BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

OneEighty

07-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #67
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo

Glad you're enjoying it!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #68
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Wanted to leave a short review. Have had it on my car for well over a week now.

Took the M3 out for a mountain run with a few other M's and the car performed flawlessly. I think the Benvotronic mod is the perfect compliment to the stage 2 the and Euro MDM.

In normal mode, the steering is definitely stiffer. I can only describe it turned up 1 notch.
In Sport mode, the steering is significantly stiffer, I'd describe it as turned up 2 notches. Very beefy.

This is the kind of mod where if you go back to driving a bone stock M3, you'll be able to tell right away.
Perfectly stated. Between Stage 2 tune and servotronic you really don't need M mode to have fun. My car is my DD so they allow me to drive on normal mode often so that when I do switch to M (which is very often) it still makes the car feel special. Going back to a bone stock M3 is not an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #69
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium
Rep

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Just got the Servotronic software (upgrade)..........
Before there was not match difference between Normal and Sport...now there is
In normal there is more steering assist and in sport there is a tighter and firmer feeling of the steering wheel that gives me a very secure feeling !
In one word....again this is....PERFECTION feels just right now, and a huge improvement of the feeling... when steering !
That's why i say now.... Mike thank you so match for all this
And this is another proof that Mike-Benvo & BPM are the best ... no doubt
      08-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #70
Mike Benvo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Just got the Servotronic software (upgrade)..........
Before there was not match difference between Normal and Sport...now there is
In normal there is more steering assist and in sport there is a tighter and firmer feeling of the steering wheel that gives me a very secure feeling !
In one word....again this is....PERFECTION feels just right now, and a huge improvement of the feeling... when steering !
That's why i say now.... Mike thank you so match for all this
And this is another proof that Mike-Benvo & BPM are the best ... no doubt
Glad you like it!! We've heard nothing but glowing reports back

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #71
rypik@BW
Rep

Drives: S65/S85

Is it anything beyond coding that could be done by everyone out there with generic OBD cable ?

I'm sure that i've seen some power-steering related coding options but haven't played with them. If yes why not to post details for community ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #72
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypik@BW View Post
Is it anything beyond coding that could be done by everyone out there with generic OBD cable ?

I'm sure that i've seen some power-steering related coding options but haven't played with them. If yes why not to post details for community ?
This servo modification is NOT coding, it is related together with the engine tuning map.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #73
rypik@BW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTek View Post
This servo modification is NOT coding, it is related together with the engine tuning map.
Thanks. Have anyone played with settings i was reffering to ? Sure there were some.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #74
Mike Benvo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTek View Post
+1

Our servotronic changes have been extensively tested on the track, including the Nurburgring and many of them in the US. Not to mention many nice mountain roads and canyons across the world. It's a fantastic change!

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #75
rypik@BW
Rep

I've just reminded myself of E60 chassis - KGM was the module responsible for servotronic settings and it was of possible to play with it via coding and GESCHW_WERTE_KOMFORT_KGM / STROMWERTE_KOMFORT_KGM.

E90... also have a lot of PS assistance settings available in JunctionBox module - SPORT_GESCHWINDIGKEIT/COMFORT_GESCHWINDIGKEIT words... have some options to play with... if only anyone have some free time to check it and play with nettodata...

At least i do not see any reason why DME should be responsible for controlling PS, ofc might be wrong, but who knows :P
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #76
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
I have it too, and guess what, Thank you Mr Benvo.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #77
Mike Benvo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I've just reminded myself of E60 chassis - KGM was the module responsible for servotronic settings and it was of possible to play with it via coding and GESCHW_WERTE_KOMFORT_KGM / STROMWERTE_KOMFORT_KGM.

E90... also have a lot of PS assistance settings available in JunctionBox module - SPORT_GESCHWINDIGKEIT/COMFORT_GESCHWINDIGKEIT words... have some options to play with... if only anyone have some free time to check it and play with nettodata...

At least i do not see any reason why DME should be responsible for controlling PS, ofc might be wrong, but who knows :P
Have fun with that. The DME controls a lot more than you think. Even controls traction related functions. We're not done releasing more things for this car.

It's better to do it right way or not at all. We also control the E60 M5's steering via the engine software. We don't really spend much time on non M's.

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 08-03-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #78
rypik@BW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Have fun with that. The DME controls a lot more than you think.
I'm not sure why you're on assumption that i doubt in your solution. Just would like to know more details to undertstand it better as "tested on ring" sounds at least as mkt-bs. How testing on ring looked like ? Who did it ? Mike, no offence here, just don't like to be fed with generic info that it enhances driving experience. Show differences at chart for stock and modified parameters, like in engine tuning.

Quote:
It's better to do it right way or not at all. We also control the E60 M5's steering via the engine software. We don't really spend much time on non M's.
True on that, but just wanted to point out that there are other solutions available like playing with predefinied settings via coding, that are working in fact.

If you cannot compare your solution to my suggestion (about coding) some doubts are born, at least in my head.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #79
Mike Benvo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypik@BW
Quote:
Have fun with that. The DME controls a lot more than you think.
I'm not sure why you're on assumption that i doubt in your solution. Just would like to know more details to undertstand it better as "tested on ring" sounds at least as mkt-bs. How testing on ring looked like ? Who did it ? Mike, no offence here, just don't like to be fed with generic info that it enhances driving experience. Show differences at chart for stock and modified parameters, like in engine tuning.

Quote:
True on that, but just wanted to point out that there are other solutions available like playing with predefinied settings via coding, that are working in fact.

If you cannot compare your solution to my suggestion (about coding) some doubts are born, at least in my head.
Don't buy it.

Ask coca cola for their recipe and see what they tell you. I already posted normal vs sport on the first page. There's nothing to doubt. And there is no need for comparison. It would be like comparing a piggyback to a legitimate Ecu tune. One is clearly the proper way. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 08-03-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #80
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: :O

Garage List
Quote:

I think the "tested on 'ring" is referring to customer(s) that have driven the ring after the adjustments and gave feedback. Only person that comes to mind is STi_traitor.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=43

You should probably start your own thread regarding this, you might get some more people willing to contribute to your discussion about it outside a vendor's thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #81
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 MW E92 M3

I'm looking forward to trying this out when I install my tune next week!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #82
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Anyone with drifting experience with these settings? Like the guy who is "saving it for two laps" type of drifting.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #83
ilya335
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Hey Mike, great to hear that you have another awesome tuning option for the M3! Even cooler that you're allowing previous customers to have this programmed free of charge. I'll see if I can bring by the M in a week once I'm back in town
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #84
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep

Drives: 2015 YMB F80 M3 M-DCT

Got a chance to try Benvo's steering servo tune at VIR this weekend. I can honestly say it helped me a ton. I felt more confident and I could feel more feedback in slower corners (30..80mph).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #85
MTM
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3

Just curious...can you talk a little more regarding how much this increases the load on the servo relative to the base case? How much do you expect this increased load to affect the life of affected components?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #86
W///
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Just curious...can you talk a little more regarding how much this increases the load on the servo relative to the base case? How much do you expect this increased load to affect the life of affected components?
If anything, I think it'd increase the life (although marginally I'm sure). The pump works less, thus why the steering is heavier. Not as much assist, depending on speed.

It really does make a huge difference IMHO.
      10-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #87
MTM
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If anything, I think it'd increase the life (although marginally I'm sure). The pump works less...
"I see", said the blind man. I was thinking of it backwards.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this now removes my very last excuse for getting all these tunes...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #88
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
"I see", said the blind man. I was thinking of it backwards.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this now removes my very last excuse for getting all these tunes...
You should go with Benvo's tune, European MDM and coding.
Appreciate 0