BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
OP hasn't logged in for like 2 weeks. I guess I'll contact Girodisc myself and see what happens. A group buy would be really nice.
It looks like there are enough ppl here that are interested in these rotors. Are you going to contact the Girodisc? If not, i will. Let us know
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,398
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
It looks like there are enough ppl here that are interested in these rotors. Are you going to contact the Girodisc? If not, i will. Let us know
Left them a message on FB, let's see if they get back. Like I said, I'm still more in the feeler camp. If you for sure want a set, you can take the lead if you want.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Left them a message on FB, let's see if they get back. Like I said, I'm still more in the feeler camp. If you for sure want a set, you can take the lead if you want.
I almost pulled the trigger on RB rotors, but after i saw this thread, i am waiting. My front left rotor has deep grooves from something that got stuck between the rotor and pad, nobody wants to resurface crossdriled rotors so i need replacement ASAP. I dont think i am going to wait for a group buy. It usually takes a long time to get the product even if they decide to go with this.
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #26
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,398
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on RB rotors, but after i saw this thread, i am waiting. My front left rotor has deep grooves from something that got stuck between the rotor and pad, nobody wants to resurface crossdriled rotors so i need replacement ASAP. I dont think i am going to wait for a group buy. It usually takes a long time to get the product even if they decide to go with this.
Got a word back from them.
- They'd need someone to send them stock rotors, so they can take measurements
- Need 10 people, with 50% deposit in the beginning to make this happen.

Not sure if there's enough interest to get going?
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Got a word back from them.
- They'd need someone to send them stock rotors, so they can take measurements
- Need 10 people, with 50% deposit in the beginning to make this happen.

Not sure if there's enough interest to get going?
It would be very helpful to know 1) if rear rotors would also be included and 2) the weight savings, if any, compared to the stock rotors.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,398
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
It would be very helpful to know 1) if rear rotors would also be included and 2) the weight savings, if any, compared to the stock rotors.
I'll pass along the message. Will let you guys know.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
aus
Major General
118
Rep
7,420
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Rear rotors are messier to change out because of the rear parking drum.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Got a word back from them.
- They'd need someone to send them stock rotors, so they can take measurements
- Need 10 people, with 50% deposit in the beginning to make this happen.

Not sure if there's enough interest to get going?
I think i will order RB rotors today, but if they need stock rotors for measurment, i can send my front rotors to them after replacement.
Let me know. But lets make a list of ppl that are interested first.
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
vastano
Lieutenant
9
Rep
595
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (3)

i'm interested in a front set. I suppose we could choose what color hat we want too?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,398
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Rear rotors are messier to change out because of the rear parking drum.

.
They said rear parking brakes will not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I think i will order RB rotors today, but if they need stock rotors for measurment, i can send my front rotors to them after replacement.
Let me know. But lets make a list of ppl that are interested first.
Yea I would if I were you. This isn't going to be something that happens over night. I can get you in contact with the guy about the front used brakes.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #33
VrooM3
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you any sooner, i was on vacation. So yah, like W/// mentioned, i was told the same thing, 50% initial deposit is required and i was told that they preffered if one of the vendors here took on the group buy, but im not sure if that will be required if we can get the group buy going ourselves. i havent talked to them about the rear rotors but as has been mentioned above, they should be able to make them without any issues since they make units with built in drums for other cars too. the price i was told at around 800 was for the front pair, and replacement rings at 250-300 each for the oem 362x32mm size.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
VrooM3
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

i just contacted them on facebook again and asked for someone to join the thread if they can, it will make it a lot easier to co-ordinate the thread and get technical questions answered.

edit

i also was told this regarding the weight of the fronts :

"As far as weight goes its really difficult to say, we could potentially use one of two castings which have a different air gap which can in turn vary the weight by pretty fair amount. Additionally it really depends on how big we're physically able to make the hat based on the caliper and pad size. I would guess you would be looking at around 4-5 lbs. of weight savings compared to the OEM rotor but that is still just a guess"
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,398
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrooM3 View Post
i just contacted them on facebook again and asked for someone to join the thread if they can, it will make it a lot easier to co-ordinate the thread and get technical questions answered.

edit

i also was told this regarding the weight of the fronts :

"As far as weight goes its really difficult to say, we could potentially use one of two castings which have a different air gap which can in turn vary the weight by pretty fair amount. Additionally it really depends on how big we're physically able to make the hat based on the caliper and pad size. I would guess you would be looking at around 4-5 lbs. of weight savings compared to the OEM rotor but that is still just a guess"
That would be one of the biggest reason to switch for me. My rotors are in decent shape now (I think). But if we can save 3-5 lbs, I'd be pretty happy, rather than going back to another set of stocks.

It would be really nice for one of the forum vendors to pick them up. Seems like there's definitely enough interest, especially for people that don't want to drop $6k on BBK's.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
VrooM3
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on RB rotors, but after i saw this thread, i am waiting. My front left rotor has deep grooves from something that got stuck between the rotor and pad, nobody wants to resurface crossdriled rotors so i need replacement ASAP. I dont think i am going to wait for a group buy. It usually takes a long time to get the product even if they decide to go with this.
i was told by a local shop that they can blanchard grind cross drilled rotors, as long as they arent floating. the machine they were using was a flywheel resurfacing machine. if the group buy doesnt go through ill have to get it done soon on mine and let you guys know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
VrooM3
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That would be one of the biggest reason to switch for me. My rotors are in decent shape now (I think). But if we can save 3-5 lbs, I'd be pretty happy, rather than going back to another set of stocks.

It would be really nice for one of the forum vendors to pick them up. Seems like there's definitely enough interest, especially for people that don't want to drop $6k on BBK's.
and from what im reading on forums people are getting noticeably longer life out of them than oem, particularly in high performance applications eg tracking etc, so after one or two sets replaced it should pay for itself. if a vendor picks it up it would make the process smooth and it looks like enough people are interested. they also do contract work so if the vendors want they can slap their own brands on .
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #38
Mrbig
Major
15
Rep
1,005
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335is
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.C

iTrader: (1)

RB rotors ? Two piece ? Stock replacement ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #39
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That would be one of the biggest reason to switch for me. My rotors are in decent shape now (I think). But if we can save 3-5 lbs, I'd be pretty happy, rather than going back to another set of stocks.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #40
ridin135
Colonel
34
Rep
2,264
Posts

 
Drives: 991 C2S & E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville

iTrader: (7)

I would be in for this and could also send in a pair of stock front rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
84
Rep
5,398
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Are most people interested in fronts only, or full set? I'm a little too OCD to have front slotted rotors, with OEM rear drilled rotors to be honest.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
lutfy
Second Lieutenant
lutfy's Avatar
3
Rep
251
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT, 2005 997 C2S
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (1)

You guys beat me to it.

I have been speaking with Coleman Racing. They make rotors for Nascar and Prodrive. Basically they are the manufacturers if you will. I have used their custom 2 piece on my STi and E36 m3.

The good thing is that they can give us blanks (no slots, no drills, no drama) which is better for pad wear as well. Secondly, they are heat treated and really can avoid cracks (first hand experience with my STi). Pricing is similar, no need for 10+ orders. If there is interest with even 3-4, we can make it happen. Still need to send rotors in for measurements.

Cost $400 each side. This includes rotor ring (replacement rings in the future is only $150 per side which is also heat treated so less prone to cracking, includes pins to put it to the hats ($15) and the aluminum hat $235.
A lot of BMW CCA Club racing guys run this (this is how I came across them).

http://www.colemanracing.com/

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #43
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Are most people interested in fronts only, or full set? I'm a little too OCD to have front slotted rotors, with OEM rear drilled rotors to be honest.
Full set subject to a fair estimate on the F/R weight savings over stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #44
ayao
Thread killer
8
Rep
643
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
You guys beat me to it.

I have been speaking with Coleman Racing. They make rotors for Nascar and Prodrive. Basically they are the manufacturers if you will. I have used their custom 2 piece on my STi and E36 m3.

The good thing is that they can give us blanks (no slots, no drills, no drama) which is better for pad wear as well. Secondly, they are heat treated and really can avoid cracks (first hand experience with my STi). Pricing is similar, no need for 10+ orders. If there is interest with even 3-4, we can make it happen. Still need to send rotors in for measurements.

Cost $400 each side. This includes rotor ring (replacement rings in the future is only $150 per side which is also heat treated so less prone to cracking, includes pins to put it to the hats ($15) and the aluminum hat $235.
A lot of BMW CCA Club racing guys run this (this is how I came across them).

http://www.colemanracing.com/

Lutfy
This would be fantastic...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST