November 4, 2013
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #24
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I never tracked with Speed Ventures before...if I'm going to do a 2:15-2:20 (hopefully I'll run faster with a fresh pair of front tires and tightened up suspension) should get in the Purple group or the Black group? Do they allow you to move to a higher group if you are running a time low enough to get into the next higher group (I'm gonna get a transponder)?
Either one is fine. Yea, you can always move between groups.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #25
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT M3 View Post
I forgot which one is which but I would probably start in the lower group, SV drivers are faster than extreme speed drivers.
And, better cars.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I will be there on saturday.
Try to switch to Sunday. There are more drivers registered for Saturday.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #26
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Purple is above the novice group and Black is above Purple. I'll sign up for Purple and see how I'm doing with my times. I definitely don't want to be holding up anyone and keep giving point-bys so that I can't focus on my line.

Last edited by USCTrojanMan29; 07-23-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post

Try to switch to Sunday. There are more drivers registered for Saturday.
Hmmm -sounds like a good idea to run sundays the next time out. I just have a boat load of crap to do on Sunday....next time I will sign up for Sunday and maybe get a chance to meet you and get a ride along full of oh shit moments lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #28
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Do the SV guys run as fast at the PCA guys? The PCA are like 1-2 levels higher than BMW CCA guys (probably has to do with the cars and skill level).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
PandaM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

iTrader: (1)

Good time for a stock M3...

Buttonwillow is one of my favoritetracks. I ran it inmy M3 for the first time in May amd was getting 2:14's I think. I was taking it easy as this was my first time in a rwd car.

Prior to this I was getting into the 2:11's in my 2010 GTI, but was held back by an engine that would easily overheat... My other buddy in his 2010 GTI was in the 2:07's... Both modded equally but he had different software that kept the wngine cool.

But those cars are fwd and if the back came loose or car got unsettled you just mash the gas and it straightens back up... With the M3 I need to get used to the rear end coming loose before I can start pushing it harder...

But offramp is fun in the M3 as you can just powerslide through easily
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Hmmm -sounds like a good idea to run sundays the next time out. I just have a boat load of crap to do on Sunday....next time I will sign up for Sunday and maybe get a chance to meet you and get a ride along full of oh shit moments lol.
Well, Sundays aren't always less crowded than Saturdays. This past weekend at Buttonwillow was Extreme Speed's Redline Time Attack weekend and the TA sessions were scheduled for Sunday. So, Saturday was very light; whereas, Sunday was a full house.

Hah, (ride along, oh shit moments).


Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Good time for a stock M3...

Buttonwillow is one of my favoritetracks. I ran it inmy M3 for the first time in May amd was getting 2:14's I think. I was taking it easy as this was my first time in a rwd car.

Prior to this I was getting into the 2:11's in my 2010 GTI, but was held back by an engine that would easily overheat... My other buddy in his 2010 GTI was in the 2:07's... Both modded equally but he had different software that kept the wngine cool.

But those cars are fwd and if the back came loose or car got unsettled you just mash the gas and it straightens back up... With the M3 I need to get used to the rear end coming loose before I can start pushing it harder...

But offramp is fun in the M3 as you can just powerslide through easily
Yeah, I hear you. For first 12 months, I kept the MDM on for that reason. Wanted to first get used to the speeds and learn the tracks, as well as slowly absorb all the track-/tracking-related things.

And, off-ramp indeed is fun.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #31
Dartanium
Lieutenant
5
Rep
558
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

how is e92 compared to e90 on track, what made you switch platforms? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #32
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanium View Post
how is e92 compared to e90 on track, what made you switch platforms? Thanks
Well, having tracked E90 with JRZ, Brembo/Endless and NT01/TD tires for about past 12 months, and E92 just once in stock form, it's not apples-to-apples comparison.

But, in general, felt pretty much the same.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Jean View Post
Nice video Will be there this week-end with speed ventures. Hope to see you there.
There's a 90% chance that I'll be out there on Sunday...look for a white GT3 with an SC plate so if you see me there come say hi. I'll probably be there with a buddy who'll track his 2011 M3 that went into limp mode on the drive up this weekend (a throttle body sensor went back I believe).
Does your plate read usc cpa or something like that? I think there were two guys with usc pkate frames at fontana with bmw cca.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #34
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Just ran three sessions here today and gonna call it a day its so damn hot. Lot of people just powering through in the black group woth traction control off. Point car gets sideways wheels never turn but car magically straightens out lol.

I think from my next track days and on im gonna run in the slowest group with dsc off and learn some more car control. Driving with euro mdm and driving in a way where dsc does not engage is too slow!! In another im being too safe and need to grow some! Ha
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

^

I heard there were tons of cars going off yesterday during Open Test & Tune day.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings

Last edited by OC3; 07-28-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

He was there today. Ill post pics at home. Young chinese kids. There group was red chrome sls, sl65, gtr, m3, isf, and a....yaris on blue wheels. Ha



Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #37
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Ti-Jean's Avatar
3
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Just ran three sessions here today and gonna call it a day its so damn hot. Lot of people just powering through in the black group woth traction control off. Point car gets sideways wheels never turn but car magically straightens out lol.

I think from my next track days and on im gonna run in the slowest group with dsc off and learn some more car control. Driving with euro mdm and driving in a way where dsc does not engage is too slow!! In another im being too safe and need to grow some! Ha
I'm at BW as well. I stayed in AC/shade as much as I could and managed to run all my sessions. Definately warm! Come say Hi, not driving my M3 this week-end, I'm driving the Red Porsche GT3.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #38
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Does your plate read usc cpa or something like that? I think there were two guys with usc pkate frames at fontana with bmw cca.
Yup, that's my car. I was out at the BMW CCA event in May in the C group. I'm planning on heading out at the end of Sept.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #39
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Looks like a lot of fun. Excellent driving, as always , and great time for a stock M3.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #40
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

It was a good event on Sunday....I got to meet OC3 and Ti-Jean and a few other members on here. I was able to do a 2:12 and was shooting for a sub 2:10 but as it got hotter and hotter in the afternoon the track and my tires got more and more greasy.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #41
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

^Good meeting you too. Bad azz car you got!

Yeah, re: hotter, reminded me why I should not track during the summer, hah. Changing 4 wheels/tires under the 12pm scorching sun was not fun.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
^Good meeting you too. Bad azz car you got!

Yeah, re: hotter, reminded me why I should not track during the summer, hah. Changing 4 wheels/tires under the 12pm scorching sun was not fun.
Thank you sire. The 2:12 was during my 2nd session around 11:30am when it was still in the 90s which was about 1.5 seconds faster than my fast lap in the 1st session. I was set up for a possible sub 2:10 hot lap coming off of a warm up lap in the pole position with the blue group in the 4th session (when it was 106) when I had issues with greasy tires/track at bus stop and the sweeper.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Looks like a lot of fun. Excellent driving, as always , and great time for a stock M3.
Thanks bud


Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Thank you sire. The 2:12 was during my 2nd session around 11:30am when it was still in the 90s which was about 1.5 seconds faster than my fast lap in the 1st session. I was set up for a possible sub 2:10 hot lap coming off of a warm up lap in the pole position with the blue group in the 4th session (when it was 106) when I had issues with greasy tires/track at bus stop and the sweeper.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings

Last edited by OC3; 07-30-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #44
03///m3
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
301
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (1)

Looks like fun. I'm surprised the PS2's held up.. I only have 2 events this year (I just got my M3) and i'm debating just using my PS2's but i'm not sure they will hold up... i'm concerned they will either melt or cord. I'm debating on getting a set of AD08's or waiting until next season to get new tires.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST