BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JB
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chitown

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Don't try this at home, EVER!

At the risk of (well, actually, pretty much guaranteed) sounding like a complete dumbass, I am going to tell you my experience last night just in case there are other idiots like me out there.

I went out to walk the dog before going to bed at around midnight and I noticed the valve caps that I received in the afternoon sitting on the counter. Oh, cool, I should put them on... but like any responsible M3 driver, I should check the tire pressure before I put them on first. I got my trusty Moroso gauge out and I was surprised to see 41 PSI in two tire (one rear and one front) AND 33 PSI in the other two (again, one rear and one front). Eh, sucks. Then I remembered, I thought I saw an air compressor in the trunk and how cool it was that BMW provided this nice tool! So I dug in and found the compressor and a black cylinder below it. I took both of them out and saw a helpful diagram on how to put them together. I thought, oh, the electronic unit and the pumping unit are separated and should be assembled together. I shook the canister and heard liquid sound inside. Oh, must the oil to lubricate the pump. I have absolutely NO IDEA why I was thinking what I was thinking. It was late and dark in the garage.
The unit also said RTFM. Again, as any self-proclaimed techy would do, I thought to myself, I don't need to read no stinking manual to operate an air compressor!

So, I assembled everything, hooked it up and starting pumping the rear tire in the driver's side. I left the door open so I don't crimp the power line from the cig adapter (so regretted doing it). Left it running for about 30 sec then thinking, it's only 3 PSI or so I need so that should do it. I started unplugging the hose and when it was off, all hell broke loose!!!
This white liquid was spraying out of the hose like a frigging firefighter's hose and everything in 10 ft radius was covered with white stuff including my now-ugly face, shoes, gym bag, the whole side of the car (I detailed the car last weekend by the way) AND the interior of the partially open door… I was SOOO PISSED!!!
It took an hour and a half to clean all the crap off. I learned that this stuff turns into rubbery mask after it dries as I was peeling it off of my face and body. Sigh…

Anyway, will this $hit do anything to the TPMS? I am thinking no as it's included as OEM from the factory…

My car is black, by the way
Dougeefresh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

sorry about your luck, takes some balls to admit you didn't rtfm and you sprayed the goop with your compressor.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
lsal
We are all Longwong
 
lsal's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Frozen Blue
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cambridge, MA

Posts: 833
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Very funny!!! Thank you so much for sharing your moment of stupidity... Wish others would do so as well...
lsal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Prowess Symphony
Major General
 
Prowess Symphony's Avatar
 
Drives: ///Mistress
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WV

Posts: 5,860
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Oh man that is going to be a really funny story one day when you aren't so pissed. At least you can admit what happened though!
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
s65e90
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougeefresh View Post
At the risk of (well, actually, pretty much guaranteed) sounding like a complete dumbass, I am going to tell you my experience last night just in case there are other idiots like me out there.

I went out to walk the dog before going to bed at around midnight and I noticed the valve caps that I received in the afternoon sitting on the counter. Oh, cool, I should put them on... but like any responsible M3 driver, I should check the tire pressure before I put them on first. I got my trusty Moroso gauge out and I was surprised to see 41 PSI in two tire (one rear and one front) AND 33 PSI in the other two (again, one rear and one front). Eh, sucks. Then I remembered, I thought I saw an air compressor in the trunk and how cool it was that BMW provided this nice tool! So I dug in and found the compressor and a black cylinder below it. I took both of them out and saw a helpful diagram on how to put them together. I thought, oh, the electronic unit and the pumping unit are separated and should be assembled together. I shook the canister and heard liquid sound inside. Oh, must the oil to lubricate the pump. I have absolutely NO IDEA why I was thinking what I was thinking. It was late and dark in the garage.
The unit also said RTFM. Again, as any self-proclaimed techy would do, I thought to myself, I don't need to read no stinking manual to operate an air compressor!

So, I assembled everything, hooked it up and starting pumping the rear tire in the driver's side. I left the door open so I don't crimp the power line from the cig adapter (so regretted doing it). Left it running for about 30 sec then thinking, it's only 3 PSI or so I need so that should do it. I started unplugging the hose and when it was off, all hell broke loose!!!
This white liquid was spraying out of the hose like a frigging firefighter's hose and everything in 10 ft radius was covered with white stuff including my now-ugly face, shoes, gym bag, the whole side of the car (I detailed the car last weekend by the way) AND the interior of the partially open door… I was SOOO PISSED!!!
It took an hour and a half to clean all the crap off. I learned that this stuff turns into rubbery mask after it dries as I was peeling it off of my face and body. Sigh…

Anyway, will this $hit do anything to the TPMS? I am thinking no as it's included as OEM from the factory…

My car is black, by the way


still sounds like you didn't get it or understand what the stuff is for. You only need air in the tire, that other crap is for flats. Kinda silly mistake IMO
s65e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
still sounds like you didn't get it or understand what the stuff is for. You only need air in the tire, that other crap is for flats. Kinda silly mistake IMO
based on the mess he made, I'm going out on a limb here and say: I think he understands it now.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,421
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
Very funny!!! Thank you so much for sharing your moment of stupidity... Wish others would do so as well...
yes lets hear more screw ups. first hauling flooring now this!
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 07-31-2013 at 10:39 AM.
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,676
iTrader: (0)

Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,421
iTrader: (5)

next time try and get the wife to blow it up manually.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
next time try and get the wife to blow it up manually.
blow? I think you mean, next time get the wife to take the spray of the goop from the hose?
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JB
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chitown

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
based on the mess he made, I'm going out on a limb here and say: I think he understands it now.
Uh, yeah...
Did I mention I have run-flats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
yes lets hear more screw ups. first hauling flooring now this!
Now, now, let's not kick the guy who's down.
Dougeefresh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
InterJon
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alabama

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

Made my day. Thanks for the laugh.
InterJon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
dreamspeed
Major
 
dreamspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,059
iTrader: (0)

Out of curiosity, can this thing actually be used as a regular air compressor somehow?

I basically checked in the trunk to see if the thing was there and never looked at it again. Thanks
__________________
dreamspeed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
///WeissBlitz76
First Lieutenant
 
///WeissBlitz76's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 ZCP M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TN

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Dayyyyyyyum...sorry for your misfortune, man, but much respect for a guy who is willing to laugh at himself and let others laugh at...er, WITH him! AND, a sage warning for others, besides!
///WeissBlitz76 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JB
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chitown

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Out of curiosity, can this thing actually be used as a regular air compressor somehow?

I basically checked in the trunk to see if the thing was there and never looked at it again. Thanks
I am going to try without the canister when I get home.
Dougeefresh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
cidle323
Second Lieutenant
 
cidle323's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 209
iTrader: (2)

Oh man that blows but had a good laugh......
cidle323 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
M3AG
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gatineau

Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Don’t you just hate when that happens? I practice due diligence to ensure my compressor’s goop is sprayed in only very specific areas
Me too...
M3AG is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
dreamspeed
Major
 
dreamspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,059
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougeefresh View Post
I am going to try without the canister when I get home.
I did some googling and it looks like it's possible to just use it as a regular air compressor although there is mention of a new style and old style mobility kit
__________________
dreamspeed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
ibmike
What the Hell ?
 
ibmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,518
iTrader: (6)

I may be going out on a limb her , But im thinkn Dougee is one of those fun, silly goofballs, and maybe Blonde, and possibly not the most mechanically inclined forum member, lol
__________________
Life's a Bitch,Just make sure that Bitch is Beautiful.
ibmike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
 
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I did some googling and it looks like it's possible to just use it as a regular air compressor although there is mention of a new style and old style mobility kit
Mine works fine to blow up the tyres...use it all the time.
__________________
SenorFunkyPants is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JB
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chitown

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
I may be going out on a limb her , But im thinkn Dougee is one of those fun, silly goofballs, and maybe Blonde, and possibly not the most mechanically inclined forum member, lol
Well, I wouldn't say I am not mechanically inclined as I perform a lot of work on my car stopping short engine rebuild but I do goofy things like this once in a while. And, no, i am not blonde although my actions may say otherwise.
Dougeefresh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,416
iTrader: (0)

Yes it can be used as a regular compressor without the canister, but it's slow as hell and the needle on mine reads about 4 PSI higher than actual -- plus you need to overinflate to account for the air you'll lose while unscrewing the damn thing from the valve cap. So while it can be handy at the track, definitely recheck pressure with a real gauge after using it.

OP, I'm not sure tires are supposed to be run for very long after putting that goop into them even if they weren't punctured beforehand. It would definitely be rubbing salt into an open wound to have to buy a new tire (or two to balance the axle) because of this, but better safe than sorry.

Next time RTFM so you're not spraying your white goo haphazardly out of your hose everywhere at high pressure.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST