BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #155
NavidM3E92
Lieutenant Colonel
 
NavidM3E92's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 on Order
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,852
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
It was either the r8 or the c2s. I went for the r8 and never looked back.
Good Choice.
__________________
'15 /// M4 On order
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP - Space Gray - Sold
'06 BMW 330CI ZHP- Sold
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP AW- Sold
'06 E46 ///M3 ZCP JB- Sold
NavidM3E92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #156
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidM3E92 View Post
Good Choice.
Thanks, I usually get tired of my rides within a few months but this ones got me hooked. I don't think I'll ever be able to let go of it. Got an apr flash and the car is insane even with stock exhaust. I ran a 458 the other day and was keeping up nicely.

Don't get me wrong I love the c2s, especially in agate grey but the price just didn't make sense. I drove it for an entire day, I really like the flat six and pdk but it just did not feel work 125k, but the r8 did.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #157
NavidM3E92
Lieutenant Colonel
 
NavidM3E92's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 on Order
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,852
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Thanks, I usually get tired of my rides within a few months but this ones got me hooked. I don't think I'll ever be able to let go of it. Got an apr flash and the car is insane even with stock exhaust. I ran a 458 the other day and was keeping up nicely.

Don't get me wrong I love the c2s, especially in agate grey but the price just didn't make sense. I drove it for an entire day, I really like the flat six and pdk but it just did not feel work 125k, but the r8 did.


Yeah thats why I would just go for the GT3.
__________________
'15 /// M4 On order
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP - Space Gray - Sold
'06 BMW 330CI ZHP- Sold
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP AW- Sold
'06 E46 ///M3 ZCP JB- Sold
NavidM3E92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #158
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidM3E92 View Post
Yeah thats why I would just go for the GT3.
I traded my 2010 gt3 for the r8. It's an incredible car, just can't dd it.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #159
NavidM3E92
Lieutenant Colonel
 
NavidM3E92's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 on Order
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,852
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I traded my 2010 gt3 for the r8. It's an incredible car, just can't dd it.
Not the 997 for sure but the 991 GT3 should be alot more comfortable
__________________
'15 /// M4 On order
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP - Space Gray - Sold
'06 BMW 330CI ZHP- Sold
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP AW- Sold
'06 E46 ///M3 ZCP JB- Sold
NavidM3E92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #160
Alex07M3
Banned
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

Posts: 1,972
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidM3E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I traded my 2010 gt3 for the r8. It's an incredible car, just can't dd it.
Not the 997 for sure but the 991 GT3 should be alot more comfortable
Annnnd A LOT FASTER!!!!!
Alex07M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #161
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Annnnd A LOT FASTER!!!!!
And close to 200k
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #162
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
And close to 200k
991 GT3 is no where near $200k. I have my allocation and have priced it at less than $140K and that is nicely optioned. You could add Ceramics and still be under $146K.

Love the R8 V10; great ride! Never been a fan of the 8 cylinder.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #163
bimmerj
Lieutenant
 
bimmerj's Avatar
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada

Posts: 436
iTrader: (0)

Very good choice, congrats. Sorry, I misunderstood supercar.
bimmerj is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #164
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
991 GT3 is no where near $200k. I have my allocation and have priced it at less than $140K and that is nicely optioned. You could add Ceramics and still be under $146K.

Love the R8 V10; great ride! Never been a fan of the 8 cylinder.
Wow great price. I was thinking they would be closer to 200k because when I was shopping for a brand new 997.2 I couldn't find any under 150k.

The 8 cylinder r8 was never an option for me.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #165
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFWM3 View Post
I am assuming decent used parts. Check the private classifieds.

Brakes $4,500
Akra Evo $4,000
K3 $1,500
Total $10,000


If you want to spend a little more take it out of the budget somewhere else, there is lots to play with.
I was gonna buy a 997.1 GT3 RS or possibly a early 997.2 GT3 this year until I recently found out that my wife is pregnant. Now I am stuck with my M3. I agree that Porsche's are better cars. After all I am a pcar guy. But I also agree that the new 991S is overpriced.

However, with that said. Since, I am keeping my M3 until it falls apart. I am starting my 997 911S killer build.

However I think its gonna cost me alot more than $10k.

Performance Mods So Far (MSRP):

KW Clubsports $3000
Stoptech ST40F BBK $2800
Stoptech Pads $200
ECS SS brakelines $125
BPM Tune $1000
MS Pulleys $400
MR rear section $600

subtotal: $8125

Soon (Next 8 months):
Solid diff mounts $200
AA HFC X-pipe $2300
18" track wheels/Tires (CCW LM20) $4500
Recaro Sportster CS $2800

Expected subtotal $9800

So total of $17,925.00

Hopefully this will get me closer to a 997 911S killer on the track. I eventually want to try to lighten this car up without having to make the inside too naked and make a 997 GT3 fighter.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #166
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
Beautiful car - you made the right decision.

Porsche is in big trouble with their 911. They need to cut the base 911 out of the lineup entirely, get the C2S prices down to where the base is, and limit the option-rape inflicted on customers. Things like sport chrono and PDK should be standard (or $0 options) on these cars.

And if you just have to have a Porsche 911, why would *anyone* pay $125k for a 991 C2S when you could get a lightly used 997.2 PDK Turbo for the same price? I guess I just don't understand what other people look for in their cars if new car smell trumps fun behind the wheel.
Yes I completely agree. I had my heart set on the 991 but 20k for just a few options like sport exhaust, Pdk, sport chrono, sport suspension and a few more I can't remember.... Just ridiculous. My love for Porsche soon turned into resentment and disgust. I mean 20k for just a few options!?!? I didn't even add the premium extended leather and premium seats. I looked into the turbo s but didn't like the way it sounded and not a fan of FI, once you get used to the speed in the turbo s, it will start to get boring, trust me. The engine in the r8 is much more responsive, exciting, and sounds amazing. Plus the mid engine layout and awd makes for an amazing confidence inspiring car in the twisties.

I happened to find the r8 right next door at the Audi dealership. Test drove it and fell in love. You really feel like your driving something truly special, unlike the Porsche and after a few days of intense negotiations, I managed to get a 1 year old (at the time) super car with under 9k miles for the same price as a run of the mill carrera s.

Last edited by KKM3; 07-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #167
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner
 
Darth One's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I was gonna buy a 997.1 GT3 RS or possibly a early 997.2 GT3 this year until I recently found out that my wife is pregnant. Now I am stuck with my M3. I agree that Porsche's are better cars. After all I am a pcar guy. But I also agree that the new 991S is overpriced.

However, with that said. Since, I am keeping my M3 until it falls apart. I am starting my 997 911S killer build.

However I think its gonna cost me alot more than $10k.

Performance Mods So Far (MSRP):

KW Clubsports $3000
Stoptech ST40F BBK $2800
Stoptech Pads $200
ECS SS brakelines $125
BPM Tune $1000
MS Pulleys $400
MR rear section $600

subtotal: $8125

Soon (Next 8 months):
Solid diff mounts $200
AA HFC X-pipe $2300
18" track wheels/Tires (CCW LM20) $4500
Recaro Sportster CS $2800

Expected subtotal $9800

So total of $17,925.00

Hopefully this will get me closer to a 997 911S killer on the track. I eventually want to try to lighten this car up without having to make the inside too naked and make a 997 GT3 fighter.
instead of doing all that, you might be able to retrofit seats into the GT3.
Darth One is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #168
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
instead of doing all that, you might be able to retrofit seats into the GT3.
My concern is babyseat space and money. I need to save my money for the family.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #169
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,651
iTrader: (5)

I recently sold my highly modded E90 M3, I now have a 2013 991 C4S.

The M3 is an amazing car, but the Porsche in terms of speed, change in direction, and raw grip is on another level, and it should be because its substantially more expensive. When I first got the Porsche I was thinking to myself, "is this thing really worth 2X the price"???? When you start to push it, and get it up to speed and out on a circuit, you do realize where the two cars differ.


I have had both cars out to the same tracks, and in completely stock form, the 991 is faster and very easy to drive, they have done a very good job of making the current gen very neutral.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #170
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
 
JFWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA

Posts: 262
iTrader: (2)

I have since added Ohlins and Stop Techs to my car. It's still amazing. I can't see ever selling the car.

But I took out a 997 mk2 Turbo and GT3 back to back last weekend. The turbo was nice. But the performance levels were not much different than my ESS M3.

The GT3, however, was simply amazing. It was just so precise, raw and pure! You couldn't wipe the smile from my face.

Based on the resale of my M3' I'll probably just keep the car, but I'm definitely in the hunt for a GT3 now.
__________________

____________________
ESS VT1 6MT E92 ///M3
JFWM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #171
Groundpilot
Major
 
Groundpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

Posts: 1,243
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
There's always going to be a different opinion on this subject. Just like some people prefer AWD or even FWD at the track (though those people are weird too). But anyone who says FI makes the M3 much more fun at the track is either a really bad driver, or a really good one.
I guess i am a really good driver
My ess vt-1 kit made my m3 more thah 10mph faster on long straights wich translates into much better lap times.
Now back to the topic. New carrera 911S is faster than E9X M3 and its not even close.
The thing is, m3 is easier to drive fast for amateur drivers. Porsche and Corvette cars on the other hand, are more difficult to control at the limit, but if driven properly, BMW has no chance against new 911 S , gt3 or c6 z06. I am talking stock vs stock.
__________________

David
Groundpilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #172
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I guess i am a really good driver
My ess vt-1 kit made my m3 more thah 10mph faster on long straights wich translates into much better lap times.
Now back to the topic. New carrera 911S is faster than E9X M3 and its not even close.
The thing is, m3 is easier to drive fast for amateur drivers. Porsche and Corvette cars on the other hand, are more difficult to control at the limit, but if driven properly, BMW has no chance against new 911 S , gt3 or c6 z06. I am talking stock vs stock.
I've experienced the opposite and validated by lots of data from my Solo DL. When I removed my VT1, I was actually slightly faster at the track (while the car felt slower on the street). And I've gone down the straightaways next a couple VT1 supercharged M3's and they never pulled on me when I was N/A.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #173
6underpressure
Private First Class
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: south nj

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

I was so excited to test drive my first Pcar... Drove a 991-911 base msrp was 98k... Drove nice as a car I would really need a better test drive to judge but it was missing that hard core feel. Almost felt like a 335 from a m3 (thicker wheel Ect )I think I would need more options to get it that way I want it but now I'd be looking at 130k
6underpressure is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #174
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,022
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6underpressure View Post
I was so excited to test drive my first Pcar... Drove a 991-911 base msrp was 98k... Drove nice as a car I would really need a better test drive to judge but it was missing that hard core feel. Almost felt like a 335 from a m3 (thicker wheel Ect )I think I would need more options to get it that way I want it but now I'd be looking at 130k
Honestly, I was more impressed with the Boxster I test drove right before I got into a 911 C4S. Now that is a fun car that I could kind of justify the price. The $140k C4S? Not so much.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #175
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 1,049
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I guess i am a really good driver
My ess vt-1 kit made my m3 more thah 10mph faster on long straights wich translates into much better lap times.
Now back to the topic. New carrera 911S is faster than E9X M3 and its not even close.
The thing is, m3 is easier to drive fast for amateur drivers. Porsche and Corvette cars on the other hand, are more difficult to control at the limit, but if driven properly, BMW has no chance against new 911 S , gt3 or c6 z06. I am talking stock vs stock.
Actually the 991 is easier to drive faster than the e92 m3 and especially the new m3/4. Its limits are so much higher as well that even at 8/10s driving a 991 its going to kill an e92 m3 and as we can see full on out, even a base 991 will destroy an m4 on track despite a huge power to weight advantage of the m4. The 911 is just such a much better balanced car.
And yes, the 991S is a MUCH faster car than an e9x m3. 119 mph trap speed for a 400 hp car isnt something any other manuf will come close to. The M4 is trapping close to that but we all know that cars making upwards of 100 hp more. And same day same test, the 991S traps the same as a C7 vette which has 60 more hp and well over 100 tq more.
__________________
IPE/Gintani
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #176
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,231
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Actually the 991 is easier to drive faster than the e92 m3 and especially the new m3/4. Its limits are so much higher as well that even at 8/10s driving a 991 its going to kill an e92 m3 and as we can see full on out, even a base 991 will destroy an m4 on track despite a huge power to weight advantage of the m4. The 911 is just such a much better balanced car.
And yes, the 991S is a MUCH faster car than an e9x m3. 119 mph trap speed for a 400 hp car isnt something any other manuf will come close to. The M4 is trapping close to that but we all know that cars making upwards of 100 hp more. And same day same test, the 991S traps the same as a C7 vette which has 60 more hp and well over 100 tq more.

wow, you just never stop with the BS. show me independent tests where the 991S traps 119. I can show you one where the M4 trapped over 120. So how is it that in your world the car that has consistently trapped higher is "close to" the 991S. get a life or a 991S already and quit posting all of your Porsche fanboyism around here. nobody cares.
Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST