BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Saandiaago
Private

Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Extended Maintenance - How to win?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I bought a brand new 2013 E92 M3 from the dealer several months ago. I was a sucker and added extended maintenance into the deal. Reading the posts on this blog makes me think this was a mistake. However, now that it is already done I want to try to get the most out of it possible and maybe even come out ahead. I use this car as my daily driver and enjoy putting miles on yet. Does anybody have enough knowledge regarding maintenance milestones/services that I should meet before the coverage expires to potentially come out ahead? I suspect if I can get new brakes and rotors then it might be worth it? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Saandiaago is offline   United_States
      06-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Did you just call this community a blog???

There isn't really a way to plan to come out ahead on maintenance -- otherwise everyone would do it, and BMW would stop offering it because they'd no longer make money on the deal. Sure if you went out of your way to put on extra miles and drive in a way that chewed up your pads and rotors abnormally quickly, you might be able to ensure you get parts and service that would've cost more than your maintenance plan, but what have you actually achieved there? You just put a bunch of extra wear and tear on your car driving in a way you wouldn't have if you hadn't purchased the plan in the first place.

You'll either come out ahead on your maintenance plan or you won't. BMW will only perform the service that the car and BMW's service interval guidelines specify, so there's no way you can game the system in a way that makes sense, unless maybe if you discover that you're CLOSE to needing new pads and rotors around the expiration of your maintenance plan and try to run them down to the end just in time.

But you're MANY years and MANY miles away from the expiration of your extended maintenance plan, and who knows, you may not even still own the car by then -- so I think it's a tad premature to be worrying about this now. I'd focus more on enjoying your new M3.

(If you're still curious/worried, rotors really are the only way to come out ahead here, and that's entirely condition-based. Spark plugs are worth something and they're supposed to be replaced every 37K miles. You have DCT, so transmission fluid is out, but diff fluid is replaced every third oil change, NOT counting the 1200-mile service -- but that's not especially expensive anyway. Other than that, it's just relatively nickel and dime stuff like oil, filters, and wiper blades. Unfortunately BMW won't even do the extra stuff you should be doing, like coolant, power steering fluid, and obviously more frequent oil changes.)
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 06-25-2014 at 10:38 PM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      06-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Saandiaago
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Did you just call this community a blog???
That was a mistake. Funny.
Thanks for the solid advice. That is about what I figured. I learned for next time. Maybe I have good reason to track the car a little and get some use out of those brakes and rotors. As if I needed an excuse to do that anyways!
      06-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
That was a mistake. Funny.
Thanks for the solid advice. That is about what I figured. I learned for next time. Maybe I have good reason to track the car a little and get some use out of those brakes and rotors. As if I needed an excuse to do that anyways!
That's the spirit!

However, if you start tracking you'll want to upgrade your brake fluid, and before too long you'll also want to upgrade to at least a "street performance" pad like the one StopTech offers -- at which point you become ineligible for brake fluid, pad, and rotor replacement under the maintenance plan, so you'll have wiped out any possibility of coming out ahead on the maintenance plan. But it's totally worth it, and frankly it's only way to truly understand just how great an M3 is and get your money's worth out of it.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      06-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
DTaylorE90M3

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Im 80% sure you cna go back to the dealer and get your money back on the warrenty purchase. Especially since it technically isnt even activated yet because you have your factory one.
      06-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
preppy

Drives: 2011.5 e92 MW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylorE90M3 View Post
Im 80% sure you cna go back to the dealer and get your money back on the warrenty purchase. Especially since it technically isnt even activated yet because you have your factory one.
Yeah...or they may end up prorating it. I managed to get a couple dollars back (at least that's how it felt) from our VW dealer after we sold our old Tiguan and was about 1.2 years into a 3 years extended warranty/maintenance plan.

Just ask. The worst is they so no to the refund.

Maybe argue that your payment was more of a deposit for services not yet rendered, therefore, you are entitled to get it back....
      06-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Saandiaago
Private

Great idea about a refund on this. I'll need to read the fine print but it does make sense that I should be entitled to a refund given no services have yet been rendered. And if I do get the refund, I can apply that money to getting the car track ready.
      06-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
Beemdog
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

At least they should give you a credit toward something cool, like an M Performance Exhaust!
      06-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
grantmax
Major

Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylorE90M3 View Post
Yeah...or they may end up prorating it. I managed to get a couple dollars back (at least that's how it felt) from our VW dealer after we sold our old Tiguan and was about 1.2 years into a 3 years extended warranty/maintenance plan.

Just ask. The worst is they so no to the refund.

Maybe argue that your payment was more of a deposit for services not yet rendered, therefore, you are entitled to get it back....
This.

They do actually prorate these things if you sell the car ... or total it. You can get your money back in full.

If you don't plan on tracking, go divest yourself of the plan. You can always add it later if you find that your brakes have been replaced twice in 48k miles. FYI - most "average" drivers don't replace their brakes for the first time until closer to 55-60k.
      06-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
TX
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Very sorry for the thread jack, I passed on the extended maint plan, but did take the extended warranty. I have a year and 4 months left.
I did my own plugs, rear diff fluid, intake filter, cabin filter, and oil change @ 37K and saved a good thousand bucks easily on dealer prices doing it myself. I broke a coil pack doing the plug swap since I couldn't get a coil puller so I replaced that coil pack. I'm facing the dreaded $3,000 dealer break job. Any tips on doing it yourself?
Thanks.
      06-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
preppy

Drives: 2011.5 e92 MW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Very sorry for the thread jack, I passed on the extended maint plan, but did take the extended warranty. I have a year and 4 months left.
I did my own plugs, rear diff fluid, intake filter, cabin filter, and oil change @ 37K and saved a good thousand bucks easily on dealer prices doing it myself. I broke a coil pack doing the plug swap since I couldn't get a coil puller so I replaced that coil pack. I'm facing the dreaded $3,000 dealer break job. Any tips on doing it yourself?
Thanks.
There's gotta be a reputable independent shop in South FL that can do it for cheaper....

Side note: Is that how much brakes cost for our cars?
      06-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
TX
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Apologies if I may have the figure wrong, but I think I was told somewhere around 1200 or 1500 per axle. Perhaps that includes rotors? Does anyone have more info?
      06-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
Saandiaago
Private

Well I did read the fine print on my extended maintenance plan and it states very clearly that the only way to get a refund is to claim the car as a total loss. I could ask the dealer for a credit toward something else as others have suggested and will consider this. I like the comment on applying credit toward the M performance exhaust. Excellent idea but the car already came optioned with it; and I do agree that it sounds incredible. Again, thanks for the help.